• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Sai

Man, I'm getting pretty sick of these redirecting ads on mobile GAF.

Why isn't BTB pistol starts yet? The rifles are too damn good, cmon!
Yep. But for every post like this, there'll probably be 3 from somewhere else justifying BR starts.

BTB would be so much better with the Magnum rather than the BR.

Trup1aya

Okay, so I just got Halo 5 yesterday, and none of the control options are what I want - bumper jumper with sprint on left stick click. I ended up going with Halo 4 controls, and using the Xbox accessories app to swap A and left stick click.

I tried it out for a few minutes and it seems to work perfectly fine in game, although menu navigation is awkward. Is this a viable option going forward, or are there some pitfalls with this scheme? I guess crouch jumping (crouch now on B) is awkward as well, but is that a big deal with clamber?

Crouch jumping is still pretty crucial. As is crouching in general, is it's an important part of strafing.

Personally, I can't see a reason to have sprint on left stick. It'll put you at a disadvantage. When it comes time to let lead fly, sprinting is the last thing you'll want to do. No need to have it under your thumb at all times.

To reach certain ledges, you'll need to crouch and clamber. For that reason alone I could never have either on a face button.

I recommend bumper jumper with A to sprint. With Sprint set to toggle, you'll see that it is the your least critical of all your inputs.

jem0208

Any reason in particular? I'm pretty happy with mine, menu troubles aside.

The reason I'd say get used to another control scheme is because after 5 or 6 games of getting used to it you won't look back and won't have to deal with weird menu issues.

The reasons I like pashooter are:

- It puts aim on LT which makes it much easier to rescope mid shootout
- It allows you to keep your thumb on the right stick for the vast majority of inputs, jump being the only annoying one however, I find being able to aim whilst jumping far less important than most of the other inputs.

Being able to crouch whilst aiming is also incredibly important, it can have a big impact on a 1v1.

Madness

Dev BTB maps aren't coming. 343 doesn't want people playing BTB, they want them playing Warzone.

People just are forgetting Halo 5 is meant to make ongoing money for 343. It's in their interest as a company selling a product to make sure they maximize the profit from it.

It's why Firefight was cut for episodic Spartan Ops in Halo 4 during the height of the Telltale walking dead episodic content craze.

It's why new characters are hamfisted into storylines so that they can sell toys and novels and other games and books about Jameson Locke and Commander Palmer etc. Warzone drives REQ usage and purchases. It's why REQ leveling was increased so you could use more of your reqs per match and also so you run out and have to get more either through cash or playing more.

Watch as Firefight Warzone you have to play with others and the AI onslaught will be so brutal that you'll be calling in your ghost ultras and phaetons and mantis and heavy reqs.

It puts aim on LT which makes it much easier to rescope mid shootout
It puts aim on LT which makes it much easier
It puts aim on LT
aim on LT
I knew there was something wrong with Jem.
16Jvx.gif

I thought the same at first, it genuinely helps though. Clicking the right stick in all the time whilst aiming is a pain.

Also melee on right stick is oddly satisfying.

I'm kind of weird for control schemes, I always went with defaults, but with 5 I used Halo 4, I also use Halo 4 in MCC. With an Elite I also have the benefit of having jump and crouch on paddles if needed, but for 5, I only use crouch as I find it more important in 5 for fights.

Nah man. Default elite settings for mp is ace.

Used to be green thumb on the default controller. Upgrade to the elite and play halo how it should be played with 2 paddles minimum.

Nooobs!!!!!!!!!!

LT for aiming is only good if you dont zoom in more with snipes.

Edit: only issue i have is my sens going back and forth from 4 to 5 as i use the tall stick.

The Battlefront thread about the game being dead on PC within 4 months got me thinking. If Halo 5 existed on PC would it have a similar fate? Lots of PC games are plagued by this, Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront can all be server ghost towns. I think Halo would actually be one of the most popular games, it's greatly balanced and has a large skill gap/learning curve, I think the PC community would appreciate its qualities.

