• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can guarantee you that when we got decent points it was because some people actually bothered to go out to kill bosses with me and the enemy just focused on endlessly pounding a single base (because they seem focused on kills not just points from any source). We can make points that way, but fighting them directly wasn't working at all because apparently we didn't have the REQs to fight back with anything but small arms.

As for my style, I could be more defensive, yes, and I could also fall asleep trying to do so. When we are in one base vs banshee, ghosts, tank, snipers, rockets, and yet there are people covering the other bases and my teammates mostly just stay at the base we're defending/meaninglessly attack center rather than try to steal the other one, I quickly stop giving a shit and just do whatever. Sometimes I'll get bored and just intentionally start walking out to die because that's all that is going to happen anyway and I might as well speed the game up a little bit. Sometimes I go manage to steal a base on my own but only hold it for like a minute before a team comes out to get me since my team never came out to join me.

But in a different mood, doing crazy shit is slightly more interesting. Hiding in a corner for sake of my k/d trying to slowly get potshots on the assholes with longshots over the hill who can just infinitely respawn since your team altogether makes zero headway vs the onslaught is a lot less interesting than maybe actually planting the tank on your 9th try. And if we show capability to sometimes approach the center but my guys are shy to move forward so long as they still see anyone outside, I'm willing to be the flanking guy that breaks through 4-5 of them knowing the 6th will kill me if it makes a chance for my team to make entry (and records don't show my number of assists, which are usually 16-18 if I cared about the game). If they fail after they move in together, I don't feel like that's on me. It is, however, a lot less boring and annoying than trying to fight multiple people with longshots and DMRs using a standard BR.

But I'm done with that boring mode and this whole game that apparently takes a lot of farming until you acquire the items that put you on the level with everyone else. I don't play games for chores.

Do you actively talk during matches? From my soling experience, even if I'm the only one doing call outs, my chances of winning increases drastically.
No mic.

Alright, here we go:

BX1V8jM.png

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

But I'm done with that boring mode and this whole game that apparently takes a lot of farming until you acquire the items that put you on the level with everyone else. I don't play games for chores.

No mic.

I'm just going to be blunt. I'm sick of your excuses. You either post a gameplay video showing this terrible experience you keep telling us is happening or quit this defensive bullshit.

Your win rate is only slightly below 50% (not to mention the sample size of only 39 games isn't very meaningful), which suggests matchmaking isn't screwing you over. You've had a bad night or two of games in one mode and now the game / mode must be broken. The only common factor in all of these games is you. There wasn't farming, despite your complaints to the contrary (either that or you completely don't understand the concept). Even the games you're winning, your performance is sub-par, often the most killed on your team.

You keep mentioning that you get trapped in one armory or whatever. That means you have, at minimum, two spawn locations. You can always spawn at home base and every map has multiple escape paths and routes. Unless you're being farmed from the home base where there are literally no escape paths but the front door, you always have a choice. Again, though, you were not in fact getting farmed.

I'm willing to be the flanking guy that breaks through 4-5 of them knowing the 6th will kill me if it makes a chance for my team to make entry (and records don't show my number of assists, which are usually 16-18)

What? How exactly do you break through 4-5 of them if the 6th kills you? Sounds like you're charging into groups of enemies like an idiot then getting mad when your team, who is now down a spartan, doesn't follow into a fool's death.

You claim the records don't show assists. You are factually wrong. You are also way off on your numbers. The highest of your last 10 games (literally 1/4 of your entire game history) was 11, but most were around the 4-8 range at best.

It is, however, a lot less boring and annoying than trying to fight multiple people with longshots and DMRs using a standard BR.

Stop. Picking. Dumb. Engagements.

I mean, you want to blame your poor performance on the REQ system and not having enough REQs just yet to compete. I don't buy it considering you don't need all the legendary and ultra-rares and shit to be competitive in Warzone, but let's go with that. Is that the reason for your Arena performance as well?

I mean, everyone was new at some point, but Halo is one of those games (even in Warzone, although I have issues with some large VP-value bosses being a coin flip) that rewards victories based on merit. This isn't fucking Mario Kart. Accept that you're still learning what is an incredibly deep game that requires intelligent choice-making from moment to moment to be successful. Good aim and REQs are very secondary to thoughtful play and map knowledge.

