• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Glass

The Tron map with the ghosts makes me really want a vechile behaviour/speed control for custom games. I'm sure that's a lot easier said then done though. But those ghost/tron bikes moving double the speed would be awesome.

Edit: Team Beyond HCS/Pro League thread is <3 But I sure as hell don't put a step outside onto any other topic there.

they should just let doubles be permanent and make crap like infection, grifball and breakout a fun playlist

Oh yeah because when I want to play infection what I really mean is force me to play that garbage called breakout.

But I do agree doubles should be permanent.

Feels good to be back after a nonsensical ban. If calling someone an elitist after they're dismissing valid criticisms over something is banworthy, then how is this forum still a thing? And what ever happened to good old communication? Like a PM saying, "Hey, Akai is offended by your posts." Then we can have a productive discussion about it.

Good thing my kind heart doesn't hold animosity for long..
except for you Stinkles - server browser when? Save Halo already.

It's fun every time me and a friend are trying to play strongholds and somebody quits out every time on our team making it impossible to win. Almost every other game type is winnable when it's. 3v4 except for strongholds and it's so aggravating to try to keep playing it just to be dog piled by their whole team trying to capture one base cause they know they have an absolute advantage.

belushy

Banned
Speaking of gametypes....

343 remake Extraction but with the default style being just like what AGL used for their competitive stuff.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
giving gametypes like grifball and infection their own lists still strikes me as annoying

Infection is regularly amongst our more popular playlists, and in case you think that's due to it being a social playlist, it was also extraordinarily popular in Halo: Reach matchmaking. Even if these sorts of playlists aren't your exact cup of tea doesn't mean there aren't plenty of folks eager to take a daily sip.

Akai__

They're too unique to be grouped together

You can do it like Bungie did. Only the 3rd Double EXP weekend was always reserved for Grifball. Everything else was rotating randomly.

Speaking of gametypes....

343 remake Extraction but with the default style being just like what AGL used for their competitive stuff.

People liked Extraction and it was used for competetive stuff? Surprising to me, since I never watched Halo 4 competetive stuff anyways. Was the gamemode that good?

You can do it like Bungie did. Only the 3rd Double EXP weekend was always reserved for Grifball. Everything else was rotating randomly.

People liked Extraction and it was used for competetive stuff? Surprising to me, since I never watched Halo 4 competetive stuff anyways. Was the gamemode that good?

Extraction was better than both Strongholds and Breakout.

Karl2177

Infection is regularly amongst our more popular playlists, and in case you think that's due to it being a social playlist, it was also extraordinarily popular in Halo: Reach matchmaking. Even if these sorts of playlists aren't your exact cup of tea doesn't mean there aren't plenty of folks eager to take a daily sip.

I discussed this at length during the 'Grifball' part of my visit to 343i.

My suggestion was to have 2 rotational playlists.

The first would follow Halo 3's highly successful DXP weekend format and rotate Action Sack, Infection, Grifball, Race, Ricochet, etc.as weekend (now weekly) playlists. The most popular of which would have dedicated weeks (Third week of the month is Grifball) with the others sharing the 4th and rare 5th weeks of the month. The 3 week downtime allows each game type to be refined, and have Forge maps rotated in and out with each iteration.

Game variants like this see a higher population when there is a pent up excitement for their eventual return. The Halo 3 DXP weekends would see tens of thousands of Grifball players, while the Halo Reach regular Grifball playlist would see around 225 at any time.

The second rotational weekly playlist would be a Forge showcase featuring candidate maps for the regular playlists, with mini-games/Action Sack candidates tossed in on rare occasions. They kind of do that now but it would help forgers if there was a clearly defined schedule so they can plan their builds well ahead of time, rather than rushing builds like we see now.

belushy

Banned

First link I found. Station 9 was kind of a meh map. Extraction on Haven was probably the best gametype in the whole game. https://youtu.be/Ec-iI-Oan1A?t=53m47s

Also these rosters are crazy. Lethul, Naded, Ryanoob, and Goofy as Infamous.

And the godsquad of H4, Ambush. Snipedown, Formal, Heinz, Pistola...

edit: https://youtu.be/g8cX1Uy0EKc?t=34m27s Found Extraction on Haven. This time featuring Infamous, against Classic (Chig, Mikwen, Roy, APG)

Trup1aya

A lot of pros have said they want extraction back, and it was the only good thing from H4 (in fact better than a lot of things from all halos)

Care to remind me how extraction worked?

edit: nevermind I see there have been posts....

Extraction was better than both Strongholds and Breakout.

Better than breakout, yes. Better than strongholds, no way.

Strongholds his the best competitive gamemode addition in a long time.

