• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

BraXzy

Holy shit, I actually managed to get a code for once!

Cheers Frankie! I've been wanting Ori for ages, never could justify the cost though.

Dude! You are in for a treat Jem... If it isn't the definitive edition buy the upgrade, it's a cheap addition.

I'm currently playing through the game, like right this second, and hot damn I'm loving it. I think I'm a third of the way through. Just wait till you get to the tree 😱

jem0208

Dude! You are in for a treat Jem... If it isn't the definitive edition buy the upgrade, it's a cheap addition.

I'm currently playing through the game, like right this second, and hot damn I'm loving it. I think I'm a third of the way through. Just wait till you get to the tree 😱

It was the DE (thanks again Frankie!), I can't wait.

At high level play with a full team of communicating players, radar is functionally the same as arrows above players heads; Forcing conservative play and disincentivizing improvisation.

In short, it fucking sucks.
Cannot.

Be.

Understated.
Agreed, they would lose players in the long run by doing so. I don't mind them creating a Hardcore Arena playlist though for those who prefer no Motion Tracker.
Alternatively, they could gain a lot more because solo players or those who don't play in full parties can actually stand a chance in multiplayer. It's all conjecture at this point though, no one really knows for certain what it'd do to the numbers on a large scale until it's actually done.

Cheers Frankie! I've been wanting Ori for ages, never could justify the cost though.
Could never justify the cost? I guess you can take the conductor out of the Bad Opinion Train™ but you can't take the train out of them.

You were doing well for a while there, buddio.

EDIT:
I'm a University student, I literally have negative money right now.
Ahh, understood then <3

jem0208

Cannot.

Be.

Understated.

Alternatively, they could gain a lot more because solo players or those who don't play in full parties can actually stand a chance in multiplayer. It's all conjecture at this point though, no one really knows for certain what it'd do to the numbers on a large scale until it's actually done.

Could never justify the cost? I guess you can take the conductor out of the Bad Opinion Train™ but you can't take the train out of them.
I'm a University student, I literally have negative money right now.

The indicators still seem to be off. I actually prefered the simplicity of the earlier games when you had to guess what floor the enemy player was on.

Yeah, it's only been something like 9 years and 4 games. No way people could have figured out how to read the "detailed" motion tracker by now.

People jump and ramps exist. This really isn't that hard.

jem0208

Play it nao/tomorrow and we can compare notes ;)

Negative money is best money. I'm hoping to have both my student cards paid off soon though :D

I'm downloading it right now, I'm at home for Easter though so I have uber shit internet. Probably won't be downloaded till tomorrow.

It's great, the more you spend the further away from £0 you get, infinite money! That's how it works? Right guys?

Re: Cranster

I'm just picturing a player constantly looking the wrong direction until a blip shows up on his motion tracker.
Honestly, it just shows the need to remove/change motion tracker because look at what it's doing to people; it's holding them back from developing other, more important skills like situational awareness and critical thinking because they're too dependent on this crutch.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm with you. I think I've been spawn killed a handful of times in this game playing since launch and it was in SWAT. I'm not sure what is happening to some people and I've never experienced this delay. I also rarely ever have a player spawn near me.

My most frustrating spawn issue is when I randomly spawn like 2 bases back in Warzone Assault.
I'd check for input lag if you have delay between spawning and being able to walk again. Never had this happen to me in Arena or Warzone, so not sure what that looks like.

Could that also be a ping problem? Don't know.
Imagine already being in an explosion as the level becomes visible, or already falling down from a snipe. Not because you happened to spawn next to people who were being blown up or because you happened to spawn in the way of a shot someone was lining up, but because your body apparently appeared before your enemies in the middle of a field before the level appeared to you. To make it worse, even after you can see the level there is the "still warping in" animation that seems to have to finish before you can move, and I have been killed in that many times. If it was just a "once in a while" thing I'd think dumb bad luck of random shots, but when it chains for 5-10 mintues you know something is up.

