• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Yeah, when you follow other team-mates or are in close proximity, the spartan call outs are great.

However, when someone is just breathing into their mic, it ruins it all and you get no information.

Madness

It's not hand holding. A good sniper still wrecks.

It's very purpose is to tell you exactly where a player with a sniper is. The sniper still wrecks because it has crazy amounts of magnetism. Pulling off snapshots, headshots has never been easier. If the goal is to balance the devastation of the sniper by making it so you give up your position every time you aim, then why not just make the sniper harder to use?

I'm just saying, the maps are already small, tight corners and corridors, unlimited sprint and Spartan charge, a mode like Snipers is ruined because of it. As soon as I see the glare, it's a thrust and hide. A player who spent time setting up the shot is betrayed with the glare in the peripheral vision. It almost plays like a run and gun mode. Sprint, jump and snapshot. It's the little things.

Madness

It would be great if he returned to Halo... But there isn't really a reason for him to... He's grown a good fanbase playing CoD and he's on basically the best team right?

He could turn on any fps game and be amazing right away. His skills are insane.

Double post, but yeah. No point to him coming back. On the top of the world with OpTic CoD team, making a killing with sponsors and his wins, cod world league.

HCS and Halo have to be viable for pros to come back. Look how many pros and casters have left Halo to CoD. Though with the HWC and Kiki announcing that a pro league will exist and run upto another championship next year, it gives that much more incentive to come to Halo or stick with it. The price breakdown I did a few pages back, the top 4 teams are going to take home at least $200k guaranteed minimum per team, add in some more solid tournaments, a growing viewer base again, it's going to lead to a lot of new up and comers as well. Commonly, Frosty, StelluR, these youngins will have far more earning potential with Halo than ever before.

Yeah, when you follow other team-mates or are in close proximity, the spartan call outs are great.

However, when someone is just breathing into their mic, it ruins it all and you get no information.
My peeve is playing with randoms who have music playing in the background. Sounds awful and I have to immediately mute them.

Trup1aya

It's very purpose is to tell you exactly where a player with a sniper is. The sniper still wrecks because it has crazy amounts of magnetism. Pulling off snapshots, headshots has never been easier. If the goal is to balance the devastation of the sniper by making it so you give up your position every time you aim, then why not just make the sniper harder to use?

I'm just saying, the maps are already small, tight corners and corridors, unlimited sprint and Spartan charge, a mode like Snipers is ruined because of it. As soon as I see the glare, it's a thrust and hide. A player who spent time setting up the shot is betrayed with the glare in the peripheral vision. It almost plays like a run and gun mode. Sprint, jump and snapshot. It's the little things.

The problem with this argument is that, from what I can gather, the lens flare only appears when you and the sniper are looking at each other.

So it's purpose is not to broadcast a snipers location to everyone. It just tells you want weapon your opponent is holding and aiming at you, just like all the lights on other weapons.

E92 M3

Sniper so easy to use that most people suck with it Kappa. I think the whole argument of autoaim and magnetism is moot. X-Games demonstrated how competitive Halo 5 is, and arguing about semantics is just pointless. It's very difficult to play at a high level in Halo and the game seems to be perfectly balanced (or at least as good as it can get) for it.

Tomash

The problem with this argument is that, from what I can gather, the lens flare only appears when you and the sniper are looking at each other.

So it's purpose is not to broadcast a snipers location to everyone. It just tells you want weapon your opponent is holding and aiming at you, just like all the lights on other weapons.

I remember Gears MP designer talking about this. Rule is, stronger weapon -> easier to tell if someone is holding it, aiming it at you etc.
Example, OneShot in Gears of War 3. You have to be both blind and deaf to not be able to tell someone is aiming that thing at you.

Yeah I'm playing like an ass with the Elite lol.

This took me a while to adjust to. But this is what i use with my Elite.

Right Stick - Domed
Left Stick - Tall
Left trigger - Hair trigger
Right Trigger - Default
Left paddle - Top Small
Right paddle - Top Small

Xbox app

Sticks - Default
Triggers - *adjusted them so they register 100 with a smaller pull.
Buttons - Halo 5 multiplayer. Edited left paddles with A(Jump), right paddles with B(Thrust)

Halo 5 settings
Buttons - Default
Sens - 5
accel - 2
Inner - 0
Outer - 2

I hate to say im still trying to adjust them and sometimes i go to 4 with sense and 6 or 8 in the outer deadzone. Even messing with the accel and putting it back to 3 because of the tall right stick makes it a bit diffferent to aim with.