Akai__

First link I found. Station 9 was kind of a meh map. Extraction on Haven was probably the best gametype in the whole game. https://youtu.be/Ec-iI-Oan1A?t=53m47s

Also these rosters are crazy. Lethul, Naded, Ryanoob, and Goofy as Infamous.

And the godsquad of H4, Ambush. Snipedown, Formal, Heinz, Pistola...

edit: https://youtu.be/g8cX1Uy0EKc?t=34m27s Found Extraction on Haven. This time featuring Infamous, against Classic (Chig, Mikwen, Roy, APG)

RIP headset users, but LMAO at the Triple Kill.

I totally forgot about this gametype. Never liked it to be honest, but I'm open to anything if that means no more Empire Strongholds.

I hope that one day Halo receives in-depth matchmaking toggles and/or a server browser.

Infection is popular because it's a fun, offshoot gametype from the sweaty matches of ranked playlists. That's where Halo's strength is; its custom games are unmatched as far as console shooters go. Hopefully "Clubs" will help with finding custom games when they come to the dashboard.

belushy

Banned
RIP headset users, but LMAO at the Triple Kill.

I totally forgot about this gametype. Never liked it to be honest, but I'm open to anything if that means no more Empire Strongholds.

Yeah Ryanoob, Goofy, and Naded on the same team is a recipe for loud inaudible screaming. How did Lethul put up with that lol.

This team actually ended up getting 2nd at this tournament, but broke up after I'm pretty sure.

Just wish they would add somethings instead of nothing. Game types are the thing I want most in this game. Should just do where every time they add a new game type they give it its own for a week then put it into the place it fits best. Like if basketball was put into the ball playlist (named grifball) then ricochet into it and make the playlist grow.

But the last thing they need do what they have been doing with team arena, don't like how it's so dedicated to pro players when it's the only objective type playlist for 4v4. Like can anyone play assault in matchmaking anymore due to it being removed in arena?

IHaveIce

Banned

We could start a whole different discussion if you would want to go down the route what was popular in Halo and how it is in H5. ;) ;)

I am aware of the population in infection, doesn't mean I will change my thoughts, I still think either it should be a special playlist or in something like Action Sack.

Action Sack could have a ton of minigames, Infection and Grifball being in there would lure the regulars in but they would find new stuff.

Ofc we wouldn't have to have this debate if we had a custom game browser

Saw this concept on reddit, I dig it. Small but great change on the helmet

gtNt2Bh.png

The proportions on that look insanely fucked up. Like, Halo 2 Chief-tier messed up.

Anyone wants to play instead of talking?

But that's what gaf is known for.

Anyways I would if I could but busy right now with errands. Want to try to get in as much halo play time as possible for preparation of the new update and anytime I have a chance to play with people other than just randoms I'll take happily.

Side note does anyone know how I can get into the halogaf Spartan company? Promise I'll play a lot and help with whatever commendations are needed the most.

I'm at work and may or may not play tonight cause I need to wake up early tomorrow.

Cause I'm going to a cottage with my friends.

Not-so-stealth brag

blamite

We could start a whole different discussion if you would want to go down the route what was popular in Halo and how it is in H5. ;) ;)

I am aware of the population in infection, doesn't mean I will change my thoughts, I still think either it should be a special playlist or in something like Action Sack.

Action Sack could have a ton of minigames, Infection and Grifball being in there would lure the regulars in but they would find new stuff.

Ofc we wouldn't have to have this debate if we had a custom game browser
I don't really want to get involved in the playlist discussion right no but I just wanted to quickly throw out the fact that unless things have changed for H5 (and I don't think there's reason to believe they have), Infection is technically a FFA gametype and so can't be in the same playlist as team games like Grifball.

Madness

This is why playlist counters shouldn't have been removed D'Ellis. The arguing over list favoritism still happens and yet we can only speculate or assume what is really popular etc.

FyreWulff

This is why playlist counters shouldn't have been removed D'Ellis. The arguing over list favoritism still happens and yet we can only speculate or assume what is really popular etc.

The problem with playlist population counters is they can also cause runaway playlist deflation, and sometimes people won't try one if it's low population, even if it would have turned out they liked it...

There's upsides and downsides to them.

giving gametypes like grifball and infection their own lists still strikes me as annoying

Well, they're popular enough to support getting their own list. Also, it sorta makes sense that you wouldn't want Infection or Grifball suddenly showing up in other playlists since they're such a different branch. I mean, Halo 3 had Grifball show up in Action Sack, but that was Action Sack, Grifball was the most normal gametype in that particular playlist.

Also Dave is right, Infection was redonk popular, most if not all my hatemail came from fixing the exploits in Infection maps. A loooooooooooot of people played that mode

Top Bottom