• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

get-out-frog.gif

M4xw8DC.gif

Madness

I just want to apologize to Wahrer. I took things way too far and they became personal for no reason. He didn't deserve the stuff I said or posted, either today or a few weeks back.

EYEL1NER

Just take solace in the fact that you PROBABLY would have gotten the exact same items had you spent your RP on golds or silvers.
That would have been quite a deal worse, I suppose. And when I said that I had a lot of REQ points that I was ready to blow, it was a lot relative to what I normally have, so not 50,000 or anything crazy. It was about 15,000 and I sold most everything in them, so I nabbed a ton of Bronze packs. It has been forever and a day since I got a REQ pack granting bonus REQ points and I used all of those I got from my Warzone bundle months ago (I am assuming that those REQs are only found in higher level packs? First time I have ever though about how I haven't gotten any of those recently).

Tell you what, the temptation to spend real money on REQs is higher for me than with any other game with this style of microtransactions. I know I mentioned on the last page that I was tempted to pick up the Arena bundle for what would only be $16.00; now I am fighting the urge to go get some MS cards at 20% off before the current sale on those ends in a few hours and buy some packs with those. I still might get the cards because 20% off on those is a decent-enough deal, but holding onto them will be tough.

jem0208

Okay, I'm trying something weird.

I've swapped A and right stick click in the button mapping app to see what having jump on the right stick is like.

jem0208

...but why
I've decided that the ideal actions to have on the face buttons (ie: the actions which are going to be used the least whilst aiming in a firefight) are change weapon, reload, sprint and melee.

I'd like to perform every other action whilst aiming at the same time. The closest I've come to an ideal controller scheme is Pashooter which has jump, sprint, reload and change weapon on the face buttons. Annoyingly there isn't a single perfect control scheme for me.

(I'd like melee off the face buttons as well but I decided being able to aim whilst jumping is more important than during a melee attack due to the massive melee aim assist.)

That's probably a bad idea. But I anticipate clips of clench action
Yeah, I already disabled it because it was too annoying in the menus...

Bumper jumper could also work if I were to map X to RB, RB to B and B to X... That would also be highly confusing in menus...

blamite

I don't get the joke, but Torque hurts my eyes as well. It's a very poor map from a visual clarity standpoint, IMO.
Having the primary light source, which would usually be a major point of reference for orientation, constantly moving and pushing shadows around seems like a pretty bad idea to me. I'm surprised they stuck with it considering that.

It sure looks cool though (although tha actual aesthetics of the map are pretty boring).

I played on that valhalla BTB map today and they did a really good job recreating it, also the first time I have used the Halo 2 BR in 5 and that lack of kickback is orgasmic for mid-long range combat, so good and so... halo.

I also got to use the CE magnum for one single kill on another map and that felt good too, the slower shooting speed but strong shots works so well.

SmartLink™

Because we needed ADS to be relevant, but also had to make something up so it fit within the universe.

smartlink is fine, in this case it should be showing the view from the gun itself and not zoomed in though.

Sorry for the big gif again guys it was not on purpose, I followed your advice and I made it more short but still the size was too big, is there any special web site to make smaller gifs?

Trup1aya

I feel you. I've already decided that once I'm done with silvers I'm gonna but some gold bundles. I've NEVER bought into microtransactions before. The funniest thing about it is that I never feel disadvantaged by not having best Req items. Infact I sell almost everything I get, and still usually finish towards the top of my team. I don't feel like I NEED better items. I just really want the certs for some reason.

I feel you. I've already decided that once I'm done with silvers I'm gonna but some gold bundles. I've NEVER bought into microtransactions before. The funniest thing about it is that I never feel disadvantaged by not having best Req items. Infact I sell almost everything I get, and still usually finish towards the top of my team. I don't feel like I NEED better items. I just really want the certs for some reason.

Me too, was thinking I would drop $20 as a charitable donation. Already sick of grinding Silvers, might as well get a head start.

EYEL1NER

I don't need the better items either, I guess. I don't ever get to use any of the highest REQ cost items as it is in Warzone, I've been in a match where my team made it over Lvl 7 once I think? But the completionist in me wants to get everything, especially the rare armor variants.
But yeah, the higher-cost items probably wouldn't do me any good if I could use them. Every time I get a Scorpion or Mantis through a Random Vehicle REQ, I don't accomplish much with it before being boarded and killed.
I think I'm a ways away from starting silvers, let alone finishing them though.

Trup1aya

SmartLink™

Because we needed ADS to be relevant, but also had to make something up so it fit within the universe.

The funny thing about smart-link is that it makes absolutely no sense within the universe.

If the weapons view-finder is electronically linked to the Spartans visor, why would the Spartan need to physically look Through a scope? More like stupid-link. 343i has yet to do a good job explaining this.