If this has literally never happened to you, maybe it is a connection issue. That might also explain why last night when this was happening often, I went around (with my enhanced sensor and silenced gun, so I wasn't on radar) a few times to this same guy who was camping in the same spot going for people running to the main entrance. I would start shooting him then he'd instantly vaporize me (like the literal body burning animation) in one shot. I thought maybe he had some super damage booster REQ or something because he only used a BR, not a beam/rail/snipe, and in my experience it takes multiple headshots to go through full shields for a kill. Not sure if there is such a thing, but maybe lag caused it to seem like just one shot when it was more.

This however, wouldn't explain why I'd have a bunch of seemingly normal fights in those matches. I'm well acquainted with lag over decades of play, so I'm pretty sure I can tell when things are legit or not. And wouldn't I be sucking the entire time, not having solid kill streaks in the same matches? That's why it has seemed like issues with the way the game loads spawns instead of connection issues to me.

Anyway, I am also always solo queue so the conversation in here has illuminated me as to why some matches have gone the way they have in both warzone and arena, where sometimes the enemy seems soooo mutually aware and coordinated compared to my team... because they probably were. Lovely. Another reason to chill on this game until Firefight.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Picked up Halo Reach and Halo Wars.

cHxwPW9.gif

No need to be dicks.

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

Dude, just take a damn video so we can see. Why do we need to imagine? This is what I meant by show the receipts.

Also, you refuse to find other people to play with, so the game is bad? And the possibility of parties never occurred to you until we illuminated it for you? Jesus, some people man.

jem0208

Imagine already being in an explosion as the level becomes visible, or already falling down from a snipe. Not because you happened to spawn next to people who were being blown up or because you happened to spawn in the way of a shot someone was lining up, but because your body apparently appeared before your enemies in the middle of a field before the level appeared to you. To make it worse, even after you can see the level there is the "still warping in" animation that seems to have to finish before you can move, and I have been killed in that many times. If it was just a "once in a while" thing I'd think dumb bad luck of random shots, but when it chains for 5-10 mintues you know something is up.

If this has literally never happened to you, maybe it is a connection issue. That might also explain why last night when this was happening often, I went around (with my enhanced sensor and silenced gun, so I wasn't on radar) a few times to this same guy who was camping in the same spot going for people running to the main entrance. I would start shooting him then he'd instantly vaporize me (like the literal body burning animation) in one shot. I thought maybe he had some super damage booster REQ or something because he only used a BR, not a beam/rail/snipe, and in my experience it takes multiple headshots to go through full shields for a kill. Not sure if there is such a thing, but maybe lag caused it to seem like just one shot when it was more.

This however, wouldn't explain why I'd have a bunch of seemingly normal fights in those matches. I'm well acquainted with lag over decades of play, so I'm pretty sure I can tell when things are legit or not. And wouldn't I be sucking the entire time, not having solid kill streaks in the same matches? That's why it has seemed like issues with the way the game loads spawns instead of connection issues to me.

Anyway, I am also always solo queue so the conversation in here has illuminated me as to why some matches have gone the way they have in both warzone and arena, where sometimes the enemy seems soooo mutually aware and coordinated compared to my team... because they probably were. Lovely. Another reason to chill on this game until Firefight.

That 100% sounds like a connection issue. Ho quickly from pressing "x" on the respawn screen are you able to control your spartan? It should be instantaneous.

I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "warping in" animation. The only warping style animation I can see is an extremely brief (and I mean milliseconds) flash up the screen when you spawn.

Dice

Also, you refuse to find other people to play with, so the game is bad? And the possibility of parties never occurred to you until we illuminated it for you? Jesus, some people man.
Was never a problem in any other shooter I ever played. MOBAs yes, shooters no. I didn't realize it was so audacious to expect this game to be able to fulfill basics of the genre. If it's a Halo thing, sorry, never owned an Xbox so the only other time I played Halo was console LAN parties with Halo 2 in college.

Edit: Also, I don't think the game is bad because of this. With 3-4 very simple fixes, it would be one of the best FPS ever made.

