• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I think if people are concerned about player engagement, we need some carrots to chase.

What if we had weekly challenges that gave RP rewards, and rotated out week by week? (So that threre are different challenges each week)

Maybe something like:
- get an overkill in arena (5000 RP)
- kill a legendary war zone boss (5000 RP)
- capture 3 flags in CTF (cumulative) (2500 RP)
- get 15 kills with a sword (cumulative) (2500 RP)

Shit like that.

There could be like 10 challenges a week, that are drawn from a pool of like 50-100 different challenges (I dunno get creative).

The weapon/vehicle specific challenges (like the sword one above) could even lead to people calling in weapons/vehicles they normally wouldn't.

Because BELIEVE it or not, people DO log on just to get their daily win pack...But then end up playing for longer cause it's fun. I know some of my irl friends do that.

Oh yeah, and by having gametype-specific challenges (like the ctf example above), people will probably play a match in playlists they normally wouldn't touch. What if there was a challenge for scoring in griffball, or killing infected?

So do the Reach thing, with challenges. we also need 2x RP weekends

Glass

When you get 23 kills in WA but don't come top because this guys on your team

Screenshot-Original.png

Things are finally looking up for me, just got done with silver packs (nobody talk about the new reqs in the update and let me have this) and got placed onyx in team swat. I know it's only swat but best starting placement I've gotten in swat. Plus with half those games being against champions I'm more than happy doing as decent as I am. Now to place in everything else before the month ends to get some practice for next month.

Things are finally looking up for me, just got done with silver packs (nobody talk about the new reqs in the update and let me have this) and got placed onyx in team swat. I know it's only swat but best starting placement I've gotten in swat. Plus with half those games being against champions I'm more than happy doing as decent as I am. Now to place in everything else before the month ends to get some practice for next month.

Just don't spend any REQ points until the update drops, and you'll finish off most (or all) of the new silver tier unlocks

Fuchsdh

With the smaller than usual number of REQs shouldn't be too hard to get this months' new stuff quickly.

Trup1aya

I think if people are concerned about player engagement, we need some carrots to chase.

What if we had weekly challenges that gave RP rewards, and rotated out week by week? (So that threre are different challenges each week)

Maybe something like:
- get an overkill in arena (5000 RP)
- kill a legendary war zone boss (5000 RP)
- capture 3 flags in CTF (cumulative) (2500 RP)
- get 15 kills with a sword (cumulative) (2500 RP)

Shit like that.

There could be like 10 challenges a week, that are drawn from a pool of like 50-100 different challenges (I dunno get creative).

The weapon/vehicle specific challenges (like the sword one above) could even lead to people calling in weapons/vehicles they normally wouldn't.

Because BELIEVE it or not, people DO log on just to get their daily win pack...But then end up playing for longer cause it's fun. I know some of my irl friends do that.

Oh yeah, and by having gametype-specific challenges (like the ctf example above), people will probably play a match in playlists they normally wouldn't touch. What if there was a challenge for scoring in griffball, or killing infected?

Last edit: sorry for backseat game developing Kappa

Yea, they definately could have gone a bit farther with the carrot dangling. Daily win packs were a good start, but they really should take it a step further in some of the sets you suggested.

They could also do weekly challenges reward req items . Like get X sniper head shots get a Req pack full of Norfangs.

(I probably would make these challenges Warzone only. Otherwise shitheads would be betraying people for their weapons.

Yea, they definately could have gone a bit farther with the carrot dangling. Daily win packs were a good start, but they really should take it a step further in some of the sets you suggested.

They could also do weekly challenges reward req items . Like get X sniper head shots get a Req pack full of Norfangs.

(I probably would make these challenges Warzone only. Otherwise shitheads would be betraying people for their weapons.

I mean, wasn't that always the argument AGAINST this type of stuff? You'd have people bitching about how their team wasn't playing properly and instead were going for specific kill types while the team itself suffered and lost games.

Personally I enjoyed it back in Reach but I would definitely veer away from weapon specific ones unless it was Warzone exclusive like you said. I have some not so fond memories of teammates jumping in front of my Tank shots simply to get team killed so they could boot me and take said Tank.

Trup1aya

I mean, wasn't that always the argument AGAINST this type of stuff? You'd have people bitching about how their team wasn't playing properly and instead were going for specific kill types while the team itself suffered and lost games.

Personally I enjoyed it back in Reach but I would definitely veer away from weapon specific ones unless it was Warzone exclusive like you said. I have some not so fond memories of teammates jumping in front of my Tank shots simply to get team killed so they could boot me and take said Tank.

