• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Got this today from one of my free Gold packs.

...hell yeah.
jelly. I have a legendary rocket turret to unlock, and then all that is left are Oathsworn, Whispered Truth, Nornfang, and Prophets Bane. Kind of bummed that the game is literally going to unlock those last for me. Also bummed that I'm not getting the H2BR or the extended clip magnum loadout options until the very end too. I think I have 2 SMG loadouts and 3 to 4 DMR Loadouts left and that's it. But still no extended clip magnum...
Hey that's not such a bad thing.

* Looks at Mark V Alpha*

Oh god what happened!?
haha this needs to be quoted every day. I'm sure half of you or more have me on ignore cause all i do is complain and spout profanity occasionally, but the armors in this game are hilariously bad. I think the 343 artists must have been using claydough shop editor during halo 5's development.

Trup1aya

I would agree with you, but one of the last few updates said something to the effect of "we hear you; fighting the Warden is getting old- more unique bosses are on the way... ".

And hasn't every single update had plenty of new assets (weapons, vehicles, etc) including animations (assassinations)? Expecting Brutes might be optimistic, but that doesn't mean it is unimaginable.

And their answer to that is to give existing enemies a new coat of paint (admittedly sexy paint), and tweak their behavior/damage output. I wouldn't expect brutes (or any other non halo5 enemy... I'd love to be wrong)

With all the potential Warzone has, they went super conservative with it exectution. From recycled bases, to recycled bosses, to the recycles cosmetics, they really fell short of its potential.

I always envisioned a balls-to-the-wall chaotic time with scarabs and banshees and flood forms and shit randomly causing havoc as two teams of Spartans attempt to fight for control.

theres always halo Scorpio..

sometimes you just have to laugh
cry ;_;
about your teammate.
ImJCQlg.png

keeping in line with my random musings. I was watching a twitch stream while working out the other day and happened upon some guy or team named Turley. They had gone down 0-2 in some series or scrim and then came back 2 games to tie it up. The reason i remember this is because of how obnoxious they were being, basically being completely disrespectful and trash talking the other team saying all sorts of offensive obscenities toward the other team while in their own little party chat, because they had come back to even the series. Then I noticed that they were all wearing the Achilles helm and i thought how appropriate it was that a bunch of d-bags were propagating the stereotype that players wearing the achilles helm are usually a bunch of dicks. They went on to lose the series 3-2 and it was very satisfying to watch them lose. Of course, they had nothing to say once they lost. The end.

i wish i was on GAF for the Achilles stuff

You can have my spot if you want. The novelty of Achilles has worn off and I don't care about it anymore. I haven't played in almost two weeks now and I probably won't play that much anymore. I might play a bit when FF comes out, but honestly I think I'm just done with this game for the most part. I just reached the point where I'm sick of all the bullshit and it's no longer fun to play. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere.

I'm officially in the remove the storm rifle from the game or nerf it camp. Getting melted at distance before I can get off 4 shots with the BR is the dumbest thing I've ever experienced.

edit: meant to say storm rifle not plasma caster...

Brute plasma rifle is what the storm rifle should of been. I'd be massively in favor of replacing all SR's with BPR's, except on maps like Regret where there is only 1 and its in a bad/vulnerable spot.

So where does it say that you get a gold req pack for playing a match of HW2? ive played two so far and nothing has popped up.

also, this game will be great with actual team work, and hopefully they put KB/M support for this on Xbox One

The Master Chief is not the only iconic thing about Halo. In Halo 4 though they changed his look which in the games lore makes absolutely no sense.

He is, though. Hold up a picture of the magnum on the street and ask a dozen people if they know where it's from. Chances are you're going to be asked what the hell is wrong with you, not that it's from Halo. Not iconic.

Chief's armor? Plenty of people know what it is; even my grandparents know it's "the Halo guy". There's a very clear line between memorable designs and pop culture icons, and you're getting them mixed up.

They are iconic though, the SPNKR is recognizable and unique among years of generic Rocket Launchers introduced in other FPS games when the Halo 5 Rocket Launcher looks like it was ripped from those other generic FPS games.

Memorable, not iconic.

The Plasma Rifle is an iconic weapon of the Covenant from the oriignal trilogy, the Storm Rifle in-game can easily be confused from a distance with the Carbine.

Memorable, not iconic.

Regardless of Cutters facial hair being iconic or not isn't my point though, it's just not consistent and that is the problem I have with Halo right now.

