• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

jem0208

Play on an alt and don't care about winning?
I tend to playlist jump all the time so it's be a bit of a pain swapping accounts all the time.

Also, I still want to earn req points...
I kinda get where you're coming from. I go into Arena or Slayer and it feels like the MLG/Hardcore playlists of old, and I had a tendency to avoid those because of how high-tension they usually were; it wasn't so much about winning or losing. While I appreciate how that competitive aspect has benefited the core gameplay so well, playing a good ol' fashioned game of Slayer just mentally wears me out much faster than it did in the past.

And that attitude carried over into Halo 5. I've been trying to play more Slayer recently, but I missed out on ranking in most of the seasons past.

Some kind of solo queue would help a bit. :p
I agree.

I actually really, really enjoy the slayer playlist. I've had some fantastic games on it however it's just too stressful to play most of the time. When I'm in the mood and the matchmaking is feeling kind it's awesome but it's just too tiring to play all the time imo.

Also solo queue would help immensely.

So Overwatch has been out for a while now, are you still playing that or have you gone back to Halo 5? What do you play more of these days?

I want to jump in, but I can't justify spending $60 for it. Waiting for that price drop on console considering I'll probably end up playing it alone more often than not.

So Overwatch has been out for a while now, are you still playing that or have you gone back to Halo 5? What do you play more of these days?

I want to jump in, but I can't justify spending $60 for it. Waiting for that price drop on console considering I'll probably end up playing it alone more often than not.

It’s pretty good. It’s the only FPS I really play atm.

You have:

Competitive play: Ranked mode with seasonal rewards.
Quick play: Pretty much nobody gives a fuck mode (aka social playlist).
Brawl: Changes each week. This week it’s a Rocket League type mode.
Vs A.I.: Just play against the A.I.
Practice: Here you can just play around with any of the characters to learn them.

Also the Matchmaking on PC is actually decent, parties going against parties. I generally solo and a majority of my games are solo players or small groups (2-4) mixed with solo players. I don’t know how it’s on console.

Sorry if old, apparently there is a mini Master Chief on the inside of the Xbox One S, can we get a mega-chief 2D game pls:

http://i.imgur.com/7ws2IN1.png[IMG]

Edit: My Bad:
[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257498[/url]

Tomash

this ranking system is garbage, i know it's been said numerous times but damn

I was a Platinum last month which I felt was way too high for me as I don't really play Halo that much so I was looking forward to losing my placement matches to get gold/silver.

I'm currently 1-7 and somehow I keep playing harder competition. I went 0-5 against all Onyx, they put me against platinums and we narrowly won. Then it puts me back at Onyx and we lose a strongholds 100-6. Cool, so I go back to platinums now right?

I'm currently 17W-32L and I'm still being matched against much better players in Slayer. Last game was against Champ #2, #21, #39 and Onyx player who had 96 win percentage. Every season it took me 20-30 games before matchmaking started matching me against similarly skilled players so I could have around 1.0 K/D and 50 win percentage. After 50 games in this season, that still hasn't happened.

BradC00

why is there still not matching based on party? this shit is insanely brutal as a solo player. every team i'm playing is a to3 or 4.

Tomash

why is there still not matching based on party? this shit is insanely brutal as a solo player. every team i'm playing is a to3 or 4.

Josh Holmes on party restrictions:

"It's definitely not working as well as we would like and it's something we know we need to keep working on. It's just not as easy to solve from a technical & experiential perspective as you might assume. It's something we're committed to improving though."

Hmm idk... idk guys.

Love arena but idk..... I can't take Holmes word for it...

0b4.jpg

Velikost

I was playing a fair bit of Overwatch on PC for roughly the first couple months it was out, but only because that's what a group of my friends were paying. My buddy and I have recently gotten back into Halo 5 though, and I was previously dipping into it weekly since Firefight dropped. I don't think Overwatch is worth 60 bucks, and I don't ever solo queue in it, though that might change for the next couple of weeks so I can have more chances at those dumbass Summer items.

Personally I wouldn't even pick it up if I was playing it solo, but I find shit teammates incredibly frustrating, and I see playing losing matches as a waste of time, even in Casual. I don't like solo queuing in Halo either, but at least there's still some fun to be had there

I just got the June 2016 season emblem. I didn't rank in any of the playlists.

Guess just playing 10 matches in general satisfies the game's coding behind the rigorous process that grants this exclusive item to the prestige "allegedly ranked" players.

Cheers. Let'swork out a time. Fuchsdh and I got to Oracle last night.

I'll be back from Maui tomorrow. It'll probably be super late, though, so maybe this weekend could work out.

DJ Gunner

A common misconception, it's less about winning and more about the playstyles, behaviors, and attitudes that come from it. A ranked playlist makes every player sweaty and raises the stress on multiple levels: Am I helping my team? I need more kills! Shit, I don't want to receive death threats after this.. Wow my team sucks and my rank is going to drop because of it. Playing against coordinated teams again, why do I even bother playing this game? etc. and so forth

The game is in dire need of a true 4v4 unranked Team Arena/Slayer playlist.

I've noticed Slayer is a lot less sweaty than Arena. As such, I treat Slayer as my social playlist

Fuchsdh

At this point the Halo TV show should be part of the HaloGAF cycle. "Hey remember that?" "What happened to it is it dead?" "No, X from Microsoft said it's still on." "Oh."

(Wait 2-3 months, and repeat.)

If it actually was dead they would have cut bait and said so at this point, especially since they had no problem dropping the Xbox One TV stuff immediately.