IHaveIce

Banned
The Battlefront thread about the game being dead on PC within 4 months got me thinking. If Halo 5 existed on PC would it have a similar fate? Lots of PC games are plagued by this, Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront can all be server ghost towns. I think Halo would actually be one of the most popular games, it's greatly balanced and has a large skill gap/learning curve, I think the PC community would appreciate its qualities.

only if it would be super cheap or free

I doubt PC would bring the numbers ppl expect

Madness

only if it would be super cheap or free

I doubt PC would bring the numbers ppl expect

Summit brings like 20k viewers when he plays on twitch and he said simple reason he doesn't play H5 more is that it's not on pc.

I don't think it'll be #1 most played game but it'll DEFINITELY have more PC streamers than Xbox One streamers. The game went from 96k viewers back to like 900 viewers as soon as tournament ended.

Ramirez

Yep. But for every post like this, there'll probably be 3 from somewhere else justifying BR starts.

BTB would be so much better with the Magnum rather than the BR.

I just don't understand how anyone has fun with it. Navigating a map is impossible...the last time BTB was good was in Halo 3 which started you with a long range weapon that couldn't cross map, nor was it hit scan. It's been a fast decline since Reach introduced the DMR, and is a large reason why I couldn't give any less of a fuck for them not devoting resources to BTB dev maps.

MaGlock

I had a blast playing BTB today. They either really loosened up the skill matching or I was just on fire because I put up some huge numbers today. New maps were nice but didnt see Valhalla once in 4 hours

I had a blast playing BTB today. They either really loosened up the skill matching or I was just on fire because I put up some huge numbers today. New maps were nice but didnt see Valhalla once in 4 hours

They did loosen the match ups for social playlists I believe.

Akai__

I make a comparison with Halo 3 BTB and how non-hitscan really made it more enjoyable due to not being able to cross map and THE Halo CE elitists pops out. Still living in a bubble and can't get over his favourite game 15 years later. Same guy who is talking shit to the Halo community and was saying how H3 people were the worst thing that ever happened to Halo. There is a good reason that idiot is on my ignore list.

That gif also straight up shows that he doesn't know how to shoot in Halo 3. I almost died of laughter. lmao

tbh, I think Halo 5 is the first time since CE that hitscan weaponry can dominate the sandbox without necessarily bottlenecking long-distance engagements, not to mention the fact that hipfire is still viable. We were doing some large-scale customs at Forgehub last night and a few of the maps (mine included) had some very Halo 3 BTB / CE larger-scale arena-esque maps with wide open sightlines and BR starts, and even then it was still possible to survive multiple battles without worrying about getting spawntrapped or annihilated immediately on entering an open space.

Antifreeze is quite possibly the worst Halo map in existence. There's nothing like it. It's so awful.

Team Arena is almost unplayable due to how often Assault shows up. I played like 8 matches this morning. 5 of them were Assault and 3 were Slayer. Didn't get Flag or Strongholds once.

blamite

Ehhhhh, I don't think Antifreeze is that bad, but it's definitely not super good. Strongholds is okay on it? Not a fan of CTF there though.

EYEL1NER

Didn't like it when it first released. But I just played a few matches of BTB and loved it. Playing on sandtrap was a very pleasant surprise.
I played more than a couple BTB matches yesterday and didn't care for it too much. I didn't get Sandtrap a single time, nor did I get Valhalla. I don't care for the maps that are in regular rotation and I rarely just get straight up deathmatch, it is almost always capture the flag or strongholds. I wish we could veto maps/gametypes again.

I make a comparison with Halo 3 BTB and how non-hitscan really made it more enjoyable due to not being able to cross map and THE Halo CE elitists pops out. Still living in a bubble and can't get over his favourite game 15 years later. Same guy who is talking shit to the Halo community and was saying how H3 people were the worst thing that ever happened to Halo. There is a good reason that idiot is on my ignore list.

