• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Trup1aya

Halo 3 Anniversary coming next year!

Seriously though, I do think H3A is coming next year and it'll be on XBO and also PC.

Or there is going to be some type of spin off (similar to ODST) for Halo 5.

I'd love this... I think it would be a decent opportunity to make some sense of Halo 5's story.

Story spoilers:
I read something today that suggested there was a forerunner alive on Genesis during the events of Halo 5, and he was behind the scenes helping Chief and crew work against Cortana. This is exactly the type of thing that should have been presented in game, instead of locked behind audio logs... Of course it also would have meant more time w/ Blue team and less with Osiris... Can't be mad at that. Currently whatever the hell was happening on Genesis sounds like good ODST-style DLC material.

Ade

Id imagine we get a Year 2 style announcement. Halo 5: Reistence or similar, folding in the content we've had, the next 6 months of updates and a further SP campaign, probably squad based with Infinity and Swords etc all on the run.

wwm0nkey

Id imagine we get a Year 2 style announcement. Halo 5: Reistence or similar, folding in the content we've had, the next 6 months of updates and a further SP campaign, probably squad based with Infinity and Swords etc all on the run.

That would be cool but don't think it's likely :c

Loomba

Urgh, played Eden for 5 out of my last 10 matches. No one on my team ever seems to go rockets and then just get demolished by them.

Absolutely hate the map.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would buy Halo 3 anniversary for sure, but would rather resources go to something else. Halo 5 with ODST like expansion would be fantastic. Really hope we see more than just Halo Wars 2 and Firefight at E3.

Edit: I haven't played a ton since the last update, but i have only played on Stasis once and that was the first day.

This game can be so frustrating at times. I maxed my aim acceleration out and it feels so much better that way. And yet Im getting demolished by full teams in slayer and getting wrecked in warzone...

Seriously though, I do think H3A is coming next year and it'll be on XBO and also PC.

H3A, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3 as launch titles for Xbox Scorpio

ohhh.png

I really don't get why there isn't Overtime in Warzone Assault when trying to cap a base. The time should continue until all of the players on the attacking team are killed in the base.

Strider

With more frequent console releases seemingly being the future it will basically be the end of Xbox consoles for me. Having all the consoles won't be happening anymore and I enjoy significantly more first party games from Sony so I'll probably stick with whatever they release... I'll wanna have whatever the most powerful console is even if the past consoles still play new games (like the OG ps4 and Neo is rumored to work). Halo 5 is literally the only game I play on Xbox One.... Hell I've debated selling my XB1 already but Halo 5 is literally my fav mp shooter ever and that's the only reason I haven't yet.

So yea it's a really good thing Halo 6 is looking like it's coming to PC because otherwise I wouldn't be playing it since I'll be PC + one console going forward. It's gonna be a struggle tho... Not as good with kb/m as I am with controller lol Strider RIP

Nevertheless... I don't think more frequent consoles and PC versions of Halo are going to be nearly as good for the current Halo community as people think. People will opt for the PC version, there probably won't be cross-play, Smaller Xbox user base, etc. There's no doubt in the grand scheme of things xbox titles on W10 is awesome for gamers though... But the number of people playing on console and in MM may get even smaller depending on how that works out.

Sai

Eh... One of the reasons they didn't do anything to the Halo 3 port for MCC was due to the fact that it holds up much better than everything else in the package. And I agree; think it would be kind of a waste of resources.

Same for Reach. Would love to see it running at 60fps though.

It's gonna be a struggle tho... Not as good with kb/m as I am with controller lol Strider RIP
I'm sure you'll be able to use your Xbox controllers.

You'll get stomped by those who actually can use a keyboard 'n mouse though. :p

Eh... One of the reasons they didn't do anything to the Halo 3 port for MCC was due to the fact that it holds up much better than everything else in the package. And I agree; think it would be kind of a waste of resources.

Same for Reach. Would love to see it running at 60fps though.

I'm sure you'll be able to use your Xbox controllers.

You'll get stomped by those who actually can use a keyboard 'n mouse though. :p

I dont think its a waste of resources to respect and support your products for as long as possible. Just look at BF4 as an example. Launch was rough but theyre still supporting it to this day. Still the most played BF game out there and its 3 years old. Showing you care about your product will make people appreciate them more. If they dont care, then why should we.

Sai

There's a difference between providing post-launch support and completely remastering the game, man.

It'd be nice to see Halo 3 closer to today's visual standards, but I feel it'd be a bit too soon.

Akai__

PSA: Spartan Charges in Grifball now count towards the Spartan Charge Commendation. #ForTheCompany

First match 14 Spartan Charge kills. 1 left for my Commendation.

