• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Strider

Lethul got Diamond 1 in Arena lol.

I placed Diamond 2. Lethul placed Diamond 1. I am better confirmed.

BraXzy

Michael Byron and Tom French from the forge team have both tweeted pictures teasing new items coming in forge in the next update. Looks like foliage is a big part.

Okay now that is exciting. Extra foliage is always a good thang.

Someone add it to all the current UNSC maps to spice them up :'D

DAMN

TYRANT
Forestalling the Flood required sacrifice. Worlds were burned to molten husks to deny the parasite new hosts, Forerunner citizens immolated themselves in fusion fire when infection forms overran final defensive structures, and starships jumped into suns to deny the Gravemind a vehicle to spread his malevolent influence. In this particular system, the Forerunner Miner rate had built a network of colonies buried deep inside rich planetoids, crafting comfortable warrens and workshops as beautiful as they were labyrinthine. Protected by layers of hard light and exotic matter, and fitted with energy projectors powered by seething natal universes, they were impregnable fortresses that the Flood broke themselves on . . . until the Gravemind itself turned an infinitesimal portion of its baleful intelligence to bear on the problem.

Grasping impossible filaments buried beneath reality by the long-vanished Precursors, Gravemind pulled at strands that twisted and warped real space. Walls made of collapsed starmatter cracked and shattered, entire fleets of kilometer-long warships vanished in flares of scathing light, and colony planetoids were ripped asunder; cracks in the Miner’s defenses into which the Gravemind poured billions of walking corpses, all cackling with one voice that drowned out desperate screams and final shouts of useless defiance. Those that survived the initial onslaught could only activate failsafes and await hordes of twitching Flood forms wearing the bodies of their families. The facility known as Zeta Hydronis Secundus, Site C by human explorers is one of the few mostly-intact Forerunner structures remaining in the system, a grim reminder that even godlike artifice can be undone by the minds and hands of mad and boundless tyrants.

DAMN

I love that writing. That is some Lovecraftian shit right there.

Yeah, pretty cool.

Also, I broke down and ordered Halo Fleet Battles! What have I done.

Bought a lot of plastic that's going to be a bear to paint, mostly.

Maaaan I wish I had the time and disposable income.

And that they had a CSO class model. But that's because the idea of meter+ long miniatures amuses me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a lot of plastic that's going to be a bear to paint, mostly.

Maaaan I wish I had the time and disposable income.

And that they had a CSO class model. But that's because the idea of meter+ long miniatures amuses me.

Lol.

I never painted minis before so it will definitely take some time. Not sure where I will fit it in with other hobbies. At least they look decent without being painted.

nillapuddin

Michael Byron and Tom French from the forge team have both tweeted pictures teasing new items coming in forge in the next update. Looks like foliage is a big part.

Yeah, foliage whatever,

check out that wall piece!! I hope its the fixed 2x24x20 !
nobodycares

Miker

So, uh, how long does it take for the matchmaking system to demote you? Because I'm a new player, SR15 and 8 hours played in Gold 1 in Team Slayer, and my K/D ratio has been 0.5 for the past 10 games or so. Despite that, the game seemingly refuses to match me up with worse players. It seems like everybody I run into has at least 50 hours in the game and crazy KDA. I think I've seen 2 silver players and zero bronze players in my entire time, but I see a crapton of platinums and a small handful of diamonds. I'm clearly dragging my team down, and I hate dying every few seconds to people who are clearly much better than me.

I know Halo 5 is the most hardcore game of the franchise in its mechanics, and probably in terms of playerbase as well due to being on Xbone, but I didn't expect it to be this rough for new players. Will this eventually stabilize, or am I just in for a rough ride?

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, uh, how long does it take for the matchmaking system to demote you? Because I'm a new player, SR15 and 8 hours played in Gold 1 in Team Slayer, and my K/D ratio has been 0.5 for the past 10 games or so. Despite that, the game seemingly refuses to match me up with worse players. It seems like everybody I run into has at least 50 hours in the game and crazy KDA. I think I've seen 2 silver players and zero bronze players in my entire time, but I see a crapton of platinums and a small handful of diamonds. I'm clearly dragging my team down, and I hate dying every few seconds to people who are clearly much better than me.

I know Halo 5 is the most hardcore game of the franchise in its mechanics, and probably in terms of playerbase as well due to being on Xbone, but I didn't expect it to be this rough for new players. Will this eventually stabilize, or am I just in for a rough ride?

You should be down MMRed pretty much now. The game is pretty good at getting you to 50%. So I think if you keep playing you'll soon get easier opponents.

Beginning might be a bit rough but nothing too awful. I'm not a very good player but I got hang of it pretty quickly.

The one thing that sucks is that you get matched against 50h+ players. That's just wrong.

