• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

wwm0nkey

After today it is super safe to say all games from here on out are going Win10/Xbox One. Really love the direction MS is taking the Xbox brand.

Also FINALLY played Halo Wars 2.....its pretty fun but that menu freezes so often

blamite

so hyped

UBc5UhT.png

God damn, now that's what Haloman armor should look like.

Well, maybe ease up on the hex pattern on the visor a little bit.

New002

Random question...but for anyone who bought the CE and received the insert with the LE code, did the game, show and req pack codes come separate or were all the elements part of one single code?

Thanks!

I played one game. One of the enemies disconnected, we had 3 of 5 points on map, and I destroyed the enemy bases, was mopping up stragglers on map when our points started going down 10 at a time until we lost. Bug? Or do I not understand the game mode?

Was on the phone while I was playing so I admittedly, could have just totally glossed over something.

Random question...but for anyone who bought the CE and received the insert with the LE code, did the game, show and req pack codes come separate or were all the elements part of one single code?

Thanks!

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if one code had all the goodies? The answer to that is no. All of them were separate codes. Other than the preorder bonuses, they were all on the same card, but they were separate codes (one for the show, one for the Warzone Req Bundle).

New002

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if one code had all the goodies? The answer to that is no. All of them were separate codes. Other than the preorder bonuses, they were all on the same card, but they were separate codes (one for the show, one for the Warzone Req Bundle).

Correct. Sorry for the poor wording. Thanks for answering that for me!

If I was going to get a new controller, I'd spend more for an elite. However, if I was in the market for one of the new custom controllers, I'd get it like this.
and no i'm not an nfl redskins or florida state fan lol
QTf3dul.png

I came back from work a couple hours ago only to see no Halo 5 goodies from E3.

What are 343 doing. something something lazy devs rah rah.

Anyways I watched the Sony conference and man, Sony is to E3 conferences what CLG is to competitive H5.

mo60

Anyways I watched the Sony conference and man, Sony is to E3 conferences what CLG is to competitive H5.

I wouldn't really say that. There first two E3 conferences of the gen were kinda weak, the 2015 E3 conference was great in my opinion and I have yet to watch this year's E3 conference from them, but I have heard good things about it so far.

EYEL1NER

I played one match of HW2 so far. I've never played an RTS against anyone else, only campaign modes against CPU, so I wasn't quite sure what to do. I made some new dudes, made a couple jackrabbits, and then captured four objectives while my teammate just built up his force. I ended up getting wiped out while trying to capture the sole objective the other team held but my teammate went on a rampage at one of the enemy bases. We won it, so that was nice.
I just wish my free gold REQ pack had given me anything worthwhile. It was nice to open a gold for the first time in so long, but then I only got a rare shotgun (and I can't make dick happen with shottys in this game).

343's attempt at MK. # armor.
and for me personally, a lot of the mp armors.
I pretty much agree with your feelings. The armors overall are just underwhelming, especially the helmets. I look at Foehammer and Legionnaire and start to wonder if the artists were stoned when they were doing the designs. I look at commando and think WTF. Just because you have a bunch of designs to make doesn't mean you have to make them intentionally ugly. Seeker, Tracer, Vector, Venture, and Reaper all look like miserably failed experiments. It's like the 343 artists intentionally exaggerated all of the helmet proportions/dimensions to sabotage what could have been an interesting look. "hey these helmets don't look deformed enough, let's make them look like they came from Silent Hill, only on acid!"

jfoul

Need some Halo 5 E3 news dudes!

Anyway, I thought both conferences were really good. A lot of the Sony stuff shown is 2017 , or TBD. Rod announced that Gears 4 will take advantage of Scorpio, so I'm hoping Halo 5 will as well (pls stinkles).

nillapuddin

i meeeeeeannn

PxpReoM.png

.. its right there.

Ive played probably 20 matches, 1 froze and needed a reboot, 5 or so the match doesnt boot immediately it says "waiting for player" for 30 seconds, and although it sometime glitches to get into the game, once Im in, Im in for good. So... yeah, ymmv.

