• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Fuchsdh

I was too busy trying to grind req points in warzone assault over the weekend to try the turbo variant, but i think a lot of people were mainly using loading weapons to steal power weapons from other players. honestly though, a player with a dmr can do a lot of damage without ever needing to use any reqs.

I on balance prefer a Classic BR w/ bayonet as my ultimate weapon combined with an SMG, but yeah. Stole tanks, fuel rods, and a Ghost or two and dished out way more damage, especially since if it's not your REQ you feel like you can "afford" to make riskier big plays.

I on balance prefer a Classic BR w/ bayonet as my ultimate weapon combined with an SMG, but yeah. Stole tanks, fuel rods, and a Ghost or two and dished out way more damage, especially since if it's not your REQ you feel like you can "afford" to make riskier big plays.
I love tagging people from mid to long range. I've been racking up the long shot medals in warzone. The dmr basically feels like the pistol, but has a longer clip and is equally deadly at close range as it is at long range. Or at least for a weapon that is intended to be a mid to long range weapon, doesn't feel handicapped at close range at all.

Fuchsdh

I love tagging people from mid to long range. I've been racking up the long shot medals in warzone. The dmr basically feels like the pistol, but has a longer clip and is equally deadly at close range as it is at long range. Or at least for a weapon that is intended to be a mid to long range weapon, doesn't feel handicapped at close range at all.

As someone who loved H4 SWAT mostly because the DMR felt like a beast, the H5 DMR is definitely harder to use at close range. I think the difference is in Warzone unlike Arena the advantages far outweigh the downsides in most engagements, and with loadouts you always have a CQC weapon on you if you need it.

Vico

Ok, the Warden is already the hardest enemy commendation to get, and now the game chooses not to count the last one I got. Brr, I'll never see the end of it.

Did some more placement games yesterday in slayer. Got overgrowth multiple times... had multiple quitters. it's a lose-lose situation playing solo...
i know that i'm beating a dead horse

As someone who loved H4 SWAT mostly because the DMR felt like a beast, the H5 DMR is definitely harder to use at close range. I think the difference is in Warzone unlike Arena the advantages far outweigh the downsides in most engagements, and with loadouts you always have a CQC weapon on you if you need it.
There are definitely a lot more benefits to sticking with a cqc weapon in arena sized maps, but the dmr feels really comfortable to me in almost any situation. I love picking it up on maps like coliseum, empire/eden, and torque. Heck i'd use it on truth if it were available. It's my blammo weapon lol.

BraXzy

Begin proud dad moments

For a 6.5 year old my kid is showing some Halo talent (even if I say so myself). I've been teaching him to snipe recently and threw him into WZ turbo over the weekend, man he could hold his own, which surprised me...

/proud dad moments

Awesome to see, FeelsGoodMan. Give him a high five from us :D

Trup1aya

Yeah i was thinking about that, people who dont have good cards probably wont enjoy it. I had decent cards and i have good DMRs so with that, you really cant go wrong.

I don't have cards because I'm trying to grind my way out of silvers. Had more fun in Turbo than I ever had in regular Warzone.

With a DMR, and armor mods from the start, I found myself stealing people's shit all the time. It's pretty ironic, but I got to use more req items than ever, though I never had any of my own.

Fuchsdh

I'm Plat and I'm happy there, haha. I know I'm really not any better than that. "Slightly better-than-average player" should be my slogan.

I got placed in gold 4 in team arena. Haven't finished slayer placement because i got so frustrated with quitters and getting donged on. The most frustrating thing from my experience is that I've gotten placed in gold the past 3 seasons regardless of how good or bad I did. I'll win nearly all my placement games and play lights out - gold. I'll lose more than half my placement games and play really badly - gold. That doesn't add up. It's kind of demotivating to even play the placement games knowing the outcome won't change. And if the rank is based more on some mmr number, why even have the placement games? It should just take your mmr from the previous season, compare it to everyone else in the population, and redistribute your placement accordingly for the new season. Done.

MaGlock

Anybody else watch RNG vs EG scrim last night? Commonly learned some strategy from EG man. He was player coach last night. Constantly keeping ninja in check limiting his aggressiveness 8-5 well 9-5 since they played truth ctf twice both rng wins

Yeah i was thinking about that, people who dont have good cards probably wont enjoy it. I had decent cards and i have good DMRs so with that, you really cant go wrong.

Even when I have good dmrs I still go for br and smg conbo. Never liked the dmr even though it's balanced in this game and is pretty decent overall. But in warzone I never feel like going all out with the cards I have, kept around 5 of everything I had for a while but now just keeping them and even now don't ever feel like using them. In warzone I have the mentality of if I'm winning then don't feel the need to use high reqs and when I'm loosing feel like it will be for nothing. Not that I give up but one person going all out seems pretty useless.

Just at most I will use stuff around req level 5 or 6 until I feel it's the game to use something strong. Warzone just doesn't go well for people like me save things until they are absolutely necessary. Still enjoy me some warzone assault even though most matches are ruined by the inside base glitch.

Fuchsdh

Even when I have good dmrs I still go for br and smg conbo. Never liked the dmr even though it's balanced in this game and is pretty decent overall. But in warzone I never feel like going all out with the cards I have, kept around 5 of everything I had for a while but now just keeping them and even now don't ever feel like using them. In warzone I have the mentality of if I'm winning then don't feel the need to use high reqs and when I'm loosing feel like it will be for nothing. Not that I give up but one person going all out seems pretty useless.

Just at most I will use stuff around req level 5 or 6 until I feel it's the game to use something strong. Warzone just doesn't go well for people like me save things until they are absolutely necessary. Still enjoy me some warzone assault even though most matches are ruined by the inside base glitch.

