• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've got Astro A40's with the MixAmp Pro before that, I don't have a lot to compare it to but it works great for me. I might end up picking up proper headphones in the future, I know audiophiles stress to get straight up headphones instead of a headset for best sound.

How do you do voice chat? Separate mic?

Ain't solo player got anyone to talk to :-(

But if I got into playing with people I know, yeah I'd need a separate mic. You can hook one up into the MixAmp I think. Have to figure out what kind of a mic would work.

Yeah, investing into the AKG K712 is one of the best purchases for gaming I've done in a while. It's so good I'm almost tempted to play with it daytime too.

BraXzy

Ain't solo player got anyone to talk to :-(

But if I got into playing with people I know, yeah I'd need a separate mic. You can hook one up into the MixAmp I think. Have to figure out what kind of a mic would work.

Yeah, investing into the AKG K712 is one of the best purchases for gaming I've done in a while. It's so good I'm almost tempted to play with it daytime too.

These Astro's are a hell of a step up from my old Turtlebeach's :D

And I got an Elite controller at the same time so I had quality overload. I've still not tinkered with the MixAmp too much. There's a bunch of plugs though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has 343 ever said why they refuse to expalin how your MMR is calculated and how matchmaking actually works? Or why they decided that this monthly thing is a smart idea?

Has 343 ever said why they refuse to expalin how your MMR is calculated and how matchmaking actually works? Or why they decided that this monthly thing is a smart idea?

I'd imagine it's in part to discourage griefing by figuring out the ins and outs of the ranking system to take advantage of less skilled players (e.g. de-ranking) and also because we've been getting updates every month to accompany divisions. While that doesn't necessarily affect Arena gameplay, it could likewise serve as a preventative measure provided the meta in H5G changes substantially at some point. For example, someone who was a Rank 35 in Halo 2's launch environment would probably be something radically different compared to Halo 2 in the weeks leading up to Halo 3 after having gotten a bunch of balance changes made, etc.

So, question: considering Cortana's needed Chief as a physical interface in almost every instance of her working with Forerunner technology, how the heck can she be expected to mess with Builder installations (such as the Halo array)? Working with Warrior-Servant tech (e.g. controlling Soldiers) is a little different because

a. after being in the Domain she probably figured out how to assume control over automata that weren't giant galaxy-spanning death lasers, and
b. I'm sure she had less difficulty running the Guardians considering the Warden was going out and buying her booze even though she's only like 8 or 9 years old

I have to wonder if that's going to be explored / become a plot point in Halo 6, because then it'd have a pretty clear mirror in the UNSC / Covenant and Creators / Created, considering she'd need to coerce humans to fire stuff off for her.

Fuchsdh

So, question: considering Cortana's needed Chief as a physical interface in almost every instance of her working with Forerunner technology, how the heck can she be expected to mess with Builder installations (such as the Halo array)? Working with Warrior-Servant tech (e.g. controlling Soldiers) is a little different because

a. after being in the Domain she probably figured out how to assume control over automata that weren't giant galaxy-spanning death lasers, and
b. I'm sure she had less difficulty running the Guardians considering the Warden was going out and buying her booze even though she's only like 8 or 9 years old

I have to wonder if that's going to be explored / become a plot point in Halo 6, because then it'd have a pretty clear mirror in the UNSC / Covenant and Creators / Created, considering she'd need to coerce humans to fire stuff off for her.

Take it to the lore thread, bro

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'd imagine it's in part to discourage griefing by figuring out the ins and outs of the ranking system to take advantage of less skilled players (e.g. de-ranking) and also because we've been getting updates every month to accompany divisions. While that doesn't necessarily affect Arena gameplay, it could likewise serve as a preventative measure provided the meta in H5G changes substantially at some point. For example, someone who was a Rank 35 in Halo 2's launch environment would probably be something radically different compared to Halo 2 in the weeks leading up to Halo 3 after having gotten a bunch of balance changes made, etc.

The changes bit does make sense, that your rank doesn't stay over time because the game evolves. I guess every system has its pros and cons. Maybe a quarterly thing would suffice.

The changes bit does make sense, that your rank doesn't stay over time because the game evolves. I guess every system has its pros and cons. Maybe a quarterly thing would suffice.

I think 343 just tried going as modular as possible considering just about every facet of the game that's integral to core game modes / gameplay has about a million possible failsafes. We haven't had any major game-breaking bugs last an extremely long time (with the closest possible example being a monthly update that broke invisible blockers that was subsequently patched in a couple weeks), so I'd wager they just happened to really luck out on nailing the core gameplay and sandbox balance without a hitch and the monthly rank resets come across as overly careful as an unintended consequence. That being said, it beats the alternative of having a Halo 2 launch-esque balance environment rife with glitches, button combos, wonky weapons and networking, etc. and having your ranking remain persistent no matter how dramatically the game is patched.

There is no such thing as a good random.

Ehh

I cleaned up with a team of randoms yesterday in Team Arena. One of those rare games where everyone is a seasoned veteran and plays the hell up. Prolly helps that I and the 2nd place scorer had 20 and 17 kills respectively when all was said and done.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think 343 just tried going as modular as possible considering just about every facet of the game that's integral to core game modes / gameplay has about a million possible failsafes. We haven't had any major game-breaking bugs last an extremely long time (with the closest possible example being a monthly update that broke invisible blockers that was subsequently patched in a couple weeks), so I'd wager they just happened to really luck out on nailing the core gameplay and sandbox balance without a hitch and the monthly rank resets come across as overly careful as an unintended consequence. That being said, it beats the alternative of having a Halo 2 launch-esque balance environment rife with glitches, button combos, wonky weapons and networking, etc. and having your ranking remain persistent no matter how dramatically the game is patched.

