• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

IHaveIce

Banned
But, correct me if I'm wrong, people aren't asking for 343's solution. They just want LAN play. Like we had since CE. I understand the XB1's limitations, but you're forgetting the extra cost for decent venue internet once you have to make sure you have a solid internet connection at all times for dozens of xboxes. AND then a stream as well if you want your LAN to matter to anyone who isn't there, so not only do you need a reliable downstream connection with reliable up for the dozens of xboxes, but now you need a decent sized upstream pipe for the stream. At most venues that's a significant cost. I don't know why having a "fake dedi" provided by 343 for tourneys over a certain size would be a significantly larger expense.

Or just, you know, allow for LAN play. Or do like PC games have for decades and allow for one machine to be in server mode on the LAN.
The tournament lan server 343 uses is basically the last thing you mentioned.
It is also the same solution that bigger Esport titles use like League of Legends.

The tournament lan server 343 uses is basically the last thing you mentioned.
It is also the same solution that bigger Esport titles use like League of Legends.

That's what I thought. No idea why it's so hard. This gen is so many instances of 1 step forward, 2 back.

Now I feel terrible considering I only have Gringo to compare...

Hey!

robin-hood-men-in-tights-swag-o.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
That's what I thought. No idea why it's so hard. This gen is so many instances of 1 step forward, 2 back.
Yep, so far no explanation for missing LAN real LAN on consoles or in games makes sense to me. There are a lot of games where tenporary guest accounts work so I think offline profiles wouldn't be the problem anynore

Yep, so far no explanation for missing LAN real LAN on consoles or in games makes sense to me. There are a lot of games where tenporary guest accounts work so I think offline profiles wouldn't be the problem anynore

How is Gears supposedly doing its "real" LAN? I read that it's different from simply setting up a server for the specific room.

I've also read that Rod Fergusson does whatever the fuck he wants, and MS will always indulge his whims so maybe they got custom Xboxes for their LANs or something.

How is Gears supposedly doing its "real" LAN? I read that it's different from simply setting up a server for the specific room.

I've also read that Rod Fergusson does whatever the fuck he wants, and MS will always indulge his whims so maybe they got custom Xboxes for their LANs or something.

He said MS opened up an exception and gave them the tools to make real Lan. Gears has real Lan, its true. How 343 doesnt have? I dont know

He said MS opened up an exception and gave them the tools to make real Lan. Gears has real Lan, its true. How 343 doesnt have? I dont know

I think that's where a lot of the anger and frustration is coming from, especially after it was announced Gears would have it. Why one flagship title would have it another would not is beyond me.

How the fuck do you go 1-19 in Super Fiesta? I mean you start with power weapons. You’re telling me out of 19 times they didn’t get one decent weapon spawn? I mean it’s just Super Fiesta, so whatever. Lol

Fuck this I'm watching the replay from his pov. He even had a Prophets' Bane, lmao dead.

jem0208

I think I've figured out why I've been sucking so much lately.

Apparently I've got a base level of 175 ms of lag, that doesn't even take into account connecting to servers in the US etc...

Akai__

I think I've figured out why I've been sucking so much lately.

Apparently I've got a base level of 175 ms of lag, that doesn't even take into account connecting to servers in the US etc...

What do you mean by that? Your Xbox One Network Details show 175ms or 350ms+?

Because if the former, Network Details always connect to the main XBL Server, which is on the US West Coast. About 170ms is what you should get there.

Trup1aya

I remember when Bungie used to be able to influence MS policy...

Anyway, what's the technical deal with the Lack of true LAN support this gen. I'd heard it had to do with security issues, but I can't find anything support on that.

jem0208

What do you mean by that? Your Xbox One Network Details show 175ms or 350ms+?

Because if the former, Network Details always connect to the main XBL Server, which is on the US West Coast. About 170ms is what you should get there.
Huh, well ignore what just said then.

Regarding LAN I was under the impression that it’s perfectly possible on the X1 with the one caveat being that they still need to be connected to the internet to ping XBL servers. The reason H5 can’t do traditional LAN is because it lacks any form of peer to peer networking, as such all games need to be hosted on a dedicated server which means having one xbox act as host isn’t possible.

At least that’s what I’ve gathered based off of what I’ve read. Correct me if I’m wrong.

love prophets bane, standing right in front of people trying not to blow my load too early :)

Agreed. Played a game where I sat in the only base the enemy team had and just slaughtered them all one by one. By the time I got the sixth or seventh kill they were spraying their SMGs trying to find me. Managed to get all ten kills and then killed two more with just the handle.

Reminds me of why I love the sword.

Karl2177

I know Star Wars Battlefront 1 and I think Battlefront 2 had a setting where one copy of the game acted as a dedicated server. You couldn't play on that console, but it was doing the processing work. In theory Halo 5 could do something similar, assuming they aren't using more than what the xbone is capable of. Warzone would be something different because they have to connect to the REQ services, but as for Arena I'm not sure what would be so demanding that an xbone couldn't handle it.

Akai__

You are still right, though. Easily 100ms ping against East Coast and about 170ms against West Coast US players. That's also not counting stuff like Game Delay, Server Tickrates and whatever else there is left.

I really want those ping times in my UI and I want to know the Server Tickrate times.

Trup1aya

Regarding LAN I was under the impression that it’s perfectly possible on the X1 with the one caveat being that they still need to be connected to the internet to ping XBL servers. The reason H5 can’t do traditional LAN is because it lacks any form of peer to peer networking, as such all games need to be hosted on a dedicated server which means having one xbox act as host isn’t possible.

