• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

It's been a while HaloGAF. Posted on gaming side and the Destiny OT but figured a few of you all may be interested as well:

Marty O'Donnell, composer of Destiny, Halo, and Myth, is developing a musical "prequel" to the upcoming PSVR title Golem. Really cool project. I'm hoping this project meets the $45,000 goal. Marty's music is fantastic and helped shape both Halo and Destiny. I thought GAF might be interested in this project.

Kickstarter Link

Golem - Highwire Games

blamite

New Deadlock is awesome. I miss the DMRs (mainly for commendation reasons though so who cares) but the Hydras are awesome. This is the first map where I actually find it super useful, especially with camo. I've been having a lot of fun in my past few games going on a Hydra -> Camo -> Needler loop and just wrecking dudes from on top of their own base.

This is why the Hydra is the best.

Here's a weird thing that happened in my last game: Reeeeeeally slow needle. Unfortunately Game DVR cut off the part where I was actually shooting a guy I dunno why it started doing this, but fortunately the camo let me follow it until it disappeared. Looks like you can't get hit by your own needles, you're welcome Halo 5 Mythbusters.

New Deadlock is awesome. I miss the DMRs (mainly for commendation reasons though so who cares) but the Hydras are awesome. This is the first map where I actually find it super useful, especially with camo. I've been having a lot of fun in my past few games going on a Hydra -> Camo -> Needler loop and just wrecking dudes from on top of their own base.

Here's a weird thing that happened in my last game: Reeeeeeally slow needle. Unfortunately Game DVR cut off the part where I was actually shooting a guy I dunno why it started doing this, but fortunately the camo let me follow it until it disappeared. Looks like you can't get hit by your own needles, you're welcome Halo 5 Mythbusters.

The hydras were always on the map.

Ramirez

Calling bullshit on these "relaxed skill matching" in SS. I got a perfection in my first game and it actually felt like I was playing SS in past Halo's. Every game since has felt like any other playlist in the game, champs and Onyx every game, most of the time on a team, meh.

Give us a fucking solo que playlist already. I played 3 games of BTB tonight and 2 were against teams of 8, that shit is inexcusable.

Calling bullshit on these "relaxed skill matching" in SS. I got a perfection in my first game and it actually felt like I was playing SS in past Halo's. Every game since has felt like any other playlist in the game, champs and Onyx every game, most of the time on a team, meh.

Give us a fucking solo que playlist already. I played 3 games of BTB tonight and 2 were against teams of 8, that shit is inexcusable.

I really want a solo queue team based playlist. I think it should ranked though.

Poster#1

Exactly what happened to me last night. Every game was against a full team and wasn't full at all. I don't remember being this frustrated in Halo.

I was matched against a full teams every fucking game tonight. I'm seriously about to gave up on this game. Fix this shit 343.

NeOak

It's been a while HaloGAF. Posted on gaming side and the Destiny OT but figured a few of you all may be interested as well:

Marty O'Donnell, composer of Destiny, Halo, and Myth, is developing a musical "prequel" to the upcoming PSVR title Golem. Really cool project. I'm hoping this project meets the $45,000 goal. Marty's music is fantastic and helped shape both Halo and Destiny. I thought GAF might be interested in this project.

Kickstarter Link

Golem - Highwire Games

This reminded me of the "Be Like Marty" ODST Firefight achievement.

It would be hilarious if H5 Firefight had that same achievement lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So when is that update coming? I'm seriously starting to get completely sick of this game because of the worst spawns I've seen in any game ever. Even in Battlefront which had super shitty spawns, at least you could immediately start fighting, not this 3 second delay between when the enemy can shoot you and when you can do anything about it. If it doesn't get fixed with the update I'm dropping it until Firefight comes out. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I am in awe of how horrible the spawn mechanics are.

