• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

*reads back through last few pages*

*backs slowly out of thread*

*returns briefly*

In other news, looking forward to trying out the expanded BTB list!

*flees*

[Edit: in second clip, in that situation (2 bases to 1, good lead), just leave those idiots to it. They're not doing anything productive sniping like that unless you *make it productive*. Balancing your aggression and strategy on the fly is one of the joys of Halo, imo, and that was out of joint]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
First clip is just a not smart play. You know the sniper is staring at you but you stay in his sights. Maybe thrust away when you see it next time instead of wasting a death trying to "pinpoint". A death does nothing but fuel their REQs.

Second clip, a viable option is to go through back tunnel. You can even escape your current trap by not using the easy-to-watch ramp and jump up the right side of the docks instead.
Again, this isn't about winning or losing. I wasn't asking how to "do better" in regard to those specific clips because I was intentionally making clips to demonstrate the kind of ranged fighting I was talking about not wanting to do. I know very well not to stand looking out to a sniper or stay on a mostly exposed ramp vs 3 people, but to show what it is like to face them with the gun I have in a clip you have to be out there facing them with that gun.

Back tunnel has plenty of cover to traverse between while you go through it if necessary and there's even fortress-side secondary paths to force closer engagements once you get to the other side (assuming the destructible rocks are already broken, which they usually are that far into a match). There's also the boxes and crates for cover once you make it out of the tunnel.

Of course, you guys have 2 bases, including the most important one, and you said you're killing bosses, so you're going to win anyway, barring some epic comeback. Like, even if they get the Warden coming up in 30 secs in the second clip, you guys can maintain control and gain objective point gains. It's not always about being super aggressive or trying to outshoot folks. Maybe use the Warden as a distraction to break out and flank them, further ensuring the victory?
That is what we did. They brought out a wraith to take Warden but it didn't matter. My point is that my best options were incredibly boring. Hang out and protect base if they moved up, do nothing meaningful or die in long-range battles if I got bored enough, go around to the cave and try to wiggle up between covers as they got 2-3 hits now and then because they aren't dumb and know the paths to their base and have good coverage (that's why the guy with the DMR was on that side of his base), maybe try to force close-range stuff as you say except while I'm tied up with the close-range guys there are always ranged guys still so that's a no-go.

Yes, focusing on my only means of actually getting points (bosses here) is most beneficial for winning, but I don't get some amazing rush of joy just from winning, and if I did it wouldn't reach back in time to make playing through the match fun. If the gameplay is generally these boring long-distance standoffs or trying to sneak somewhere that I'll be outnumbered, it's just not engaging. In the games we end up under siege in an armory, that's an even more limiting situation in terms of effective strategies, and actually-fun options are pretty much nonexistent. If that's how Warzone usually turns out, it's almost worthless until I unlock some ranged guns, and even then it seems like it'd be bland half the time.

Arena offers a lot more variety of guns in play as well as ranges of combat, so I think BTB may be better even though it unfortunately doesn't get to the same scale. This whooooole thing (aside from the spawn issues) has just been the process of me realizing this is the nature of Warzone, trying to see if different things are at all viable to make it more interesting to me, and then realizing with enough experimentation that nothing really is. That's all. Anything more was me explaining to those who wanted to know what exactly I was experiencing and doing.

EDIT: The archive of the Warzone stream from Saturday is still available, including party chat if you want to gleam meta-strats (a lot of it is us joking around and shit) and maybe figure out some general gameplay stuff. I have everything unlocked, so your engagements won't be identical, but it might help since Eugn cut his stream short tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/yourexwife/v/56879481
I'll see how things play out in it, but if I see you using a lot of zoom guns and above-common REQs I'm going to feel very vindicated in my view of the nature of Warzone. :p

IHaveIce

Banned
Well of course "zoom guns" will be used. If you don't use a BR or something along the lines you are doing it wrong. The standard BR is unlocked very early.

Well of course "zoom guns" will be used. If you don't use a BR or something along the lines you are doing it wrong. The standard BR is unlocked very early.

Not to mention, part of the matchmaking for warzone takes into account what REQs you have unlocked, so the people we're playing against have decent unlocks too. There are common and uncommon rarity versions of the "good scopes" as well. I had some version of a longshot and smgs within a week of launch IIRC.

