• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

As much as I complain, this game is so fun. Kills like this make it worth it.

miVlDaL.gif

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I kind of regret getting Plat 3 after placement.. I did well in my placement matches, but now I do terrible it seems. I'm just not as good at Halo 5 as all the other Halo games. I miss the character of the weapons and the fun of having vehicle combat with warthogs and ghosts in 4v4. Halo 5 is a very good arena shooter, but an okay Halo game to me.

IHaveIce

Banned
I kind of regret getting Plat 3 after placement.. I did well in my placement matches, but now I do terrible it seems. I'm just not as good at Halo 5 as all the other Halo games. I miss the character of the weapons and the fun of having vehicle combat with warthogs and ghosts in 4v4. Halo 5 is a very good arena shooter, but an okay Halo game to me.

Am I misremembering things or what 4v4 map had a Warthog?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Right! Deathtrap though

Right, did it in Slayer? I hated zanzibar for Slayer.

Standoff came up as 4v4 map in Halo 3?
Coag aswell?

So shitty map/gametype combos are a tradition..

I have no idea what Tempest is though

I never said slayer specifically just 4v4. I loved slayer, assault, and CTF games (oddball too though that's not a vehicle thing). I'm just saying there's a lot of sandbox not being used in arena.

IHaveIce

Banned
I never said slayer specifically just 4v4. I loved slayer, assault, and CTF games (oddball too though that's not a vehicle thing). I'm just saying there's a lot of sandbox not being used in arena.
Well yeah since Arena also represents the modes used in the tournaments that makes sense.
Maybe the better complaint is that there is no 4v4 social list, but those things have no place in Arena IMO
Tempest was this Reach map.

Reach DLC maps were actually pretty good in looks and even gameplay(!). All of Noble and Highlands were very good.

That was a 4v4 map?... That was also a huge map

BOLD - This idea works for other games i think due to the addictiveness, and that the game is free. I think in a brainstorm, the outcome is an unhappy customer. Someone who could have been a potential player for X amount of months for X amount of reports to show the higheruprs. I'm thinking what is in priority is the individual customer expeirence.

If they ban people like that, either they will just make a new account and start right up or take the game out and play something else right away. I think the sense of ownership relies on that they paid for a product. so they are selfish and only want to play the game how they want to, MM rules or not. Unfortunetly, not everyone is selfless and are considerate to others, we all know too well. :((

Bravo.gif

People still get banned for excessive quitting though -- it's just that the current system isn't very transparent so it's not always clear how many times you need to quit to get hit with a temporary banhammer or how long the ban will be. For sure keep increasing the severity of punishments for people who keep offending, but having a baseline, short (< 15 minutes in this case) ban for all quitters would only hurt people who quit solely because they're frustrated with the current match/don't like their teammates/other stupid reasons and plan to queue for another match as soon as they're out. People who genuinely need to stop playing for RL reasons won't be affected at all since they can search for another game as soon as they're back.

Fuchsdh

Zanzibar 1 bomb/flag 4v4 was EXTREMELY fun, my friend.

And it's in H2A in MCC as a 4v4 1 bomb game type as well. It's a bit too large for good slayer matches (same thing with Remnant/Relic, which really needs 5v5 or higher) but it's still decent. Anything with attack/defense waves focuses play and works fine with fewer numbers.

im_dany

What is going on with the servers? Me and my friend just got booted from a game, he also got disconnected the previous game. Just in time for my legendary bonus to be useless... great!

People should love to play against me. I'm the type of player who the person shooting me is like I shouldn't be alive but I am. Its ridiculous what people live through when all it takes is one grenade for me to die. Poor finishing I guess.

Akai__

Reach UI is the best I've seen in any videogame ever.

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but I decided to make an UI mega post. You can blame Blue Ninja for that. :p

We will look at H3's, Reach's and H5's UI for that, so here it goes:

Player Details (H3 -> Reach -> Reach -> H5):

As you can see, H3 immediately tells you what the highest rank of the person in question is and it also gives you a breakdown of completed Ranked, Social and Custom Games + how you completed the Campaign. Reach stepped down from that and instead splitted the information into several screens with rather unimportant information, such as the Players Customization and Completion Progress. How many games of each category you completed in Reach, is shown in the Career Tab under Serve Record (not pictured here). H5 did a similiar thing, but it only shows the Player Customization without any sort of Completion Progress. All 3 games come with the same options, which are Service Record, File Share (H5 splits those into Maps and Gametypes already) and Gamercard.

Winner in this category: H3.

Service Record (H3 -> Reach -> H5):

While it looks nice, H3's Service Record has really nothing to offer. Just a bunch of badges, which are pretty unimportant. The Highest Skill and EXP are also duplicated from the previous page. Only "Next Promotion" is new. Both Reach's and H5's Service Records open an other menu, from which you can select multiple categories. They are pretty detailed and you can find stuff pretty easy. However, H5's additional info is more detailed and offers generally more info.

Winner in this category: H5.