Halo 3 Anniversary makes no sense on the Xbox One at all we already have the 1080p 60FPS version of Halo MCC, but on W10 PCs that's another story still I'm pretty sure that they will announce more post content support for Halo 5 and they will keep working on Halo 6

Trup1aya

With more frequent console releases seemingly being the future it will basically be the end of Xbox consoles for me. Having all the consoles won't be happening anymore and I enjoy significantly more first party games from Sony so I'll probably stick with whatever they release... I'll wanna have whatever the most powerful console is even if the past consoles still play new games (like the OG ps4 and Neo is rumored to work). Halo 5 is literally the only game I play on Xbox One.... Hell I've debated selling my XB1 already but Halo 5 is literally my fav mp shooter ever and that's the only reason I haven't yet.

So yea it's a really good thing Halo 6 is looking like it's coming to PC because otherwise I wouldn't be playing it since I'll be PC + one console going forward. It's gonna be a struggle tho... Not as good with kb/m as I am with controller lol Strider RIP

Nevertheless... I don't think more frequent consoles and PC versions of Halo are going to be nearly as good for the current Halo community as people think. People will opt for the PC version, there probably won't be cross-play, Smaller Xbox user base, etc. There's no doubt in the grand scheme of things xbox titles on W10 is awesome for gamers though... But the number of people playing on console and in MM may get even smaller depending on how that works out.

I still don't see a logical explanation for no cross-play...

Yeah I get it, people using Kb/m will have an accuracy advantage over those on controllers,

1) not everyone on PC would prefer kb/m (like those of us who would switch from Xbox to PC
2) the matchmaking system would (theoretically) match people against those who they can compete against. So you might end up seeing people who are terrible by PC standards playing against people who are good by console standards. If the end result is a good match, who cares what the control methods are.

And if that didn't work out, you could always have controller only servers.

Strider

I still don't see a logical explanation for no cross-play...

Yeah I get it, people using Kb/m will have an accuracy advantage over those on controllers,

I agree with you.

But let's be real... You know people will whine if they have to play kb/m users. People in this very thread have even said "only cross-play if you force controllers on Pc version" lol MS may wanna avoid that... Who knows maybe they'll have cross-play for MM anyway. I'm just guessing here.

Trup1aya

I agree with you.

But let's be real... You know people will whine if they have to play kb/m users. People in this very thread have even said "only cross-play if you force controllers on Pc version" lol MS may wanna avoid that... Who knows maybe they'll have cross-play for MM anyway. I'm just guessing here.

Yeah people will complain, I just don't understand the argument. i bet the vast majority of controller users would never have a CSR high enough to get them into matches with the average Kb/m player.

Those controller users that do have a CSR that high would probably welcome the added competition, because those are the ranks most effected by a low player population.

jem0208

I want Halo 5: Sanghelios rather than H3A.

Let me play as the Arbiter and fight the covenant with the Swords of Sanghelios.

daedalius

Well, the Halo 3 campaign would certainly be a treat; its the last decent one that was made.

Mistel

Banned

I doubt they'd do a spin off but it would be nice especially if it's another ODST style game.

Madness

I feel like releasing Halo on PC will effectively kill any reason to own a Xbox, no clue why they would do that.

Even worse is that people want to have cross play with PC. Anyone with a keyboard/mouse would take a shit on someone with a controller. I would only be in favor of cross play if you force the PC'ers to use controllers.

Doesn't matter if we won't have CSR high enough to match, they will have an inherent advantage. In playlists like Breakout or even Warzone, MMR/CSR barely matters in order to have a stable population.

I agree though. If I am asked to upgrade consoles every 2 years, would rather invest in killer pc and ride it out for 4/5+ years than buy underpowered consoles.

Yeah, as of right now I'm not too much of a fan of these console upgrades, but we'll see. As for kb/m vs controller, lol there's little contest there. Close to 100% accuracy vs controllers does not sound like a grand time, and the skill matching argument doesn't make sense because how many of us match against much higher ranked players currently in H5?

They'd need to have separate playlists. If there's anything Shadowrun taught us, it's that there's no competition between the two. I'm sure there are players who wouldn't mind it and could stand a chance, but I think you'd see a lot of complaints from console players.

Even worse is that people want to have cross play with PC. Anyone with a keyboard/mouse would take a shit on someone with a controller. I would only be in favor of cross play if you force the PC'ers to use controllers.

Doesn't matter if we won't have CSR high enough to match, they will have an inherent advantage. In playlists like Breakout or even Warzone, MMR/CSR barely matters in order to have a stable population.

I agree though. If I am asked to upgrade consoles every 2 years, would rather invest in killer pc and ride it out for 4/5+ years than buy underpowered consoles.
Every two years? A successor to the Xbox One came out last year?

Loomba

Just went +10 and still only won by 1 and I had to get the last kill vs 3. Officially not trying anymore. My heart is going to give in, diamond is good enough solo.

