• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

JackHerer

To be honest I'd really rather not have an all-Slayer 4v4 hopper at all and just funnel all the tryhards into FFA, but if we have to have one I think we should only have one, whether it's ranked or social. No sense in having ranked and unranked Team Slayer playlists.

As a community I think we should banish that term from our vocabulary for good. It's such a dumb insult that seemingly comes from a place of insecurity about your own personal skills.

Edit: CLG is known as a team with high objective efficiency, no? Hell they even dropped a few games of slayer to lesser teams in HWC. Don't get the pic.

the only THs are BraXzy and Sir_Dany12. Just look at their POST count!

GEEEZ GUYZ, calm down and take a breather! :p

kappa

But i agree, it's a really lame word. let us remove it!

Ryde3

As a community I think we should banish that term from our vocabulary for good. It's such a dumb insult that seemingly comes from a place of insecurity about your own personal skills.

Edit: CLG is known as a team with high objective efficiency, no? Hell they even dropped a few games of slayer to lesser teams in HWC. Don't get the pic.

I agree, I absolutely hate that term, it doesn't even make sense to me.

So you play to... not try and win? I get being OK with losing, but if you're going to compete in something, wouldn't you try hard and win?

So you play to... not try and win? I get being OK with losing, but if you're going to compete in something, wouldn't you try hard and win?

Hey dude,

When i was banned, we had a couple of games toghether in Slayer. Was cool to see me matched up with another HaloGaf member.

bchamba

What a bunch of tryhards trying their hardest to win $1 million. Just play for fun brooos.

I personally prefer the term bk.

blamite

I don't really know ho other people use it or ow serious they are about it, but personally I'm often playing just to be doing something while I listen to a podcast or a stream or something, and while I'm obviously trying to kill the dudes ad do the thing or whatever, I really don't care what the ultimate outcome of the game is. So from my perspective, I'd maybe casually use the term "tryhard" to describe someone who's really actively focused on the game, and thinking about their strategy, and really intent on winning. Not in a negative way or anything 'cause I totally respect that, but it's a different thing from what I'm doing.

That probably doesn't apply to how everyone else uses it, but eh, whatever. That's my perspective, anyway.

Ryde3

Hey dude,

When i was banned, we had a couple of games toghether in Slayer. Was cool to see me matched up with another HaloGaf member.

Haha no way, that's awesome (I think I vaguely remember your Gamertag) did my Achilles armor give me away =) ?

Shoot me a friend request let's party up next time!

Haha no way, that's awesome (I think I vaguely remember your Gamertag) did my Achilles armor give me away =) ?

Shoot me a friend request let's party up next time!

Yeah, i seen the armor in the pre-game spartan walk up. I SAID HOLD UP! HOLLLD U P! seen your name, isntantly knew.

I think we lost tho... HAHAHAHAHAH

Why is it called Alpha Halo if it's the fourth one?

JackHerer

Riptide is just badddd (especially slayer), and is one of the maps that really highlights how dumb the storm rifle is right now.

If they won't change its DPS then at least reduce the ammo/charge by half (or more) and/or spawn less frequently.

Ryde3

Riptide is just badddd (especially slayer), and is one of the maps that really highlights how dumb the storm rifle is right now.

If they won't change its DPS then at least reduce the ammo/charge by half (or more) and/or spawn less frequently.

I think it got worse with the removal of the Fuel Rod, now it's ALL about camping Blue Room/Beam Rifle, really hard to get control back.

Jesus everything about this post is full of denial, delusion, refusing responsibility, ignorance, factual inaccuracies, etc to the point where I couldn't possibly address it all. However, I will make some replies because the points are indicative of your level of thinking and the knowledge base you seem to be working from, as well as the manner in which you're presenting your argument and approaching the game.

Yes, I know you absolutely can't stand someone who doesn't do absolutely everything they can do to push things in the positive. That is your personality.

You haven't got the first clue of my personality, so, firstly, get the fuck out of here with that shit. I could give a shit if you're going negative if it's helping the team with its goal, but as Eugn noted, and as I addressed in the last post re: your assists, it *factually* is not.

My personality is to be analytical and evaluate whether or not doing so would push things into an entirely different realm of experience or not. That is something that has nothing to do with winning or losing, but with overall failing strategies that end in monotonous gameplay.