Ade

Halo Wars 2 pre-order includes the Halo Wars 2 – Digital Pre-order Bonus Pack for use in Halo 5: Guardians. To receive your pre-order bonus search for “Halo Wars 2 – Digital Pre-order Bonus Pack” on the Xbox Store and download from the details page. *Online multiplayer features require Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately).

Anyone know what's in that?

lol watching Spartan's (from Liquid) stream and he is going off on how no one is even close to CLG. He's just talking about the pro league in general while playing random games and it's interesting to listen to him. He's questioning whether he is even pro league material and now is criticizing EG and RNG fan boys that think that either team can bring CLG down. I'm liking spartan more and more. Seems really honest and objective. Saying rosters aren't able to get over their own egos/attitudes and adjust their game play to do better. Says teams playing for 2nd all suck. Won't be until season 2 of the pro league for a team/roster to challenge CLG.

EYEL1NER

I wonder if they will ever tweak Summit and do away with some of the advantage that the defenders have.
I just played two WZ Assault matches as a defender on various maps and both were nail-biters. They both came down to the wire, seconds left and we lost our core. I felt pretty good about the way I played in them and scored some good Scorpion kills in both. Then Summit pops up and I think "Oh, if I can get Defender for a third time in a row then I've got this on lock." The match begins, the announcer starts with "Capture enemy blah blah blah," and I say "Fuck." I mean, the advantages that the first area to defend are nice to have when I am defending but man do they ever make assaulting it a pain in the ass. We didn't even capture a sliver of the base, they managed to keep someone alive in there for the entire time.

daedalius

I actually thought it was the most boring one thus far this year. That God of war game looks pretty great tho, wasn't too hyped for much else, maybe that robot dinosaur game.

As a long time Halo fan I'm just tired of the inconsistent art designs between games. There is no need for it as the Bungie era was iconic.

Master Chief's armor is iconic. That's about it. As far as Halo iconography goes, there is nothing you could pull out of the franchise that is legitimately iconic in popular culture other than his armor. Aesthetically, it's remained very, very similar to how it was in Halo 2. Changed significantly, in terms of details and such, but the colors and defining features have remained the same.

Cutter's facial hair is not iconic. The rocket launcher is not iconic. The plasma rifle is not iconic. The Elite's armor is not iconic. The latter three are inherently, recognizably part of the Halo universe, but they are not iconic. They are not iconic in the same way that the mushroom in Mario, the BFG 9000 in Doom, and Metal Gear Rex in Metal Gear Solid aren't iconic. They are not icons of their franchises; a person with little knowledge of those games can't look at those items and immediately think, "that's from X/Y/Z."

You have Bungie's art designers, and you have 343's art designers. They are different people with different visions. If you want to nitpick that a character suddenly has a beard, fine, but don't go saying "the Bungie era was iconic" as if to proclaim the sudden presence of a goatee on someone's face is the result of 343 Industries. Chances are, after eight years, someone at Ensemble Studios (the studio who designed Cutter in the first place) would've opted for a slightly different look, too.

Besides, in the end, this was the result of Creative Assembly, not 343i. 343i may have the final say in the design, but it wasn't them who came up with the new look.

Relevant episode of The Jimquisition.

singhr1

As a long time Halo fan I'm just tired of the inconsistent art designs between games. There is no need for it as the Bungie era was iconic.

The game is 7 years old. The cutscenes are done by an outside studio, not Bungie. Stop revering Bungie games as this holy grail for consistent art design. Their art changes from game to game too, for good reason. Don't make Cutter's design some sort of "iconic" legacy, it's not like the armor design changing. Fans of the original knew who he was as soon as he stepped onto the trailer.

The Bungie era... of Halo Wars. The spinoff game by Ensemble Studios. The one that Bungie hated the very notion of. The one that they had nothing to do with.

Also, what Triscuit and Singhr said.

FyreWulff

Blur did them both.. also, the trailer showed HW2 still has HW1's overall aesthetic.

It's been so long that they probably had to rebuild Cutter anyway, even within the same studio. After 8 years the original Halo Wars cutscenes probably aren't even renderable on their current tooling.

