• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Woke up two hours too late to try for Champion on reset. Played my SWAT placements since that is one of the faster playlist and I got plat 1 bleh! Oh well, time for TS next.

Madness

What's the prize pool for HWC now? Last I remembered, based on $2 million is that first place is $800k, 2nd is $400k, 3rd and 4th is $200k each, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th each get $60k, and 9th-16th get $20k.

Would be so good for the pros and the scene if the prizes were increased, and that moving forward with the pro league, $30k, $50k, $75k, $100k tournaments become standard. That would draw so many pros to Halo, allow them to make a great career out of it, raise its profile.

Detective

This felt sooo good :p

Y7KFZyu.gif

jfoul

Level 125.

I really need a break from grinding Warzone Assault. I have very few Ultra rare remaining, but now I keep getting emblems.... Zzzzzzzz. 343i should implement a REQ point bonus for playing multiple games in a row, sorta like Gears of War.

• HELMET (163/200)
  • ARMOR (172/200)
  • VISOR (49/56)
  • EMBLEM (166/254)
  • STANCE (14/18)
  • ASSASSINATION (21/22)
  • WEAPON SKIN (47/53)

Question for all the Elite warriors: what is your recommended stick config? For reference my current in game settings are Bumper Jumper, 4 sens, 2 accel, 0% in, 8% out.

tootsi666

What's the prize pool for HWC now? Last I remembered, based on $2 million is that first place is $800k, 2nd is $400k, 3rd and 4th is $200k each, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th each get $60k, and 9th-16th get $20k.

Would be so good for the pros and the scene if the prizes were increased, and that moving forward with the pro league, $30k, $50k, $75k, $100k tournaments become standard. That would draw so many pros to Halo, allow them to make a great career out of it, raise its profile.
I hope the prize pool is split between multiple events in the future. $2M finals is cool, but several 100k events and $1M finals is better IMO.

BradC00

Yeah I know, I had to head just before they started :(

Btw for anyone following that Kristi thing, have you seen this?

https://twitter.com/EDWSnip3down/status/693929992439230464

I think what she is saying is that video games arent xtreme sports. I don't think she is saying that videogames don't require a certain skill set, just that they aren't traditionally xtreme. just like xtreme sports like skateboarding aren't traditionally sports.

i'll never understand why people want others to not be included just because they don't like something.

Diamond two in TS. Pretty happy about that since I ended last season Diamond four.

I have been improving which is nice. Pre-season I started Gold one and got myself up to Diamond one. January season I started Plat four and got to Diamond four, so hopefully this season I can get to Onyx.

Strider

How come you guys are in a rush to play MM right after reset. How much easier is to to get Champion?

Champion is just the top 200 Elo scores so all you have to do is be one of the first 200 people to get 1500.

So basically if you're an onyx tier player just do your placement matches right when it's available and you'll get champion at least for a bit since other people wont have completed their placement matches.

E92 M3

Champion is just the top 200 Elo scores so all you have to do is be one of the first 200 people to get 1500.

So basically if you're an onyx tier player just do your placement matches right when it's available and you'll get champion at least for a bit since other people wont have completed their placement matches.

Oh, that would be really easy. Wouldn't feel 100% clean, though haha. I'll try after work.

Fuchsdh

Assault on Urban is a complete killing field if you're a sniper on defense. The lip to the core zone means enemy snipers have a hard time taking you out. You just sit back and tap out everyone who comes over the ridge before they can react.

On a more general note though, whoever pushed for scope flashes on snipers is a hero. Would have made previous campaigns especially so much less frustrating.

jem0208

GG Ram.

Not my best game ever though. Definitely got carried somewhat, pretty sure about 6 of my deaths were due to nades though. I was a fucking magnet for them...

Cool seeing halo on at the bar.

Also. Weird point.

When youre watching this stuff, and especially when youre like me and you just like playing halo a lot, watching the esports can be awful figuring out which players are which.

But....as a side effect i didnt anticipate, all the colorful new skins were basically player jerseys for me watching a match. Figuring out OH hes got the red assault rifle etc etc.

So yeah. More customization 343. its good.

Trup1aya

Assault on Urban is a complete killing field if you're a sniper on defense. The lip to the core zone means enemy snipers have a hard time taking you out. You just sit back and tap out everyone who comes over the ridge before they can react.

On a more general note though, whoever pushed for scope flashes on snipers is a hero. Would have made previous campaigns especially so much less frustrating.

