• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Fuchsdh

Reqs mean that we get free, extended support. I'm glad it worked out for them. I just hope they refine it in Halo 6 ala Hearthstone, like being able to craft (spend RP) on individual items and lower the RP price of special packs.
I'd love some of the early Dota 2 elements (recycling and gambling wins for bonuses) to come into play too. Obviously making it easier to browse and sell unwanted REQs would be nice too.

Other than that I think it'd be nice if we could directly spend RP on items, even if it were very expensive to do that, that way you could grind a la Reach for the things you really want without the RNG worry if that floats your boat.

I'd love some of the early Dota 2 elements (recycling and gambling wins for bonuses) to come into play too. Obviously making it easier to browse and sell unwanted REQs would be nice too.

Other than that I think it'd be nice if we could directly spend RP on items, even if it were very expensive to do that, that way you could grind a la Reach for the things you really want without the RNG worry if that floats your boat.

Problem is, I think the RNG elements is what makes it worthwhile for them. Imagine all the people that have bought req packs with real cash. All because of that "this will be the pack I get X!" mentality.

On the talk of reqs I think they are pretty great all and all, a lot of fluff in it but not really a bad thing cause there will always be something that fits with someone. Though with weapons and vehicles I'm always scared using them cause don't want to waste them. Had a case where In warzone assault today where somebody camped the attackers vehicle spawns and waited till one came out so he could plasma pistol them and then put a nade in the vehicle to destroy it. Did it to my tank and almost another one but I waited him out. Point is that shouldn't be a thing and because of that I didn't spawn anything else cause the defenders were going all out. Should be barriers in warzone to stop teams for going places to give them an unfair advantage.

Though all and all really like how the system is more or less a ladder where you have to work your way up to get better stuff, you can still have a chance of getting good stuff but have a chance of getting everything else you don't have yet so it's always a gamble if you don't work your way up.

Fuchsdh

Problem is, I think the RNG elements is what makes it worthwhile for them. Imagine all the people that have bought req packs with real cash. All because of that "this will be the pack I get X!" mentality.

It's possible, but they've had the limited-run packs of 80K RP versus real coin, and this would essentially be the same thing. 100K for Mk IV helmet, etc. I guess the real question is whether or not there are people who would grind for that stuff and then immediately stop playing. I never got half the stuff I wanted in Reach.

Nowise10

I feel like doing the same thing in Halo 6 would be lame. By that I mean just having to unlock everything all over again. I know I wont ever unlock everything in Halo 5, so it would get tiring to have the trend continue in the next Halo game.

But I also don't know what else they could do. Maybe a system where you can individual select what you want to purchase instead of a slot machine as others have suggested? IDK.

Can you imagine what it would be like if for Halo 6 they announced no more free updates, and that you have to buy map packs?

It would be a bigger shitstorm than that "stories of eating ice cream" thread in OT

Trup1aya

I'm curious to know what's 343's feedback and vision on the Requisition system for Halo 5 and how it may impact Halo 6.

Has it been very profitable enough for MS/343i to implement Requisitions to include it in future Halo games on the XboxOne/Win10PC?

How does the Halo community feel about Micro transactions staying? It's not like it has damaged the franchise since Halo 5 has been out and Spartan Assault had first introduced it. Seems like they know how to properly market it right without hurting the fan base and consumers who still play these games.

As a member of the community, I'll say that I'm fine with microtransactions being in the game, and 343i did a fine job isolating items that can affect outcomes into the Warzone mode.

I just hope the refine the system in future games. Before the most recent tweak, opening gold packs was more likely than not, extremely disappointing thanks to repetive cosmetic items. I would have spend much more $ on req packs if I had confidence that they wouldn't generally be useless.

Now opening gold packs is often disappointing, but is more often enjoyable. So they ARE making progress...

In the future req packs should contain weapon/vehicle certs, 1 time use weapons/vehicles/boosts

Most cosmetics should be purchaseable directy with RP

Some cosmetics should be tied to achievements/commendations

Should be able to gamble RP on our match outcomes and Pro matches.

Fuchsdh

Holy shit I forgot about that thread

I was laughing like a madman in the laundromat because the "pretending he's from another country" thread led me to the time the guy pretended he was Japanese on GAF and then copied in Halo fiction to the end of his "coming clean" post. GAF deep lore is great.