Placed into Onyx for Arena, usually it places me into Diamond and I have to work my way up, still haven't placed in Slayer, but I was Onyx last season.

Edit: And now I'm placing against nothing but champions and getting destroyed, good times.

Welfare

First match of Slayer today and one guy on my team quit before the match started and a second one left in the first 10 seconds.

Fuck that.

belushy

Banned
For those who aren't keeping up with Post-Season 1 team changes here are a few teams running together right now:

Bold is new player (note they are just running together. not official changes, they are testing the waters. chances are most of these teams don't stick)

EnvyUs: Mikwen, Pistola, Rayne, Snipedown

Team Liquid: Stellur, Eco, El Town, Suspector

Evil Geniuses: Roy, Lunchbox, Contra, PreDevoNator

Allegiance: Heinz, Ryanoob, Danoxide, Commonly

Orgs are not official for each team, however I think the rule is that a team can keep its spot only if two original members are still on the team. In RoyBox + Contra/Devon's case, I just chose EG because I don't see Roy and Lunchbox leaving the EG org.

-----

Right now, new Liquid v new EG https://www.twitch.tv/cntra

For those who aren't keeping up with Post-Season 1 team changes here are a few teams running together right now:

Bold is new player (note they are just running together. not official changes, they are testing the waters. chances are most of these teams don't stick)

Orgs are not official for each team, however I think the rule is that a team can keep its spot only if two original members are still on the team. In RoyBox + Contra/Devon's case, I just chose EG because I don't see Roy and Lunchbox leaving the EG org.

-----

Wtf why would Commonly downgrade like that

belushy

Banned
Wtf why would Commonly downgrade like that

I don't think he likes Ninja too much. I don't understand why that of all teams, though. If I was him I'd try and get on E6 in place of Cratos or Shooter. He was originally going to team with them before deciding on RNG.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

-----

Snipedown with NV is interesting.

Cranster

Banned
After lot's of frustration I completed the Halo 2 LASO playlist today. The last few levels were definitely a breeze once Gravemind was completed.

EYEL1NER

Finally back from vacay and will be playing again soon. I got back Thursday evening but 25-ish hours of travelling did a number on me and I crashed hard. I am gonna miss everyone and everything from my vacation and cannot wait to go back to the PI soon, but I have been missing me some Halo as well and am excited to play again.

Question for Halo GAF. Ive played Halo from the beginning, and have beaten every game on heroic. I decided to try and go though all the games on legendary the other day and its been quite daunting. It took me a couple of hours to get through the first level in CE, and my main issue is dealing with more than 1 Elite at a time. Is there any stratagy for getting through these games on legendary or is it just a matter of getting good?

Im 35 years old and i dont see myself getting more accurate but if there is a better way to approach these encounters I'm open to any advice.

Akai__

Those team changes are... something...

Hope the Bullettin today has finally some news about new content. I kinda lost interest in playing lately. Somehow can't be bothered to do my placement matches, after the last Season was 2 months long. Anybody else feeling like this?

Trup1aya

Those team changes are... something...

Hope the Bullettin today has finally some news about new content. I kinda lost interest in playing lately. Somehow can't be bothered to do my placement matches, after the last Season was 2 months long. Anybody else feeling like this?

I've got a couple things keeping me from playing.

The lack of new updates is one. Another is the longer season removes urgency. And the last reason is my son did something to my controller that causes the RS to stick in the down position occasionally, throwing off my shot.

Hopefully there is some map content in the works. It kinda sucks that of all the DLC releases, non of the only 2 of the 4v4 maps were any good, and only 1 was competitively via (and even it has some balancing issues)

Even if you are going to go with the "remix" philosophy making a well balanced, competitively viable map should be key to the design goals.

Fuchsdh

Overcharge - headshot is 100% required in Legendary playthrough. You will not be able to kill anything without it.

Not really necessary in Halo 1, since you can outrange every Covenant enemy, and by the end of the game a shotgun/pistol combo is the better option.

If you have good aim you can also stunlock any Elite into oblivion with the Plasma Rifle and walk up and beat it to death. Plus, you have shedloads of grenades so you can make enemies scatter and get ripped apart like confetti.

Halo 1 Legendary is way easier than any other game bar ODST.

Ade

Halo 1 Legendary is way easier than any other game bar ODST.

Legendary or laso? I only ask because I've started trying to solo all the titles on legendary for thr first time. H5 was easy and I'm most of the way through 4.

One and two are infuriating.

FyreWulff

Legendary or laso? I only ask because I've started trying to solo all the titles on legendary for thr first time. H5 was easy and I'm most of the way through 4.

One and two are infuriating.

Halo 1 is one of the easiest because it's the easiest one to "rock paper scissors".

Keep a plasma weapon, and you can stunlock most enemies and kill easily.
Carry a secondary human weapon, like a shotty, and it melts Flood.

Then let 2 way fights thin out both sides, and walk through afterwards.

Halo 2 just has encounters where the designer went "fuck you and everything you stand for"

Halo 1 is one of the easiest because it's the easiest one to "rock paper scissors".

Keep a plasma weapon, and you can stunlock most enemies and kill easily.
Carry a secondary human weapon, like a shotty, and it melts Flood.

Then let 2 way fights thin out both sides, and walk through afterwards.

Halo 2 just has encounters where the designer went "fuck you and everything you stand for"

the wraiths before you get to the scarab fight... fuuuck that on legendary

Top Bottom