That said, in terms of gameplay, smart-link really isn't bad.we have Secondary firing modes or increases range, balanced by descoping and a loss of peripheral awareness. It plays good, and mostly looks good, even though it's stupid.

Ran into Zeez and his full team of 5 people back to back lol. Low and behold 2-3 quitters both times as they rekt our shit. Halo 5 is bizarre because you can't do jack shit as a solo player. 99% of 1v1's boil down to the enemy escaping and their teammate popping out for help, over and over again. It becomes grating after a while, people surviving with such ease, and coupling that with no party matching results in some really lopsided matches.

This is why I love the CE Pistol so much, because duels result in far less escapes than later Halo games. I understand that it's part of the design for high survival in Halo 2-5 (Halo 2-Reach accomplished this through longer kill times, whereas Halo 5 accomplishes this through thrusters, sprint, clamber, and occasionally ground pound), but I much prefer the high lethality instead of the defensive/safe game.

Halo 5 + CE Pistol (projectile) I know would be so damn fun, but currently that will never be a thing because I know how close-minded fans can be. And I'm not saying that in a condescending manner as I don't think my opinions are better than anyone else's (except maybe Akai's), but just wanted to share some thoughts on that front since I don't ever see anyone else commenting on or taking issue with H5's high survival rates. I love analyzing these things and thinking critically about how Halo can improve, so pliss understand this "elitist" shit that sometimes gets spewed is just that of an ignoramus.
Don't get me wrong, I'm used to sprint, but I would totally be fine with it being removed. Played tmcc (should be called halo 3 since that's all that ever gets voted for in the slayer playlist) a while back, and it was really nice not having sprint. When you see someone that's what you get. Don't have to worry about extra nonsense of running away. Not having sprint forces you to commit to a gun fight or make better use of your map movement (using cover etc) - and makes strafing more important.. none of this weird crouch strafe shit. It really does irk me that there isn't more of a penalty for blindly sprinting around maps. Instead, 343 encourages it with spartan charge and really powerful cqc weapons. it's rather unfortunate. I miss having less buttons to manage too. maybe im just getting old though. When you have to buy a 100+ dollar controller to manage all the buttons in a more efficient way, that's kind of sad imo. Putting my flameshield on now lol.

I am the best. I called bank.
I read the bolded in Toad's voice from Mario Kart lol.

Madness

The funny thing about smart-link is that it makes absolutely no sense within the universe.

If the weapons view-finder is electronically linked to the Spartans visor, why would the Spartan need to physically look Through a scope? More like stupid-link. 343i has yet to do a good job explaining this.

That said, in terms of gameplay, smart-link really isn't bad.we have Secondary firing modes or increases range, balanced by descoping and a loss of peripheral awareness. It plays good, and mostly looks good, even though it's stupid.

I don't know. Using the longshot or classic scopes, it makes you wonder why 343 even bothered. They didn't capture any of the CoD crowd that said it was too old and backwards. Games like Battlefront and Doom don't even necessarily have ADS either. From a lore standpoint it's a step backwards as well that an almost 8 foot Spartan whose visor is connected with the reticle would aim down the gun as if it's right in front of the nose.

Some guns look cool I guess. Secondary modes also add some versatility. If I had a choice. I'd use a mixture of longshot/classic scope with greater peripheral transparency for rifles and pistols and then give the swords, automatics and shotguns the slightly increased corner ADS that they use now.

Something very satisfying of using a Blaze of Glory scoped in like that.

Oh i finally unlocked the increased shields armor mod. Looking forward to trying it out maybe tomorrow if i get a chance. Slowly unlocking my remaining uncommon reqs.

blamite

Yeah Smartlink is totally fine with me. The only one I really hate is the Sentinel scope in Warzone, but I don't like having two zoom levels on most guns anyway so I just never use it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm used to sprint, but I would totally be fine with it being removed. Played tmcc (should be called halo 3 since that's all that ever gets voted for in the slayer playlist) a while back, and it was really nice not having sprint. When you see someone that's what you get. Don't have to worry about extra nonsense of running away. Not having sprint forces you to commit to a gun fight or make better use of your map movement (using cover etc) - and makes strafing more important.. none of this weird crouch strafe shit. It really does irk me that there isn't more of a penalty for blindly sprinting around maps. Instead, 343 encourages it with spartan charge and really powerful cqc weapons. it's rather unfortunate. I miss having less buttons to manage too. maybe im just getting old though. When you have to buy a 100+ dollar controller to manage all the buttons in a more efficient way, that's kind of sad imo. Putting my flameshield on now lol.
I believe thrusters allow people to survive/escape encounters with more ease than sprint, but I wouldn't want either of them removed at this point. My main issues are with radar and the Magnum not being scary enough that if you get shot, you better shoot back or you're more than likely dead, instead of getting shot several times then easily escaping.

