• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I just had a Warzone match on Noctus end 1000-71. Enemy team swarmed all three bases and then trapped us in our core. It lasted only minutes and we never made it past REQ Lvl 2. We didn't even have half the team quit or anything, the other team was just that good. I don't know if I am gonna be able to play anymore today after a loss that bad.

Yeah, and our warzone party won 1000-13 on Saturday, along with some other blowouts, some nail biters, and some losses. Shit happens in unranked matches in the "wacky" gametype. Get over it, use it as a learning experience, whatever. Losing a quick match should never be an upsetting thing. The team won and didn't farm you for kills or anything and they played legit to do it. Accept the loss and move on. Don't let losing to a better team ruin your day.

Ade

Dear HaloGAF I'm very happy to inform you that Halo Wars is now backwards compatible with the Xbox One

I still remember getting excited about an RTS game on the Halo universe made by one of my favorite developers ENSEMBLE STUDIOS the creators of Age of Empires
Halo Wars is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, in my opinion is the best console RTS game period it was fun, challenging and beautiful, the soundtrack, the cinematics etc I can't wait to play Halo Wars 2 this year ALL UNITS!

Both disk and digital work if you already own the digital copy just go to your ready to install section, or if you want to buy it here is the link to the store:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Halo-Wars/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d530808

If they want war . . . WE'LL GIVE THEM WAR!

I don't do RTS in MP, would the DLC serve a purpose?

Yeah, and our warzone party won 1000-13 on Saturday, along with some other blowouts, some nail biters, and some losses. Shit happens in unranked matches in the "wacky" gametype. Get over it, use it as a learning experience, whatever. Losing a quick match should never be an upsetting thing. The team won and didn't farm you for kills or anything and they played legit to do it. Accept the loss and move on. Don't let losing to a better team ruin your day.
3 base kill farming is the worst, we do 2 base farming, to let the enemy team think they have a chance.

We don't kill farm.

I don't do RTS in MP, would the DLC serve a purpose?
No, it's MP only. Unless you like playing against AI.

I just had a Warzone match on Noctus end 1000-71. Enemy team swarmed all three bases and then trapped us in our core. It lasted only minutes and we never made it past REQ Lvl 2. We didn't even have half the team quit or anything, the other team was just that good. I don't know if I am gonna be able to play anymore today after a loss that bad.

1000-71 is actually mercifully short. They could've just held you in your base and kill farmed, which is a major flaw of Warzone.

TCKaos

Pretty much this. Sometimes you get hit. Sometimes you get hit hard. It doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on you, especially if you went in alone. A bunch of randoms couldn't hope to hold a candle to an organized team that's on a roll. It isn't man's place to toil with gods.

Enjoy your REQ points and keep on keepin' on.

Fuchsdh

Yep. I'd be happier getting handed a quick defeat than a lingering match where they were just farming us and we could never gain enough traction to come back.

nillapuddin

Saw on reddit someone else bringing up the 'Halo 5 MP should be the contact and continuing base for mp indefinitely'

Yall know Ive been advocating this idea for years, I really want to see MP be separate from the confines of a boxed release.

BUT, they need split screen, and lan for the long term.

Halo MP could just about be turned into a service, it could even have a ftp element I think, which could help to keep player count up.

They can focus on making req content (I'm assuming at this point its more profitable than map pack profit) and keep maps coming.

Halo 3 anni is a good excuse for more maps.

It's such a shame that they cannot get mcc to work, it would be a perfect vessel. At the very least I think MCC MP should go FTP and crossplay this fall or something.

Fuchsdh

Saw on reddit someone else bringing up the 'Halo 5 MP should be the contact and continuing base for mp indefinitely'

Yall know Ive been advocating this idea for years, I really want to see MP be separate from the confines of a boxed release.

BUT, they need split screen, and lan for the long term.

Halo MP could just about be turned into a service, it could even have a ftp element I think, which could help to keep player count up.

They can focus on making req content (I'm assuming at this point its more profitable than map pack profit) and keep maps coming.