Trup1aya

For me, the key to enjoying Warzone was to stop looking at it through the lense of traditional Halo gametypes.

Yea, in WZ you will find yourself losing encounters through no fault of your own. its often impossible to anticipate where your next event will be, and how they will be equipped.

But that's ok.

Unlike arena, individual deaths really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things. You've got 11 teamates to pick up slack, and your life wasn't with many Victory Points

What's more important is being in the right place at the right time. Regardless of the weapons at your disposal. I typical stick with loadout weapons and don't have an issue contributing The team.

Dice

All longshots in the loadout screen show as uncommon and the most basic DMR is rare so I don't know what you're talking about. I have two ARs and one BR left to unlock in the commons and none of them have a decent zoom for long range (nothing better than the BR those clips display). In addition to those I have 36 more common unlocks of armor and emblems left and then tons of non-loadout things in uncommon and above. So even if I clear all commons first before moving to silver packs, if what has happened with bronze packs was any clue, it will unlock 2/3 of the certifications before it starts giving me uncommon or rare loadout items. It's very chore-like.

Trup1aya

All longshots in the loadout screen show as uncommon and the most basic DMR is rare so I don't know what you're talking about. I have two ARs and one BR left to unlock in the commons and none of them have a decent zoom for long range (nothing better than the BR those clips display). In addition to those I have 36 more common unlocks of armor and emblems left and then tons of non-loadout things in uncommon and above. So even if I clear all commons first before moving to silver packs, if what has happened with bronze packs was any clue, it will unlock 2/3 of the certifications before it starts giving me uncommon or rare loadout items. It's very chore-like.

It's definately chore like (especially with all the useless cosmetic shit), but honestly you have everything you need to compete. When I say I stick with loadout weapons, I meant AR, Pistol, BR. By the time I hit level 6, i forget I even have a DMR (which I just got two weeks ago, been playing since launch). Either that or I've picked one up from a dead Spartan.

You really don't have to own a long ranged weapons to be succesful in this gametype. You either need to approach from a different angle, get help from teamates, or work on an objective you are better equipped for.

Warzone does often have lots of long-range pinging, which can be very irritating, but I find myself in CQC and mid-range combat frequently, all over the maps. H4 Ragnarok they aren't, in my general experience.

TBH you only need a minimal amount of stuff to be successful in Warzone, two BRs are all you need to defend yourself, and for power weapons Whiplash and The Answer are easily obtained, even without them the common Railgun and SAW can do a decent job as well. There are also a lot of often overlooked power weapons like Hailstorm (advanced Needler) and Void's Tear (advanced Plasma Pistol), both are absolutely beasts if you engage with them smartly.

For vehicles if you don't plan to use a warthog, then start with Sword Ghost, when you have Ghost Ultra you don't need anything else, the rest are just cherry on top.

Also: Warzone is a different story, but you can easily make your way through Warzone Assault without any supplementary REQs. It's an easy way to build them up and get certifications.

Swat is a game type that feels great once you are able to pop everybody in the head the second you see them but hate when I start doing bad and because of that my shots start to be off and lose the momentum I had before. though swatnums i always enjoy because if you are half decent with a pistol you can go off pretty easily and kind influences people to not fight so far away and engage in more closer range battles. Still would want to see if swat ctf will be a thing because would love to see how that plays.

BraXzy

I guess it's super popular statistically and numerically because of my charisma and influence.

Can confirm. I started to go off SWAT in H5 though, I think partly because I started to prefer Breakout more. But gotta be honest, SWATnums coming up so often drove me mad.

My pistol game ain't on point.

Trup1aya

When I play Warzone, it's pistol/AR till level 3. Then Classic BR/AR till level 4. Then Classic BR/SMG till the end.

I keep a couple of ghost ultra's for when shit gets tough, and I keep Whiplashes for the same reason.

everything else gets sold for RP so that, one day, I can get out of Silvers.

53% Win percentage, going soloQ almost always, so it's working fine, I'd say.

Can we praise you to give us Loadouts for Warzone?!?