I'll say it again (and this goes for everyone else too), the Xbox One let's you record gameplay on demand. Do it and let us see. If there's a lag issue, maybe we can help you out and fix some of your problems. If people are being dicks or your teammates are failing you on a basic level, let us maybe give some helpful suggestions to improve your solo experience. If, however, as I suspect, you keep banging your head against a wall and expecting it to get better, be confident enough to post and people will gladly critique and help you with gameplay tips. But blaming your entire experience on the other team farming (they aren't) or your teammates shitting the bed is laughable.

@ the bolded, how in the shit do you feel you're justified in being pissed at your team for not coordinating with you when they have no way of knowing what the fuck you want?

Am I crazy, or are some of the spawns in BTB modes really, really unsafe?

Also, props for fixing up Deadlock. Plays a lot better than it did when that launched.

Am I crazy, or are some of the spawns in BTB modes really, really unsafe?

Also, props for fixing up Deadlock. Plays a lot better than it did when that launched.

Deadlock specifically. The other day we were trapped in the base by this party of 8 and I was spawning literally in front of the other team.

Deadlock specifically. The other day we were trapped in the base by this party of 8 and I was spawning literally in front of the other team.

Really? I was noticing a lot more crappy spawns in Avalanche than I was in Deadlock. Then again, spawn trapping seems like it'd be a serious issue in Deadlock, considering how tiny the map is.

Dice

I'm just going to be blunt. I'm sick of your excuses.
Yes, I know you absolutely can't stand someone who doesn't do absolutely everything they can do to push things in the positive. That is your personality. My personality is to be analytical and evaluate whether or not doing so would push things into an entirely different realm of experience or not. That is something that has nothing to do with winning or losing, but with overall failing strategies that end in monotonous gameplay. It does happen to end in losing, but the losing is not the part that bothers me, the monotony and wasted time during the process of it happening is. I will explain since you want to so comprehensively question.

You either post a gameplay video showing this terrible experience you keep telling us is happening or quit this defensive bullshit.
How do you record more than 30 seconds? And even if you can, my hard drive space is pushed to the very limit. Am I to delete several games to appease you? Try to twitch stream with my 15/5 internet?

You keep mentioning that you get trapped in one armory or whatever. That means you have, at minimum, two spawn locations. You can always spawn at home base and every map has multiple escape paths and routes. Unless you're being farmed from the home base where there are literally no escape paths but the front door, you always have a choice. Again, though, you were not in fact getting farmed.
If the enemy just hangs back surrounding your armory with ranged weapons and grenades and vehicles killing your whole team as they come out, not trying to capture, not trying to get bosses, I call that kill farming. Especially if they very easily blasted through capturing shit to get to that point, crushing us in the first engagements. That makes it seems like they could very easily wipe us out of the 3rd place if they wanted, but they instead hang back. Why else would they do that except to get more kills?

And yes, you can spawn somewhere else, but if it is just you doing it, what good does it do? Are you gonna try to slowly solo a boss until enemies come and shoot you in the back from 200 yards when they realize you're solo fighting a boss? You gonna take a base and lose it because your team doesn't care to join you? You gonna try and sneak in the back of the center base your team wants to go for (in the never-going-to-happen moment there are no visible enemies) and lose a 6v1 solo entry? Those are all dumb, and yet, out of boredom, I have done all these things, because nothing matters if it's just you.

This is what I mean when I say I stop caring. Your team altogether chooses strategy and tactics. If what they have chosen is running out the front door of the armory into a field of death, no actions of mine matter whatsoever. I could do what my team is doing and just shoot base-to-base or in the field, never making progress, continuing until the REQ vehicles come out and we're pushed back inside, but that is likewise meaningless. It's all meaningless differences unless you choose different together. But then they don't, and you can't concede, so you have 10-13 minutes to blow. What to do with all that time if your personal "playing smart" won't make a difference? How to entertain yourself?

What? How exactly do you break through 4-5 of them if the 6th kills you? Sounds like you're charging into groups of enemies like an idiot then getting mad when your team, who is now down a spartan, doesn't follow into a fool's death.
As in killing those 4-5 guys, as in the guys in the fields blocking the front door to the center base, as in the guys who were keeping my team holed up. Since my team is shooting at them from the armory, they are distracted/wounded and I can quickly clean up the majority of them with headshots from the side and grenades if I sneak around prior, but they will eventually catch on and kill me.

