• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Holy shit I'm tired of playing against full teams. I don't have fucking time for it. And the upcoming update does jack shit for me. Im probably not going to be playing halo 5 much longer. Its just a waste of time with everything I've got going on. Fucking joke man.

singhr1

means that they obviously are planning it to be pilot-able, but wont outright say it, because they suck at communication

and campaign-tuned, could mean showing up in Halo 6 or whatever supplemental game they work on. DLC is more than likely out of the question.

They don't want to outright say something that may never happen because people like you will give them flak when something doesn't work out :p

Update looks sweet. Glad to hear the Wasp has a bit more differentiating itself in the Req sandbox.
Agreed, having a flying vehicle with durability (and RP cost) somewhere along the lines of a Ghost/Hog/Goose is a great idea. I was worried it would be more of a level 7 REQ.

If it is a reskinned Phaeton, I wonder if the pilot "phases" into it, or if there is a boarding animation (and a skyjacking animation).

Trup1aya

Regarding H5 viewership:

I think the issue is multifaceted. Halo 5's player count isn't the best, the presentation isn't that great, and the advertising isn't great either.

Population: the really needed some aggressive promotions. I'm glad they are finally doing it with the FF update. But I wish they would have done some things sooner and/or more frequently. Free weekends, free MP trials, double RP weekends, that kind of thing.

Presentation: the biggest issue is the reticle in spectator mode. They need to find a way to make it better represent the players accuracy.
The next issue is the down time. No one really wants to see The same BTB montages and forge maps over and over. They did better this week with the Pro skins, and they TRIED to through in a Ryanoob tip video, but the used the wrong version of it.
The NA casting also needs work
They also need to encourage players to stream. The players seem to think it's better to support the Halo channel, but many of them have fans who tune out when the Halo channel is the only way to see the action.

Advertisement: there needs to be a way to launch pro league streams right from inside the game. Just having banners on start up isn't enough. I'd have a 'competitive halo' selection on the main menu that would lead to a page that showed standings and stats, linked to. VODs, as well as forwarded people to open circuit sign ups.

Lren

Liked this weeks CU, particularly for the insight on what's changed for FF since beta and the reasons behind those changes. That sort of thing also intrigues me, hah. Getting giddy just thinking about Wednesday.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why don't teams just concentrate on keeping 2 bases in Strongholds? I know your score goes up by 2 points instead of 1 but seems like it would be easier to defend 2.

the obvious reason is randoms don't know what they are doing.

i think a lot of the pro teams push hard for 3 because being aggressive IS the play that puts the other team on the defensive and actually makes holding at least two caps easier. kind of like how in CTF you should never hang out in your base waiting for the other team to come and try and steal your flag, you're much better off pushing towards their base keeping them away in the first place.

I agree the 9observer mode needs to show the aiming more accurately. Anyone who doesn't play halo 5 and someone see that would think halo is wack.

"O rly you can get a headshot aiming 2 feed from their head? K thnx pass"

Its the small things:p that count ;) ;)

yep.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I usually watch HCS after it airs due the time that it is on and the length of the program. I've been really enjoying it though.

I agree the 9observer mode needs to show the aiming more accurately. Anyone who doesn't play halo 5 and someone see that would think halo is wack.

"O rly you can get a headshot aiming 2 feed from their head? K thnx pass"

Its the small things:p that count ;) ;)

Any observer mode that works over the internet instead of LAN tends to have inaccuracies due to latency, tickrate and other issues, the only exception is CSGO but most of the time it is due to games being played on LAN with single digit latency, and CS offloading spectating to the dedicated HLTV service. It is a lot harder than it seems to be.

BizzyBum

Regarding H5 viewership:

I think the issue is multifaceted. Halo 5's player count isn't the best, the presentation isn't that great, and the advertising isn't great either.

Population: the really needed some aggressive promotions. I'm glad they are finally doing it with the FF update. But I wish they would have done some things sooner and/or more frequently. Free weekends, free MP trials, double RP weekends, that kind of thing.

Presentation: the biggest issue is the reticle in spectator mode. They need to find a way to make it better represent the players accuracy.
The next issue is the down time. No one really wants to see The same BTB montages and forge maps over and over. They did better this week with the Pro skins, and they TRIED to through in a Ryanoob tip video, but the used the wrong version of it.
The NA casting also needs work
They also need to encourage players to stream. The players seem to think it's better to support the Halo channel, but many of them have fans who tune out when the Halo channel is the only way to see the action.