This so much, or at least some type of favorite system to where the load out reqs you favorite or use the most will be before the rest. that or have type of system to where you reach a set level and can access the weapons of your loadout the next time you die or reach a req station the weapons you have are switched out with your loadout.

because I don't own the halo 2 br or anything that special my combo never goes past a br with extended clip and a smg with that attachment that does good damage to vehicles and incinerate people when killed by it. so one load out would be good enough and just change it accordingly in game depending on the situation.

Yeah, I'd love a loadout thing for AR/Classic BR > SMG/Classic BR Silenced > SMG Silenced/Classice BR Silenced > SMG bayonet evil/DMR > SMG bayonet evil/DMR Silenced.

If I'd read that ^ in a Halo thread 5 years ago I'd have vomited.

Yay Arena!

Dice

Played some games of BTB slayer that was pretty fun. I was using it to get my last BR commendation so it'd be even more interesting using the other weapons laying around more.

(especially with all the useless cosmetic shit)
What, you don't want 4 aviator helmets? -_^

Dice

Got my first #1 spot on a winning WZ game. It mattered to me because I used a booster card that required victory to get my reward, lol.

Can confirm Aussie BTB is back to finding matches quickly and with good to great connections. A mate's birthday today and we all jumped in late. Shit-ton of fun and we only dropped one game.

Can we get some flag and bomb in BTB though? We played 7 or 8 games and almost all was slayer. Anyhow it appears the latest update about regions was on the money. Here's hoping the population sticks around now that it's not ranked.

As a community I think we should banish that term from our vocabulary for good. It's such a dumb insult that seemingly comes from a place of insecurity about your own personal skills.

Edit: CLG is known as a team with high objective efficiency, no? Hell they even dropped a few games of slayer to lesser teams in HWC. Don't get the pic.
I self-identify as a tryhard. Don't try to take that word from me.

Well that Warzone Pack I got from Braxxzy was excellent. I got some many great certifications.

Can't wait to use them to save GOSU from over-committing to the Warden
troll.png

Well that Warzone Pack I got from Braxxzy was excellent. I got some many great certifications.

Can't wait to use them to save GOSU from over-committing to the Warden
troll.png

Were you in the game where i kept trying to Ground Pound the warden and his sword would just throw me the other way?

bitch

Ryde3

I'm starting to feel like monthly seasons are too short. Perhaps quarterly? Bi-Monthly? I haven't had the time to grind from Diamond to Onyx+ this month :(

Strider

I'm starting to feel like monthly seasons are too short. Perhaps quarterly? Bi-Monthly? I haven't had the time to grind from Diamond to Onyx+ this month :(

Monthly seasons are definitely too short especially since the rewards are trash... Seasons right now are pointless

MaGlock

So would you guys rather have bi-monthly rankings or tri-monthly? I understand the annoyance it is for the people who play 100+ games per month but I also see it's a good way to get people to pick it back up every month just for placement matches, I'd like to see a breakdown on the # of people who complete 10, 20, 30 games etc. Per season. Also people who make alts to wreck in lower tiers have a special place in hell imo. I'm mid tier diamond in arena and played a guy 9 games into his placements and had a 10.2 KDA he has a wrecking crew

Fuchsdh

I think two month seasons would be fine, would be fine with three month seasons too. Really anything longer than a month. I'm probably only playing 25-50 Arena games a month anyhow. Mostly it stops me from trying to actually rank in anything else but a single playlist (in my case Arena.)

Heh heh, I ain't gonna lie to you breh, I just made that one up for light ribbing purposes.

I had no idea you actually tried to ground pound the Warden ...

oxHMiK3.gif

Or maybe it was a joke and i never, ever,ever try to ground pount the warden as you take the man cannon from the armory in Urban. :p

Just glad you didnt use this ...

8VC5EcA.gif

TBH you only need a minimal amount of stuff to be successful in Warzone, two BRs are all you need to defend yourself, and for power weapons Whiplash and The Answer are easily obtained, even without them the common Railgun and SAW can do a decent job as well. There are also a lot of often overlooked power weapons like Hailstorm (advanced Needler) and Void's Tear (advanced Plasma Pistol), both are absolutely beasts if you engage with them smartly.
I have several void's tears sitting in my armory and I have never done anything with them. How do you approach using it?

Oh and how do you fire the banshee's green cannon thing? Seriously I've tried everything and no luck.

Top Bottom