That gif also straight up shows that he doesn't know how to shoot in Halo 3. I almost died of laughter. lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25QyCxVkXwQ

jem0208

I don't actually dislike Antifreeze that much, I prefer infantry focused maps and it kinda manages to make a BTB map like that. Still I'd like some variety.

Halo 2 mp was miles better than 3/reach/4 imo.

Until the hax n cheats :,( loved h2a in the mcc and flipped between that and halo 4 btb. Halo 4 btb was fun.

Anywaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy....

You guys expect new precision weapons anytime soon? I cant wait till they start announcing halo 6* stuff. I want the flood to return baby.

Karl2177

I don't actually dislike Antifreeze that much, I prefer infantry focused maps and it kinda manages to make a BTB map like that. Still I'd like some variety.

I'm the same way, I like infantry focused BTB maps. My problem with it is that there are only 3 routes, 1 of which is vehicle focused, to the other base. It just creates bottlenecks that stall any forms of pushing the base. Slayer is whatever, CTF is one of the worst experiences, and Strongholds is pretty unfun also.

Akai__

What do people think of handling the Team Arena playlist in Seasons? Like, having 10 set amount of map and gametype combinations for each Season and then switch out some maps and gametypes for the next Season? If they do this, the map weighting should also be the same for every map. This way, you would have a better chance of playing all maps in the pool instead of running into stuff like Torque all the time. I wished they would increase the variety by blocking like the last 3 maps you played from showing up in the next game for all playlists, too. Not sure if they can, but I'd really love to see this. Played Torque 5 times in Slayer yesterday and that was a very bad experience.

Miker

Crouch jumping is still pretty crucial. As is crouching in general, is it's an important part of strafing.

Personally, I can't see a reason to have sprint on left stick. It'll put you at a disadvantage. When it comes time to let lead fly, sprinting is the last thing you'll want to do. No need to have it under your thumb at all times.

To reach certain ledges, you'll need to crouch and clamber. For that reason alone I could never have either on a face button.

I recommend bumper jumper with A to sprint. With Sprint set to toggle, you'll see that it is the your least critical of all your inputs.

The reason I'd say get used to another control scheme is because after 5 or 6 games of getting used to it you won't look back and won't have to deal with weird menu issues.

The reasons I like pashooter are:

- It puts aim on LT which makes it much easier to rescope mid shootout
- It allows you to keep your thumb on the right stick for the vast majority of inputs, jump being the only annoying one however, I find being able to aim whilst jumping far less important than most of the other inputs.

Being able to crouch whilst aiming is also incredibly important, it can have a big impact on a 1v1.

Points taken. I spent the most time with Halo 1/2, though, and I'd find it so weird to have zoom on LT. Unless it's that much better in Halo 5 - and I guess I can understand why it would be, given changes to scope - I'll probably stick with default Bumper Jumper.

Also, what's the best way to crouch jump? Should I have it on hold or toggle for L stick click?

Strider

What do people think of handling the Team Arena playlist in Seasons? Like, having 10 set amount of map and gametype combinations for each Season and then switch out some maps and gametypes for the next Season? If they do this, the map weighting should also be the same for every map. This way, you would have a better chance of playing all maps in the pool instead of running into stuff like Torque all the time. I wished they would increase the variety by blocking like the last 3 maps you played from showing up in the next game for all playlists, too. Not sure if they can, but I'd really love to see this. Played Torque 5 times yesterday and that was a very bad experience.

I think this makes MM way more complex that it needs to be.

Making it more likely new maps/gametypes show up after an update is fine... But that only needs to last a few days at most. The problem is right now this extra weight on the content lasts until the next update which is weeks long.

Caja 117

Once again my elite controller bumper broke, this was the replacement of my original one that broke in the same fashion, these controllers are not made to have heavy bumper use as I play bumper jumper, its a shame because its a great controller but, I now wouldnt recomend this to anyone.

Welfare

343 should find a way to force matchmaking into giving you the newest map that you haven't played on yet, and only give you an old map after you cycle through every new map.

Top Bottom