Anyone have some confident options when using the tall stick?

Karl2177

The Sniper glare only bothers me in Sniper v Sniper games. It makes the scope more of a detriment than a bonus. I can't really scope down and scan the battlefield without drawing a huge target on my head.

This was taken yesterday during a Snipers game. The aim assist on the Sniper needs to lowered.

http://i.imgur.com/xPLAA35.gifv

Caja 117

Anyone have some confident options when using the tall stick?

Ugh, I tried tall sticks, I find that the precision is better, but I felt uncomfortable at times.

I started using one paddle for sprint, recently I added a second paddle to change the nades, I find the Dpad to be annoying to use for nade change.

E92 M3

You're risking Arena already? Rip!

I was dropping neg bombs nearly every game yesterday. Gonna do a bit of a cheeky grind on my bro's account till I don't aim like a squid.

Back when I couldn't play Halo 5, I put myself 600 kills in the hole trying to figure out why my aiming sucked so much. Fortunately, my K/D is over 1 now, but it was very difficult getting out of the deficit at first lol.

--

Also:

Onyx and Champions

Based on feedback from the community, we are making some tweaks to the Onyx and Champion CSR. Players noticed that it was possible to place into Champion (at least temporarily) simply by being the first 200 people in Onyx to complete their placement matches in a season. We are doing two things to increase the competitiveness for Champions. First, the new minimum CSR to earn a Champion rank will be 1800 rather than 1500. Additionally, we’ve placed a cap on the highest CSR you can earn after your placement matches at 1700. These changes will make Champions a more elite group and reward players that prove they're amongst the top in the world.

Both of these changes rolled out just today (Monday February 1) with the start of the new season), through service side updates, and do not require the download of a content update.

We’ve also been working on additional improvements for players in regions around the globe, and will have more details and updates to share in the very near future. We’ll be monitoring telemetry and feedback closely, so be sure to leave us your feedback here on Waypoint’s forums and @Halo on Twitter.

See you in matchmaking!

You're risking Arena already? Rip!

I was dropping neg bombs nearly every game yesterday. Gonna do a bit of a cheeky grind on my bro's account till I don't aim like a squid.

Warzone of course, the default stick is already faster than my normal one so takes a long time to adjust, also I'm still learning how to properly place my palms to reduce misclicking the paddles, it'll take a couple days.

Madness

The Sniper glare only bothers me in Sniper v Sniper games. It makes the scope more of a detriment than a bonus. I can't really scope down and scan the battlefield without drawing a huge target on my head.

This was taken yesterday during a Snipers game. The aim assist on the Sniper needs to lowered.

http://i.imgur.com/xPLAA35.gifv

That's what I'm saying. It just ruins what Team Snipers is, especially with the small maps, with tons of corridors. Even if you do kill one person, pretty much anyone glancing in the general direction while you're scanning around, you've basically just highlighted where you are, or sent everyone into hide mode, quick thrust backwards.

Trup1aya

That's what I'm saying. It just ruins what Team Snipers is, especially with the small maps, with tons of corridors. Even if you do kill one person, pretty much anyone glancing in the general direction while you're scanning around, you've basically just highlighted where you are, or sent everyone into hide mode, quick thrust backwards.

Isn't it the bullet tracer that tells people where you are? The lens flare is only visible to someone who is looking directly at you when you are scoping in. He already knows where you are.

Ugh, I tried tall sticks, I find that the precision is better, but I felt uncomfortable at times.

I started using one paddle for sprint, recently I added a second paddle to change the nades, I find the Dpad to be annoying to use for nade change.

Is that the domed one? Sorry, i forgot the exact descriptions of them.

Isn't it the bullet tracer that tells people where you are? The lens flare is only visible to someone who is looking directly at you when you are scoping in. He already knows where you are.