I think the 343i used audio and visual queues to help balance gameplay has been completely underrated. I touched on it a bit in one of the Halo5 bashing threads. But the game is phenominal in that regard. Some of these are carry over from previous titles, but the complete package is truly special

The lens flash on the sniper
The flashlights on shotty and scattershot
The blue light and hum of the rail gun
The green light and hum of a overcharged plasma pistol
The red light on the hydra if it's targeting
The head shot audio queue
The kill assist audio queue
The shield recharge delay audio que
The Spartan chatter
The glow and trail of frags grenade

All these things come together to relay so much information in such a clean satisfying way, that I can know a lot about what's going on without having chatty teammates. If it wasn't for the BR's bleed over, I think I'd be able to play without any more HUD than the crosshairs and the scoreboard.

Madness

Dislike this the most. Completely ruins snipers because all it does is become a game of thrust and hide when you see a massive flash. Ruins the element of stealth and map awareness. It's part of the severe hand holding in this game. Text and visual announcements of power weapons, the fact the green power weapon indicator goes away when the weapon is picked up and if your team chatter doesn't tell you your team picked it up, it means enemy has it. These things all matter.

Warzone I can understand for the sniper glare with the sheer massive size of the maps, but not for Arena.

TCKaos

I think the 343i used audio and visual queues to help balance gameplay has been completely underrated. I touched on it a bit in one of the Halo5 bashing threads. But the game is phenominal in that regard. Some of these are carry over from previous titles, but the complete package is truly special

The Spartan chatter

All these things come together to relay so much information in such a clean satisfying way, that I can know a lot about what's going on without having chatty teammates. If it wasn't for the BR's bleed over, I think I'd be able to play without any more HUD than the crosshairs and the scoreboard.

Throw the shield popping effects in there. Halo 4 had really bad ones, but Halo 5's are pretty good. Shields need to be more reactive when getting shot, though. But hey, baby steps.

Fuchsdh

The Spartan chatter

Yeah most of the power weapons have some distinguishing factor to give you a chance. The Spartan chatter and stuff I can honestly take or leave, but it doesn't bother me so much I've bothered turning it off. The notification when an enemy has been taken care of is very nice. The constant plinks from hitmarkers and such can get a bit overwhelming when combined with the visual feedback, but I think that's also due to sound choice.

Dislike this the most. Completely ruins snipers because all it does is become a game of thrust and hide when you see a massive flash. Ruins the element of stealth and map awareness. It's part of the severe hand holding in this game. Text and visual announcements of power weapons, the fact the green power weapon indicator goes away when the weapon is picked up and if your team chatter doesn't tell you your team picked it up, it means enemy has it. These things all matter.

Warzone I can understand for the sniper glare with the sheer massive size of the maps, but not for Arena.

Well, I can't really care that much about Snipers; I never play it and it's a niche mode.

I don't see the hand-holding actively interfering with my enjoyment of the game; there's plenty that the chatter or power weapon notifications don't affect, and I think it exposes the otherwise hidden complexities of the game in a way previous ones didn't.

Madness

Formal streaming some Halo. He's still got it. Drops into Team Arena with Fearitself, Assault, 9inch gets Onyx 1745 after his first ten Team Arena matches. If he did decide to return to Halo, his skill coupled with some solid grinding, he could easily be top 5 player again.

Strider

Formal streaming some Halo. He's still got it. Drops into Team Arena with Fearitself, Assault, 9inch gets Onyx 1745 after his first ten Team Arena matches. If he did decide to return to Halo, his skill coupled with some solid grinding, he could easily be top 5 player again.

It would be great if he returned to Halo... But there isn't really a reason for him to... He's grown a good fanbase playing CoD and he's on basically the best team right?

He could turn on any fps game and be amazing right away. His skills are insane.

jem0208

The sniper is so unbelievably easy to use in this game, I really can't see how people struggle.

You could literally hit their lower chest and get a headshot.

Trup1aya

I don't think I'd call it hand holding, I think it's just good balancing. The lens flash only shows when you are looking down the barrel, so chance are, you were already aware of the snipers location. The existence of the flash puts the onus on the sniper to be quick with the shot, which I think somewhat balance out the increase magnetism (which balances out the complexity of the new movement options) .

Yeah most of the power weapons have some distinguishing factor to give you a chance. The Spartan chatter and stuff I can honestly take or leave, but it doesn't bother me so much I've bothered turning it off. The notification when an enemy has been taken care of is very nice. The constant plinks from hitmarkers and such can get a bit overwhelming when combined with the visual feedback, but I think that's also due to sound choice.

Well, I can't really care that much about Snipers; I never play it and it's a niche mode.

I don't see the hand-holding actively interfering with my enjoyment of the game; there's plenty that the chatter or power weapon notifications don't affect, and I think it exposes the otherwise hidden complexities of the game in a way previous ones didn't.

When I hear people complaining about soloQ, I'm like "turn on Spartan chatter" in fact I wish my Spartans talked EVEN MORE.

It really makes going in alone feel less lonely... And ofcourse I make call outs even when no one on my team is talking.

Top Bottom