Yet the effort does open up a clear moment for my team to move forward before they respawn. The opportunity came up sometimes between when we finally knocked out their pestering ghosts but before they brought out banshees and tanks. I think it is better than the never-clear-them and thus never-approach method if that is what my team is doing. Even if it takes some failed sneaks to get around to the position, it still creates an advantageous moment that wouldn't have happened, so I don't care about those deaths. I'll be that guy who eats it doing something different until he can make a moment for something different to happen.

Stop. Picking. Dumb. Engagements.
You misread that. It is not a situation I would want to pick, hence me saying another option is better. I am painting a picture here for you of my team coming out of the armory and running right into that, or trying to deal with it slowly (read: endlessly) from cover; the group of guys coming out from the center base to shoot at us, aside from the vehicles closer or occasional 1 or 2 guys flanking. It's mostly just perpetual head-on clash of longrange shooting, and losing at that, especially as weapons ramp up for them. You say it sounds like a dumb engagement. I agree. That is exactly my point.

I mean, you want to blame your poor performance on the REQ system and not having enough REQs just yet to compete. I don't buy it considering you don't need all the legendary and ultra-rares and shit to be competitive in Warzone, but let's go with that. Is that the reason for your Arena performance as well?
No, I only played a little bit of arena and wasn't very good at the close-range multi-level pistol fights compared to them and didn't know the maps at all and haven't even been back to it since I learned things like people not showing up on radar when jumping. I also didn't care to be very defensive when I was just trying to get a look around at the levels and what sort of spots people were using rather than try and out-maneuver them in positioning myself.

If, however, as I suspect, you keep banging your head against a wall and expecting it to get better, be confident enough to post and people will gladly critique and help you with gameplay tips. But blaming your entire experience on the other team farming (they aren't) or your teammates shitting the bed is laughable.

@ the bolded, how in the shit do you feel you're justified in being pissed at your team for not coordinating with you when they have no way of knowing what the fuck you want?
Some things are common sense, like if they are perpetually attacking you en masse and you run out and die or stay in and die slower, maybe only killing a couple from long range out standing in front of the center base, at which point they'll be standing there again in a mere 7 seconds, then it is a pointless endeavor, is it not? So if the vast majority of your team is content to do that until the other team wins, you can pretty much see where it is headed already, right?

So when I recognize the static strategies and their hopeless trajectory I can either bang my head against that wall with them or go somewhere solo and bang my head on a different wall because I'm out there alone. Maybe sometimes there will be a small team of sensible people to get some points elsewhere with me, but it's all just concession points that won't catch up in time and even the enemy knows it, which is why they allow it. It makes no difference. That's why in such situations I'd rather choose crazy over smart, because if both are inevitably failing you, pick the one that actually occasionally causes an interesting moment to happen.

As for being pissed at my team, again you are inferring things. Yeah, there isn't much to do about it without a mic, and that's why I'm simply recognizing what is ending up in boring matches of no interesting options and opting out of continuing this way. "Mad" is not the thing here "bored with the same thing happening repeatedly" is. Perhaps a $25 headset might help change that situation, but that isn't the plan I'm choosing. And did I ever try to objectively condemn the whole game for this? No I did not. I said the process as it is for me right now is like a chore, so I'll wait for something that will be different than this current setup. Anything more than that is something you choose to infer.

As for blaming team, yes I can blame the team when I see them do this. In games where my team has won, they went out and did different things all at once. Even in games where we lose but it was close, we all did different things at once and were just outplayed in engagements. That's fine. That's still interesting. If a team isn't responding to needs, and is using the same failing strategy for over 10 minutes straight, I do believe I can blame the team. It doesn't mean I am an amazing player compared to them, it simply means I can see the difference between what sometimes-winning teams do together and what always-losing teams do together. I don't see why I should go out and buy a headset to hold unilateral responsibility for trying to shake them out of it if I can simply opt out for now.