You aren't being analytical for shit. If you were, you'd check the theater clip, maybe figure out if the other team is using better paths or opening strats. You'd explore the map, figure out jumps or methods to escape your armory area, anything to do your part to contribute to a better experience. But this isn't what you mean by analytical. You're talking about feelings and whether things *feel* better or *feel* like the better strat or gameplan, whether or not they are in reality (spoilers: they're not).

So your failing strategies fail and doing the same thing over and over again and failing gets monotonous. Woooooooooowww. Congratulations.

How do you record more than 30 seconds? And even if you can, my hard drive space is pushed to the very limit. Am I to delete several games to appease you? Try to twitch stream with my 15/5 internet?
This is part of that approach of ignorance I mentioned that you seem to apply to everything, not just the game. Normal people know how to use google, get used to using the basic functions of devices they purchase, and occasionally do the smallest iota of research re: something like streaming before they try to negate a suggestion.

1) Snap the app and choose up to 5 minutes of the DVR footage to clip. Alternatively (not sure if this is available to non-preview dash members), set your "Record That" length to whatever you like.
2) The DVR has its own reserved space on the HDD; no need to delete games. How the fuck do you think it's still been working while it's full?
3) Why not stream to twitch? Have you even tried? Are you even aware of the bandwidth requirements? 5Mbps upload is more than enough. I stream 720p60 and it only uses like 3.6Mbps of upload. The app on the console uses much less. You realize you can change the quality settings too right? You don't have to do HD streaming if your connection sucks.

But I'm sure it's mine and others' fault for you not knowing these simple things too right?

If the enemy just hangs back surrounding your armory with ranged weapons and grenades and vehicles killing your whole team as they come out, not trying to capture, not trying to get bosses, I call that kill farming. ............ But then they don't, and you can't concede, so you have 10-13 minutes to blow. What to do with all that time if your personal "playing smart" won't make a difference? How to entertain yourself?

Again, this is your mental reality until you prove otherwise. The game stats on waypoint don't support your assertion. These teams aren't getting 30+ kills each. At best they're farming bosses. Many of your teammates don't seem to be in such dire straights. Did it ever occur to you that maybe if you help them fight off the siege that would help instead of just going full derp and blaming them? Sure it might be a long/prolonged fight. So what? Even when we've had an armory on lockdown, there's sometimes 1 or 2 people that are constantly preventing us from capping, thanks to respawns. You're complaining about ranged weapons, perhaps like this clip? If you are the other team, do you really think it makes sense to send in everyone to capture, or should they send maybe a couple to use as bait and the rest support? HMMMMMMMMMMM............ That's not even getting into your laughably delayed reaction time.

As far as your entertainment, who the fuck knows what you want from a Halo game?

You misread that. It is not a situation I would want to pick, hence me saying another option is better. I am painting a picture here for you of my team coming out of the armory and running right into that, or trying to deal with it slowly (read: endlessly) from cover; the group of guys coming out from the center base to shoot at us, aside from the vehicles closer or occasional 1 or 2 guys flanking. It's mostly just perpetual head-on clash of longrange shooting, and losing at that, especially as weapons ramp up for them. You say it sounds like a dumb engagement. I agree. That is exactly my point.

So, you're saying if you had all the special long range weapons unlocked, you wouldn't try to use them to break a siege. Or alternatively, if you don't, trying to close the distance is also a bad idea? Jesus...

No, I only played a little bit of arena and wasn't very good at the close-range multi-level pistol fights compared to them and didn't know the maps at all and haven't even been back to it since I learned things like people not showing up on radar when jumping. I also didn't care to be very defensive when I was just trying to get a look around at the levels and what sort of spots people were using rather than try and out-maneuver them in positioning myself.

This is literally the dumbest shit I've ever read.
Summary:
I wasn't very good and didn't want to get better. I didn't know the maps so instead of trying to check them out and get a general feel in custom games, I went into the competitive playlist and got shit on and am now using my lack of map knowledge for a reason I haven't tried Arena since. My goal is supposedly just looking around seeing what people are doing instead of trying to win the game, thus wasting the time of everyone on my team. It's not like I could have tried my best in the moment and try to acclimate, then later just go to theater and see the locations I was getting shot from in order to be *actually analytical* and learn.

@ bolded: what the actual fuck are you talking about?