File Share (H3 -> Reach -> H5 -> H5):

Not much to say here. H3's File Share looks the best visually. Reach's File Share has the best functionality, though. Combine both of them and you have an awesome File Browser. Don't like that it splits into Map and Gametype list for the H5 one, but since a revamped File Browser is comming, I hope that they have a propper solution.

Winner in this category: Tie between H3 and Reach.

Lobby (H3 -> Reach -> H5):

Haven't taken Screenshots, but H3's pregame Lobby was pretty simple and it was so nice to check everyone's File Share prior to the match. Back then, you could also upload Screenshots and put them in your File Share, which were rendered at something crazy like 4K resolution and then downscaled to 1080p. People who were playing together were also marked with a line behind their Gamertags. With Reach, I didn't check File Shares as much, but they improved stuff like the Party Details in the pregame lobby.

Carnage Report Simple (H3 -> Reach -> H5):

The Simple Carnage Report was something I always liked. Unlike Reach, Halo 3 actually displayed the Top Medals correctly and they were really the medals with top values. I mean... First Shot is a top medal? Yeah, about that. MVP was also nice to know, but since this is a team game, I don't mind it being gone. Halo 5's Simple Carnage Report is just terrible. Can't even make out the score at first glance, which is way more important than a K/D ratio for example.

Carnage Report Detailed (H3 -> Reach -> H5):

Those are all pretty good, so no screens. Each game had all the stuff you need, which is: Kills, Assists, Deaths, Flag Captures, etc. I really like Damage Dealt and Accuracy from H5, though.

Winner in this category: H5.

Player Carnage (H3 -> Reach):

Something I'm really missing in Halo 5. This needs to come back.

Winner in this category: Halo Reach
, because it looks nicer.

Post Game Lobby (H3 -> Reach -> H5):

Party up after a match was always welcome. I can't for the live of me remember if Reach had it. Was it automatic, because I played a match today and I didn't see it. The screenshot says "Stay with your group and get ready for the next match.", though. I'm confused.

Tie between both, if I'm being stupid.

---

TLDR: If you'd take H3's clean visuals and Reach's functionality of the U and combine them with what H5 has to offerI, you'd have the best UI in the history of games.

---

PS: Why would they ever remove this progression screen, after the Beta:

(Screenshot taken from
Maka91Productions YouTube)
m8UgG5d.png

To get around it auto spawning at the garage: choose Home Base as your player spawn, then go over to a REQ station and pick out your vehicle. It will spawn from your Home Base instead.

Thanks for the tip, for some reason I didn't think you could do that with vehicle reqs... I was like "no no noooo!!!" As my mantis was on its way out of the garage, then someone jumped me.

JackHerer

Game is practically unplayable at the moment. 343 shit the bed this week. I'm getting DCed constantly.

Edit: holy shit this game is terrible right now. It likes to wait till the end of a match when I'm about to win. Even if I don't DC I'm guaranteed to be teleporting at least once or twice a match.

Thanks for the tip, for some reason I didn't think you could do that with vehicle reqs... I was like "no no noooo!!!" As my mantis was on its way out of the garage, then someone jumped me.

You haven't seen the video of the guy breaking out a warzone map with a Banshee. Flying it undergroup to the opposing home base. Got into where people spawn with their vehicles. killed anyone who was calling in a req. lol. so bad.

BraXzy

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but I decided to make an UI mega post. You can blame Blue Ninja for that. :p

We will look at H3's, Reach's and H5's UI for that, so here it goes:

Really good post, got me all nostalgic.

I really do hope some major UI updates come soon, specifically the player carnage stuff and just overall tweaks. It makes no sense that they got rid of some of the functionality of old games that were super useful like that.

I really do hope some major UI updates come soon, specifically the player carnage stuff and just overall tweaks. It makes no sense that they got rid of some of the functionality of old games that were super useful like that.

either they had someone with UI expertise that never played halo before make it, or the person who made the UI was also working on other things that time spent on the UI was less than estimated.

Other than that, i look forward to the UI updates.

link1201

Yep. The UI in this game is not where it should be especially considering they didn't have to reinvent the wheel in a lot of aspects.

Madness

I think the older maps are looked at more fondly because they were sort of jack of all trades maps. Utilized a larger part of the vehicle and weapon sandbox as well as 'worked' for a variety of game types. I'll use High Ground because it was talked about a few pages back, it wasn't a great map, but was utilized for everything from one bomb, one flag, lone wolves FFA, 4v4 team Slayer, Team Snipers, Infection etc. It had ghost and mongoose, power ups like rockets, splaser, sniper, overshield, camo. A lot of maps in CE, 2 and 3 were like that. Versatile and used for a variety of things.

Contrast this with Halo 5 where you have singular focused maps, curated and built solely around Slayer, CTF or Strongholds and with the movement options in mind. Even something like SWAT rarely plays well because so many maps have hiding areas or openings that are meant for people to dash under, clamber upto, ground pound. Something like Rig works extremely well for Strongholds, but I don't really like the map as much for Slayer, I doubt CTF would ever work, SWAT I usually only get SWATnums and even then, it's not fun. There is less you can do with a map like that. I think H5 maps are extremely well designed and play well for the modes they have, but I don't know.

Top Bottom