• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

I have several void's tears sitting in my armory and I have never done anything with them. How do you approach using it?

Oh and how do you fire the banshee's green cannon thing? Seriously I've tried everything and no luck.

Smart-link and charge fire it, it has insane amount of tracking ability. Go flank with it, a direct hit will almost always guarantee a kill on unsuspected Spartans, unless they realize what is hitting them and thrust away immediately. But it is even a bigger beast on vehicles, against Warthogs, Ghosts and Mongeese the blackhole plus the shutdown effect is incredible.

Smart-link and charge fire it, it has insane amount of tracking ability. Go flank with it, a direct hit will almost always guarantee a kill on unsuspected Spartans, unless they realize what is hitting them and thrust away immediately. But it is even a bigger beast on vehicles, against Warthogs, Ghosts and Mongeese the blackhole plus the shutdown effect is incredible.
I'll have to test it out. Oh and I finally just learned that there is a toggle button to switch between the banshee's normal fire and green bomb... I've been playing the game for almost 6 months now and didn't know. Wasted a phaeton too because I couldn't figure out its weapon controls either. Bunch of bull shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sometimes boss kills are so random. If someone bothers to pull out explosives or a rail gun or something I can respect that effort, but when everyone is shooting assault rifles or something and it's just whatever random bullet is the last hit that's kinda weird.

Sometimes boss kills are so random. If someone bothers to pull out explosives or a rail gun or something I can respect that effort, but when everyone is shooting assault rifles or something and it's just whatever random bullet is the last hit that's kinda weird.
Yeah there's got to be a better way.

EYEL1NER

I'll have to test it out. Oh and I finally just learned that there is a toggle button to switch between the banshee's normal fire and green bomb... I've been playing the game for almost 6 months now and didn't know. Wasted a phaeton too because I couldn't figure out its weapon controls either. Bunch of bull shit.
I made sure to load up a forge map recently and spawn a bunch of vehicles so I could get some time using them. It took me a bit to find the Banshee alt-fire as well; I would not have expected it to be on the button I found it on. But I figured it would be better to play around with the vehicles that way than to using up a REQ and not knowing what I was doing. I mainly went in to try out the Phaeton, since I never even see those anywhere else, let alone would have a chance to use one.

I made sure to load up a forge map recently and spawn a bunch of vehicles so I could get some time using them. It took me a bit to find the Banshee alt-fire as well; I would not have expected it to be on the button I found it on. But I figured it would be better to play around with the vehicles that way than to using up a REQ and not knowing what I was doing. I mainly went in to try out the Phaeton, since I never even see those anywhere else, let alone would have a chance to use one.
I should have done what you did and tested things out in a custom game first. I've gotten a few legendaries so far. My favorite that I've used has been nornfang. Destroyed a tank and got quite a few kills with it. I've also got a prophet's bane just waiting to be used.

JackHerer

Prophet's Bane is pretty awesome. It has insane lunge range with ADS on top of the invisibility. You really feel like you're the predator stalking prey.

My favorite high-level WZ weapons:

Nornfang, The Answer, Prophet's Bane, Dying Star, Void's Tear, Blood of Suban, Whiplash, Blaze of Glory, CE Magnum, Whispered Truth (very cool but didn't get to play with this much, bad luck).

We really need a Fiesta - Mythic edition

Just jumped back in to playing this after a couple of months hiatus.

I guess I don't really get the appeal of Warzone. I feel like I just get stomped on by everyone. Maybe a combination of opponents having better Reqs + knowing the maps better? What's the consensus on Warzone here? I really like the idea of it.

Standard Halo modes are still great. This game seriously plays like a dream.

Just jumped back in to playing this after a couple of months hiatus.

I guess I don't really get the appeal of Warzone. I feel like I just get stomped on by everyone. Maybe a combination of opponents having better Reqs + knowing the maps better? What's the consensus on Warzone here? I really like the idea of it.

Standard Halo modes are still great. This game seriously plays like a dream.
Did you do warzone assault or regular warzone? Warzone assault is more friendly to people just starting out, but also the more annoying gametype imo since the fighting is focused around a single base, which can and often leads to a lot more dying. Once you've got more weapon certs wz is a lot more fun imo because the teams are more spread out between bases and bosses and you have more time to use the higher reqs.

Ryde3

Monthly seasons are definitely too short especially since the rewards are trash... Seasons right now are pointless

I also want proper leaderboards! and Spartan Company tools in the game.

Halotracker.com is cool, but it only includes people who register...

Welfare

Bring in leaderboards, daily and weekly challenges, and bigger incentives for continuing to play in Arena after get placed.

Simple things really, but are not in for some reason.

Did you do warzone assault or regular warzone? Warzone assault is more friendly to people just starting out, but also the more annoying gametype imo since the fighting is focused around a single base, which can and often leads to a lot more dying. Once you've got more weapon certs wz is a lot more fun imo because the teams are more spread out between bases and bosses and you have more time to use the higher reqs.

I think I did Warzone Assault. Is Assault just one team defending / the other team attacking?

I guess my frustration was because I have limited time to play, so dying a lot just wasn't appealing. I'll give it another shot tonight hopefully.

