• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Akai__

I'd imagine that in the UK things aren't so bad, but in other places MM times apparently get horrendous during off-peak times...

I think it's time 343i let people choose if they want to region-lock themselves, or deal with Latency when playing with others who opt-in to playing out-of-region.

I'm in Germany and I didn't have any issues finding matches between 10am - 3am for the whole last Season.

What they should have done was giving us the server selection like they actually wanted at first, but with the option to play Global, if you really wanted.

Kinda getting into this game again after not having played since around launch.

I see that they added two controller options for deadzones and acceleration. Which one should I alter if my sensitivity (seemingly) randomly shoots up sometimes?

Both but acceleration makes the biggest difference. A lot of people prefer it at 2. You can also try 5, that makes the reticle speed max out very quickly and I find it to be the closest to the old games personally.

Change the inner deadzone to the smallest value that still feels comfortable (and doesn't give you drift). I'd start at 0% and work outward.

So I'm in a Slayer game we go up really early in the beginning, 10-0 or so. So players start to quit. It's eventually at 4v1 and the guy plays the entire match then quits when we get to 49 kills lol. I'm sure he just wanted to waste our time.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I'm in a Slayer game we go up really early in the beginning, 10-0 or so. So players start to quit. It's eventually at 4v1 and the guy plays the entire match then quits when we get to 49 kills lol. I'm sure he just wanted to waste our time.

People give up really easily, I've seen people leave at 6-0, it's pretty common too. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even a 12-0 can be reversed. When it gets to the 35-12 territory sure, that means the other team is just way too good. But even then I can't understand quitting - the penalty on your rank is really harsh, so you don't win anything, plus risk banning. The only acceptable time to quit is when you are 0K10Ding your team. Unfortunately those fuckers usually wait until the enemy has 45 kills or so before they quit. Which again doesn't make any sense.

singhr1

Lot of quitters today. I guess it's those new season jitters

Also overheard someone get ranked into Platinum and say what I'd never thought I'd hear, "man, that's too high"

BraXzy

I just have one question . . . HOW?!

aM86nTn.png

Damn, I saw it at 700k the other day and thought that was high. That's an insane number.

Its not tracking the entire playerbase IIRC but the relative amount of players has gone down pretty significantly since January but not since February.

343k tracked in Arena in January, 205k in February, 181k in March.

Slightly worrying...maybe firefight will boost the pop? Since its in the API already it might not be till June...Memories of Reach maybe?

Damn, I saw it at 700k the other day and thought that was high. That's an insane number.

Prob another 300k minimum on MLG.tv

Fuchsdh

Slightly worrying...maybe firefight will boost the pop? Since its in the API already it might not be till June...Memories of Reach maybe?

Prob another 300k minimum on MLG.tv

Look at it this way: at this point Halo 4 was down to less than 50K players daily. The game is doing fine, people.

BraXzy

I'd imagine that in the UK things aren't so bad, but in other places MM times apparently get horrendous during off-peak times...

As a resident UK-ian... Sometimes I get super long queues at peak UK time but perfectly fine in the early hours so I have no idea. It's rare that I can't find a match though unless I search SWAT.

Begin proud dad moments

For a 6.5 year old my kid is showing some Halo talent (even if I say so myself). I've been teaching him to snipe recently and threw him into WZ turbo over the weekend, man he could hold his own, which surprised me. Just before the start of this clip the same enemy sniper had taken him down already, he wanted to exact revenge and made some smart choices during his second sniper engagement. I'm impressed he can snipe at all TBH. So far his highest snipe count is 8 kills in one WZ game.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/e5fd1903-63d7-4263-9e6f-092c8440e4de

Next clip he takes out a tank with his snipe:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/8f6e0f90-18ae-4de5-9a6d-dd5b93df7627

Ok not a snipe moment but might as well have been, the controlled patience for this long range railgun pulled at my Halo dad heartstrings, slow clip but impressed me:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/71ea058a-ddcb-4d41-a4c0-bd0771a70e19

/proud dad moments

Begin proud dad moments

For a 6.5 year old my kid is showing some Halo talent (even if I say so myself). I've been teaching him to snipe recently and threw him into WZ turbo over the weekend, man he could hold his own, which surprised me. Just before the start of this clip the same enemy sniper had taken him down already, he wanted to exact revenge and made some smart choices during his second sniper engagement. I'm impressed he can snipe at all TBH. So far his highest snipe count is 8 kills in one WZ game.