Exactly

That's the argument against this stuff for Arena play, because chasing challenges was often counter to completing the objective especially when there are limited weapons on map to complete the challenges.

In Warzone or Warzone Assualt, any weapon challenges could be completed in service of the objective... It wouldn't adversely effect your teammates.

Exactly

That's the argument against this stuff for Arena play, because chasing challenges was often counter to completing the objective especially when there are limited weapons on map to complete the challenges.

In Warzone or Warzone Assualt, any weapon challenges could be completed in service of the objective... It wouldn't adversely effect your teammates.

thats not an issue in Halo 5 because there isnt an objective.

Exactly

Yeah outside of match victories, arena games should not have any challenges. In Warzone, anything goes.

I don't see an issue for challenges involving objectives (flag cap, returns, stronghold caps, resets) or general kills (perfect kills, over kills, double kills, etc)

Yeah that's fine, but I've seen enough idiots betray over a sniper as is. As long as Warzone would continue to not allow team killing I'd have no problems with it. But if team killing were allowed you'd be asking for a jackass to take your power weapon just to get more exp for completing these.

It's also not a bad idea to keep them easy to accomplish. You'd have people like us that could be done in a game or two but no more of those play 50 matches in a week ones. Yeah, I could get that many games in but a casual player is only gonna be put off by that amount. Where as a simple play five games or get one overkill would be accomplished by everyone.

Just don't spend any REQ points until the update drops, and you'll finish off most (or all) of the new silver tier unlocks

But golds are soooo tempting... But probably will just save due to looking at the sneak peak and seems like it will only take around 50000 points give or take 20000. Then I get to the real fun grinding for golds...

Fuchsdh

It's actually pretty funny with how good Halo 5's achievements are to see Dota 2's The International quest lines, and how they are everything people complained about with Halo's multiplayer achievements worsening gameplay, cranked up to 11.

Yeah that's fine, but I've seen enough idiots betray over a sniper as is. As long as Warzone would continue to not allow team killing I'd have no problems with it. But if team killing were allowed you'd be asking for a jackass to take your power weapon just to get more exp for completing these.

It's also not a bad idea to keep them easy to accomplish. You'd have people like us that could be done in a game or two but no more of those play 50 matches in a week ones. Yeah, I could get that many games in but a casual player is only gonna be put off by that amount. Where as a simple play five games or get one overkill would be accomplished by everyone.

Yeah challenges shouldn't be unique to power weapons or else a good amount of match will be ruined. Glad warzone doesn't allow team killing cause salty people would ruin that. Though using reach as a references isn't a bad idea just have dailys weeklys and monthlys so it's a nice balance for casual people and more dedicated ones.

Though arena is something that needs a boost in xp and req points so challenges would probably help bring more people into playlist. That and encouraging people to play objective would help some randoms from just slaying every ctf game.

Moa

seriously?

I'm not exactly thrilled that they're bringing back a weapon that has hardly changed since Halo 2 outside of its design.

It's cool that the old model is back but I'd much rather have something that serves a purpose other than just a quick "oh cool, its the old model".

If it actually has a unique use, I'll be happy.

Just got my feeling hurt In halo wars 2 beta dude rushed us with a full unit capacity of upgraded jet pack brutes and destroyed us one by one. Shit was a little dumb but whatever I'll cry it off. But side notes those skins look super fire and I'm jealous.

I'm curious to know what's 343's feedback and vision on the Requisition system for Halo 5 and how it may impact Halo 6.

Has it been very profitable enough for MS/343i to implement Requisitions to include it in future Halo games on the XboxOne/Win10PC?

How does the Halo community feel about Micro transactions staying? It's not like it has damaged the franchise since Halo 5 has been out and Spartan Assault had first introduced it. Seems like they know how to properly market it right without hurting the fan base and consumers who still play these games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm curious to know what's 343's feedback and vision on the Requisition system for Halo 5 and how it may impact Halo 6.

Has it been very profitable enough for MS/343i to implement Requisitions to include it in future Halo games on the XboxOne/Win10PC?

How does the Halo community feel about Micro transactions staying? It's not like it has damaged the franchise since Halo 5 has been out and Spartan Assault had first introduced it. Seems like they know how to properly market it right without hurting the fan base and consumers who still play these games.

Paypal me $2 for more information.

No way Reqs go away. It makes money and is an element of post-release sustain. Any changes will be pretty minor, I'm sure.

Or Stinkles can PM me his paypal deets and I'll know for sure.

Loomba

Reqs mean that we get free, extended support. I'm glad it worked out for them. I just hope they refine it in Halo 6 ala Hearthstone, like being able to craft (spend RP) on individual items and lower the RP price of special packs.

Top Bottom