• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Trup1aya

Very easy to close the client and come back lol. 343 should look at rewarding people that play - punishment is obviously ineffective. Maybe they can give req packs weekly to people that don't quit. They're just being super stingy.

In my experience, positive reinforcement is a much better way to encourage/discourage specific behaviors than punishment...

In the case of Halo 5, rewarding players for consecutive games without quiting would probably be much more effective than quit bans. I think p2p games have proven that it's also an effective tool for player retention.

I'm not against there being a ban policy in place. Actions should have consequences. But the issue should be attacked from both sides.

You know what sucks? Not being able to choose where to spawn your nice vehicle reqs from... My corp mantis came out the front of the main garage where the battle was going on, of course I was dead before I knew it.
To get around it auto spawning at the garage: choose Home Base as your player spawn, then go over to a REQ station and pick out your vehicle. It will spawn from your Home Base instead.

Caja 117

Yesterday, was the first time in years since I send a PM to another player, So this guy was on our team on a Plaza Stronghold that we were wining easily, and all of the sudden he start shooting and melee everyone on our team, as you might guess not only it became a 3 v 4, but the guy trolling was making it hard to keep a fight against the other team, I place a report on him for Bad sportsmanship, and I OM him saying just "reported" and the guy just replies "Me too, thank you".

I don't mind quitters or Players that goes with 1 kill and die a gazillion times, but trolls really get on my nerve.

E92 M3

Or add something like, finish 3, 5, 10 games in a row you get some nice bonus, like REQ or EXP boost.

343 is being more stingier than Bungie in year 1 of Destiny lol. The way I see it, they should be throwing REQ packs at us for all kinds of game activities.

In my experience, positive reinforcement is a much better way to encourage/discourage specific behaviors than punishment...

In the case of Halo 5, rewarding players for consecutive games without quiting would probably be much more effective than quit bans. I think p2p games have proven that it's also an effective tool for player retention.

I'm not against there being a ban policy in place. Actions should have consequences. But the issue should be attacked from both sides.

Yep, harsher penalties won't do anything except shrink the playerbase more.

343 is being more stingier than Bungie in year 1 of Destiny lol. The way I see it, they should be throwing REQ packs at us for all kinds of game activities.

They won't because it's a source of income. If they start giving out more req packs that means people will be less likely to buy them. Armor and weapons is a great way to keep player retention high. The faster people start to unlock things the less they'll play, and the less they'll make off people buying req packs. It also hurts future content because when req content comes out people will be able to get everything day one because they just saved up all their req points because they have everything already.

Caja 117

Yep, harsher penalties won't do anything except shrink the playerbase more.

I think one option could be affect the amount of game quitters need to win to rank up. giving more exp/req/etc to non quitters works to a degree, but a lot of players only care either for their KD, rank, or are like that poster antyhype that will quit for any reason that would annoy him in the game, so rewards will not alleviate the problem much.

Don't let the stats define you :p

Very easy to close the client and come back lol. 343 should look at rewarding people that play - punishment is obviously ineffective. Maybe they can give req packs weekly to people that don't quit. They're just being super stingy.

I totally agree. I know i was putting time into HoTS beacuse of the daily challenges. They were randomized and always led to more income. They can still keep the daily win packs, because they are so good.

In this instance they can have Daily and Weekly challenges. Even special Weekend Challenges. here is an example i would like to see.

Daily
-Permanent Daily Challenge* Win a Warzone Match. Award: Daily Warzone Win Pack.
-Permanent Daily Challenge* Win a Arena Match. Award: Daily Arena Win Pack.

All below can be randomized and not necessarily repeated every day. (3 per day)
Award: X amount of REQ or Req Pack.
-Complete 5 Games in Arena.
-Complete 3 games in Warzone.
-Win 3 Arena matches.
-Win 3 Warzone matches.
-Play 5 games of Weekend Special
+more

So we would have 5 challanges total per day.

I think just having 2 weekly Challenges would be enough. It would reset every Monday.

Weekly Awards: X amounf of REQ or REQ Pack.
-Complete 16 games in Arena.
-Complete 16 games in Warzone.
-Capture 20 bases in Warzone.
-Kill 200 Spartans in Arena
-Kill 300 Spartans in Warzone

Easy stuff like that. A lot more of scenarios they could do.

I know they kind of have this already with Commendations, but i think making something MORE visable to everyone in-game would be a better driving force to keep playing longer.

Maybe this would help stop some quitters.