Ok not a snipe moment but might as well have been, the controlled patience for this long range railgun pulled at my Halo dad heartstrings, slow clip but impressed me:

/proud dad moments

Kid is already more useful than half the randoms in most Warzone games.

Begin proud dad moments

/proud dad moments

i could take him, 1v1 m8

Kid is already more useful than half the randoms in most Warzone games.

True and sort of saddening at the same time.

i could take him, 1v1 m8

LOL. Few weeks ago a mate sent me a message during a work day via XBL saying "Get REQk fool", little did he know he was trash texting my son who was playing while I was working.

Also I'm going to attempt my first mini-tage edit, just some interesting plays during WZ turbo this weekend. Have to breakout the capture card as it's just far too much work/slow in upload studio. Anyone doing a WZ turbo-tage? Would be a good idea as some amazing moments were happening all over.

Begin proud dad moments

/proud dad moments

Wow he's already better than most trolls in gaming side threads

Begin proud dad moments

/proud dad moments
Kid is better than me at sniping.

I must've picked up some kids standard sniper rifle in warzone turbo, 3 bullets left, he chased me so I started looking for a gun on the ground to give it back... Then he started to abuse me and charging me and shit, so a looked to the sky and emptied the thing.

The rage was brilliant!
Over a common sniper with low ammo :D

mo60

Look at it this way: at this point Halo 4 was down to less than 50K players daily. The game is doing fine, people.

Halo 5 must peak around their especially on the weekend. I won't be surprised if it's actually peaking higher than halo 4 right now or soon will be peaking higher than it.

I must've picked up some kids standard sniper rifle in warzone turbo, 3 bullets left, he chased me so I started looking for a gun on the ground to give it back... Then he started to abuse me and charging me and shit, so a looked to the sky and emptied the thing.

The rage was brilliant!
Over a common sniper with low ammo :D

Love it. This weekend I heard at least two dads with babies crying in the background and each of them yelling for the misses to help out so they can finish their games. I remember being that guy on occasion. Also heard a kid's mum yell then switch off the xbox. You can certainly tell when a Halo playlist is getting population back, good times.

Kalentan

First match of the season and I get placed against 2 golds, a diamond, and a plat. My team was 3 unranked and 1 gold... Not a good match to start on. :(

Sordid

I have the worst lag today. It's not my connection, since every other game works fine. What is happening with these servers again?

Also, they removed region locking? Why would you ever do that...

I noticed the connections seemed back to the same old a few days ago. Hope it isn't permanent or they at least give us the choice, I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means a better connection.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 5 must peak around their especially on the weekend. I won't be surprised if it's actually peaking higher than halo 4 right now or soon will be peaking higher than it.
it is higher.

Completely off topic and shameful self promotion, but I made a quick vlog introducing myself and some info on my future plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTrPgwvtTTk

I've seen some of you guys in my channel and I appreciate it! After I get partnered I'll be making alot more videos.

/shameless plug
Nice you doing good pal.

mo60

it is higher.

Nice you doing good pal.

Yeah. You are right because I have seen it sitting in tenth or lower a lot whenever I'm on most of the time (around 7th or 8th place max depending on the day) in the last month or so in the xbox one most played game list.

Shit, my wife would turn into warden eternal if I tried that!

Yeah no matter how many brownie points you earnt prior to sitting down and playing Halo when your bubs cries out = your misses standing there smirking knowing both of you know you're getting your arse up.

Still great to hear those inner man tears :)

Trup1aya

Its not tracking the entire playerbase IIRC but the relative amount of players has gone down pretty significantly since January but not since February.

343k tracked in Arena in January, 205k in February, 181k in March.

I don't think halo 4 ever provided daily total population numbers. If I'm not mistaken it was daily peak population. The stat they chose created confusion in the community because it was different from the "unique users per 24hr" stat Bungie used.

I wouldn't stress about Halo 5s current population if you are gleaning it from the Slayer distribution numbers. its a slow process pulling the data from the dev API. For this reason previously, he would wait for 2 weeks after the end of a season before publishing the graphs... Given how quickly he pushed this out, He simply may not have pulled as much data this time around.

What this franchise could use, though, is a free weekend or a trial version. What sold me on destiny was that in the trial version. I could play the game for free up to level 8. 343i definately should employ a similar strategy at this point. Gotta let people try it out, especially now that the MP package is much better than at launch.