Advertisement: there needs to be a way to launch pro league streams right from inside the game. Just having banners on start up isn't enough. I'd have a 'competitive halo' selection on the main menu that would lead to a page that showed standings and stats, linked to. VODs, as well as forwarded people to open circuit sign ups.

I agree with all of this.

Any observer mode that works over the internet instead of LAN tends to have inaccuracies due to latency, tickrate and other issues, the only exception is CSGO but most of the time it is due to games being played on LAN with single digit latency, and CS offloading spectating to the dedicated HLTV service. It is a lot harder than it seems to be.

Dang. The more you know. Well then ill hush lol

Trup1aya

I don't understand how they show observer mode working flawlessly three months ago, and still not even a hint of when it will be out.

I think the only reason observer mode appeared to work so well is because it was on a local server... Everyone had very low ping.

The overlay was nice, but I don't think the reticle improvements are a feature of observer mode.

They'll either have to 1) use some software wizardry to mask the latency that separates where the player A was according to himself, where he was according to the server, and where he was according to player B or 2) expand the theater file to include each players actual perspective rather than just the server's perspective... Which would require a lot more data...

I think the only reason observer mode appeared to work so well is because it was on a local server... Everyone had very low ping.

The overlay was nice, but I don't think the reticle improvements are a feature of observer mode.

They'll either have to 1) use some software wizardry to mask the latency that separates where the player A was according to himself, where he was according to the server, and where he was according to player B or 2) expand the theater file to include each players actual perspective rather than just the server's perspective... Which would require a lot more data...

There are a truck ton more variables to track if you want to have 1:1 recreation of what the player is seeing remotely, that would have to deal with things like packet loss, latency introduced by ISP gateways, things that are not exactly tracked by the server, all in all the server and client only know the end result they receive, not what happened in between. The bottomline is: creating accurate FPS spectating over non-LAN currently is incredibly hard if not impossible within a reasonable budget. It is also why catching some of the more advanced cheating software in PC FPS games are very hard since you won't be looking at first hand evidence.

Yourr breakinnng nda jorge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!

No I'm not if I only say that there is a new HCFP survey then it's Ok BUT if I reveal any of the content about the survey then in that case yes I would be breaking the NDA, trust me as a Machinima Partner and videogames tester I sign NDA's all the time!

No I'm not if I only say that there is a new HCFP survey then it's Ok BUT if I reveal any of the content about the survey then in that case yes I would be breaking the NDA, trust me as a Machinima Partner and videogames tester I sign NDA's all the time!

Nahhh uhhhh. Even mentioning it even exists(If it even does ;)) breaks nda !!!!!!!!!!!!
Eeeeeeeekkkk!!!!!!

Aaaahhhh!!!! Grelgrlgrlrgrlrgrlrgll!!

Ade

"Trust me im a video gamer tester" is certainly a new one...

Anyways, do we have a ballpark release date for HW1:DE trying to decide if it's worth replaying HW1 now or waiting. Also huzzah, lone wolfed it to Plat in Team Arena

Trup1aya

There are a truck ton more variables to track if you want to have 1:1 recreation of what the player is seeing remotely, that would have to deal with things like packet loss, latency introduced by ISP gateways, things that are not exactly tracked by the server, all in all the server and client only know the end result they receive, not what happened in between. The bottomline is: creating accurate FPS spectating over non-LAN currently is incredibly hard if not impossible within a reasonable budget. It is also why catching some of the more advanced cheating software in PC FPS games are very hard since you won't be looking at first hand evidence.

Yeah that's what I mean by "software wizardry". I don't even think the goal would be to have a true1:1 recreation of what the player is seeing remotely, rather to give the viewer something that could pass as what the player was seeing. So instead of using only the server perspective, you'd use the delta between what the server saw, and what the player saw, to create a completely new image that makes sense to the viewer. Of course there's the issue of 8, 16 or 24 different perspectives to consider...

So yeah, I imagine it would be INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off. And probably not worth the effort in the long run...

Anyways, do we have a ballpark release date for HW1:DE trying to decide if it's worth replaying HW1 now or waiting. Also huzzah, lone wolfed it to Plat in Team Arena

I vote we make this a thing.

Also, nothing has been said about it, but I'm willing to bet it will be released the same time as HW2. Gotta wait.

nilla et al., the Halo community needs you guys!

Dig out those CE/H2 remakes and post them in that thread.

Replay the campaign or the game in general? Jump into the multiplayer again if you want to get your HW fix; it's still populated.

Top Bottom