Halo 3 anni is a good excuse for more maps.

It's such a shame that they cannot get mcc to work, it would be a perfect vessel. At the very least I think MCC MP should go FTP and crossplay this fall or something.

Yep. Back in the happy optimistic days I was hoping that MCC would be this gen's legacy Halo experience, where once the new game came out they'd create a new section for the old game and integrate its maps in. But it's pretty clear addressing the lingering issues with it would essentially be a huge undertaking that MS is clearly not interested in.

Welfare

Honestly, with the success of MMO lite games like Destiny and Division, plus more that are sure to pop up later, Halo "6" will probably be a gigantic hub for all things Halo, and Halo 5 being the last traditional release. With Halo 6, it'll just be a platform for all future story and multiplayer content. It'll fit with the future of what Xbox will become, and would be able to live on for much longer on PC and future Xbox iterations.

Honestly, with the success of MMO lite games like Destiny and Division, plus more that are sure to pop up later, Halo "6" will probably be a gigantic hub for all things Halo, and Halo 5 being the last traditional release. With Halo 6, it'll just be a platform for all future story and multiplayer content. It'll fit with the future of what Xbox will become, and would be able to live on for much longer on PC and future Xbox iterations.

can't wait to farm that yellow shiny super-reddot scope for my AR +4 with recoil mod

Cranster

Banned
If anything, players should be given spectator mode views in-game. It's unfair that commentators can see everything when players can't.
Way to miss the point I'm making. I had no idea there was some unwritten rule that in order to be good at Halo (Even if you've been a fan since before Halo 2) you have to hate having the motion tracker, let alone one that that actually works reliably.

Halo 5 is a competetive game or are you forgetting that the whole game is based arround ranks and skill matching? The whole point of no radar is to stop people from camping and promote more movement arround the maps. In an ideal world, there would be at least an opt in system for radar or an additional playlist.

Whenever people use the "go play at pro tournaments" I have to laugh. Are you seeing people who disagree with you saying stuff like "go play a casual shooter instead"? I don't think so.
No, but "Get gud" is just as ignorant of a statement. The motion tracker is highly inconsistent especially when compared to the Beta and previous Halo games. What I wanted from Halo 5 was the return to balance and equal starts, I did not like the CoD elements added into Halo 4's gameplay. I also never cared about pro-gaming/gamers and I still don't. I just dislike randomness in online games.

...But sprinting would cause you to show up...
I never said it doesn't, but by the time that player shows up on the motion tracker your already dead,especially if they ambush you when you are alrwady engaged in combat with another player... That's my problem with the lack of range.

Pretty much this. Sometimes you get hit. Sometimes you get hit hard. It doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on you, especially if you went in alone. A bunch of randoms couldn't hope to hold a candle to an organized team that's on a roll. It isn't man's place to toil with gods.

Enjoy your REQ points and keep on keepin' on.

Which brings up another point. There's no guarantee that they were even "that damn good". Shit, our party Saturday wasn't full of pros (we had TCKaos for cryin' out loud), but we were a big party and *occasionally* coordinated. You don't have to be crazy good to win warzone in a big way, just coordinated.

TCKaos

Which brings up another point. There's no guarantee that they were even "that damn good". Shit, our party Saturday wasn't full of pros (we had TCKaos for cryin' out loud), but we were a big party and *occasionally* coordinated. You don't have to be crazy good to win warzone in a big way, just coordinated.

dat running riot game though where I went 15-0 before we destroyed the core tho

EYEL1NER

I did just have a really close Warzone match that lasted a while for once. This one went almost 24 mins and saw us hit REQ Lvl 8 on A.R.C. The enemy team took all three bases at the beginning of the game, then were content to farm kills after we took the closest armory back. We made a push and took the garage, then they pushed us back to our core again. They had access to our core within the first five minutes and for a lengthy period of time around the 15 minute mark probably, but we had more points than them for the majority of the game, which is probably attributed to the high kill counts that a couple people on my team were achieving with DMRs. It got to the point where they just needed to kill the legendary to win but we swooped in and stole that kill, took some bases, and secured the win.
Nothing but server issues today. Games crashing or getting booted from lobbies. Sucks.
I had some server error messages earlier and then took a short break and left the game up. after completion of this last Warzone match, the screen was stuck on the "deploying" screen that was up before that match. When I went into a couple different menus, it showed up top that it was searching for players but it never found any. I wound up dashboarding because no match would start and I couldn't back out to the Warzone menu again.

