• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Lren

Feeling the hype for Firefight in full force. Despite the jRPGs I've been waiting for all releasing this week and next, this update has me most excited.

Yeah, the beta was a lot of fun. The full release should be even better.
I really hope this is true. The beta was fun enough, but I think I would bore quickly of it. I want to finish my dang enemy kill commendations though.

Now I'm thinking about the slayer forge map situation again. Maybe the forge maps not being inserted into slayer is a function of the timed updates promised. Afterward, once support is no longer focused on planned/promised content, I'm hoping forge maps will come more frequently and in greater numbers rather than one map once a month. We'll see I guess. That's making super duper large excuses for 343.

Looking forward to the Lava/Rig remix.. the biggest thing that stops be from coming back to Halo 5 is the lack of weird variety in the Arena maps.. they just all feel a bit samey, stale, and less exploratory. Hope to see that change going forward, whether with Halo 5 or perhaps 6.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to the latest update!
very much this. some of the intrigue and hook of playing matchmaking in previous halo games was the variety of different maps. Halo 5 is really really hurting in that department. Industrial industrial industrial industrial oh look industrial. Seeing the maps pop up in halo 5 doesn't excite in the way it did in previous halos. No outdoor tropical or rural maps. No nice mountain vistas or hills off in the distance. Almost no covenant maps. We finally have a snow map in stasis, which is nice, but that is by and large the best remix we've had. No water in any of the slayer maps accept riptide and overgrowth, but those hardly feel like outdoor maps. No desert maps. No ancient ruins/temple style maps. Halo 5 is lacking in diversity in a really bad way.

Yall ready to lose at wave 3 when you need to defend the garage?

:p
I am
Tc62a44.png

Firefight has always been about survival.... Sweatiness has always been a must.
It would be amazing if 343 could add a survival variant of FF a la ODST where you and 4 to 8 other players try to stay alive as long as possible against increasingly tougher or numerous enemies, scoring included and no time limit.

It would be amazing if 343 could add a survival variant of FF a la ODST where you and 4 to 8 other players try to stay alive as long as possible against increasingly tougher or numerous enemies, scoring included and no time limit.

The dedicated servers it's what it's stopping this from happening I'm afraid

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Game ending like that is kind of a Reach.

They definitely should have done something different with the UNSC air vehicle. Falcon would have been ideal as it can hold 3 spartans. At least the Wasp looks cool I suppose.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Yall ready to lose at wave 3 when you need to defend the garage?

:p

That objective has been...retuned since the beta. Should provide a more reasonable challenge for the round. Additionally some the of the new HUD/UI elements should better communicate the state of the base defense.

That objective has been...retuned since the beta. Should provide a more reasonable challenge for the round. Additionally some the of the new HUD/UI elements should better communicate the state of the base defense.

Edit: Ups my bad sorry I only knew that Tashi and Stinkles worked at 343

very much this. some of the intrigue and hook of playing matchmaking in previous halo games was the variety of different maps. Halo 5 is really really hurting in that department. Industrial industrial industrial industrial oh look industrial. Seeing the maps pop up in halo 5 doesn't excite in the way it did in previous halos. No outdoor tropical or rural maps. No nice mountain vistas or hills off in the distance. Almost no covenant maps. We finally have a snow map in stasis, which is nice, but that is by and large the best remix we've had. No water in any of the slayer maps accept riptide and overgrowth, but those hardly feel like outdoor maps. No desert maps. No ancient ruins/temple style maps. Halo 5 is lacking in diversity in a really bad way.

Yeah, I have huge complaints about the [lack of] visual variety. But that's not even my biggest gripe.

The play style of the maps just feel.. I guess a little too simple. Refined, but lacking. I really do enjoy quite a few of them, but as a whole package I find myself getting quite bored with the maps in rotation.

Fuchsdh

I should have said a la Reach with the score attack, but weren't the games timed in Reach? I can't remember.

Reach launched with more "classic" FF alongside the Arcade version, but by the end really the Arcade version was the only thing you could play.

The CEA version of Halo and its single-map only FF playlist was great, though. Had a blast with it.

Akai__

By that logic, they shouldnt have put the Classic BR or Halo 2 BR into the req system.

they do all function the same

Sounds like pretty good logic to me. I'm pretty sure fans would have loved plenty of other things, instead of 20 reskinned BR's and Warthog's. I'm not exactly happy with most of the REQ's, to be honest. There's like a handful that I really like, but most of the stuff is just pretty uninteresting to me. I actually feel like there is too much redudant stuff (looking at Hemets/Armor and Emblems for example).