Guys! What is this? (My NAT: Open)

217403_capture_6.jpg

I can't play warzone/arena. :(

mo60

So when is that update coming? I'm seriously starting to get completely sick of this game because of the worst spawns I've seen in any game ever. Even in Battlefront which had super shitty spawns, at least you could immediately start fighting, not this 3 second delay between when the enemy can shoot you and when you can do anything about it. If it doesn't get fixed with the update I'm dropping it until Firefight comes out. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I am in awe of how horrible the spawn mechanics are.
Yeah. The spawn system is not that great in arena and warzone.I have spawned a few meters away from an enemy player before in team slayer and before I could react I was killed.In warzone I experience the same thing occasional and sometimes the game likes to spawn me next to some cliff, in some vehicle bay or in a object close to a base.

I managed to reach silver 5 for a rank earlier today in team slayer. I will not have enough time to get to gold before the end of the season.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Show me the receipts.
I don't know what you mean. There are 3 problems with the spawning system.

1) The delay. I've seen it happen to enemies, to teammates, and myself. Warp in, unable to move, dead before they can even respond. Maybe it only happens in warzone. I haven't played much arena.

2) The spawning spots. Say you defend your base from 7 guys in a row, doing well. But they keep pouring in and eventually you are overwhelmed. Now since dudes are in your base, even if it's just one, you end up spawning outside your base. The rest of their team is out there, a sniper, a banshee in the air, whatever. Now since you're spawning in the open you are instantly dying over and over. No chance to take cover, to fire, nothing.

3) The radar. As if a delay and being completely exposed isn't bad enough, you have to be able to actually physically look around to know if anyone is near you because the radar is complete dogshit. So if your base isn't that swamped but it's just a couple dudes, you can still get shot in the back before you can even turn around just to look into the field next to you, whereas if the radar was worth anything you'd at least have a clue of being exposed to someone's view and where to dodge.

I have had so many games where I end up in this endless death chain, getting sniped so I am falling down as I warp in, or being blown up as I warp in. And I really mean that, not even a pause, but like already falling over or already inside the explosion. Sometimes it has even happened vs AI bosses because I was fighting one and so it warped me within their view.

I have a compulsion to think okay maybe I need to work on skills or something, as usually when you get in chain deaths it's because you're not good enough yet, but when I end up like 2nd or 3rd player on my team, I don't see that being the issue. It's totally different from say, being in arena and losing every first engagement. Skill level wouldn't make a difference if you're literally dead before you're even really there.

Never seen anything like this in any game, and then the way it can steamroll into extensive REQ advantages and that can trigger quitters on your team just compound the issue. It's making warzone unplayable because it sucks when it happens to you and you don't get much satisfaction if your team ends up on the winning side of it (if you realize that is what's happening). An actually balanced match is pretty rare.

BTB might be a decent replacement but some people here are saying solo queues get matched up against big parties. That's dumb. Firefight can't come soon enough.

Guys! What is this? (My NAT: Open)

217403_capture_6.jpg

I can't play warzone/arena. :(

Welcome to a sizeable chunk of Aussie playlist searches. BTB, nope. WZ ass, nope. Happens in some other playlist but far less.

I'm curious about the "region updates" in the latest bulletin so I have to spend some time to see if that's made any difference.

jem0208

The only issue I've ever had with spawns in this game has been some dodgy ones in assault and one time where I got splattered on spawn by a team mate. Other than that Warzone always been fine for me.

Also what's this delay you're talking about?

Unstable

Also, has anyone else been getting stutters in MP? For like half a second the game out right freezes. I know Warzone has always lagged when players JIP, but its gotten a lot worse for me.

KYZR

Also, has anyone else been getting stutters in MP? For like half a second the game out right freezes. I know Warzone has always lagged when players JIP, but its gotten a lot worse for me.

I've noticed this a few times over the past couple of weeks. I've been playing pretty regularly since launch and experienced the occasional laggy enemy teleporting shenanigans, but from my own experience at least, the freezing/stuttering issue appears to be something new.

The only issue I've ever had with spawns in this game has been some dodgy ones in assault and one time where I got splattered on spawn by a team mate. Other than that Warzone always been fine for me.