Yes, I have made long posts, but if you hadn't noticed, they were always responses to clarify things for someone else with full detail so they understand what I'm talking about. I'm not just sitting here trying to write a book of hatred for Halo 5 to broadcast into the world, so if you get that feeling from the simple fact of those detailed explanations to others, again that is something you merely infer. I don't know why I can take some time to look at things and decide it isn't my jive yet but apparently stating it is a great evil that has to be argued with. I'm not trying to say the game you like is shit. I would have easily left that simple post and let that be it but you wanted to argue for some reason, so here I have explained my perspective on the events of the games and explained the phenomena of my record to the curious minds.

I think that halo 5 has some of the worst cases of 1 hit kills in the entire series, BTB on open maps is just not fun.

I also don't understand why aiming down the scope is so sensitive even with aiming speed and accel set to 1, its just as bad as the halo 3 aiming in the MCC which is broken.

what did you expect?... btb on truth or fathom?

Altar was the map I just played, I like how you can pick up a hydra but the map is so big that you can't lock onto anything unless it's at least close to you.

I just dislike how fast you die in halo 5, it was a fun novelty at first in the beta when people were learning how to aim without so many assists but now I really dislike it, it's so fast. I just suck at long range BR aiming too because the aiming speed is too twitchy for me even on the lowest settings.

Warzone would be the same for you right?

I don't know what to tell you, BTB is always going to be on large open maps with snipes.
Have you tried to reduce your dead zones? Should make aiming much smoother... try 0% for inner and outer.

Warzone would be the same for you right?

I don't know what to tell you, BTB is always going to be on large open maps with snipes.
Have you tried to reduce your dead zones? Should make aiming much smoother... try 0% for inner and outer.

i've tried everything aiming related that I can, I can use the DMR alright because it slows down scoped aiming a little.

the BR fires too quickly IMO.

Trup1aya

Played in a group of 12 last night in Warzone matches against were chores, but lucrative.

Matches against other large groups were exhillerating ,

I was a littler conflicted about the behavior of my team. We'd hold all three bases, but wouldn't go to destroy the core. Instead we'd send a couple people to pretend they are trying to destroy the core, maybe even damage it a little, while everyone else farmed bosses.

We'd occasionally let them out to try to cap an armory, then shut them down again.

It felt like I was playing with my food.

IHaveIce

Banned
Played in a group of 12 last night in Warzone matches against were chores, but lucrative.

Matches against other large groups were exhillerating ,

I was a littler conflicted about the behavior of my team. We'd hold all three bases, but wouldn't go to destroy the core. Instead we'd send a couple people to pretend they are trying to destroy the core, maybe even damage it a little, while everyone else farmed bosses.

We'd occasionally let them out to try to cap an armory, then shut them down again.

It felt like I was playing with my food.
no.. what you did is what is essentialy called farming in warzone and is disliked.

jfoul

Kinda going off of YourExWife's post above.

For people new to this thread, or to Halo 5 that want to get better, I highly recommend watching Pro Twitch streams like Naded. Watching tourney streams are exciting, but these are more focused and less hectic focusing on one player. Watch their movement, watch how they move around the map and choose engagements.

Imo, the learning curve for H5 is the steepest in the series, and arguably the deepest core gameplay of any console FPS. The aim assist is the lowest it's ever been in the series, and the controls can feel off until you adjust them (My config: Sens 3, Accel 5, Inner 0%, outer 0%). Also you no longer get host advantage (God Mode) if you have a really good internet connection.

I was a bit stubborn when I first started playing H5. Fortunately, I opened up and I'm still learning new things after playing 2834 games.

jfoul

What do you guys think about adding a new thread specifically for grouping up? Or maybe just a Google Doc that we can add our GTs, Rank in playlists, and play times? We have a decent amount of people in the HaloGAF community, but it's a bit splintered. I think this would help getting people together with similar skill levels, play list interest, and play times.

Dice

I didn't know there were deadzone settings that are at such ridiculous levels by default. Fixing those makes things a bit better in terms of headshots. Max turning acceleration is also nice.

Dice

I set them to 2% because my stick has a tiny bit of wiggle. If I had an elite I'd be comfortable setting it to 0%.
Max acceleration?? Yo. I think 4 is already too fast
It's only for when turning. If I'm hitting the stick all the way, I want the screen to be moving, not only for turning around to face someone to the side or behind me, but to aim down if I jump over someone or up if someone is above. Normal sensitivity is fine for not-max movement, but when you have to look somewhere else completely it usually has to be fast.