But still, I appreciate that 343i is trying and supporting this game for so long. It's great to see that they are bringing back stuff like Firefight, even if I'm 1 of those persons who will probably not spend much time in it. Really hope that this will not change with Halo 6 and that they now finally have a good foundation, which they can use to make Halo 6 even better. Last thing we need is an other "start from the beginning".

Sounds like pretty good logic to me. I'm pretty sure fans would have loved plenty of other things, instead of 20 reskinned BR's and Warthog's. I'm not exactly happy with most of the REQ's, to be honest. There's like a handful that I really like, but most of the stuff is just pretty uninteresting to me. I actually feel like there is too much redudant stuff (looking at Hemets/Armor and Emblems for example).

But still, I appreciate that 343i is trying and supporting this game for so long. It's great to see that they are bringing back stuff like Firefight, even if I'm 1 of those persons who will probably not spend much time in it. Really hope that this will not change with Halo 6 and that they now finally have a good foundation, which they can use to make Halo 6 even better. Last thing we need is an other "start from the beginning".

If 343 doesnt launch Halo 6 with everything they've already done, plus all the classic stuff they ignored...

well im hard to please.

Akai__

If 343 doesnt launch Halo 6 with everything they've already done, plus all the classic stuff they ignored...

well im hard to please.

They don't neccessarily need everything (looking at Breakout for example). They have the data and should have a pretty good idea what people liked and maybe even what people ask for.

Looking forward to what's comming next anyways. Doubt I will stop caring for Halo anytime soon and I always feel bad when my passion overcomes me and people like Frankie and David have to read it.

Thanks for the info :). we loovvesss youuuuuuuu. come back sooon!
NEW HUD/UI ELEMENTS!?!?! ZOMG SPAZZZIN OUT WITH ALL CAPS RIGHT NOW SON

Game ending like that is kind of a Reach.

You got jokes. RobertDinero.Gif

Pacman+halo.jpg

Let's do this

Grunt Goblin coming in hot to break all our important parts D:

"Did you see his 'Thrust'? That is quite intimidating, and I like it." -
Fata1moose

They don't neccessarily need everything (looking at Breakout for example). They have the data and should have a pretty good idea what people liked and maybe even what people ask for.

Looking forward to what's comming next anyways. Doubt I will stop caring for Halo anytime soon and I always feel bad when my passion overcomes me and people like Frankie and David have to read it.

at least launch with All classic gametypes, ricochet and a decent map palette

I think if people are concerned about player engagement, we need some carrots to chase.

What if we had weekly challenges that gave RP rewards, and rotated out week by week? (So that threre are different challenges each week)

Maybe something like:
- get an overkill in arena (5000 RP)
- kill a legendary war zone boss (5000 RP)
- capture 3 flags in CTF (cumulative) (2500 RP)
- get 15 kills with a sword (cumulative) (2500 RP)

Shit like that.

There could be like 10 challenges a week, that are drawn from a pool of like 50-100 different challenges (I dunno get creative).

The weapon/vehicle specific challenges (like the sword one above) could even lead to people calling in weapons/vehicles they normally wouldn't.

Because BELIEVE it or not, people DO log on just to get their daily win pack...But then end up playing for longer cause it's fun. I know some of my irl friends do that.

Oh yeah, and by having gametype-specific challenges (like the ctf example above), people will probably play a match in playlists they normally wouldn't touch. What if there was a challenge for scoring in griffball, or killing infected?

Last edit: sorry for backseat game developing Kappa

jem0208

I think if people are concerned about player engagement, we need some carrots to chase.

What if we had weekly challenges that gave RP rewards, and rotated out week by week? (So that threre are different challenges each week)

Maybe something like:
- get an overkill in arena (5000 RP)
- kill a legendary war zone boss (5000 RP)
- capture 3 flags in CTF (cumulative) (2500 RP)
- get 15 kills with a sword (cumulative) (2500 RP)

Shit like that.

There could be like 10 challenges a week, that are drawn from a pool of like 50-100 different challenges (I dunno get creative).

The weapon/vehicle specific challenges (like the sword one above) could even lead to people calling in weapons/vehicles they normally wouldn't.

Because BELIEVE it or not, people DO log on just to get their daily win pack...But then end up playing for longer cause it's fun. I know some of my irl friends do that.

We 100% need challenges.

Top Bottom