Akai__

No, but "Get gud" is just as ignorant of a statement. The motion tracker is highly inconsistent especially when compared to the Beta and previous Halo games. What I wanted from Halo 5 was the return to balance and equal starts, I did not like the CoD elements added into Halo 4's gameplay. I also never cared about pro-gaming/gamers and I still don't. I just dislike randomness in online games.

Please show me where I said "get gud"? I never said anything like that and I also don't consider myself good enough to tell people to get better at the game.

Besides that... Nobody liked the randomness in Halo 4, that's why the game died pretty quickly. And I'm not sure if I can follow? How would removing the radar add even more randomness? It will still be a game about equal starts, map/weapon control and awareness with awareness put into more focus. Radar is also one of the reasons why a coupple maps have chokepoints that are nearly unbreakable. Not sure if you ever played Riptide or The Rig Slayer where the enemy team had a setup arround Blue Room (Riptide) or arround Bunker (The Rig). Good luck breaking that, without them knowing where you are comming from, due to the radar.

343i should actually test that for like a Season, but instead we have ignorant people saying we are "in the minority" and who at the same time don't even want to try it out, it seems.

Way to miss the point I'm making. I had no idea there was some unwritten rule that in order to be good at Halo (Even if you've been a fan since before Halo 2) you have to hate having the motion tracker, let alone one that that actually works reliably.

I never said it doesn't, but by the time that player shows up on the motion tracker your already dead,especially if they ambush you when you are alrwady engaged in combat with another player... That's my problem with the lack of range.

But Halo 5 balance is the best this series has ever seen.....

fB5EUbE.gif

Motion Tracker - Played enough games to understand it's readability.But the comment about being ambushed.. umm.... If you don't have teammates backing you up when their teammate backs them up, it isn't the radars fault. lol It's the situation and expecting you would have 'done' better with a few more meters of radar is just......

8VC5EcA.gif

Fuchsdh

But Halo 5 balance is the best this series has ever seen.....

fB5EUbE.gif

...where is that shot supposed to take place? Because it looks like he's supposed to be outdoors but he is being lit from the front like some bad green screen.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that alongside this March update we get the replaced Noctus assault map back. I really liked it aside from the bad phase one.

Unstable

At high level play with a full team of communicating players, radar is functionally the same as arrows above players heads; Forcing conservative play and disincentivizing improvisation.

In short, it fucking sucks.

BraXzy

The motion tracker is highly inconsistent especially when compared to the Beta and previous Halo games.

How is it inconsistent? The only changes to it are in BTB and Warzone where maps are much bigger and firefights happen over much further distances. It is as consistant as can be in Arena.

What I wanted from Halo 5 was the return to balance and equal starts, I did not like the CoD elements added into Halo 4's gameplay. I also never cared about pro-gaming/gamers and I still don't. I just dislike randomness in online games

Have you even played the game? Ordinance drops have been nuked from the sky, everyone has the same equal starting weapons. Pick ups are on map. The entire sandbox of weapons are usable in given circumstances and there's no particularly OP guns. I am baffled by this complaint honestly. Pro gamers aren't causing any harm, except Ninja, he's a real meanie to Quinn.

Your tracker isn't supposed to be a crutch, this isn't CoD with radar planes flying overhead. It is there to warn you of players in your immediate vicinity. You are supposed to have situational awareness and communication to know where the enemy is going to be. Some argue the radar shouldnt exist at all but I think it's fine at least for regular multiplayer. Sometimes you are going to get rushed and caught off guard, it's either a fault of yours or a GG WP by them. Git gud truly does apply here.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Radar doesn't consistently show me everyone on the enemy team. I need a UAV or something.