I really need to stop playing on reset day. I do my placement matches this morning win five out of my ten and the game puts me 75% of the way through Plat 4. Cool whatever, so I play for around two hours tonight. I go on a pretty decent streak and almost get to Plat 6. Then the game decides, you know you been winning too much so fuck you. Now I'm back down in Plat three.

Just seems like everyone is better than me on reset day and I can't do shit.

Ropf3OC.png

EYEL1NER

Lesson here. Dont play matches first day of reset. Maybe let alone first week.
I saw what people were saying last reset day and decided I didn't want to play for a couple days after the first. I'll wait until the bulk of the Onyx and Platinums and Diamonds have obtained their ranks in Breakout and then I'll try to get another mid-tier Silver again. I'll just stick to BTB, Grifball, and Warzones until I turn my rent check in and then work on mainline Arena stuff again.

Scratch that, only play on the final day for true test of skill.

With only 2 hours left until reset?

Went in with my friend and got slapped, lol.

Yeesh, after seeing everyone post up their last 20 games, im glad im busy right now and. Not playing. Lol

I saw what people were saying last reset day and decided I didn't want to play for a couple days after the first. I'll wait until the bulk of the Onyx and Platinums and Diamonds have obtained their ranks in Breakout and then I'll try to get another mid-tier Silver again. I'll just stick to BTB, Grifball, and Warzones until I turn my rent check in and then work on mainline Arena stuff again.

Ppl still play breakout? This an april fools day joke?

kappa

Miker

You should be down MMRed pretty much now. The game is pretty good at getting you to 50%. So I think if you keep playing you'll soon get easier opponents.

Beginning might be a bit rough but nothing too awful. I'm not a very good player but I got hang of it pretty quickly.

The one thing that sucks is that you get matched against 50h+ players. That's just wrong.

Oh yeah, it's first day of placements. Hopefully things get better tomorrow :( I don't know why the system requires the full 10 for the month - is it really going to narrow your CSR down /that much/ if you play 10 instead of, 3 or 5?

EYEL1NER

It's so nice being on Silver. It's like Christmas every time I open a REQ pack. Like item helms and armor seem to follow each other, in my experience, and I just unlocked the rare version of the Anubis helmet. So hopefully the armor pops in the next pack or two because then I'll equip that (I like the Anubis armor I already unlocked but like I would use some 'common' rarity Anubis armor...). Or not, I'll probably just stick with what I have. But unlocking something every time, and it being TWO somethings is mighty nice. I don't think I'll get tired of Silvers nearly as quick as I did Bronzes.

EYEL1NER

Ppl still play breakout? This an april fools day joke?

kappa
I don't know, I do. I just started playing it for the first time a couple days ago and I like it.
There were a couple very rough matches for me after placement but I felt like I was doing alright against like-skilled opponents. I got paired up with some pretty-good randos at times who were either really skilled or great at callouts and communication.

Also, the SC I joined is kinda close to getting the Achilles armor but needs a lot of Breakout commendations still.
I want to join and play with HaloGAF but you guys already unlocked the armor, so I figured I might as well try to unlock the armor with this SC and then get a spot in HaloGAF later on. At that point you guys will have more than likely unlocked the helm as well though, since you are pretty close as-is, so I'll probably stick with this SC for a while so my commendations can go towards something.

Karl2177

I don't know, I do. I just started playing it for the first time a couple days ago and I like it.
There were a couple very rough matches for me after placement but I felt like I was doing alright against like-skilled opponents. I got paired up with some pretty-good randos at times who were either really skilled or great at callouts and communication.

Also, the SC I joined is kinda close to getting the Achilles armor but needs a lot of Breakout commendations still.
I want to join and play with HaloGAF but you guys already unlocked the armor, so I figured I might as well try to unlock the armor with this SC and then get a spot in HaloGAF later on. At that point you guys will have more than likely unlocked the helm as well though, since you are pretty close as-is, so I'll probably stick with this SC for a while so my commendations can go towards something.

There are no Breakout requirements for the Achilles set.

EYEL1NER

There are no Breakout requirements for the Achilles set.
Fuck me, you are 100% correct. It is KILL commendations and has always been that, but once I got into this Spartan Company and started looking at their commendations, my brain decided that ALL commendations categories (kill, game mode, and assist) needed to be completed to Lvl 3 and then fully completed.
Well damn. I didn't even need to play any Breakout. Though like I said, I do like what I have played from the mode.

EDIT: Well I feel really dumb now.
EDIT 2: I wonder if at some point they will add an armor type in that requires the other commendation categories to be maxed out? Lvl 5 amount of Breakout games would take quite a while...

Madness

Never happening.

Yeah I think Frank has said numerous times its just this standalone level that barely worked for E3 and it would be such a hassle to get working nowadays that it would be easier to probably just recreate that exact sequence in the Halo 5 engine or something.

Top Bottom