• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

BraXzy

When you see one of the frequent Halo shitters in that place you know it will end up like that.

I just find it funny that there are identifiable Halo shitters xD

Cr4ogpU.png

this speaks to me

I... I don't know what to say. But I like it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gaming side is ridiculous. I much rather wade through controversial racial topics in off topic than see grown men crying over pixels and frame rates.

I also have to imagine anybody shitting on Halo 5 hasn't really played it. I've had my problems with every halo since CE and still have some minor issues with Spartan charge and maybe sprint, but this is easily the best halo since 2, maybe on par with CE for me.

That tread was something.....

Strider

Have any of you ever had a game that started 3v4 not by disconnect but just because MM literally didn't put 8 players in the lobby? That just happened to me... super odd.

Gaming side is ridiculous. I much rather wade through controversial racial topics in off topic than see grown men crying over pixels and frame rates.

I also have to imagine anybody shitting on Halo 5 hasn't really played it. I've had my problems with every halo since CE and still have some minor issues with Spartan charge and maybe sprint, but this is easily the best halo since 2, maybe on par with CE for me.

i mean

So many halo threads in gaming, all somewhat bashing it.

This is weird and crazy to me. Maybe because of the recent streaming boost from certain folks others are now giving it a shot?

Idk but i think there were like 4 to 5 threads that mentioned halo in the last few days...

This is weird and crazy to me. Maybe because of the recent streaming boost from certain folks others are now giving it a shot?

Idk but i think there were like 4 to 5 threads that mentioned halo in the last few days...

100% sure all those bashing it never played it or just the same old people saying same old tired things
or are just scrubs who can't aim without Destiny hacks doing it for them

It's not you imagining. There a few that appeared in the last few days. Another one popped.
I mean, I get the campaign criticism. But when it comes to MP, people are just bashing on 343 because they need to.

100% sure all those bashing it never played it or just the same old people saying same old tired things
or are just scrubs who can't aim without Destiny hacks doing it for them

Scrubs

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
"If the game doesn't make it easy for me to dominate then it is trash."
- 90% of the gaming population.

BradC00

Have any of you ever had a game that started 3v4 not by disconnect but just because MM literally didn't put 8 players in the lobby? That just happened to me... super odd.

I had that during my promos last night/this morning. I was ready to throw a report on a dude and there was only 7 players in the post game.

It a mostly a thing I notice on gaf because most people here tend to be older and not good at video games in general.

You see the sentiment of wanting to play casually because of job/family/kids or whatever and I get that.

That's why CoD is so popular. It's an easy to pick up and play shooter. People like to feel good about themselves and the minute they start to get beat, they instantly just go. "Man this game is trash" and quit out of the lobby. They don't want to learn and improve they just want everything given to them. It's one of the reasons why Halo struggles because there is a skill gap and most people don't want to learn. They get outplayed and never come back and just call the game bad instead of actually trying to get better at it.

This post might sound elitist, but I really don't care.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Sure, but it doesn't mean that it's wrong. Halo 5 especially has widened the skill gap so that good players are far better than novices.
It would be comparable to CS, or DOTA, or LoL, or EVE, etc. Steep learning curves that require dedication to overcome.

God Arena is just so awful solo. The number of people who don't play the objective or play cooperatively to clean up kills is staggering. Just played a flag match where one guy got 40 kills but we still lost because he was just slaying without any purpose or direction. He never supported the flag carrier (neither did the other two players) and we were stopped at the goal line 3 times throughout the match. It's just so incredibly frustrating to get stuck in matches like this, especially when the other team is working together. So many people are just so damn thoughtless when they play this game.

It sucks too because flag and strongholds are probably the best modes in the game.

Cranster

Banned
That's why CoD is so popular. It's an easy to pick up and play shooter. People like to feel good about themselves and the minute they start to get beat, they instantly just go. "Man this game is trash" and quit out of the lobby. They don't want to learn and improve they just want everything given to them. It's one of the reasons why Halo struggles because there is a skill gap and most people don't want to learn. They get outplayed and never come back and just call the game bad instead of actually trying to get better at it.