Cranster

Banned
Your tracker isn't supposed to be a crutch, this isn't CoD with radar planes flying overhead. It is there to warn you of players in your immediate vicinity. You are supposed to have situational awareness and communication to know where the enemy is going to be. Some argue the radar shouldnt exist at all but I think it's fine at least for regular multiplayer. Sometimes you are going to get rushed and caught off guard, it's either a fault of yours or a GG WP by them. Git gud truly does apply here.

Except again you are missing my point. The range of the Motion Detector was noticably reduced in Halo 5. I never had this problem in any of the past Halo game's. Even in Halo 4 while engaged in combat I usually had enough time to try and defend myself because the motion detector had an effective range of 25 metres. In Halo 5 18 metres is too small especially in regards to how easy it is to sprint around a corner and press B for an instant kill.

The radar isn't consistent..........

GxTnK.gif

No really. What in the actual fuck?
Height indicators seem to be off at times.

jem0208

Except again you are missing my point. The range of the Motion Detector was noticably reduced in Halo 5. I never had this problem in any of the past Halo game's. Even in Halo 4 while engaged in combat I usually had enough time to try and defend myself because the motion detector had an effective range of 25 metres. In Halo 5 18 metres is too small especially in regards to how easy it is to sprint around a corner and press B for an instant kill.

One of the key skills in Halo is awareness, a large radar essentially negates that skill. It also completely neuters sneaky plays and flanking, discourages aggression whilst enabling campers, and generally slows the whole game pace down.

The current radar is OK at best because it's not too large and it can help with some of the unpredictability of H5's movement and map design. It's easily big enough that you should be able to see a flanking enemy and react with enough time to properly defend yourself. It doesn't take half a second to turn around.

Nerf the motion tracker and you kill the ninja move.

I like the motion tracker, really hope 343 don't buckle on this one.

That's not true, it just makes pulling off a ninja far more satisfying and skilful.

Height indicators seem to be off at times.

The height indicators have changed, it's just a slightly darker dot if they're only a different level to you. That's never switched off. It's also intentionally less obvious because height indicators made the radar even more overpowered.

Cranster

Banned
Nerf the motion tracker and you kill the ninja move.

I like the motion tracker, really hope 343 don't buckle on this one.
Agreed, they would lose players in the long run by doing so. I don't mind them creating a Hardcore Arena playlist though for those who prefer no Motion Tracker.

Radar doesn't consistently show me everyone on the enemy team. I need a UAV or something.

Hey man when they crouch it doesn't show up, even thought they are moving!
kappatwitchtv.gif
No need to be dicks.

Ramps. They are known as ramps. Sloped surfaces. You'll figure it out.
The indicators still seem to be off. I actually prefered the simplicity of the earlier games when you had to guess what floor the enemy player was on.

Agreed, they would lose players in the long run by doing so. I don't mind them creating a Hardcore Arena playlist though for those who prefer no Motion Tracker.

No need to be dicks.

The indicators still seem to be off. I actually prefered the simplicity of the earlier games when you had to guess what floor the enemy player was on.

If you are playing Warzone, Advanced Sensors will let players hide to a degree.Very rarely, lag seems to mess things up.

Outside that, are you playing on a TV with literal dials, through an increasingly sad array of adapters? Because that's the only other thing I can think of that can make it seem "inconsistent".

jem0208

If you are playing Warzone, Advanced Sensors will let players hide to a degree.Very rarely, lag seems to mess things up.

Outside that, are you playing on a TV with literal dials, through an increasingly sad array of adapters? Because that's the only other thing I can think of that can make it seem "inconsistent".

That's another thing, you have to remember that Warzone can be a bit of a clusterfuck sometimes and stuff like advanced sensors and silencers will make the radar appear inconsistent.

You also have to remember that someone with camo won't show up on radar unless they're sprinting. There's nothing about the radar which is inconsistent in arena.

Top Bottom