Also what's this delay you're talking about?
I'm with you. I think I've been spawn killed a handful of times in this game playing since launch and it was in SWAT. I'm not sure what is happening to some people and I've never experienced this delay. I also rarely ever have a player spawn near me.

My most frustrating spawn issue is when I randomly spawn like 2 bases back in Warzone Assault.

jem0208

I'm with you. I think I've been spawn killed a handful of times in this game playing since launch and it was in SWAT. I'm not sure what is happening to some people and I've never experienced this delay. I also rarely ever have a player spawn near me.

My most frustrating spawn issue is when I randomly spawn like 2 bases back in Warzone Assault.

Oh god yeah, SWAT can be awful, I forgot about that. That's because it was an instant repsawn time and 1 shot kill though. Even with the 3 second respawn it's pretty bad.

Akai__

I'd check for input lag if you have delay between spawning and being able to walk again. Never had this happen to me in Arena or Warzone, so not sure what that looks like.

Could that also be a ping problem? Don't know.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Okay, I'm trying something weird.

I've swapped A and right stick click in the button mapping app to see what having jump on the right stick is like.

May as well just use one of these.

1323449629776343188.gif

also what about Bumper Jumper?

Fuchsdh

I don't know what you mean. There are 3 problems with the spawning system.

2) The spawning spots. Say you defend your base from 7 guys in a row, doing well. But they keep pouring in and eventually you are overwhelmed. Now since dudes are in your base, even if it's just one, you end up spawning outside your base. The rest of their team is out there, a sniper, a banshee in the air, whatever. Now since you're spawning in the open you are instantly dying over and over. No chance to take cover, to fire, nothing.

3) The radar. As if a delay and being completely exposed isn't bad enough, you have to be able to actually physically look around to know if anyone is near you because the radar is complete dogshit. So if your base isn't that swamped but it's just a couple dudes, you can still get shot in the back before you can even turn around just to look into the field next to you, whereas if the radar was worth anything you'd at least have a clue of being exposed to someone's view and where to dodge.

I have had so many games where I end up in this endless death chain, getting sniped so I am falling down as I warp in, or being blown up as I warp in. And I really mean that, not even a pause, but like already falling over or already inside the explosion. Sometimes it has even happened vs AI bosses because I was fighting one and so it warped me within their view.

These are features, not really bugs (aside from the spawns in WA that 343 decided to remove from MM.) The whole way you win Warzone Assault games is by killing the attacking team before they can refortify their base, or killing defenders before they get to the base perimeter, depending on the map.

If the radar was larger you'd just get more crouch-camping.

Akai__

It's really sad when a less than half a gig xbox update takes longer than 20 minutes to install.

Yeah that updates take a while, most of the time it takes me around 10 minutes or so. Every time I see a new XBO update I'm just like welp.

I can download and install games in 20 minutes that are 20GB large, but for some reason these Xbox One updates take 5 minutes to download and 30 minutes to install. I know it's on OS level, but still. At > 500MB I expect it to be be not that long, especially since it's essentially running on W10.

jem0208

May as well just use one of these.

1323449629776343188.gif

also what about Bumper Jumper?

Bumper Jumper puts thruster on X, I've found being able to aim whilst thrusting is generally more useful than being able to aim whilst jumping.

That said, I actually claw so I don't really have a problem, it just gets a bit uncomfortable if I play for more than a couple of hours so I'm trying to find the control scheme with the least usage of the face buttons.

I'll say it again -

Overgrowth with 5v5 and sword back. It's really bad. Spawns on that map made me a target 1second after spawn. It's super awesome fun when the team already has the power weapons and kill you instantly. Rail/Sword - yay! *clap

Espcially when your teammates quite and it became a 2v5 scenario. I don't quit so i dont loose my RP boost i used for this match.

After that match, idk if i want to play social anymore. Really soured me.

If you want to play solo go play FFA.

/s

Just had a game we were up 47-40 and the final score ended up 50-48. Don't scare me like that guys!

jontron-sweat-o.gif

Top Bottom