I end up getting on my smurf to play placement in arena and to get a hang on the Elite. Donging on all the bronzies is fun.
I know I'm a terrible person.

Man now I know how you non US players feel when you consistently get placed in the wrong server. I live in southwest Florida and I keep getting placed in Mexico/South America servers. 1 second nade throw lag and people skipping all over the place on my screen. One instant last night I thought I snuck up behind a guy and stuck him but then the game fast forward and he was 10 feet to my left and 5 shot me with the magnum. FeelsBadMan

Trup1aya

They won't because it's a source of income. If they start giving out more req packs that means people will be less likely to buy them. Armor and weapons is a great way to keep player retention high. The faster people start to unlock things the less they'll play, and the less they'll make off people buying req packs. It also hurts future content because when req content comes out people will be able to get everything day one because they just saved up all their req points because they have everything already.

There's a sweet spot to it all... And getting the right balance between giving and receiving is tough, but I actually think there is money to be made by giving more Reqs away for free.

First of all, people won't be buying Req packs at all if they quit playing the game. As long as a person is playing the game, there's a chance they might spend money. The more the play, the more opportunities 343 has to sell them something. If Giving things away helps keep players' interest, then it should help secure sales as well. That's why p2p games usually have daily awards that increase in value.

The main thing that keeps me from buying a Warzone Req pack is that I know how far I am from guaranteeing that it will be a useful purchase. I probably would have bought it by now, if him had more silver items out of the way.

E92 M3

You overestimate the effect of free req packs; people will still very much purchase them. Not everyone wants to do challenges and stuff. Secondly, armor skins are a lot more interesting than armor - I'd wager most are shooting for skins, certs and armor being last.

I think one option could be affect the amount of game quitters need to win to rank up. giving more exp/req/etc to non quitters works to a degree, but a lot of players only care either for their KD, rank, or are like that poster antyhype that will quit for any reason that would annoy him in the game, so rewards will not alleviate the problem much.

Or even place them in the quitter pool - that'd be funny but hurt MM in the long run.

I totally agree. I know i was putting time into HoTS beacuse of the daily challenges. They were randomized and always led to more income. They can still keep the daily win packs, because they are so good.

In this instance they can have Daily and Weekly challenges. Even special Weekend Challenges. here is an example i would like to see.

Daily

-Win 3 Arena matches.
-Win 3 Warzone matches.
+more

I think just having 2 weekly Challenges would be enough. It would reset every Monday.

I know they kind of have this already with Commendations, but i think making something MORE visable to everyone in-game would be a better driving force to keep playing longer.

Challenges like that are a good idea to get the people playing the game in new ways.

Fuchsdh

The Mark V armor and helmet look awesome in game. It has that chunky CE look to it, helmet rivets aside. ;p

A guy assassinated me and chucked me off the garage in a game of Warzone assault, but it gave me a good view of his Mk V armor so I wasn't even mad :)

The helmet is still inferior to the original or CEA versions, but the armor itself looks really nice—like a streamlined version of the original that fits in with the S-IV aesthetic. Looking forward to it combined with the Mk IV helmet one day.

Poster#1

Stats make people desperate. Doesn't help that 343 displays the K/D front and center lol. They should give the option for people to hide their stats - I think it will reduce some of the quitting.

I believe K/D has no place in Halo. Since when K/D was displayed in Halo? It's a team game first and foremost. The idea of people getting anxious about K/D ratio in a halo game sounds wrong to me.

I believe K/D has no place in Halo. Since when K/D was displayed in Halo? It's a team game first and foremost. The idea of people getting anxious about K/D ratio in a halo game sounds wrong to me.

Pretty sure K/D(now +A) has been a thing for many, many people in Halo for a long, long time, right or wrong.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah the new match making system isnt working out for a lot of people who had flawless connections previously. Including me.

They might just need to tune it down a bit. Doubt they would make more azure servers available for halo 5.

If only.

The game just spins up another virtual server when needed. The capacity is already there.

I had better luck with the servers last night. We'll see tonight.

BraXzy

Challenges should've been there at the start. I don't get why we still don't have any :(

It gives people a drive to play, to do well, to diversify the modes they play. 343 pls shower us with REQs.

I want Challenges and stuff, more stuff the better, but I hate how gaming needs stuff to make people play over and beyond you know, the game.