Some things are common sense, like if they are perpetually attacking you en masse and you run out and die or stay in and die slower, maybe only killing a couple from long range out standing in front of the center base, at which point they'll be standing there again in a mere 7 seconds, then it is a pointless endeavor, is it not? So if the vast majority of your team is content to do that until the other team wins, you can pretty much see where it is headed already, right?

What? No. Sometimes, as Eugn pointed out, the best strat is to fight the hard fight over the center base. Some times it takes a long time to achieve (many minutes). These are large-scale, extended battles quite often in Warzone. Maybe you should play more WZ Assault to get better at attacking fortified positions on the WZ maps. Often as attackers you have lower REQs as well. It's good practice.

So when I recognize the static strategies .......... pick the one that actually occasionally causes an interesting moment to happen.
Maybe it's not working because you're not working with your team, not the other way around. But I guess winning a hard fought struggle isn't interesting for you either, so whatever.

Perhaps a $25 headset might help change that situation, but that isn't the plan I'm choosing. And did I ever try to objectively condemn the whole game for this? No I did not. I said the process as it is for me right now is like a chore, so I'll wait for something that will be different than this current setup. Anything more than that is something you choose to infer.

You realize you can use any 3.5mm headset/mic/whatever right? They cost a couple bucks. As for the process, it's only a chore because you make it so. I'm not inferring shit. Show the fucking receipts.

As for blaming team, yes I can blame the team when I see them do this.

The fact that every response is *still* you're the smartest guy in the room (or team in this case) and we just don't get it, begs to differ. #Receipts

Yes, I have made long posts, but if you hadn't noticed, they were always responses to clarify things for someone else with full detail so they understand what I'm talking about.

People understand what you're talking about. We just don't believe you.

I'm not just sitting here trying to write a book of hatred for Halo 5 to broadcast into the world, so if you get that feeling from the simple fact of those detailed explanations to others, again that is something you merely infer. I don't know why I can take some time to look at things and decide it isn't my jive yet but apparently stating it is a great evil that has to be argued with. I'm not trying to say the game you like is shit. I would have easily left that simple post and let that be it but you wanted to argue for some reason, so here I have explained my perspective on the events of the games and explained the phenomena of my record to the curious minds.

You haven't explained shit. Your record *factually* disagrees with half of what you say/claim and the other half is just conjecture based on feelings. Most of us *know* what farming really is. It is not fighting an extended siege for an armory. If that's farming for you, tough titties. For claiming to have an analytical mind, you seem rather poor at applying it in this particular case.

I'm not saying you hate Halo 5 (although from your responses I have no idea what you think Halo plays like). I'm saying your complaints and stories are unwarranted, unsubstantiated by facts, or exaggerated at best. As far as your "simple post", don't even try and rewrite history when everyone can see it. First, I didn't respond to that post, nice try though. Second, this has been a multi-page, multi-day discussion with You v. Literally Everyone Else. People suggested you party up, join in on community parties, post gameplay to help you, etc, etc. You do literally fucking nothing of the sort and continue bitching in the thread after every couple games. It started out fairly cordial and whatnot, but like your shitty teammates, some of us can only stand head-banging, I-don't-want-to-better-myself, nothing is my fault, no way it's a problem on my end, allow me to narrate my experience in matchmaking every other game, everyone I play with is stupid, straight up shitposting for so long.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Whoa. Halo 5 crashed my Xbone so bad that I had to pull the plug. It started by the game freezing completely for 10 seconds or so when I tried to pull up the in-game scoreboard a few times. Still managed to somehow 12K 3D the match, lol. But after that, full freeze.

Whoa. Halo 5 crashed my Xbone so bad that I had to pull the plug. It started by the game freezing completely for 10 secondsor so when I tried to pull up the ingame scoreboard a few times. Still managed to somehow 12K 3D the match, lol. But after that, full freeze.

Reported.

Incident: Hacking Halo 5.

Reported.

Incident: Hacking Halo 5.

Oh GUFU, you a snitch now, huh?

dwill.png

Akai__

Just wanted to repeat that Halo 5 is a pretty awesome game, which hasn't been the case since Halo 3 MP wise, for me. 343i did a great job, so props to 343i.

I have lots of fun with it, even if we (as the community) still have a coupple thing that we want to see improved or disagree with.