I fully agree, but I think the other factor is that the quality of developer made maps dropped drasticly starting with Halo: Reach as Bungie and 343i began relying more heavily on community forge maps which are not visually appealing. I also think Bungie and even now 343i are being too conservative with matchmaking playlists. Why can't we play Snipers,Fiesta or Assault all the time? Why do we have to play Objectives in BTB when we jsut want to play BTB slayer?

The Master Chief Collection suffered imo after alot of issues were ironed out because they had 100 maps yet decided to add needless restrictions with maps and gametypes in Matchmaking. Let alone the biggest culprit for Halo's decline in popularity was starting with Reach and Halo 4 Bungie and 343i started copying in CoD elements which did not mesh well with Halo's gameplay balance, so they left to play the games that pulled it off better which was Call of Duty, then MCC happened and burned alot of fans.

Even with Halo 5 being a huge improvement too alot of people it still isn't Halo enough with the new Spartan Abilities and the inclusion of ADS which is an element ripped from CoD in their eyes. Heck, even though it was stated by Bravo that ADS would not have any advantages in Halo 5 it is still quite obviously not the case with some weapons.

I fully agree, but I think the other factor is that the quality of developer made maps dropped drasticly starting with Halo: Reach as Bungie and 343i began relying more heavily on community forge maps which are not visually appealing. I also think Bungie and even now 343i are being too conservative with matchmaking playlists. Why can't we play Snipers,Fiesta or Assault all the time? Why do we have to play Objectives in BTB when we jsut want to play BTB slayer?

The Master Chief Collection suffered imo after alot of issues were ironed out because they had 100 maps yet decided to add needless restrictions with maps and gametypes in Matchmaking. Let alone the biggest culprit for Halo's decline in popularity was starting with Reach and Halo 4 Bungie and 343i started copying in CoD elements which did not mesh well with Halo's gameplay balance, so they left to play the games that pulled it off better which was Call of Duty, then MCC happened and burned alot of fans.

Even with Halo 5 being a huge improvement too alot of people it still isn't Halo enough with the new Spartan Abilities and the inclusion of ADS which is an element ripped from CoD in their eyes. Heck, even though it was stated by Bravo that ADS would not have any advantages in Halo 5 it is still quite obviously not the case with some weapons.

I don’t think the develop maps were the issues, Halo 5 maps aren’t bad, they are much better than what came with Reach or Halo 4. In my view, it was the lack of modes. This ties back into the casual and skill gap I was talking about before. Lesser and more casual players could still have fun with things such as BTB, Juggernaut, Grifball, Infection, Headhunter, and etc. You get my point. Halo 5 at launch was focused at the super competitive and that’s what did them in. You need to appeal to both your casual and competitive player base. It’s one reason why Reach was so successful, it had something for everyone. You could do PvE content with Firefights, daily/weeklies, and campaign scoring. Or you could to PvP in a number of different modes; Invasion, Elite Slayer (lmao), Headhunter, and etc. In my view, it was the lack of content and diversity, this is why Halo 5 didn’t catch on like past iterations. I mean we are slowly getting it now and it shows. However, it just makes me wonder how the game would have turned out if it was all available at launch.

Cranster

Banned
I don’t think the develop maps were the issues, Halo 5 maps aren’t bad, they are much better than what came with Reach or Halo 4. In my view, it was the lack of modes. This ties back into the casual and skill gap I was talking about before. Lesser and more casual players could still have fun with things such as BTB, Juggernaut, Grifball, Infection, Headhunter, and etc. You get my point. Halo 5 at launch was focused at the super competitive and that’s what did them in. You need to appeal to both your casual and competitive player base. It’s one reason why Reach was so successful, it had something for everyone. You could do PvE content with Firefights, daily/weeklies, and campaign scoring. Or you could to PvP in a number of different modes; Invasion, Elite Slayer (lmao), Headhunter, and etc. In my view, it was the lack of content and diversity, this is why Halo 5 didn’t catch on like past iterations. I mean we are slowly getting it now and it shows. However, it just makes me wonder how the game would have turned out if it was all available at launch.
Yeah that's true, but no doubt Halo 4's lack of longevity and the hot mess that MCC was played a factor in Halo 5's reception. I just hope 343i does more to appeal to all groups of Halo fans at launch with Halo 6.

bchamba

I feel like I've been placed too high in slayer and arena and the system won't let me settle down to where I should be. This whole week I've been consistently getting pooped on or had really close games. There's no balance to this where I do the pooping.