Yeah, the sniper isnt visable with the flare unless he has his sighs on you. Especially on your noggin. I seen the flare go from a low brightness to very high when it was directly aimed at me. I think it is the same with the beam rifles too.

Yeah, or when people keep saying random jibberish for 3 minutes and then the mic picks up anything they do. I know i mute people pretty quickly in arena and wz.
haha yep
Well poop. There go my chances!

Akai__

Additionally, we’ve placed a cap on the highest CSR you can earn after your placement matches at 1700.

This should be set to Diamond. 10 matches are not enough to determine that somebody deserves an Onyx rank, which is the 2nd highest rank.

You can't rank down from Onyx and it has been pretty obvious (in my experience) that most of these 1500 Onyx players have been placed wrong. I can't imagine they have a good time.

Ramirez

You can't rank down from Onyx and it has been pretty obvious (in my experience) that most of these 1500 Onyx players have been placed wrong. I can't imagine they have a good time.

Based on what?

I finished last season with a 53% WP in both Arena & Slayer, and after my 2nd placment match today in Slayer, I was already playing 1700 Onyx players. I think the system works extremely well, TBH.

So i take it as if you reach 1700 with your CSR, you will be in Onyx. Then you will have to conitnue to win in order to place in Champion with an 1800+ CSR?

Akai__

Based on what?

I finished last season with a 53% WP in both Arena & Slayer, and after my 2nd placment match today in Slayer, I was already playing 1700 Onyx players. I think the system works extremely well, TBH.

I'm talking about people that exactly had 1500 points in Onyx last Season. Whenever I played against those, they did pretty terrible. But then again, the matchmaking system was giving us 3 1600 Onyx people in the same match 2 times in a row and we absolutely get stomped.

Your hidden rank is what's giving you Onyx players in your 2nd placement match. Those appareantly don't reset and that's good, because you would always have to start from 0.

OverHeat

« generous god »
OARBumS.jpg

:p

Onyx is 1500.

OOh okay, I read that wrong then.

We are doing two things to increase the competitiveness for Champions. First, the new minimum CSR to earn a Champion rank will be 1800 rather than 1500. Additionally, we’ve placed a cap on the highest CSR you can earn after your placement matches at 1700. These changes will make Champions a more elite group and reward players that prove they're amongst the top in the world.

Im just seeing these changes and i guess people were champion with 1500 before? Whats the min csr for onyx before/now?

However no one can place higher than 1700 with the initial 10 matches??

Trup1aya

This should be set to Diamond. 10 matches are not enough to determine that somebody deserves an Onyx rank, which is the 2nd highest rank.

At this point, it's not just the 10 placement matches that determine your placement. They are still building on all the data from previous seasons.

And even if folks are playing on new accounts, 343i now has plenty of data on how accurate, and how much damage players at different skill levels should be able to deal.

With each season, the placement matches should just get more and more accurate...

E92 M3

When I started my journey on getting better after the patch. I was placed in Gold 1 for FFA and worked my way up to Onyx. Will try to get champ this season.

Though I did run into some Onyx players that are very poor.

Sou Da

So how do I game the Req system guys?

Also redirecting you to the store when you click on a req pack you earned after a match seems kind of exploitative.

Caja 117

Is that the domed one? Sorry, i forgot the exact descriptions of them.

You talking about the Dpad? any of the two parts, I just don't like to take my left thumb off from the movement stick in mid game to use the dpad, it has come to a point where I got used to not change nade types during the game, and just throwing whatever is selected.

Ramirez

I just think it's a bit silly to take one off games where an Onyx player might be playing bad and try to equate that to the system failing. I'll take the current system over people purposefully trying to derank themselves in matches like they did back in H3.

Also redirecting you to the store when you click on a req pack you earned after a match seems kind of exploitative.

There's no way to game it other than paying money.

Annie are you okay?

TCKaos

At one point me and some other guys had mathed out all of the REQ per minute rates of the various playlists and Warzone Assault could be the best or worst. If you do well defending and wipe the attackers first chance (or purposefully lose as the attackers) you get 1200-1300ish REQ, putting you at like 200+ REQ per minute for a six minute round. The problem is that Warzone Assault doesn't scale much higher than that for the longer you play, so if the game is played in earnest you could theoretically end up with an 18 minute long game (assuming that each round lasts exactly 6 minutes) that nets you 1300-1400ish REQ, or 72-78 REQ per minute.