Just got an Elite controller last week, any tips and tricks from the people using one? I'm using the Halo Multiplayer setting in the software app. For the world of me I don't understand the settings for the sticks with the deadzones, acceleration etc. Could someone enlighten me?
Also, I find it very hard to use the paddles, just can't get used to them....

Just got an Elite controller last week, any tips and tricks from the people using one? I'm using the Halo Multiplayer setting in the software app. For the world of me I don't understand the settings for the sticks with the deadzones, acceleration etc. Could someone enlighten me?

Set both deadzones to 0, you shouldn't have any issue on that with an Elite, use one or two small paddles, I personally set thruster to one of the paddles so I don't have to move my finger.

For sure, start with 2 paddles... It'll still feel strange but it will click.

I didn't tinker with the stick curves and shit, but I reduced my dead zones in the halo controller options.

Chittagong

Gold Member

One paddle for thrusters = best thing ever, makes you twice as quick
One paddle for grenade swap = always have the right grenade at hand

those are what I use, and it really ups my game.

So warzone turbo was fun.

I really think 343 needs a new req pack, for both pay and points, especially for warzone firefight, that just contains reqs.

No chance at unlocking anything, but high chance of legendary one time use reqs, and a lot of one time use uncommon-rare.

Does anyone know what the design on the full moon pistol skin is supposed to be? It doesn't look like a moon, but it also doesn't look like someone bending over either. I'm trying to make sense of this obviously important question.
bc5tqlI.jpg

Someday this week. After April 5.
And I was making such good progress on my silver packs :(

RIP being done with commons

I was thinking about using one for crouch and one for grenade swap. But I found myself crouching a lot by mistake lol.

Akai__

I noticed the connections seemed back to the same old a few days ago. Hope it isn't permanent or they at least give us the choice, I don't mind waiting a bit longer if it means a better connection.

Watched Ninjas Stream last night, prior to the scims and he also had pretty bad lag. Guess it's a side effect of region lock removal.

Does anyone know what the design on the full moon pistol skin is supposed to be? It doesn't look like a moon, but it also doesn't look like someone bending over either. I'm trying to make sense of this obviously important question.

A wolf yelling at the moon.

I would kill for a controller with paddles, but I just can't afford to spend the money on one right now. Having to take my thumb off the right stick to use thrusters is a major handicap. I would probably use two paddles, one for thrusters and one for sprint. That's rolling with bumper jumper which right now i just don't feel like taking the time to change or get used to a new config.

EDIT:
A wolf yelling at the moon.
how have i never seen this before! thanks. I might need to go back to the wolf howling at the moon emblem and switch to this pistol skin. goes with my gamertag so well :p

Haven't played much of halo 5 recently this past week with a bunch of the games that came out but gotta say I tried playing warzone turbo and found myself pretty bored. probably has to do with the fact I am very stingy with the few reqs I have and mostly stick to loadout weapons. but overall not a big warzone fan, maybe if one day I could play with a full team of 12 and might play it when the new map comes out. But until then I'm just going to stockpile everything I have until another day. Haven't played halo since ranks reset and haven't done any of my placement matches so can't wait what I will do this month cause last was kinda my best average due to getting diamond in everything so was consistent and not getting onyx in 2 of the playlist. just will not end with anything below diamond.

Haven't played much of halo 5 recently this past week with a bunch of the games that came out but gotta say I tried playing warzone turbo and found myself pretty bored. probably has to do with the fact I am very stingy with the few reqs I have and mostly stick to loadout weapons. but overall not a big warzone fan, maybe if one day I could play with a full team of 12 and might play it when the new map comes out. But until then I'm just going to stockpile everything I have until another day. Haven't played halo since ranks reset and haven't done any of my placement matches so can't wait what I will do this month cause last was kinda my best average due to getting diamond in everything so was consistent and not getting onyx in 2 of the playlist. just will not end with anything below diamond.

Yeah i was thinking about that, people who dont have good cards probably wont enjoy it. I had decent cards and i have good DMRs so with that, you really cant go wrong.

Yeah i was thinking about that, people who dont have good cards probably wont enjoy it. I had decent cards and i have good DMRs so with that, you really cant go wrong.
I was too busy trying to grind req points in warzone assault over the weekend to try the turbo variant, but i think a lot of people were mainly using loading weapons to steal power weapons from other players. honestly though, a player with a dmr can do a lot of damage without ever needing to use any reqs.

Top Bottom