Loomba

I feel like I've been placed too high in slayer and arena and the system won't let me settle down to where I should be. This whole week I've been consistently getting pooped on or had really close games. There's no balance to this where I do the pooping.

If you keep playing (and losing) your personal skill score will go down, even though you can't go below rank 1 of the tier you were placed in.

This means that after time you will face lower ranked players.

Also yay I can post in HaloGAF again, I was on holiday so couldn't post!

singhr1

Damn now I'm pretty proud to have reached Plat 2 in March

Tiny player base tho, probably way more hardcore than at launch :-/

Its not tracking the entire playerbase IIRC but the relative amount of players has gone down pretty significantly since January but not since February.

343k tracked in Arena in January, 205k in February, 181k in March.

Madness

New ranking system doing work. Look at the changed distribution curves.
Feb. Season

March Season

No ability to derank levels skews it too much. Look at the difference between level 6 and level 1 of the next level when essentially they are the same skill.

Miker

No ability to derank levels skews it too much. Look at the difference between level 6 and level 1 of the next level when essentially they are the same skill.

You can't derank? Why? That seems like a terrible idea and defeats the purpose of leagues.

mo60

New ranking system doing work. Look at the changed distribution curves.
Feb. Season

March Season

I can't believe was so close to actually reaching gold rank last season in team slayer. It would kinda cool to be ranked were the majority of the people are in that playlist,

Madness

Major tournament.
Also skins.

Coupled with global audience of PC. Halo 5 is pretty much USA/Can/UK with Xbox One only.

Team Liquid choked hard against Luminosity for this tournament. I dont like watching much CSGO but i watched those matches.

Gave team slayer a whirl going against my own lesson learned.

I went 0-5 first few minutes in the game. I was getting my arse handed to me. Then allll sudden the inner g0su unleased inside me and i ended up with a instant killing spree. Then the other team quit cause of how foolish we made them feel.

Felt like a rocky balboa moment. O kills, 5 deaths, behind and losing and then just dominating so bad within a few moments the other team quits. Think it was like 40 something to 20 when the game ended.

or maybe i got carried lololololololololllol

Right braxzy and sir dany!?

Heck, even though it was stated by Bravo that ADS would not have any advantages in Halo 5 it is still quite obviously not the case with some weapons.

1. Speak for yourself. For every 'we want' post there's xN other silent 'no thanks' out there.

2. Really? I cannot say I've ever noticed any kind of ADS-benefit ever getting the better of me. Ever.

EYEL1NER

I was at a MtG pre-release event for the last couple hours and all I could think about while laying down cards was getting home to play more Halo 5. I mean, I enjoyed myself and did better than the last Magic event I went to, but I got home really late last night from a day-long trip and didn't get to play but only two matches of Halo last night.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man, my heart sank when I realised I have been matched onto an US server again :,-(

I guess 343 caved in for the handful of vocal people complaining that they'd rather have laggy games than no games. I'm the opposite, being a quarter a second behind is just too much for my skills.

To make lemonade out of the lemons, getting matched on US servers is the perfect time to use those Gambit Assists, I'm always top in Assists, 10+ per match lol

Akai__

I have the worst lag today. It's not my connection, since every other game works fine. What is happening with these servers again?

Also, they removed region locking? Why would you ever do that...

Trup1aya

I have the worst lag today. It's not my connection, since every other game works fine. What is happening with these servers again?

Also, they removed region locking? Why would you ever do that...

People in Europe complaining about it.

They need to just let people opt-in to out-of-region matchmaking.

NIN90

Kinda getting into this game again after not having played since around launch.

I see that they added two controller options for deadzones and acceleration. Which one should I alter if my sensitivity (seemingly) randomly shoots up sometimes?

Trup1aya

I don't get my fellow Europeans...

I'd imagine that in the UK things aren't so bad, but in other places MM times apparently get horrendous during off-peak times...

I think it's time 343i let people choose if they want to region-lock themselves, or deal with Latency when playing with others who opt-in to playing out-of-region.

Top Bottom