So, your best outcome is to skunk the enemy as the defending team. If you're attacking, you have to be just good enough to destroy the enemy team in 6-7 minutes (as games below this length have a negative REQ modifier, so if you end the game in 4 minutes you get 700 REQ, or 175 REQ per minute) or you have to throw the match, which has a minimal effect on the resulting points rewarded.

Comparatively, a full match of standard Warzone will typically last for 20 minutes and net you 1800 REQ, or 90 REQ per minute. If you end the game as fast as possible, capturing all of the bases and destroying the core, you'll get a minimum of around 1200-1300 REQ in around 4-5 minutes, which is just a skunk-scenario Warzone Assault match that's infinitely more difficult to pull off.

Akai__

I just think it's a bit silly to take one off games where an Onyx player might be playing bad and try to equate that to the system failing. I'll take the current system over people purposefully trying to derank themselves in matches like they did back in H3.

Where did I say that it's failing? lol

I said, it's not ideal to put people into 2nd highest division and that people who do wrongfully probably don't have a good experience.

I hope 343 gets rid of Community Breakout soon. The original Lockout maps were perfect and never got old. The new batch feel pretty amateur and the flow of combat isn't as natural and the maps aren't as balanced or fun.

BraXzy

Also:

Onyx and Champions

Based on feedback from the community, we are making some tweaks to the Onyx and Champion CSR. Players noticed that it was possible to place into Champion (at least temporarily) simply by being the first 200 people in Onyx to complete their placement matches in a season. We are doing two things to increase the competitiveness for Champions. First, the new minimum CSR to earn a Champion rank will be 1800 rather than 1500. Additionally, we’ve placed a cap on the highest CSR you can earn after your placement matches at 1700. These changes will make Champions a more elite group and reward players that prove they're amongst the top in the world.

snip

RIP me ever getting Champion again then. Ahh well, it'll always be on my service record :D

I was slowly improving before but still aiming like a goose. It's crazy how long it takes me to adjust when I've been off that grind for awhile. Gonna do placements later sometime. Diamond or bust b o y z.

Ramirez

Where did I say that it's failing? lol

I said, it's not ideal to put people into 2nd highest division and that people who do wrongfully probably don't have a good experience.

I mean that's the thing though, I don't think anyone lucks their way into Onyx in Slayer/Arena.

If you're saying those people don't belong there, then the system is failing, no need to actually say it, it's implied.

I hope 343 gets rid of Community Breakout soon. The original Lockout maps were perfect and never got old. The new batch feel pretty amateur and the flow of combat isn't as natural and the maps aren't as balanced or fun.

Probably because nobody was building breakout maps because nobody likes breakout and these maps were thrown together in a couple weeks specifically for the playlist.

BraXzy

Im just seeing these changes and i guess people were champion with 1500 before? Whats the min csr for onyx before/now?

However no one can place higher than 1700 with the initial 10 matches??

Yeah, it happened to me because my placements were super early at reset. If you were one of the first 200 people to hit Onyx, by default you were technically Champion since it's always the top 200 Onyx players. So they've changed it now so you have to hit the 1800 threshold which I guess makes sense but it wasn't really a needed change, things would balance out within a day each time.

E92 M3

RIP me ever getting Champion again then. Ahh well, it'll always be on my service record :D

I was slowly improving before but still aiming like a goose. It's crazy how long it takes me to adjust when I've been off that grind for awhile. Gonna do placements later sometime. Diamond or bust b o y z.

Taking a break from Halo for a few days = aim degradation. It's one of the only shooters that has this phenomenon for me.

Ramirez

Yeah, it happened to me because my placements were super early at reset. If you were one of the first 200 people to hit Onyx, by default you were technically Champion since it's always the top 200 Onyx players. So they've changed it now so you have to hit the 1800 threshold which I guess makes sense but it wasn't really a needed change, things would balance out within a day each time.

They did it so that when you inspect someone's profile, you don't see their highest rank as Champion if they're not actually a Champion. Being one of the first 200 at reset is a participation trophy Champion.

Top Bottom