Leyasu

Banned
Man now I know how you non US players feel when you consistently get placed in the wrong server. I live in southwest Florida and I keep getting placed in Mexico/South America servers. 1 second nade throw lag and people skipping all over the place on my screen. One instant last night I thought I snuck up behind a guy and stuck him but then the game fast forward and he was 10 feet to my left and 5 shot me with the magnum. FeelsBadMan

We know what it feels like man. You are not the only American getting a taste of 343s shaft though believe me. I can concur that it don't taste good either.

Pretty sure K/D(now +A) has been a thing for many, many people in Halo for a long, long time, right or wrong.
Yep. I've been trying to go positive since my lan days in halo 1. Also, a note to self, playing halo on an empty stomach and two cups of coffee is a really bad idea. Played 3 slayer games and I was super jittery lol. Lost 2 of 3 but I usually don't mind if I feel like I competed in competent manner.

I want Challenges and stuff, more stuff the better, but I hate how gaming needs stuff to make people play over and beyond you know, the game.

Well that’s just how games evolved to this point. Halo CE had no type of incentive to keep people playing. H2 added a ranking system and H3 took that a step further by also adding armor customization. Then you have Reach, which I believe is the pinnacle when it comes to player retention. It had something for everyone. It has a ton of different game modes (Headhunter da best), a lot of customization options, daily and weekly challenges, and also a cool ranking system. When you saw someone with Inheritor or Forerunner, it was like damn that’s a cool rank. Now it’s just a number, XXX spartan rank, which I find very uninspiring.

In my view, if you took the content from Reach and combined it with the gameplay from H5 you would have the perfect Halo.

Trup1aya

I believe it has a place, but halo players shouldn't put to much emphasis on it. In a team based game...
My K/D is just under 1.0, but my win percentage is over 50%.

Ok Maybe, I'm getting carried
probably
... But I know I play pretty selflessly. I don't mind dying to capture a stronghold, or to run a flag, or to pick up 2 assists in slayer.

I'm doing more to help my team win than the guy who hangs back, picking off weak Spartans to pad his stats.

Challenges should've been there at the start. I don't get why we still don't have any :(

It gives people a drive to play, to do well, to diversify the modes they play. 343 pls shower us with REQs.

One of the largest glaring omissions in this game.

Daily

-Win 3 Arena matches.
-Win 3 Warzone matches.
+more

This sounds really good, if it's asking for too much I'd also be perfectly happy with just an extra REQ pack every time you complete 5 Arena games in a row without quitting. If I had to suggest a "solution" to quitting it would consist of two things:

1. Bonus REQ packs/points for completing a number of Arena games in a row without quitting
  2. Force quitters to wait for the match they quit from to finish before queuing again
In short, reward good behaviour and make the punishment for quitting a bit more direct and easier to understand.

BraXzy

So Halo 5: Guardians was nominated in a category for the VES Awards.

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Real-Time Project

I have a feeling that it is based on their live-action trailers/CGI stuff. Possibly the opening cinematic, no offense to the team but the smooth as butter 60 frames don't exactly leave room for The Order levels of visual fidelity. So that's my guess on it's nomination.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/2016-ves-awards-winners-star-861174

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Daily

-Win 3 Arena matches.
-Win 3 Warzone matches.
+more

Great idea. Hire this man!

IHaveIce

Banned
Bad games happen to everyone lol

But I did play as unranked. And what happens more and more I see players who either have no idea of power weapons that are not shown through HUD markers or about Overshield.

In 4 games on Empire not one besides me grabbed the Overshield, I don't expect them to time it, but not even at the start?

But I did play as unranked. And what happens more and more I see players who either have no idea of power weapons that are not shown through HUD markers or about Overshield.

In 4 games on Empire not one besides me grabbed the Overshield, I don't expect them to time it, but not even at the start?

At this point unranked just mean you didn't finish your placement matches, matchmaking puts your past rankings/MMR into consideration.

Haruko

I've finally got invite/kick rights on HaloSLAENT spartan company, so if anyone looking to join HaloGAF is turned away because they are full up w/ active players, feel free to give me a shout.

We're pretty much playing with people across the two companies as it is. :p

Welfare

Trying to solo que Arena is so fucking hard now. I want to maintain my Diamonds in Team Arena and Slayer, but it gets really difficult when the game is pairing me with Onyx's and Champs while I'm trying to get placed.

Warzone has probably destroyed me as an Arena player.

That Arena REQ pack is going to be really tempting to buy...

Trying to solo que Arena is so fucking hard now. I want to maintain my Diamonds in Team Arena and Slayer, but it gets really difficult when the game is pairing me with Onyx's and Champs while I'm trying to get placed.

