• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

BraXzy

Probably because nobody was building breakout maps because nobody likes breakout and these maps were thrown together in a couple weeks specifically for the playlist.

I was building a Breakout map :'(

343 pls notice me senpai.

Akai__

I mean that's the thing though, I don't think anyone lucks their way into Onyx in Slayer/Arena.

If you're saying those people don't belong there, then the system is failing, no need to actually say it, it's implied.

We had literally people who won 2/10 matches last Season and were put in Onyx. How is that accurate and how is that wrong to ask that this shouldn't happen?

I also didn't say that all people don't belong there, just that some of them don't and that it should take more time to reach that skill level. For example, you do 5 placement matches in SC2 and the highest rank you can achieve by winning all 5 is Diamond. The highest division doesn't even get opened until 2 weeks in.

Yeah, it happened to me because my placements were super early at reset. If you were one of the first 200 people to hit Onyx, by default you were technically Champion since it's always the top 200 Onyx players. So they've changed it now so you have to hit the 1800 threshold which I guess makes sense but it wasn't really a needed change, things would balance out within a day each time.

OOH okay, makes more sense to me.. i never placed in onyx so i never really payed attention much.

Thanks braXzy for understanding lol

Caja 117

We had literally people who won 2/10 matches last Season and were put in Onyx. How is that accurate and how is that wrong to ask that this shouldn't happen?

I also didn't say that all people don't belong there, just that some of them don't and that it should take more time to reach that skill level. For example, you do 5 placement matches in SC2 and the highest rank you can achieve by winning all 5 is Diamond. The highest division doesn't even get opened until 2 weeks in.

Huh? but isn't initial placement based heavily on KD ratio rather than Wins?

Ramirez

Who are these people? I didn't win very many of my placement matches either. The thing is no one here knows what exactly is tracked to place you. I imagine assists,damage done,headshots,perfects, etc. all play some role in it. Basing 10 games all on wins doesn't tell you much of anything as far as where someone belongs.

I don't understand locking Onyx players out and placing them in Diamond, because the difference between Onyx & Diamond is pretty massive in my experience.

Nori Chan

OARBumS.jpg

:p

yet the only ultra rare i have ever pulled was a bayoneted smg :(

E92 M3

Wins are not the only variable. I play a lot of solo and lose matches in slayer. Doesn't my part wasn't done haha.

Trup1aya

That's because the placement matches consider individual performance (accuracy, damage dealt, KDA etc). This is important because the quality of your team is more likely to be sporadic at this time. W/L doesn't have much weight at this time for the same reason.

Couple this with the fact that your current CSR is the culmination of several seasons of play, your placement should be even more accurate this time around.

No sense having true diamond level players get stomped by champions for 2 weeks when the system probably knows by now who should be where.

Haruko

Spawns are so weird on Array. Attacking the enemies core, spawn right here. Happens a lot near the end of the game.

This spawn I actually like, since you can jump off rocks and clamber into the defender's lookout and enter their base through the backdoor. I've destroyed a few Cores using that and an Active Camo REQ

Caja 117

That's because the placement matches consider individual performance (accuracy, damage dealt, KDA etc). This is important because the quality of your team is more likely to be sporadic at this time. W/L doesn't have much weight at this time for the same reason.

Couple this with the fact that your current CSR is the culmination of several seasons of play, your placement should be even more accurate this tune around.

No sense having true diamond level players get stomped by champions for 2 weeks when the system probably knows by now who should be where.

Also it prevents for guys to be carried to a rank, at least trough placements.

Akai__

Just to be clear. I don't really have issues with the ranking system. In fact... Most of my matches were probably ending in the 50-45 (and vice versa) range. I just tried to point out that some stuff can be improved. I could say the same about playing against a full team while solo'ing and suddenly Ram and others would agree.

And again... Nowhere did I say that the ranking system is a failure.

Did someone see this already?

http://i.imgur.com/0VwYBZj.jpg

Lmao

Did someone show him the H2 BR bullet magnetism gif? Sorry, but I'd like to keep the Pistol for 4vs4's. No need to replace it or to turn it into a CE Magnum.

Did someone show him the H2 BR bullet magnetism gif? Sorry, but I'd like to keep the Pistol for 4vs4's. No need to replace it or to turn it into a CE Magnum.

I agree! Quinn followed up his tweet by mentioning that they're looking into a weekend H2 BR playlist though, I'm curious.

Trup1aya

Grammatically confusing to weed out the BR people.

It's funny that Halo's worst pistol came right after Halo's best pistol.

There was a fairly strong sentiment that it was too good (the a likely stronger sentiment that it was perfect) so they swung the pendulum in the complete opposite direction.

What's fun is that the BR is, in terms of utility, the CE magnum in a rifle skin

Ramirez

Just to be clear. I don't really have issues with the ranking system. In fact... Most of my matches were probably ending in the 50-45 (and vice versa) range. I just tried to point out that some stuff can be improved. I could say the same about playing against a full team while solo'ing and suddenly Ram and others would agree.

And again... Nowhere did I say that the ranking system is a failure.

What would I suddenly agree with?