You sick bastard
Must be related
GKkX2GU.png

All longshots in the loadout screen show as uncommon and the most basic DMR is rare so I don't know what you're talking about. I have two ARs and one BR left to unlock in the commons and none of them have a decent zoom for long range (nothing better than the BR those clips display). In addition to those I have 36 more common unlocks of armor and emblems left and then tons of non-loadout things in uncommon and above. So even if I clear all commons first before moving to silver packs, if what has happened with bronze packs was any clue, it will unlock 2/3 of the certifications before it starts giving me uncommon or rare loadout items. It's very chore-like.
I use the standard BR (or classic, same zoom length) the entirety of my warzone matches. Sometimes I use a DMR but I often forget they since my variants are like REQ level 7. Here's the thing: I do perfectly fine without super long range weapons. You know why? I don't engage in super long range fights. You posted two clips (this was like 10 hours ago, I apologize.) In those clips, you keep trying to ping people way the fuck far away from yourself with your BR. You're not going to win that fight, you're never going to kill someone that far away. So stop shooting at them. In the second clip, instead of trying to shoot guys on top of the armory from the fortress ramp, just move into the fortress. Push out somewhere with your team. You need to get closer, because random pot shots on someone well outside the effective range of the BR are completely pointless.

Edit:
I have several void's tears sitting in my armory and I have never done anything with them. How do you approach using it?

Oh and how do you fire the banshee's green cannon thing? Seriously I've tried everything and no luck.
Push Y. You switch between cannons and the bomb. It's just like switching guns.

Fuchsdh

I use the standard BR (or classic, same zoom length) the entirety of my warzone matches. Sometimes I use a DMR but I often forget they since my variants are like REQ level 7. Here's the thing: I do perfectly fine without super long range weapons. You know why? I don't engage in super long range fights. You posted two clips (this was like 10 hours ago, I apologize.) In those clips, you keep trying to ping people way the fuck far away from yourself with your BR. You're not going to win that fight, you're never going to kill someone that far away. So stop shooting at them. In the second clip, instead of trying to shoot guys on top of the armory from the fortress ramp, just move into the fortress. Push out somewhere with your team. You need to get closer, because random pot shots on someone well outside the effective range of the BR are completely pointless.

Edit:

Push Y. You switch between cannons and the bomb. It's just like switching guns.

Yep. Longshot and Sentinel variants aren't really that useful outside of teamshot situations anyhow, because anyone with half a brain will thrust to cover and you're going to spend your days plugging people with three shots and then having to get more ammo.

I stick with Classic BRs as soon as I get Level 3 and only switch to DMRs rarely depending on the situation.

Ryde3

Bring in leaderboards, daily and weekly challenges, and bigger incentives for continuing to play in Arena after get placed.

Simple things really, but are not in for some reason.

Would love some daily/weekly challenges for some nice RP, limited items etc. Would add so much (more) longevity.

Fuchsdh

The higher-REQ Storm Rifle variant is also surprisingly great for base assaults or defense. Really there are a ton of great REQs for you to choose from, it's just a question of whether one is good enough that it's foolish to waste REQs on lower items. Depends mostly on your play style and performance.

Akai__

Damn it. Lost 4 matches out of the 6. We played like poop today and we know that. Have been watching our games in the theater afterwards and there were so many mistakes. The last game we had a good lead and just handed the win to the enemy team.

Tomorrow is also the last day of this Season and I'm hovering at Onyx 1630, so I'll most likely not break 1700 again. If only I could start from Onyx 1500 next Season, as I find the 10 placement matches and that grind to Onyx pretty dumb each time. You should really only have 10 placement matches, when you do them for the 1st time. Afterwards, they should drop them down and come up with a better way to place people in the following seasons.

I still like the game, though. :p

Akai__

The higher-REQ Storm Rifle variant is also surprisingly great for base assaults or defense. Really there are a ton of great REQs for you to choose from, it's just a question of whether one is good enough that it's foolish to waste REQs on lower items. Depends mostly on your play style and performance.

Yeah, the Storm Rifle with the unstable explosive shots is really crazy. Gives me hope that the higher REQ Surpressors will actually be useful.

People who glitch their way into the geometry in Warzone bases so you can't capture them are pricks.

Your only bet is a Gravity Hammer, but that can also be pretty difficult during all the action. Update can't come soon enough.

singhr1

Man, Doom 2016 shares a lot aesthetically with Halo 5. For example, the armor and rocket launcher stand out the most:

The Doom player models also just look like plastic toy figures, I appreciate Halo 5's models so much more now.

Akai__

Surely the update is next week right?

Hopefully before Quantum Break.

Please Frankie, I won't be able to leave it for at least a week.

They haven't announced the stream for the CU yet, so don't get your hopes up. The CU always launched after the stream.

Gonna have to wait until Friday. We will probably hear more then.

Man, Doom 2016 shares a lot aesthetically with Halo 5. For example, the armor and rocket launcher stand out the most:

The Doom player models also just look like plastic toy figures, I appreciate Halo 5's models so much more now.

Certain Affinity. Explains it all.

singhr1

They haven't announced the stream for the CU yet, so don't get your hopes up. The CU always launched after the stream.

Gonna have to wait until Friday. We will probably hear more then.

Certain Affinity. Explains it all.

Oh man! Makes so much sense now. I wonder if it'll be enough to break me out of Halo 5 multiplayer between updates.

I'm pretty sure the limit is in the 30s, so we had more vehicles fielded then there were players in the game.

We had at least four scorpions, a mantis, and two banshees.

Holy shit!

Okay, I have pre-cleared Halo time for later tonight, as I will not be on this weekend.

belushy

Banned
So why is Ogre2 already off of Ninjas team?
His choice or theres to dump him?

We're gonna go through so many different rosters before the Pro League roster lock, so there is still a chance he could end up on there.

What I hope for is a LAN or big money online tournament soon to force teams together. I could see EG even changing again because I think the problems are deeper than just Commonly.

We're gonna go through so many different rosters before the Pro League roster lock, so there is still a chance he could end up on there.

What I hope for is a LAN or big money online tournament soon to force teams together. I could see EG even changing again because I think the problems are deeper than just Commonly.

what was the EG versus Renegades score from last night? do you know?

Top Bottom