Trup1aya

This doesn't compute. CSR places you against opponents who have won against similar opponents. It's A numerical representation of the quality of opponent you are capable of beating. Yes, the are inherent advantages to using a Kb/m, but each players ability to capitalize on those advantages will vary.

Players who play on kb/m and are very good at the game, will have CSRs that are way higher than everyone else, so they'll end up playing against other very good PC players.

If a kb/m player is getting matched against players using controller, it would be because he's bad enough, that his aim advantage doesn't make up for his other deficiencies coupled with the aim assists that controller users get. His CSR would be what it is, because he's demonstrated he's incapable of beating opponents above that number, regardless of their chose method of input.

In a game like breakout or swat, which has a heightened emphasis on accuracy, I'd imagine that PC users would rarely ever come in contact with each other, because kb/m CSRs would trend higher.

Defect

I don't give a shit about the advantages of kb/m. I want a good population and to be able to matchmake with my pc only friends while I'm on console.

Having better aim isn't going to get you from plat to champ if you play like an idiot and have no positioning skills or map awareness.

Whether it's Halo 5 or 6 that comes to pc, it needs to be crossbuy and crossplay.

Trup1aya

Most people do

Because they don't realize it doesn't matter.

If a kb/m player hovers in the gold ranks, it's because he's having trouble beating players who are better than gold. The fact that he has an aim advantage doesn't cover for the rest of his deficiencies. At the end of the day, regardless of input type, you should be getting close matches so long as your opponents have similar CSR. Having more players, regardless of their platform only increases the likelihood that there will be more players at your CSR.

The highest ranks, will be dominated by kb/m players... And that's fine too... As they'll be getting matched with other kb/m players.

PSA: Spartan Charges in Grifball now count towards the Spartan Charge Commendation. #ForTheCompany

First match 14 Spartan Charge kills. 1 left for my Commendation.

That actually helps a lot; you could simply just SC all game and get +50 kills with it. Sure you might trade kills a lot, but how cares!

The two commendations we are lacking on (still 4/5) are SC and First Strike. SC should go by fast now thanks to this, and well First Strike is just going to take forever and will probably be the last one we finish for the helmet, since there really is no way to speed that one up.

Tomash

Here is Phil Spencer's stance on cross-play:

Polygon article:

"You can imagine playlists that people are cool with just playing with their friends, like [Gears of War's] Horde mode," he said. "If you were on keyboard and mouse and I was on a controller playing PvE, you wouldn't care ... Or in PvP where there's a playlist that's controller-only, [keyboard and mouse]-only and cross-play — let people decide where they want to go play. In the end, some people are hardcore about the competition and some people just want to have fun playing together. And I want to enable both."

GamesBeat: Bringing in mouse and keyboard, how do you account for that in something like Halo or Gears or Call of Duty on Xbox?

Spencer: I want to be clear about this because some people ask questions about this. I’ll never force someone in our games who’s playing with a controller or a mouse and keyboard to play against someone with a different control scheme. Mouse and keyboard rotation speed is faster. We know that. You’ll lose. I shipped Shadowrun. That was part of that.

But as a platform, I want to enable developers to make the choices they want to make. If we’re playing co-op together … say we’re playing The Division. It’s not my game, but say it was a game we were running as a first party. There’s no reason you and I can’t go through a raid with me on mouse and keyboard and you on controller. We should be able to talk to each other. I want to completely enable those scenarios.

But for people who don’t want to get destroyed in, say, Halo arena matches because some guy drops in with a mouse and keyboard — we’re not going to do that. This is about putting tools in the hands of studios to make smart creative decisions on when it makes sense and doesn’t make sense.

Akai__

That actually helps a lot; you could simply just SC all game and get +50 kills with it. Sure you might trade kills a lot, but how cares!

The two commendations we are lacking on (still 4/5) are SC and First Strike. SC should go by fast now thanks to this, and well First Strike is just going to take forever and will probably be the last one we finish for the helmet, since there really is no way to speed that one up.

Actually, you probably can't get 50 kills. It's not insta kill anymore with the Hammer, which is probably why it counts as SC kill. Sword is still insta kill, but it doesn't count as SC.

Actually, you probably can't get 50 kills. It's not insta kill anymore with the Hammer, which is probably why it counts as SC kill. Sword is still insta kill, but it doesn't count as SC.

Oh, I thought the Sword SC were now counting to the commendations!

Welp, going to take forever still! RIP Achilles.

Here is Phil Spencer's stance on cross-play:

Polygon article:

GamesBeat: Bringing in mouse and keyboard, how do you account for that in something like Halo or Gears or Call of Duty on Xbox?
Phil Spencer knows what's up. Give us the options, but don't force controller vs kb/m. Which reminds me, custom games browser and matchmaking toggles when?

Top Bottom