That means you're playing near their level. Might get placed Onyx.

Magwik

Banned
That Arena REQ pack is going to be really tempting to buy...

That means you're playing near their level. Might get placed Onyx.
I want to buy it but then my decision is impaired by the fact that I still haven't got the rest of my Warzone REQs and 343 has done nothing to address the issue even when people complain about it on the forums every single day.

BraXzy

Warzone has probably destroyed me as an Arena player.

Yeah usually if that's what you're matched against, it gives you a good ballpark of where the game is classifying you behind the scenes. When I did FFA last season I was constantly getting put against Diamond/Onyx from the start, got Diamond 3 placement.

Yeah usually if that's what you're matched against, it gives you a good ballpark of where the game is classifying you behind the scenes. When I did FFA last season I was constantly getting put against Diamond/Onyx from the start, got Diamond 3 placement.

Last night I was getting opponents in the 1800s CSR for FFA, so hopefully I can skip the Diamond grind. I usually place 1st and 2nd in every match.

I want to buy it but then my decision is impaired by the fact that I still haven't got the rest of my Warzone REQs and 343 has done nothing to address the issue even when people complain about it on the forums every single day.
It sounds like it's going to be all customization REQs though.

You overestimate the effect of free req packs; people will still very much purchase them. Not everyone wants to do challenges and stuff. Secondly, armor skins are a lot more interesting than armor - I'd wager most are shooting for skins, certs and armor being last.

Or even place them in the quitter pool - that'd be funny but hurt MM in the long run.

Challenges like that are a good idea to get the people playing the game in new ways.

BOLD - Totally agree. Since we have a constant stream of new REQs every month.

They would probably just need to find a way to prusuade those who quit, not to. banning really wont work IMO and in the end they'll just leave the game, dipping the population. It's a hard to balance these things. In depth, there are variables that im probably not even touching.

This sounds really good, if it's asking for too much I'd also be perfectly happy with just an extra REQ pack every time you complete 5 Arena games in a row without quitting. If I had to suggest a "solution" to quitting it would consist of two things:

1. Bonus REQ packs/points for completing a number of Arena games in a row without quitting
  2. Force quitters to wait for the match they quit from to finish before queuing again
In short, reward good behaviour and make the punishment for quitting a bit more direct and easier to understand.

BOLD - This idea works for other games i think due to the addictiveness, and that the game is free. I think in a brainstorm, the outcome is an unhappy customer. Someone who could have been a potential player for X amount of months for X amount of reports to show the higheruprs. I'm thinking what is in priority is the individual customer expeirence.

If they ban people like that, either they will just make a new account and start right up or take the game out and play something else right away. I think the sense of ownership relies on that they paid for a product. so they are selfish and only want to play the game how they want to, MM rules or not. Unfortunetly, not everyone is selfless and are considerate to others, we all know too well. :((

Bravo.gif

Great idea. Hire this man!

#HIREG0SU

JK don't, im only an expert with automated files for health care eligibility

#DontHireG0SU, just give me rewards plz

schlew

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but has anyone else noticed any REQ pack store oddities? For instance, the Warzone REQ bundle shows up SOMETIMES, and since I bought one at launch, it won't let me buy it again (is that correct? You can only own one ever?).

Also, I never got the opportunity to buy the Halo Championship Series REQ packs, which I recall being a thing. Again, chalk it up to being Canadian I suppose.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but has anyone else noticed any REQ pack store oddities? For instance, the Warzone REQ bundle shows up SOMETIMES, and since I bought one at launch, it won't let me buy it again (is that correct? You can only own one ever?).

Also, I never got the opportunity to buy the Halo Championship Series REQ packs, which I recall being a thing. Again, chalk it up to being Canadian I suppose.

The WZ REQ pack is only a one time deal, so when you finish getting your req packs for x amount of weeks you can't get them anymore or buy it again.

The HCS pack was only available for like one weekend, so a lot of people missed out on it. Hopefully they bring it back when the World Championships happens.

schlew

The WZ REQ pack is only a one time deal, so when you finish getting your req packs for x amount of weeks you can't get them anymore or buy it again.

The HCS pack was only available for like one weekend, so a lot of people missed out on it. Hopefully they bring it back when the World Championships happens.

Ah, I see. I do think it's odd that when I open the REQ store, sometimes the WZ pack is there, other times not. Bizarre.

Thanks for your help!

link1201

I've had crap games all week due to the servers. I really do hope they get it sorted soon. I'm pretty much in the middle of the U.S..

Top Bottom