• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Honestly, I think this variant of Firefight wouldn't work well with revives. If there were a survival-based variant it'd be a different story, but as-is the encounter design and the life-death loop feels a lot like Spartan Ops to me - you have loadouts, if you die you more or less lose any equipment you earned, shitton of enemies and a very high risk of engaging targets out in the open, etc. Most of the time it'd probably make more sense to respawn in a safe location, rather than falling to your knees right behind Ultra Pink Gold Hyper Warden and then hoping a teammate picked you up before he noticed.

Also: make a Mythic variant of Endurance-of-Will that triple-wields a Heartseeker and two Closed Fists in its pilot baby hands, pls.

BKAjrlM.png

First DMR at SR63... and it is REQ7 rip.

Caja 117

Tyrant is ok.

I wish they'd open up the middle a bit more though to provide cleaner sightlines. Idk what their deal is with making maps with tight doorways and corridors but it does not make for good engagements.... There's also plenty of unoccupied space there too. There's like 2 giant holes for no reason lol

Yes, but the sightlines seems to be a staple for Halo now, even Torque suffers from this too.

Speaking of this Map, that has a lot of potential,there is a bunch of things that take away from enjoying playing this map, and just becomes a map I'm praying not to get: first is that , this map transform into a different map trough the game, the concept of the drums coming up and down changes the dynamic of the map, some might like it, I really don't. the new Hole in the middle is good, but you have in Stronghold a way to go to top mid whereas is different for other gametypes. The idea of a big empty backroom is something I don't like either, which is now serving for camping opposite players in objective gametypes and taking away the two hammers was a good decision, but adding a sword with speed boost kind of make this change moot.

Fuchsdh

Maybe, but I don't think they get that the enemy can actually capture the base.

Depending on your REQs, it's a far better idea to circle around back and prevent a mass clumping of Knights in the base that will shred people. The downside is that it requires coordination with people who remain inside to deal with stragglers and prevent the cap.

Gravity hammer is basically the One True REQ for that phase. If you have a special REQ variant of it, so much the better. Just go swinging by one of the doors.

Also: rocket hogs are excellent as long as someone is covering your flanks.

Let's just add a Bonus round to the current WZ FF.

Only unlockable if you beat the 3 wardens with 2 minutes still left on the clock or something like that. idk, make up some parameter to meet like how you achieve medals.

Make the bonus round where you only have 1 life, so if you die you don't respawn. Have the intermission a littlel longer so people can choose their reqs.

IDK just spouting some crap.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Depending on your REQs, it's a far better idea to circle around back and prevent a mass clumping of Knights in the base that will shred people. The downside is that it requires coordination with people who remain inside to deal with stragglers and prevent the cap.

Gravity hammer is basically the One True REQ for that phase. If you have a special REQ variant of it, so much the better. Just go swinging by one of the doors.

All about dat Wraith.

Yeah, it's just unclear for randoms what they have to do. It's easy to survive that round if you have people actively working on staying inside the base. If everyone spawns a vehicle and just sits outside hoping to pick off the enemy, you're going to lose.

Heck, having Palmer call out percentages would probably alert players that "oh shit, we need to stay inside the base". She does it in regular Warzone, might as well do it here.

Plus, Light of Urs mops 'em up very nicely. Leaves your walls and floors with a healthy green glow.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, it's just unclear for randoms what they have to do. It's easy to survive that round if you have people actively working on staying inside the base. If everyone spawns a vehicle and just sits outside hoping to pick off the enemy, you're going to lose.

Heck, having Palmer call out percentages would probably alert players that "oh shit, we need to stay inside the base". She does it in regular Warzone, might as well do it here.

Plus, Light of Urs mops 'em up very nicely. Leaves your walls and floors with a healthy green glow.

Finally called one in for a match. Definitely do nice damage. Also called in the SPNKR-EM for the first time. 4 shot mags absolutely waste the Hunter Elders. Probably most excited about the match because I don't feel like I wasted my REQ energy unlike PvP. Will probably call in a lot more shotguns, plasma casters and the like since there are much lower stakes. I have a half-dozen armored tanks I never use in regular Warzone.

pieface

So just had a game on warzone firefight... That's definitely one mode I will never played again. So boring, so easy. It's way too short too.

Its fun but i feel like the warzone maps dont have enough cover for this. Often times i get hammered cause theres just no cover and the AI dont miss a shot. Its frustrating especially after u use a REQ.

Considering balance isn't as much of a concern in PvE, Firefight-exclusive REQ stuff would be neat. I actually kind of wish we had an armor mod that gave us extra reserve ammunition like in Halo 4.

I can get behind that. Or just increase power weapon ammon in firefight only.

Ooh! Or, maybe you could get specific rewards depending on optional / sub-objectives, or by finishing rounds in a certain time. For example:

Complete round 2 in 2:30 or less: all players are granted Speed Boost until the end of Round 3.

Complete a round using only weapons (e.g. no grenades or melee): all REQ stations will refill any weapon, not just Loadout weaponry.

Complete a Jackal round without disabling any of their shields: players get an Overshield and quad weakpoint damage until the end of the next round.

Complete a round with players in vehicles without getting destroyed: players have their vehicles healed.

You could probably rig Bonus Rounds to trigger in a similar way.

Mix

Ooh! Or, maybe you could get specific rewards depending on optional / sub-objectives, or by finishing rounds in a certain time. For example:

Complete round 2 in 2:30 or less: all players are granted Speed Boost until the end of Round 3.