Nutter

Played with a random dude who claimed to love CE, and the bloom in reach complain how fast the TTK was in 5 and how its not a good Halo game due to it. Had to remind him that the 3sk pistol existed in the very first Halo game that he thinks that is now catering to the casuals with the fast TTK. This guy was also complaining every time he died how bullshit things were in a Warzone game.

People do not know what they want/like in Halo. They just do not like dying over and over again and being reminded that they suck at something they think they are good at. News at 11.

Anybody else having lag issues? I've played 2 warzone games and 1 arena game and my shots and nades are at least a solid second off. I almost never lag on Halo so this is pretty weird.

Sou Da

At one point me and some other guys had mathed out all of the REQ per minute rates of the various playlists and Warzone Assault could be the best or worst. If you do well defending and wipe the attackers first chance (or purposefully lose as the attackers) you get 1200-1300ish REQ, putting you at like 200+ REQ per minute for a six minute round. The problem is that Warzone Assault doesn't scale much higher than that for the longer you play, so if the game is played in earnest you could theoretically end up with an 18 minute long game (assuming that each round lasts exactly 6 minutes) that nets you 1300-1400ish REQ, or 72-78 REQ per minute.

So, your best outcome is to skunk the enemy as the defending team. If you're attacking, you have to be just good enough to destroy the enemy team in 6-7 minutes (as games below this length have a negative REQ modifier, so if you end the game in 4 minutes you get 700 REQ, or 175 REQ per minute) or you have to throw the match, which has a minimal effect on the resulting points rewarded.

Comparatively, a full match of standard Warzone will typically last for 20 minutes and net you 1800 REQ, or 90 REQ per minute. If you end the game as fast as possible, capturing all of the bases and destroying the core, you'll get a minimum of around 1200-1300 REQ in around 4-5 minutes, which is just a skunk-scenario Warzone Assault match that's infinitely more difficult to pull off.

I-I just wanted my EVA helm. Or one like it.

EDIT: Goddamn even in 2016 there's still "MUH BR STARTS"?

Trup1aya

Played with a random dude who claimed to love CE, and the bloom in reach complain how fast the TTK was in 5 and how its not a good Halo game due to it. Had to remind him that the 3sk pistol existed in the very first Halo game that he thinks that is now catering to the casuals with the fast TTK. This guy was also complaining every time he died how bullshit things were in a Warzone game.

People do not know what they want/like in Halo. They just do not like dying over and over again and being reminded that they suck at something they think they are good at. News at 11.

The craziest thing is that TTK is on par with all other Halo games... Except CE which was he fastest.

It's funny that Halo's worst pistol came right after Halo's best pistol.
Boo to you! The pistol is a gunslinger's sexcaine. I don't have anything against the BR, but I love starting with a pistol,or at least a pistol that's actually worth using. I'm all for dumping the AR and having a pistol/br start. Perfect combo for greater skill gap in close range situations. Make the AR a map pickup. Sogood.gif

8)

JackHerer

Weapon wise, wouldn't change a thing. A tweak or two, but keep things as they are.

I would like to see the plasma caster buffed, splinter nades a slight nerf or reduced spawns, and maybe have the autos take 1-2 more bullets to kill. No drastic changes.

That guy must have been on something. You can't love the CE pistol and at the same time be upset about kill times in halo 5. And most people who love CE detest bloom lol. What an odd opinion. I complain about dying all the time, but secretly I know it's just because I suck haha.

Boo to you! The pistol is a gunslinger's sexcaine. I don't have anything against the BR, but I love starting with a pistol,or at least a pistol that's actually worth using. I'm all for dumping the AR and having a pistol/br start. Perfect combo for greater skill gap in close range situations. Make the AR a map pickup. Sogood.gif

8)

think you missed my point m8

That guy must have been on something. You can't love the CE pistol and at the same time be upset about kill times in halo 5. And most people who love CE detest bloom lol. What an odd opinion. I complain about dying all the time, but secretly I know it's just because I suck haha.

Yes you can. Halo CE's pistol didn't always kill in 3 shots because it was hard to use. Optimal Kill Time was 3 shots but the average was higher.

I understand that the AR has some gap to fill when performing clean up on popped sheilds, or getting a quick on-the-drop kill. However, i always cringe when someone kills me with it.

I don't mind getting reqd by another user with a pistol as they needed to really aim instead of spray-n-pray.

i played a game and told myself to use the AR more. So many free kills since the magetism is so high on that thing. Even from mid-long distance i got a double kill. was kinda funny but i felt upset using it and not using my 'aiming skeeeelz' lol

oh well, i just need to adjust and use it more often so i can go over my plat 5-6 plateau. lol

sigh

E92 M3

The AR is just 1 tool in the sandbox, being good at Halo 5 entails: Understanding the weapons, map movement, awareness, spartan abilities, and knowing when to disengage. Theoretically, it makes the game harder and we saw in the X-Games how tight the competition can get.

Riptide is such a shit map, it is worse than overgrowth, I've not played one gametype that fits

I like the view outside, but otherwise it is a shit map. It's funny how a classic map like Midship survives for years, but these new maps will be forgotten as soon an awesome remake is introduced.

Top Bottom