This may be weird, but does anyone else find the Prometheans less fun to fight because they feel less 'alive'. I really dig the full personality of the covenant, and they have lots of cool quirks that play out in the battlefield. Even with the added Promethean Solider chatter they just kinda feel like robot enemies.

This is just something that's been bugging me. It sounds a little silly and superficial, but I just don't really enjoy Promethean encounters that much.

This may be weird, but does anyone else find the Prometheans less fun to fight because they feel less 'alive'. I really dig the full personality of the covenant, and they have lots of cool quirks that play out in the battlefield. Even with the added Promethean Solider chatter they just kinda feel like robot enemies.

This is just something that's been bugging me. It sounds a little silly and superficial, but I just don't really enjoy Promethean encounters that much.
I would love for 343 to bring back grunt and elite chatter from halo 1 and 2. Give the prometheans a voice too. Its entertaining and does add to the immersion. Load all of them up with literally hundreds of one liners along with return banter.

I agree, hoping maybe some changes might be done to them with the next halo with the story and all. Though anything to set them apart would be nice, they are difficult to fight but not very fun. Though I will say their weapons are some of my favorite design wise and the smart scope looks great.

Hoping to get a lot more of a athuortity personality out of them in the next game more so than in 5 while in four they were animalistic. Would of been cooler if they were more animalistic but now it's a little late for that to happen.

So im ranked plat 2 right now in slayer.

I go against a team with a onyx 2023... He goes 17 - 1 ................. . ...

Fuck this matchmaking...
Dude I know exactly how you feel. Sorry G0su. One of these days I would like to hit diamond just because. If I played slayer or swat more regularly I think I could manage but the game can be so frustrating I usually stick to warzone. Wish I felt free to use reqs at will but im only maybe halfway through gold packs if that. Way to many armor and helmets left. Yuck.

Mistel

Banned

They've always been a bit lifeless as they don't have the personality even the flood had somewhat more a personality than them.

So much Stronghold in Arena
pique1.png

Dude I know exactly how you feel. Sorry G0su. One of these days I would like to hit diamond just because. If I played slayer or swat more regularly I think I could manage but the game can be so frustrating I usually stick to warzone. Wish I felt free to use reqs at will but im only maybe halfway through gold packs if that. Way to many armor and helmets left. Yuck.

Yeah... Was super frustrating. I just like the 1v1 enganements and potential double triple kills. Those are the satisfying moments for me in halo.

Wz feels like im just a potshot guy from a long distance getting kills on ppl who dont know better. Idk... Im conflicted right now haha

One thing I'd change about REQs is adding the concept of "sets" from CCGs. Like, if you want to pursue the Memories of Reach armors specifically, you can do that by buying Memories of Reach packs. That sorta thing.

Fuchsdh

Well, since no one else in Gold and Plat picks up the Hydra, I've been using it more. There's a lot of spots in Strongholds lesser players just never seem to come from so I've been stacking up plenty of kills with it. Still don't understand why it doesn't merit a power weapon designation alongside snipers and rockets.

So im ranked plat 2 right now in slayer.

I go against a team with a onyx 2023... He goes 17 - 1 ................. . ...

Fuck this matchmaking...

That's how I feel when I'm playing swat and they put me up against champs. Game can be rough at times when putting the odds against you. That's when I just spend some time on warzone assault to cool off and feel like I'm good at the game.

Well, since no one else in Gold and Plat picks up the Hydra, I've been using it more. There's a lot of spots in Strongholds lesser players just never seem to come from so I've been stacking up plenty of kills with it. Still don't understand why it doesn't merit a power weapon designation alongside snipers and rockets.

This is one of my biggest annoyances. Scattershot, shotgun and hydra aren't "tier 3 power weapons" so they are all over a map along with the "real power weapons". It's just to much.

Nowise10

Why is it 8 months after launch and their is no Action Sack Playlist? If you don't want to play competitive try hard, you have either Grifball or Infection. And that is it.

Why. Just want to have some laughs with 2 other friends.

TCKaos

Reach launched with more "classic" FF alongside the Arcade version, but by the end really the Arcade version was the only thing you could play.

The CEA version of Halo and its single-map only FF playlist was great, though. Had a blast with it.