Cranster

Banned
Just wanted to repeat that Halo 5 is a pretty awesome game, which hasn't been the case since Halo 3 MP wise, for me. 343i did a great job, so props to 343i.

I have lots of fun with it, even if we (as the community) still have a coupple thing that we want to see improved or disagree with.
I pretty much agree. Outside of maps and a few criticisms I have that some disagree with I enjoy Halo 5 more than Reach and Halo 4. I just hope the next mainline Halo game ships with more content at launch than Halo 5 did.

Chittagong

Gold Member

I totally agree, it's the best Halo MP to date, in my opinion. Awesome balance, fun maps, overall just fantastic.

My personal list of things I hope they'd fix, in order of importance

1 - Fix the lag and hangs, and introduce ping indication. It's not bad as it used to be, but still many games have significant lag, stats won't load, or game freezes altogether. I shouldn't be able to tell in the first second from the weightier controls that the match is going to be awful, as happens now. Again, this was worst in February, but still an issue in UK at least.

2 - Allow me to block teams in MM. I don't want to get matched against teams with a bunch of strangers. Especially not ones where one guy is high Onyx but gets matched against me because he teams up with some golds.

3 - Scrap the monthly re-ranking seasons. Nothing is less motivating than knowing that in two days I'm going to lose my Plat and be silver again, after a month long grind.

4 - Nerf or remove Spartan Charge. I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, but I dislike SC because it encourages running around with your finger on melee, and takes Halo yet closer to a twitch shooter. If I want CoD I'll play CoD

5 - Use amount of games, KD and WL in matchmaking. Too many times I have had people with less than 10 matches on their record wrecking the game for whichever unlucky team they are placed in. Keep these players in their own league.

6 - Create a Team Objective list with no Slayer. Everybody plays the current TA for KD only. I think removal of Slayer would help.

With those fixes, I believe Halo will be true GOAT.

I would really like the req ui in warzone to be faster.

Yeah, we were speculating about this the other night online. It's super annoying, and gets worse the more stuff you have.

It's presumably because the game is actually querying the server to confirm what REQs are in your inventory every time, so you can't cheese it by being on Waypoint and doing something like buying two packs simultaneously with the same points.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, we were speculating about this the other night online. It's super annoying, and gets worse the more stuff you have.

It's presumably because the game is actually querying the server to confirm what REQs are in your inventory every time, so you can't cheese it by being on Waypoint and doing something like buying two packs simultaneously with the same points.

It's marginally faster than it was at launch, al least, although you might be right that it's an issue of server stuff. You'd think a more efficient option would be querying the server once at the start of a match though.

I'd pay 343i to include country flag display. Honestly we're going to bitch about connection quality always, please just show us:

1. the selected dedicated server using a country flag or icon for the specific datacentre as the game loads up.

2. all player cards always include their country flag.

3. Post carnage report and in game back menu shows the dedis flag too.

Broken record time, toggles and player choice would negate the need for such things. If you're not going to give us control/choice please at least show us what you're doing and who we're matching with. I know it would remove a lot of the inherent frustration of playing online for me. Oh I see the guy who went 30k 5d live in Singapore where the game I just played was dedis hosted, frustration mitigated for the most part IMO. It also helps us adjust our gameplay.

Ping would nice per player but I'd settle for just flags.

Also what happened to the Reach UI that highlights players in a party? Can we get those sorts of elements back please. Again before the match starts you have a better indicator of what's about to go down.

Played a decent amount of btb with a friend and gotta say most maps now play great and really like the new maps (antifreeze is another story) but the only problem I had was how clueless some of my teammates were on strongholds to the point where we lost almost all games of strongholds when we had no reason to.

Also side note the Map that is basically sand trap 2.0 is really well done and looks great but so far best looking map is scavenger.

BraXzy

the only THs are BraXzy and Sir_Dany12. Just look at their POST count!

GEEEZ GUYZ, calm down and take a breather! :p

I barely post anymore and ya'll still lagging behind smh. Kinda like ya Halo skillz amiryt?

Nearly top of page hype... Reckon we will get a livestream this Friday folks?

I barely post anymore and ya'll still lagging behind smh. Kinda like ya Halo skillz amiryt?

Nearly top of page hype... Reckon we will get a livestream this Friday folks?

They didn't say anything. Maybe mid next week or only next Friday.

@Gosu I'm only helping HaloGAF Kappa

Top Bottom