Akai__

Got my 3 Gold Packs from the Beta. Some of the Halo Wars 2 units are pretty damn awesome. I have the feel that the Brute Chieftain uses the UNSC technology. The base, certain units and him practically wearing a Spartan suit sure makes me think so.

Anyways, where is that Halo 5 news? Tired of these "soon" statements. Just tell us when to expect it.

Bungie hated Halo Wars?

Yup. They called it "whoreing out the Halo franchise". They didn't want Ensemble Studios to make this game at all.

Fuchsdh

Got my 3 Gold Packs from the Beta. Some of the Halo Wars 2 units are pretty damn awesome. I have the feel that the Brute Chieftain uses the UNSC technology. The base, certain units and him practically wearing a Spartan suit sure makes me think so.

Anyways, where is that Halo 5 news? Tired of these "soon" statements. Just tell us when to expect it.

Yup. They called it "whoreing out the Halo franchise". They didn't want Ensemble Studios to make this game at all.

Bungie has had some really weird opinions on the franchise. Like hating The Fall of Reach, widely regarded as the best piece of expanded universe content.

Hope I can get some matches in with HW2 today.
Need those 3 req packs

When we say Bungie hated this or that I can't imagine it was a company-wide attitude.

Akai__

Bungie has had some really weird opinions on the franchise. Like hating The Fall of Reach, widely regarded as the best piece of expanded universe content.

Yeah. Not sure what's up with that or who even made these statements. I doubt that the majority of Bungie would even agree with it.

Fuchsdh

Yeah. Not sure what's up with that or who even made these statements. I doubt that the majority of Bungie would even agree with it.

"According to Trautmann, the book was nearly cancelled because Bungie was opposed to the idea of the Master Chief having a definite backstory. They eventually relented after Trautmann made them the offer that they let the book be completed and published in exchange for he, Matt Soell, and Brannon Boren completing Combat Evolved's script, which was still "80 percent" unfinished."

Trautmann, Ed Fries, and the Microsoft development team at the time are some of the unsung heroes of Halo, because shit probably wouldn't have gotten done or done well without them.

link1201

We'll probably get Halo 5 news tomorrow or Wednesday during the Xbox Daily streams.
This is my thought as well. I hope it's a big announcement(s). I hope everyone is enjoying the HW2 beta but those games aren't for me so I need some Halo 5 news.

Off topic: I'm totally going to buy a ps4 for spiderman if it reviews well...sigh. lol

RoKKeR

For anyone who hasn't seen the campaign b-roll they showed yesterday for Halo Wars 2 during the PC Gaming show or the YouTube thing, the raw footage is here:

http://news.xbox.com/wp-content/uploads/E32016_HW2_CampaignBRoll_2Min_ESRB_1080p29.mp4

Damn, this looks amazing. It seems like the beta is a bit janky and undercooked (obviously) so I'm glad they are taking their time to polish it. Glad to hear that soft piano in the background during the quieter moments...

You get req packs for playing the HW2 beta? Cool.
Was just going to ask this? How long do matches in halo wars take? If not long I'll download the beta just to get some quick gold packs and then go back to Halo 5.

Played some games this morning after getting off work. Thought I'd try my luck in slayer. First game. Pegasus. 2nd 3rd and 4th games might have all been against full teams but not 100% sure. After Pegasus it went torque, riptide, overgrowth...yay. finally got an even game on regret where the rest of my team failed when I finally had a good game, so we lost. Mind you I was really just wanting to pick up a quick daily win pack. Instead lost 5 straight games. Finally won the 6th match on eden. Pegasus reminds me in many ways of sword base in that you can just camp the top with sniper rifle and rockets, but sword base was a hundreds times better. Dead serious.

Karl2177

When the title screen starts, hit start then hit "B" really fast. I think the tutorial is whats crashing it.

The team is looking into that one, but there are some players who found a "workaround". Details are in our support thread on Waypoint.

Tried these last night and this morning. No bueno. I'll try again over lunch, but I'm not putting much faith in it. I might just wait until the next beta and when it's on win10.

Top Bottom