At least that’s what I’ve gathered based off of what I’ve read. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Well this is also something I'd heard before. But I can't wrap my head around why anyone would develop a game that is completely devoid of any P2P functionality- even if Dedis would handle all Matchmaking.

I don't have any reason to believe that a H5 match is any more taxing that any other game. And even if it was, why not provide the option to use an extra Xbox as a dedicated server

I know Star Wars Battlefront 1 and I think Battlefront 2 had a setting where one copy of the game acted as a dedicated server. You couldn't play on that console, but it was doing the processing work. In theory Halo 5 could do something similar, assuming they aren't using more than what the xbone is capable of. Warzone would be something different because they have to connect to the REQ services, but as for Arena I'm not sure what would be so demanding that an xbone couldn't handle it.

I was wondering about this too...

Trup1aya

I just got this game for 15 dollars. What should I know about competitive multiplayer! I haven't played since Halo 3. I missed Halo a lot.

Powerweapons spawn on set intervals. Learn their locations and spawn times.

Powerups spawn 2 minutes after they are picked up. Be there or be square.

Tier 2 weopons respawn 10s after being depleted and dropped.

Sprint, clamber, and thruster add some uncharacteristic new ways to navigate the maps. Learning the ins and outs movement is key to taking things to the next level.

TeamBeyond.net has some excellent training videos on YouTube.

Magnum is your best friend. Git Gud. The AR is extremely useful in close range situations (six shots + melee = kill).

Crouching while strafing is very effective

jem0208

You are still right, though. Easily 100ms ping against East Coast and about 170ms against West Coast US players. That's also not counting stuff like Game Delay, Server Tickrates and whatever else there is left.

I really want those ping times in my UI and I want to know the Server Tickrate times.
Yeah, my gameplay goes from reasonably decent to bottom of the barrel if I’m on a US sever. Makes playing late at night a massive pain.
I just got this game for 15 dollars. What should I know about competitive multiplayer! I haven't played since Halo 3. I missed Halo a lot.
Top tip 1:

Make sure you use a control scheme with crouch on the left stick. Being able to crouch to dodge shots can make all the difference in a 1v1 situation.

Top tip 2:

The AR isn’t totally useless. Don’t be afraid to whip it out for a close quarters encounter or if you surprise flank someone.

Top tip 3:

Spend some time learning the different movement and traversal mechanics. Things like thrust sliding (get to maximum sprint speed, hit thrust then hit crouch) can make a massive difference. Learning the maps and all their intricacies is especially needed in this game due to all the different options available. There’s loads of good Youtube videos with useful jumps and tricks out there.

Well this is also something I'd heard before. But I can't wrap my head around why anyone would develop a game that is completely devoid of any P2P functionality- even if Dedis would handle all Matchmaking.

I don't have any reason to believe that a H5 match is any more taxing that any other game. And even if it was, why not provide the option to use an extra Xbox as a dedicated server
Presumably 343 just didn’t bother adding any P2P networking into the game. Maybe they decided it wasn’t worth the resources when the only time it would be used would be for LANs.

Trup1aya

Presumably 343 just didn’t bother adding any P2P networking into the game. Maybe they decided it wasn’t worth the resources when the only time it would be used would be for LANs.

Which would be a strange attitude when, in the absence of Splitscreen, LAN would be the only way to have any sort of local MP. Also LAN events are a vital part of any competitive scene. It's the only way to maintain a local scene- which feeds the broader scene.

All of the major community organized H5 events have been marred by technical difficulties- most notable G4G which had the H5 tournament cancelled completely- all due to lack of P2P.

The quality of this game has radically nose dived in the last month or so. What is going on? I say this as someone who loves the game and think 343 did an awesome job. The game freezes once a session now (can still dashboard), search FFA cause arena is just pathetic with full teams running rampant, "not enough players to find a game", search expanded, feels like I'm playing against ghosts, bullets go through people, get shot through walls and nades have 1.0 second input lag. Go back to arena, nearly all games are against at least two onyx players (I was never pitted against onyx until last month). Hear American voices at end of games near exclusively. Pistol is now worthless as always on foreign server. BTB 75% of games a slaughterfest with blocks of NEET's rotating power up and weapon spawns against the clueless and the un-teamed.

The only time I've had genuinely enjoyable sessions with this game in the last two months is in the unranked assault playlist and the unranked multi team playlist.

I was tempted but figured Id go with one month first. Looks like Ill be ordering more based on those pictures

I always wanted to get a lootcrate but Mexico was not part of the shipping countries actually the Halo lootcrate only ships to the US thankfully FATstronaut is going to help me sending me the crates, when I saw the Halo Legendary edition I knew that I had to get them all, I'm a huge Halo fan and collector :)

Akai__

Decided to try out Infection again only for people to cheat on us, by getting out of map and under geometry... Why does this shit keep happening to me?

Ade

I always wanted to get a lootcrate but Mexico was not part of the shipping countries actually the Halo lootcrate only ships to the US thankfully FATstronaut is going to help me sending me the crates, when I saw the Halo Legendary edition I knew that I had to get them all, I'm a huge Halo fan and collector :)

That's good of him, they do at least ship to some non US locations (I'm in the UK).

I'm a big fan, but a poor fan! I get the occasional lootcrate, my little boy nabbed that Halo 5 Ammo Tin that came in a regular loot crate last year and has designated it his "special box" where he keeps his precious things safe from his sisters. Id imagine ill end up loosing much of the Halocrates to him!

Top Bottom