I set them to 2% because my stick has a tiny bit of wiggle. If I had an elite I'd be comfortable setting it to 0%.
It's only for when turning. If I'm hitting the stick all the way, I want the screen to be moving, not only for turning around to face someone to the side or behind me, but to aim down if I jump over someone or up if someone is above. Normal sensitivity is fine for not-max movement, but when you have to look somewhere else completely it usually has to be fast.
As long as your aim doesn't drift (move without input from you) you want inner deadzone at zero. At least that's what I'd do. I also don't know what you're talking about with the acceleration. They way you worded it makes it sound like it only plays into turning quickly. It's an integral part of the aiming, as high acceleration tends to lead to over corrections unless your thumb movements are very controlled.

Trup1aya

no.. what you did is what is essentialy called farming in warzone and is disliked.

Yeah it was farming, but it was farming bosses... We weren't after Spartan kills at all really.

Actually, enemy teams scored a ton of points in some games because of what how we were approaching it, and in one game, they almost game back and won because of it.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the spawn killing that people hate.

I was conflicted about about it, but I imagine that if I'm on the other team, I'd still be having fun...

No one was trapped in their home base, as we'd never devoted our attention to their home base more than to create a diversion while we killed bosses. We were just more organized, so when we started losing objectives, we could regain them again.

Is having all 3 bases and not going for the core a bad practice, is there anything inherently wrong with preferring to win by scoring 1000 victory points?

I dunno.

Dice

As long as your aim doesn't drift (move without input from you) you want inner deadzone at zero. At least that's what I'd do. I also don't know what you're talking about with the acceleration. They way you worded it makes it sound like it only plays into turning quickly. It's an integral part of the aiming, as high acceleration tends to lead to over corrections unless your thumb movements are very controlled.
Then they really need to rephrase the settings menu because it says it affects acceleration when the stick is held to the edge, not all the rest of the time as well. The outer deadzone text also seems to imply this since it is supposed to prevent slow turn, as in it not realizing you have the stick to max and thus not using acceleration. It's the only sensible interpretation I can make out of it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Forget who mentioned Halo Fleet and Ground Battles recently but it has made me want to buy it now dammit after looking into it. Two problems....i have no money and probably no one who would want to play it with me :(

These would be my playlists:

Team Arena (Ranked)
Team Slayer (Ranked)
Solo Queue Team Arena (Ranked)
Swat (Ranked)
BTB (Social)
Social Slayer
Action Sack (Griffball, Fiesta and other gimmicks as they're added)
Rotating Social (Snipers, Arena, Strongholds, etc...)

:lol

My take:

RANKED
4v4. Lone Wolf Arena (Team Arena, Solo Queue)
4v4. Team Arena
4v4. Team Slayer
4v4. SWAT
4v4. Breakout
2v2. Team Doubles
8-Way FFA. Free-for-All

SOCIAL
8v8. Big Team Battle
4v4. Social Arena
4v4. Action Sack
Varies. Rotational Social

Strider

I would much rather have a social arena permanent playlist than a permanent social slayer playlist so I'd rather see this...

SOCIAL
8v8. Big Team Battle
4v4. Social Arena
4v4. Action Sack
Varies. Rotational Social

over what Fata posted. In general the variety of gametypes would be nice...

Have the rotating playlist be 5v5 like it is now and the permanent social arena playlist be 4v4 and we goooooood.

It really really sucks though that we don't have a social arena playlist :( I've played so much slayer in H5 I really don't even wanna play that playlist now but solo queueing in arena can be a nightmare at times.

Hell I wouldn't even mind if the social arena playlist was the mercenary playlist we all want lol would prevent a lot of the kill farming people complain about in the other social playlists.

--

Everytime assault Torque comes up half the lobby dashboards lol

I would much rather have a social arena permanent playlist than a permanent social slayer playlist so I'd rather see this...

over what Fata posted. In general the variety of gametypes would be nice...

Slayer is historically a more popular playlist than objective. While I prefer objective, it makes more sense to have Slayer as the permanent Social arena playlist. It also makes Team Arena and specific objective playlists have some novelty when they're on rotation.