Mostly, this sounds like severe lag.

Whining about teams though, holy shit. I wish there was a mercenaries playlist too, but this is still hilarious. How dare the game reward being social!

So what's the consensus on Griffball? Because I'm really not liking the inconsistencies behind the grav hammer, or the lack of rounds. The fact that there's no rounds leads to infuriating cases of spawn camping douchebags killing you as soon as you appear.

klaus

Phew, finally got to Platinum 1 in SWAT, started Bronze 3 - that was quite something.. #feelsgood

Sorry for neglecting the WZ commendations, but I got us lots of first strikes ;)

Granadier

Was the footlong nice? :D

I have my Halo Wars disc around here somewhere. Might wait till the free digital version bundled with Halo Wars 2 though haha. Have enough games on my plate.

Filled me up nicely.

So what's the consensus on Griffball? Because I'm really not liking the inconsistencies behind the grav hammer, or the lack of rounds. The fact that there's no rounds leads to infuriating cases of spawn camping douchebags killing you as soon as you appear.

Griffball is one of the greatest things to come out of the Halo community.

It's extremely easy to find people to play with on this game. Just invite the best players on your team/enemy team. You're bound to get some guys to join you.

On the subject of Griffball: I can't believe a gimmick like Griffball gets a permanent playlist and we don't have a permanent social arena playlist, because sometimes we have another gimmick like Fiesta on rotation instead of Slayer or objective. There should always be a social playlist where we can warm up for real games.

jem0208

On the subject of Griffball: I can't believe a gimmick like Griffball gets a permanent playlist and we don't have a permanent social arena playlist, because sometimes we have another gimmick like Fiesta on rotation instead of Slayer or objective. There should always be a social playlist where we can warm up for real games.
The weeks when fiesta have been in the rotation have sucked.

God that mode is boring.

It's extremely easy to find people to play with on this game. Just invite the best players on your team/enemy team. You're bound to get some guys to join you.
"Press X to party up" was an excellent feature added to Halo 3 that we haven't seen since. I wonder why it never returned.
SWAT is another one. Shit gametype gets all the love.. No radar, never removed from matchmaking, etc.
The weeks when fiesta have been in the rotation have sucked.

God that mode is boring.
demmit jem.. choo choooooooo

Griffball is dumb. And not like in a fun, interesting way. Dumb in a very dumb way.

"Press X to party up" was an excellent feature added to Halo 3 that we haven't seen since. I wonder why it never returned.

SWAT is another one. Shit gametype gets all the love.. No radar, never removed from matchmaking, etc.

I agree something like that should be added, but in the meantime...

Just got banned for quitting social when it's 2v5 lol

Griffball is dumb. And not like in a fun, interesting way. Dumb in a very dumb way.

You want an even more connection dependent game? Grifball is how you go about it. Stupid "fun" I'm forced to sit through when a party wants to play it between MM or customs. It's cool to mix things up in the interest of a party but fuck going at it for 3+ games in a row.

Karl2177

MCC had it, but it was broke as hell so it got removed like a week or two in. I'm guessing they still haven't managed to figure out what the issue was on MCC's non-assigned party system and can't get it up to date.

Granadier

Just add more than ~5 playlists 343, for fucks sake.

I liked it in older Halo games, but Halo 5's version doesn't have rounds to segment each match, which means a few enemy players can camp your spawn for the whole game. It's a miserable experience.

Just add more than ~5 playlists 343, for fucks sake.

Social Arena, Social Slayer, Rumble Pit. That's what I'd add.

Fuchsdh

Psh, the game was worth full price. Happy to have gotten it (not really worth double-dipping for the definitive version though since the regular difficulty punished me enough.)

Dice

Mostly, this sounds like severe lag.
I am willing to think it is since plenty of people here have never experienced it. My connection is a not-amazing 15Mbps/5 wireless so there is potential, although it never gave me a hint trouble in Titanfall or Destiny.