The difference between 1-2 shots is huge, but as a hitscan weapon I wouldn't argue in favor of lowering the H5 Magnum's shots to kill, unless maybe as a 4sk.

I believe thrusters allow people to survive/escape encounters with more ease than sprint, but I wouldn't want either of them removed at this point. My main issues are with radar and the Magnum not being scary enough that if you get shot, you better shoot back or you're more than likely dead, instead of getting shot several times then easily escaping.

The difference between 1-2 shots is huge, but as a hitscan weapon I wouldn't argue in favor of lowering the H5 Magnum's shots to kill, unless maybe as a 4sk.
yeah removing anything at this point would just piss a lot of people off. I've thought about the pistol being a 4sk weapon quite a bit and personally think it would work. But again, it would also piss a lot of people off. I still think either the pistol needs to be slightly buffed or the ar slightly nerfed. Everyone can talk about how the ar is good where it's at and that it should win in closer quarters combat, but the pistol is outclassed even at mid-range a lot of the time. Unless you pull off a quick reaction perfect kill with the pistol, you're usually dead if someone gets the first shot off using an assault rifle. I don't like that personally. I prefer skill winning most battles over gun roles. Exceptions being super close combat using something like a shotgun or sword, or a power weapon. That's just my personal preference though. The assault rifle sucked in CE and i and most people were totally fine with that. I liked that getting shot by it made it next to impossible to see what was happening on your screen. Felt like that was a nice balance to the cheapness of using an automatic weapon rather than just buffing it. Whereas the plasma rifle stunned your movement, so even though it wasn't as strong, it could be used in a skillful way to great effect.

NOKYARD

how long has this game been out now? and I still see BTB spawns where one guy from the wrong team is starting on the wrong side of the map, jeeze 343 i've had enough already.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Diablohead UK/video/16059978

I just checked this out in Forge. There is no reason for a player to spawn on a Neutral Initial Spawn when there are 8 Red Initial Spawns available on the other side of the map. Makes no sense that it happened but it's certainly not the forger's fault.

Nori Chan

You would think people in diamond division knew that to defend a base while up 2-1 in overtime

hurr durr no they don't they go around and die like idiots and make the enemy team tie the game

Trup1aya

I think lowering the pistols shots to kill would cause more problems than it would solve. yes, proficiency with the CE pistol limited the opponents escapability, but it was a projectile weapon, which meant landing 3 shots in succession was pretty difficult, especially at range.

Many people saw the lack of escapability as problematic, rather than as a strong point. When playing against high level opponents, the strength of the pistol limited usage of the rest of the sandbox.

Now with a hitscan pistol, the high shot count is neccisary to balance this weapons power and accuracy. It's strong, But it's not so strong that it doesn't reward pickups. But it's not so weak that along with Spartan Abilities, one can't outplay a better equipped and/or positioned player.

JackHerer

Holy crap social is soo bad. Infested with teams looking to dominate randoms and lower skilled players. Going in alone is horrible and social shouldn't be like that. I have more enjoyable matches playing alone with randoms at diamond/onyx levels. I wonder why 343 hasn't commented on the complaints about teams vs randoms in matchmaking? I feel like it is even more of an issue than past Halo games.

BradC00

I wonder why 343 hasn't commented on the complaints about teams vs randoms in matchmaking? I feel like it is even more of an issue than past Halo games.

because being able to pub stomp raises the enjoyment factor. if every game you went in as a 4 you got matched up against a 4, a lot of people wouldn't play together.

I don't really agree with it since I solo or duo 95 percent of my games, but that's probably why.

edit: don't know why the quote didn't work. yolo

Holy crap social is soo bad. Infested with teams looking to dominate randoms and lower skilled players. Going in alone is horrible and social shouldn't be like that. I have more enjoyable matches playing alone with randoms at diamond/onyx levels. I wonder why 343 hasn't commented on the complaints about teams vs randoms in matchmaking? I feel like it is even more of an issue than past Halo games.
Someday in an alternate universe we'll get a solo playlist. Someday...

Voliko

Can't aim at all recently, couple that with somehow getting to Onyx in arena playing entirely with randoms and you have a bad time on your hands. And it seems like the majority of players won't talk; but if they do they are a jerk 90% of the time. I need a long break from this game.

BradC00

And it seems like the majority of players won't talk; but if they do they are a jerk 90% of the time. I need a long break from this game.

I've only been called a loser a couple times in Team Arena. Yea, I am sometimes the only guy not in a party, but the people who do talk are pretty friendly, in my experience.

Karl2177

I know it gets grating reading the same person complain about the same thing over and over again, but this spawn system is atrocious. I spawned in the same exact point 3 times in a row only to die 3 seconds after spawning each and every time.

Top Bottom