Strider

Slayer is historically a more popular playlist than objective. While I prefer objective, it makes more sense to have Slayer as the permanent Social arena playlist. It also makes Team Arena and specific objective playlists have some novelty when they're on rotation.

I find everything in your post to be perfectly reasonable... i also acknowledge slayer playlists are generally more popular.

But 2 dedicated playlists for one game type is also a little ridiculous Imo. It would also give them the freedom to change the arena to HCS game types only which is what a lot of people want... And with a social arena playlist we could still play all the map/game type combinations if we choose. Not saying they even would need to do this but it would def open it up more...

Team Arena (HCS gametypes only)
Solo Q slayer
Breakout (add revive mechanic and possibly full shields)
SWAT
Doubles
FFA

Social Arena (torque, overgrowth, riptide etc)
BTB
Infection
Griffball
Rotational list

To be honest I'd really rather not have an all-Slayer 4v4 hopper at all and just funnel all the tryhards into FFA, but if we have to have one I think we should only have one, whether it's ranked or social. No sense in having ranked and unranked Team Slayer playlists.

Ryde3

To be honest I'd really rather not have an all-Slayer 4v4 hopper at all and just funnel all the tryhards into FFA, but if we have to have one I think we should only have one, whether it's ranked or social. No sense in having ranked and unranked Team Slayer playlists.

What is a tryhard? Someone who wants to win the game?

Personally I think the hoppers are fine, but Social should still be 4v4, we should have an objective only ranked playlist, make 'Team Arena' the HCS playlis, and add doubles!

I also don't feel like a solo slayer playlist is needed... it can go either way, sometimes you get good teammates sometimes they suck, let's not divide the player base even more.

What is a tryhard? Someone who wants to win the game?

Personally I think the hoppers are fine, but Social should still be 4v4, we should have an objective only ranked playlist, make 'Team Arena' the HCS playlis, and add doubles!

Someone who only spends their time in TDM not giving two shits about objective modes and becomes super OP when it comes to killing players but that's about it.

CLG-takes-HWC-Win.jpg

*cough*

If the enemy just hangs back surrounding your armory with ranged weapons and grenades and vehicles killing your whole team as they come out, not trying to capture, not trying to get bosses, I call that kill farming. Especially if they very easily blasted through capturing shit to get to that point, crushing us in the first engagements. That makes it seems like they could very easily wipe us out of the 3rd place if they wanted, but they instead hang back. Why else would they do that except to get more kills?

There's a lot here, but this probably isn't farming. Farming would be getting pushed back into your base, where your team would be unable to get out the front door, while the other team doesn't even bother to shoot the core.

Armories are pretty hard to capture if neither team is super focused, which at your level appears to be the case. Your teams are still getting boss kills, which shows that you guys are putting up a reasonable fight without getting farmed.

As for blaming team, yes I can blame the team when I see them do this. In games where my team has won, they went out and did different things all at once. Even in games where we lose but it was close, we all did different things at once and were just outplayed in engagements. That's fine. That's still interesting. If a team isn't responding to needs, and is using the same failing strategy for over 10 minutes straight, I do believe I can blame the team. It doesn't mean I am an amazing player compared to them, it simply means I can see the difference between what sometimes-winning teams do together and what always-losing teams do together. I don't see why I should go out and buy a headset to hold unilateral responsibility for trying to shake them out of it if I can simply opt out for now.

It honestly looks like you are just playing the game in a spectacularly self-destructive way. Teams of randoms are always sketchy in terms of coordination, but you are consistently one of the worst players on your team, which isn't a team problem, it's a you problem. You are paying for the other team's REQs by dying so often, more than nullifying the blue-moon sneaky cap you manage to pull off.

The center base is always the most important one, which is why people keep pushing for it, and the best way to actually capture that is with a concerted effort by the team. Splitting up is actually a terrible idea in many situations. Being aggressive and flanking is smart and works, but the way you are going about it... the results speak for themselves. You have the right idea, but your implementation is abysmal.

You just seem too inexperienced and/or stubborn to understand how the details of how the game is played, so it's pretty amusing that you keep blaming your teammates who are doing much, much better than you for your continued losses.

Top Bottom