Yeah this is often where I end up as well. I probably call in the most REQs in Assault just because a shotgun or The Answer locks down an armory pretty well and I'm not concerned about getting splattered or sniped right after spawning with my expensive REQ.

I think it's to the credit of the game balance that I can play a game with just load out BRs and SMGs and I don't really feel that disadvantaged or pressured.

NOKYARD

Begin proud dad moments

For a 6.5 year old my kid is showing some Halo talent (even if I say so myself). I've been teaching him to snipe recently and threw him into WZ turbo over the weekend, man he could hold his own, which surprised me. Just before the start of this clip the same enemy sniper had taken him down already, he wanted to exact revenge and made some smart choices during his second sniper engagement. I'm impressed he can snipe at all TBH. So far his highest snipe count is 8 kills in one WZ game.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/e5fd1903-63d7-4263-9e6f-092c8440e4de

Next clip he takes out a tank with his snipe:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/8f6e0f90-18ae-4de5-9a6d-dd5b93df7627

Ok not a snipe moment but might as well have been, the controlled patience for this long range railgun pulled at my Halo dad heartstrings, slow clip but impressed me:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/71ea058a-ddcb-4d41-a4c0-bd0771a70e19

/proud dad moments
My kid can out-snipe your kid.
He's 24

IHaveIce

Banned
Anybody else watch RNG vs EG scrim last night? Commonly learned some strategy from EG man. He was player coach last night. Constantly keeping ninja in check limiting his aggressiveness 8-5 well 9-5 since they played truth ctf twice both rng wins

I watched it and posted earlier about it, if this new RNG roster stays and trains they will be huge. Commonly as a team leader is the smart choíce, and Penguin was a fucking monster at worlds

Yep, I was watching Towey's analysis. Feel like he's always saying "this isn't a good gametype for us". They gotta get it together or teams like RNG will stomp them in pro league

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
NOKYARD rn

SKRB19W.jpg

singhr1

^LOL

Can someone fill me in on the new RNG roster?

Couldn't keep up with all the player movements this past couple of weeks :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why does the game sometimes the spawn you way far away from where you told it to spawn you? Just today it spawned me 150m from home base and 170m from spire when they weren't even under attack. That kind of thing makes me weary of ever choosing power weapons while dead because who knows what kind of vulnerable place it's going to put you or if you'll be able to run to where you intend to use it in time. It's also annoying because I often choose where to spawn based on where I want to attack/what teammates I want to support next and all the extra running can ruin the timing on it, and if you aren't in the base you can't top off your ammo passing a REQ station.

Why does the game sometimes the spawn you way far away from where you told it to spawn you? Just today it spawned me 150m from home base and 170m from spire when they weren't even under attack. That kind of thing makes me weary of ever choosing power weapons while dead because who knows what kind of vulnerable place it's going to put you or if you'll be able to run to where you intend to use it in time. It's also annoying because I often choose where to spawn based on where I want to attack/what teammates I want to support next and all the extra running can ruin the timing on it, and if you aren't in the base you can't top off your ammo passing a REQ station.

Yeah this is annoying when it happens, takes so long to get to a base because it's spawns you away from where you wanted to go that by the time you get there the reason your trying to get there it's over. even when a base is being under attacked it shouldn't spawn you so far away or at least when you try to respawn at a certain base that is being attacked it should be reduced time to respawn at that point but spawn you at a distance.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think the best thing in the game is assassinating someone right after you catch them assassinating a teammate. I always hope somehow someone will then assassinate me then someone will assassinate them just so I can get the funniest game clip ever.

EYEL1NER

Weekend's over and Warzone Turbo is gone. There goes all my DMR head shots I was getting I guess.

EDIT: Just JIP to a game that ended before I could even move. Not by objectives being reached (scores in Grifball) but time ran out. ATTN Halo 5: Don't put me in a match that has less than five seconds left. Thank you.
EDIT 2: And I am assuming that JIP fills in for 'join in progress?'

link1201

New update to the Halo API and a contest for those who make apps/websites.

Back in October of 2015, we launched the public API Beta for Halo 5: Guardians, and since then we’ve been blown away by community-created websites and apps. Places like Halo Tracker, Halo Data Hive, and Halo Carnage are just a few of the destinations that are providing a unique statistical experience to Halo 5 players.

Today we have two big announcements to share, and we have a feeling Halo API coders will be just as excited as we are. First, we’ve just added a raw match events endpoint to the public API service, which will allow developers access to a breakdown of a match like never before.

Here’s just a sampling of the data this end point reveals for each kill from any match:
◾Gamertags of the players
◾Weapon used to kill
◾In-game time
◾Location on the map in coordinates

This update is live right now for all developers to begin coding with. Head to developer.haloapi.com for full documentation.

But that’s not all, because in conjunction with the raw events update, today also marks the start of the Halo API Hackathon contest! We want to see what you can build with this all-new spectrum of data, and we’ll be giving away prizes to the very best sites and apps that take advantage of this new endpoint. Based on originality, polish, and functionality, a panel of judges here at 343 Industries will choose the top three winners. The contest begins now and entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on May 16, 2016 here on the Halo Waypoint forums. To learn how to submit your entry, head here.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-api-hackathon

Hopefully something big. Atleast we get this in a shorter turn-around time right? Amost a 2 week notice maybe? hopefully?!

It wasn't confirmed it would drop in April.
That phase appeared on Xbox news, so I think we should not believe that at 100%.
On the other hand, since this update appears to be small, it might be true that "Memories of Reach" is dropping this month

Top Bottom