I think with some tweaks Reach's firefight would have been amazing, but the real limitation was that the ammo crate had an infinite amount of ammunition and that there was no way to specify what was in the ordnance drops or where they would drop.

I had a Nightmare Mode gametype that was incredibly fun to play with friends with limited ammo, limited lives and increased AI difficulty. In addition to the ODST skull progression there was also a Blue/Red/Yellow progression where each round would increase the range of vision, accuracy and aggression of the AI. By the end of each set shit was incredibly intense as you all ran out of lives and ammo and had to go grab Covenant weapons just to get by.

Outpost, Unearthed and Waterfront were really really good maps for that gametype.

Cranster

Banned
The Halo servers crapped out again. Halo Wars 2 keeps dropping players and I cannot join any fireteams in Halo 5.

Edit: Can't even go to Arena or Warzone.

Why is it 8 months after launch and their is no Action Sack Playlist? If you don't want to play competitive try hard, you have either Grifball or Infection. And that is it.

Why. Just want to have some laughs with 2 other friends.
I don't know why but I've run into more tryhards in this game than any other Halo. Maybe it's a new skill based matchmaking?

The Halo servers crapped out again. Halo Wars 2 keeps dropping players and I cannot join any fireteams in Halo 5.

Edit: Can't even go to Arena or Warzone.

The Halo Wars 2 Beta is over today was the last day after the 2 days extension time

Edit: Damn my new Avatar looks hot!

I really wish the game only matched you against players of the same rank. Like until you get out of gold you only play gold. Then as soon as you get into platinum you only play platinum.

Or maybe the game only matches you with players within 3 tiers of you. If im gold 3, then I won't play higher than a gold 6 or lower than a gold 1. The latter system can have you playing platinum players as soon as you hit gold 4, but they would only be plat 1 at the highest.

If the population is really a problem right now then obviously neither system would work out too well beyond maybe platinum or diamond.

Last game of warzone assault before I get too burned out and start doing really bad and managed to go off when I got hold of a gun goose inside of armory while defending and held off those suckers for 4 minutes straight. Did die but almost got a running riot in the process and probably annoyed some people on the other team. Halo is fun.

So 4 of us get together for some MCC coop and the fireteams still shit the bed. H3 was 2fps and unplayable. ODST was average too but playable for a mission.

Over to H5 and I bring two mates over for dedis coop...11gb updates for them so no games tonight. FMHL.

Edit: so waiting for a mate to join and go against my better judgement to go ranked slayer...gold 6. Fuck team wins once again. Total bullshit.

Screenshot-Original.png

Redemption. Queue up with a buddy for Arena plat 6 and get matched with two other buddies from H3 days from Aus...2 or 3 games of wrecking shit as a party of 4 and Diamond comes easily. I will admit one of them is a beast going 20+ each game. Felt like Halo of old with better net connections.

For me down under the focused, balanced and expanded has been great. Fantastic even, good WZ and arena connections. A well deserved kudos to 343 on that front finally.

Fuchsdh

I don't get why teammates will quit out of a losing game with only a minute or two to go. What is the point of taking the hit at that point and possibly getting banned?

Ade

I don't get why teammates will quit out of a losing game with only a minute or two to go. What is the point of taking the hit at that point and possibly getting banned?

People who are too stupid to realise a quit hurts your MMR more than a loss.

I'm rank 142 now, but I'm a bit crap and Gold 6 in Team Arena, The amount of abuse I get from (seemingly US based people) because I'm "too shit to be that rank" is astounding.

Blocked and reported 5 people in one session last night..

On the plus side I have like 50+ Ghost and Banshee Ultras so warzone is always fun.

Fuchsdh

People who are too stupid to realise a quit hurts your MMR more than a loss.

I'm rank 142 now, but I'm a bit crap and Gold 6 in Team Arena, The amount of abuse I get from (seemingly US based people) because I'm "too shit to be that rank" is astounding.

Blocked and reported 5 people in one session last night..

On the plus side I have like 50+ Ghost and Banshee Ultras so warzone is always fun.

At least you aren't playing MOBAs. The amount of shit people will give you about "sucking" despite everyone being in the same MMR bracket is pretty exceptional. If you were that much better you wouldn't be playing with these guys.

Top Bottom