Complete a round using only weapons (e.g. no grenades or melee): all REQ stations will refill any weapon, not just Loadout weaponry.

Complete a Jackal round without disabling any of their shields: players get an Overshield and quad weakpoint damage until the end of the next round.

Complete a round with players in vehicles without getting destroyed: players have their vehicles healed.

You could probably rig Bonus Rounds to trigger in a similar way.

This would be pretty fun. While I'd like to see more variety including a bonus round or what have you, I'm pretty happy with where it's at right now. Who knows maybe in the future they can implement more variety to game modes, i.e: Standard, Party, Hardcore, etc.

Fuchsdh

Considering balance isn't as much of a concern in PvE, Firefight-exclusive REQ stuff would be neat. I actually kind of wish we had an armor mod that gave us extra reserve ammunition like in Halo 4.

You can equip those REQs at least. Having a DMR with more ammo and a larger clip paired with a BR with energy bayonet is a killer combo with the later rounds.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Who needs extra ammo?

Damage boost in WZ: "Damnit... where are... they? *dead*"
Damage boost in WZFF: *kill* *kill* *kill* *kill* *kill* *kill*

Although I stand by my recommendation to have quicker energy generation in early rounds to be able to use more 2-3energy REQs without worrying about having enough for big vehicles later, especially since if you die trying to use one your gun is verrrry likely to be gone when you get back.

Caja 117

Pray for me gaf.

K58od.jpg
Cant see anything.
EDIT: ohh dam.

Guys I having a lot of trouble cleaning up kills with the pistol (meaning getting headshots) any recommendations? Swat perhaps?

BTW, to those that use the elite controller do you guys change the Trigger preasure numbers? I change it to make it more tight on the squeeze, but this doesn't seem to translate well with those charge up guns like the Plasma pistol.

Dice

Guys I having a lot of trouble cleaning up kills with the pistol (meaning getting headshots) any recommendations? Swat perhaps?
Set the dead zones to 0%, maybe up sensitivity if you have trouble keeping up with their movements, focus more on getting the vertical correct with your right stick aim and then use left stick movement to fine-tune the horizontal.

That last one is not a pro habit to be relying on forever but a good starting point technique until your right stick is more controlled, and it gets you used to using both at once which works kind of like playing piano.

Caja 117

Set the dead zones to 0%, maybe up sensitivity if you have trouble keeping up with their movements, focus more on getting the vertical correct with your right stick aim and then use left stick movement to fine-tune the horizontal.

That last one is not a pro habit to be relying on forever but a good starting point technique until your right stick is more controlled, and it gets you used to using both at once which works kind of like playing piano.

I will try this, I'm fine with the BR, but with the pistol a lot of time I see a one shot player and fail to get the head shot while only getting body shots.

link1201

Does damage boost affect the vehicle you're using as well as your weapons?

@stinkles What part of the world are you in, so I know never to go there?

I hate snakes.

BraXzy

Does damage boost affect the vehicle you're using as well as your weapons?

@stinkles What part of the world are you in, so I know never to go there?

I hate snakes.

I want to say Snakeland, but it could be Australia. If not, its definitely a zoo.

Sou Da

Entire team quits, I quit because I don't want to sit through the the entire stronghold match

Next game I get kicked out of the match at the very end and it now says I'm banned. I can't even check the timer.

link1201

Entire team quits, I quit because I don't want to sit through the the entire stronghold match

Next game I get kicked out of the match at the very end and it now says I'm banned. I can't even check the timer.
If you go home select quit Halo 5 then load it up again it should pop up indicating how long of a ban it is.

Vico

So, I'm absolutely sure the game stopped counting my progression on Warden kill commendation. Just got two more in a game, and it didn't count (and it's probably the fifth and sixth ones that aren't added to my commendation). Is this a known issue for some people or what?

Karl2177

So, I'm absolutely sure the game stopped counting my progression on Warden kill commendation. Just got two more in a game, and it didn't count (and it's probably the fifth and sixth ones that aren't added to my commendation). Is this a known issue for some people or what?

Yeah. I've had quite a few that didn't count in the past.

Dice

So the other day in Firefight I had a weird moment where the whole game slowed down. I was just shooting at jackal but everything was going like 1/3 speed, so I recorded it. I looked at the video and it's running full speed. I have two theories:

1) My X-Men powers are awakening and I will soon have lightning fast reflexes compared to you pathetic mortals.
2) The Xbox record only saves a certain amount of frames out of every 60 and then presumes they initially displayed at 60hz, so it misses slowdown.

So the other day in Firefight I had a weird moment where the whole game slowed down. I was just shooting at jackal but everything was going like 1/3 speed, so I recorded it. I looked at the video and it's running full speed. I have two theories:

1) My X-Men powers are awakening and I will soon have lightning fast reflexes compared to you pathetic mortals.
2) The Xbox record only saves a certain amount of frames out of every 60 and then presumes they initially displayed at 60hz, so it misses slowdown.

It's just undercranking for that sweet, sweet Mad Max: Fury Road aesthetic. The final Warzone map is tinted electric blue.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Played some Warzone Firefight. It's a decent PvE experience, but it doesn't really deserve to be called Firefight. It sets up the wrong expectations. I hope 343 works on delivering a real Firefight a la ODST.

Number 1.

Top Bottom