You have a problem with a 15 year old franchise having different art designers over the course of its run? That's something literally every single long-running series will run into as it ages. Every. Single. One.

Hell, even series that have the same artists working on them will change radically over the years to reflect their new preferences and how their artistic sense has evolved over their career.

Then they should have worked for another company or created something new.

First off, Ensemble Studios was owned by Microsoft. Second of all, it was Microsoft who wanted it to be a Halo game. It started development as an Age of Mythology spinoff, not a Halo game.

You don't alter a memorable design choice for the hell of it if there is nothing wrong with the old design.

Some artists like to change stuff where they feel there could be improvement. Sorry that bothers you; nothing you or I can do about it. It's business.

Star Wars has kept things consistent in the mainline films from an art standpoint, but we all know how people feel about his alterations of the original trilogy.

That's more of a case of Lucas being a control freak with free reign to do whatever the hell he wanted.

That is a poor argument as Ensemble were shutdown before the game even launched.

You realize you're trying to argue that my points are invalid because I made a hypothetical statement, right?

The fact is that in the end it is Bungies art and designs that will go down as being what defined Halo at it's peak.

Citation needed.

I will relink that episode of Jimquisition discussing the term "iconic".

m23

If you're having issues with the Halo Wars 2 beta, try going to Manage Game and deleting the saved and reserve data then boot the game up. Worked for me yesterday. Also, you'll have to keep pressing B once you press start at the main menu to try and skip the video.

I can't believe we're actually arguing whether a character should have a beard or a goatee.

HALO B O Y S

It wasn't because of Cutter having facial hair, it was because the reasoning given boiled down to "Bungie never would have done this", and it was pretty silly (especially because it wasn't Bungie who even conceived of Cutter).

Brute plasma rifle is what the storm rifle should of been. I'd be massively in favor of replacing all SR's with BPR's, except on maps like Regret where there is only 1 and its in a bad/vulnerable spot.
I totally agree with your thinking here.
you guys are full.
Oh I didn't realize that. I know there was some discussion about not removing anyone from the SC that participated in getting the Achilles armor, so that they don't miss out on the helm. But at the same time, if people haven't played in at least month, I'd consider cleaning out some roster space. My personal opinion.
Sorry, yeah Ram. He and GringoSuave have been the most active on Halogaf. That Elzar guy isn't trustworthy lol.

Mark IV helmet check

Mark V armor check

Mark V helmet :(

Halo 2 battle rifle check

Halo Combat Evolved magnum check

Gold visor check

gameover_zps6kp7dqrh.gif

Yeah now I have everything that I wanted to get unlocked so Halo 5 it's pretty much over for me in terms of unlocking stuff and long sessions of gameplay, I'm not going to stop playing of course but the time that I will spent on the game is going to be reduced with games like Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Call of Duty
Modern Warfare Remastered of course
etc but I will never stop playing the MP is amazing and Halo is my favorite franchise of all time but yeah

P.S Frank/Tashi where are the Firefight E3 news? :/

If Forerunner is serious about leaving the company and giving you his spot, I'll happily add an active member like yourself.

I resigned so you can add him now. I'll happily give my spot to an active player. Like I stated before, I won't be playing as much and I don't really care about Achilles. The game is causing me more frustration than enjoyment, so I'd rather just not even bother with it much anymore.

I resigned so you can add him now. I'll happily give my spot to an active player. Like I stated before, I won't be playing as much and I don't really care about Achilles. The game is causing me more frustration than enjoyment, so I'd rather just not even bother with it much anymore.

You're a good man. Walk with God, Spartan. -salutes-

Tris, check yo PMs

Cranster

Banned
I hope I am mistaken but doesn't she look whitewashed in that screen grab? Could just be a facial reaction though at that specific moment.

I can't believe we're actually arguing whether a character should have a beard or a goatee.

HALO B O Y S

Consistency. I want Halo to be consistent in both it's art and lore.

It wasn't because of Cutter having facial hair, it was because the reasoning given boiled down to "Bungie never would have done this", and it was pretty silly (especially because it wasn't Bungie who even conceived of Cutter).
No, my issue is it's not consistent and it's changed for no good reason.

Sad day for Halo :(

blamite

God, I just hope H2 doesn't have the frustration of playing the Covenant against Anders, where your only anti-air option is an air unit, which Anders can use her ability to instakill.

Top Bottom