Interesting, I didn't remember the Halo 2 context, I guess I was more forgiving back then.

Phew, managed to grind back to gold, so most of this month will be going back to Platinum. Happens every month.

Interesting, I didn't remember the Halo 2 context, I guess I was more forgiving back then.

Phew, managed to grind back to gold, so most of this month will be going back to Platinum. Happens every month.

I think there were actually one or two rank resets in Halo 2 that accompanied major patches, but even then they were trying to determine ranking in a game that was more bug than man.

Also, I know Tom French is usually the guy to go to when you have questions about Forge and stuff, but is there a 343 dev on Twitter that can answer general UX questions? Quinn, I guess?

You know what shits me more than quitters or anything else?
Team "mates" who betray you for your weapon.

Just had a guy chase me all over altar trying to kill me for the Spartan laser, then he picked up rockets, finally betrayed me then took my laser/snipe combo.

We end up losing a close one even though I went 25-8

I don't want team damage off, these people just shit me.

Bullshit lottery of the month done, went straight from Plat to Silver 6 :-/

This montly ranking is such an aggravating concept, I wish they just dropped it and allowed people to level up and down at their own pace.
Dang that is rough. I'm never going to get above gold. When I first started playing halo 5 I did ridiculously bad. And apparently the game has fixated on my earlier performance. Im pretty sure my placement games consist predominantly of gold players because of how i started playing halo 5 initially. So even if I win all of my placement games, I only beat mostly gold players. So why even bother with placement games? Just stick me in gold to start with so I'm not wasting games that could be used to actually get somewhere in the rankings. If that makes sense lol. I'm mr. Conspiracy theorist!

Edit:

Just had a guy chase me all over altar trying to kill me for the Spartan laser, then he picked up rockets, finally betrayed me then took my laser/snipe combo.

We end up losing a close one even though I went 25-8

I don't want team damage off, these people just shit me.
I was betrayed in one of my placement games for no other reason than we were getting beat. He just gave up and started shooting me. Frustrating enough to lose badly. Then I have to deal with petty players...

BraXzy

More of those renders: https://imgur.com/a/YE8uq

Damn I wish they looked this crisp in-game. Xbox 1.5 here we come!

j2KXT8H.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Exactly what time does the daily flip occur?

Didn't happen to me but I saw it happen to a teammate in BTB. I was like WTF he just killed him.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ran out of boost cards for warzone. I have 15 for arena but with level ups being slower and me buying silvers, I know those will run out, too. I'm gonna miss having those every game.

This is easily the most soul crushing loss I had to date, 2v4 that came so close. It was tied at the end with three seconds left and my teammate decided to challenge two players when he could have easily just have ran and we would have tied. But I can’t be mad at the guy, at least he stayed. I just sent him a message at the end, saying nice try man. It sucks that we lost, however on the other hand its shows I’m becoming a better player, so I don’t mind, but man I really want that tie or win.

Kalentan

You know, reading that short thread of what Gears 4 can learn from 343i just... saddens me. The way people call Halo 5 garbage as if it's a matter-of-fact just... frustrates me. I don't know, it's not like they need to like the game or anything, but calling it garbage seems to me like it's taking it up and beyond merely disliking the game.

You know, reading that short thread of what Gears 4 can learn from 343i just... saddens me. The way people call Halo 5 garbage as if it's a matter-of-fact just... frustrates me. I don't know, it's not like they need to like the game or anything, but calling it garbage seems to me like it's taking it up and beyond merely disliking the game.

Gaming side Halo thread yo.

It really does seem like the Gaming side is where good Halo threads go to die.

Gaming side Halo threads have always been a shit show since forever, at least I've never seen a good halo discussion thread other than the lore thread and Halo 5 OT. It is the extension of the general mindset of gaf that "Microsoft can't do anything right".

It really does seem like the Gaming side is where good Halo threads go to die.

It started with the MCC debacle. I mean I can understanding the frustration, the multiplayer was pretty close to unplayable for a few months. However, there are always just the same few people that like to shit on 343i every chance they get. Is Halo 4 the weakest in the series? In my view, yes, however, that doesn’t make the game complete shit. And its obvious 343i learned from their mistakes in four because Halo 5 is outstanding. Halo 5 is easily one of the best Halos when it comes to multiplayer, the campaign is debatable on the quality, but overall I think it’s a decent one (Halo 3 or Reach are probably the best campaign wise when it comes to gameplay, not talking about storyline here). However, it just comes down to opinions and at the end of the day, a few people on a gaming website that don’t like certain Halos doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things.

IHaveIce

Banned
Don't read gamingside, it is for lunatics who care for metacritic scores, cry when a ps4 exclusive is under 90% on it and think there are only 2 ways a game could be Amazing or garbage.

Since the moderation on this site is an absolute shitshow for the last years it is no surprise the comments get worse by day.

BTT:
Multiteam with 12 people will be quite the experience, though Firefight will be even better, seems like it will be online only though as a playlist and not for custom games, which I feared

bchamba

Gaming side is ridiculous. I much rather wade through controversial racial topics in off topic than see grown men crying over pixels and frame rates.

I also have to imagine anybody shitting on Halo 5 hasn't really played it. I've had my problems with every halo since CE and still have some minor issues with Spartan charge and maybe sprint, but this is easily the best halo since 2, maybe on par with CE for me.

Top Bottom