Whining about teams though, holy shit. I wish there was a mercenaries playlist too, but this is still hilarious. How dare the game reward being social!
I'm not saying that teams need to go and I'm not "whining about teams" but rather saying the option for solo should be there, and if it is not then it is more incentive for someone like me, who mostly plays solo, to wait for a PvE mode before getting heavy into the game. Getting a team together whenever you want is actually not a simple thing, and someone not wanting to devote a lot of free time dive deep in the community of a game shouldn't bar the now-and-then player from getting something nice. Aside from this, even if I wanted to, it would be more difficult as someone coming to the franchise late and the particular game late. Who wants the guy still getting a feel for the gameplay who doesn't have any decent REQs to offer? Not many.

Responses here seem to affirm a common opinion that 1) Going solo you'll inevitably get dominated by teams and that is unenjoyable when it happens and 2) The answer is to assemble a team and dominate yourself. I don't think it's crazy to think that a balanced/enjoyable experience should be available for solo queue people, and I also don't think it is much of a "reward" for teaming up that you utterly dominate the other team with your exponentially increased tactics for every member added to your team. That's more of a snoozefest dial-a-win than a rewarding experience. If you happen to get set up against another team would be when it is rewarding.

Saying that it's best for me to wait for Firefight is not me saying the game is crap, so try not to read that into it. I'm just recognizing the nature of it and where I fit into that picture. That said, I just dropped into the middle of an already-going Warzone game where teams were around 600, so it seems they're at least trying to solve the issues of quitters. That's nice.

These would be my playlists:

Team Arena (Ranked)
Team Slayer (Ranked)
Solo Queue Team Arena (Ranked)
Swat (Ranked)
BTB (Social)
Social Slayer
Action Sack (Griffball, Fiesta and other gimmicks as they're added)
Rotating Social (Snipers, Arena, Strongholds, etc...)

Random NeoGAF Poster said:
But FAT a1 Moose where's Breakout!?
:lol

jem0208

You take that back! You take that back now!!!

Fiesta is life. Fiesta is Halo evolved.

Alright as an action sack gamemode it has its place and can be pretty fun in small doses. That said it very much outstays its welcome over the course of a week when we could have a real social playlist. Especially when it comes back for a second week.

I really wish we had a proper action sack playlist filled with loads of wacky gametypes, fiesta included.

EYEL1NER

I like the idea of "Press 'X' to party up" returning, even though sometimes you would get that guy who decides "I've got control of the lobby? Time to finally test out my custom gametype/map that no one would ever play voluntarily!!!" I don't ever send out invites because I never accept them and assume that no one would ever accept one from me (I don't accept them because they always come in when I am already in my next game and am not willing to bail on that game, especially when abandoning a game carries penalties now).

I like the idea of "Press 'X' to party up" returning, even though sometimes you would get that guy who decides "I've got control of the lobby? Time to finally test out my custom gametype/map that no one would ever play voluntarily!!!" I don't ever send out invites because I never accept them and assume that no one would ever accept one from me (I don't accept them because they always come in when I am already in my next game and am not willing to bail on that game, especially when abandoning a game carries penalties now).
Yeah i agree that feature needs to come back. Do you mean they come in when you are already playing? Because it's the pre-game lobby and you haven't deployed yet you won't get a penalty.

EYEL1NER

Yeah i agree that feature needs to come back. Do you mean they come in when you are already playing? Because it's the pre-game lobby and you haven't deployed yet you won't get a penalty.
No, I'll get an invite to join someone after I am in another game and out of the lobby. The people who are inviting me to join them from my last rounds aren't too quick about it if I've already started the next game.
I actually don't have it happen to me now nearly as often as previous Halo games but when it does, I am always running around, firin' off rounds, and at that point I won't even look at the message because I would have to go afk to do it and I'm not a lot of good to anyone in my current match if I'm just idling (it's debatable if I am any good to them while I am playing though, too).

Hey, do you guys know of a website of some sort I could go to find people to play games with, so I don't have to play by myself? Like an on-line community of sorts?

pls respond

Top Bottom