• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

jem0208

Two things Firefight needs is more difficultly and more objective diversity.

I'd love to see an objective where a Warthog spawns at one home base and the aim is to drive it to the other base without letting it get destroyed. Stuff like that. At the moment it's pretty much all just "Kill x number of x enemies" or "Kill the bosses".

Strider

My biggest fear is them adding a revive mechanic to firefight and I see that feedback everywhere.

There is absolutely no way I want to rely on some randos to get me back up if I die.

Strider

I still am a big believer in difficulty tiers tho.

I wouldn't mind seeing a harder difficulty that includes revives/limited lives for sure. Also they could make it available at anytime but once a week on completion you get a ridiculously good req pack with high chances for legendaries/mythics. Think of it as a weekly version of a raid lol only Halo/Firefight style.

Trup1aya

Here's why support should never stop spawning until the round is over

http://m.imgur.com/xlBk1qc

Why doesn't this warden have phaetons, Knights, Soldiers (some in ONI Guass Hogs), supporting him?

I wouldn't mind seeing a harder difficulty that includes revives/limited lives for sure. Also they could make it available at anytime but once a week on completion you get a ridiculously good req pack with high chances for legendaries/mythics. Think of it as a weekly version of a raid lol only Halo/Firefight style.

This would be good too.

My biggest fear is them adding a revive mechanic to firefight and I see that feedback everywhere.

There is absolutely no way I want to rely on some randos to get me back up if I die.

Ideally it would be combined with a stock of lives. If a teammate gets to you in X amount of time you can get a free revive, else you can bleed out quickly and expend a stock.

Could potentially add a nice element of risk - when your buddies are overwhelmed, do you wait for the free revive, leaving your team a player down and more vulnerable, or respawn immediately (and with your reqs) at the cost of a stock, to help them. I feel like a revive mechanic would be a nice way of bolstering a team feeling.

I adore this idea though. Weekend Arena playlist, and a weekend 'Warzone Raid' playlist, of bizarre/unique objectives and difficulty.

here to echo what others have said, needs an insane amount more of objective variety.

probably needs more enemies in vehicles too. the last round is just everyone in a tank trying to get last shots on wardens. mythic warden is cool but doesnt really pose a threat to 8 fucking tanks.

and its too easy, until you have to defend the garage. then its a challenge. but otherwise its kind of a joke. which maybe is a good thing idk, but right now,too easy.

completing round 5 should be an accomplishment. throw in a bronze req pack for beating it, and make it and the ramp up to it MUCH harder

BraXzy

Gotta be honest I totally forgot there was a timer after the first round, never really had to worry about taking too long.

Strider

here to echo what others have said, needs an insane amount more of objective variety.

Yep yep yep. Variety is the key to longterm play for me... More enemies, more objectives, more bosses, etc. Fortunately they still have time to add more before the full launch and can also add more after it releases.

Tweaks can and need to be made for sure but I really like the foundation so far.

Yep yep yep. Variety is the key to longterm play for me... More enemies, more objectives, more bosses, etc. Fortunately they still have time to add more before the full launch and can also add more after it releases.

Tweaks can and need to be made for sure but I really like the foundation so far.

they mentioned on the stream we arent like, close to release. like they stressed early betas really helped them out like they did a year before launch. so its def this summer and not like, next month.

Which, i think, is good. just like you said i really like this if this is the foundation. they are changing the way firefight works, which is fine, but i really hope they realize the fun of firefight is the insane variety of things happening.

i really dont think they need multiple difficulty levels, i think they just need enough variety that you never know what difficulty youre gonna get. Maybe this objective is kill 100 crawlers, maybe the next is kill 495787 wardens with the halo 2 pistol. just make it so every time i launch the playlist im in for something different 343

link1201

I mind it. I want to play a full match. Not potentially spawn into a match that some incompetent team is about to lose.
I'm not a huge fan either especially if I use a boost that wants me to be in the top 50%. I hate having to play catch up.
Also Imo it may be more fun with less people more kills for me.

Trup1aya

I'm kinda sad that this beta has to end so soon...

Just let me keep playing it until the full version releases. It is a ton of fun, even with all the issues.

This mode has SOOO much potential going forward. I can't stress how happy I am at 343i's dedication to making this game better. Makes me truly believe that I'll be playing it longer than any Halo before it.

Here's my suggestions that would make WZFF perfect

1) keep spawning enemies, until the round is over, even if the objective is near completion.
2) many more enemy vehicles, and vehicle variants
3) incorporate CTF, Assualt, and strongholds, defend the core style objectives
4) throw in some Insurrectionists, count them as marine kills, have them using a variety of weapon and UNSC vehicle variants
5) more rounds, that get much harder.
6) let players turn on "skulls" to make the match harder for themselves for a chance at more Reqs and/or as weekly challenge.
7) let the enemies use req weapons.
8) enemies should put more effort into stopping vehicles.
9) rather than limiting lives (I think that should be reserved for the traditional firefight mode they haven't announce yet :p ) they should experiment with having deaths cost req points... That could potentially add some needed difficulty.

Fuchsdh

I highly doubt that's going to happen. 343 is catering the mode to a broad range of players and that means dealing with randoms on your team. Yeah I'd love classic Firefight in Halo 5 but I make concessions to reality. We had "classic Firefight" in Reach and guess what? All you ended up playing was Firefight Arcade.

FireFight -

1st game - 1 guy trolls me and spartan charges me away from REQ stations as i sift through the menu to get a power weapon. It was quite annoying.
They then proceed to all jump in Warthogs on Round 3 and drive around the Garage. We lost becuase it was only me in the Garage trying to actually defend.

2nd game - Breeze. Wardens went down easy when a few gents had tanks and a banshee. I attempted a suicide ghost run and successfully completed my goal.

Felt like Round 3 was harder than killing the 2 knights that proceeded to spawn the 3 wardens in Round 5.

Maybe because of the req levels. - yeah thats it.

FireFight -

1st game - 1 guy trolls me and spartan charges me away from REQ stations as i sift through the menu to get a power weapon. It was quite annoying.
They then proceed to all jump in Warthogs on Round 3 and drive around the Garage. We lost becuase it was only me in the Garage trying to actually defend.

2nd game - Breeze. Wardens went down easy when a few gents had tanks and a banshee. I attempted a suicide ghost run and successfully completed my goal.

Felt like Round 3 was harder than killing the 2 knights that proceeded to spawn the 3 wardens in Round 5.

Maybe because of the req levels. - yeah thats it.

defending the garage is miles ahead the harder objective in firefight so far

They definitely need more non-just-kill - stuff objectives. Those are too easy, even with the time limit.

Also, either a spawn limit or the revive with longer timers things are needed (maybe both). Too easy to drown them in bodies atm.

BraXzy

Something that could be cool is if there were multiple small objectives to defend in one round, maybe there's mini cores dotted about, so the group would have to split into two.. It'd mix things up a little bit so it's not just everyone run to the one spot with tanks.

Tawpgun

They should make a version more mechanic heavy.

Imagine a final round where you have to capture all 3 bases to unlock the enemy base and then kill a mythic inside.

I'm trying to make it more raid lite

Madness

Only lost once so far and that was because no one was noticing that the Watchers were healing thr Mythic Eternal. Seconds away from killing him and he gets full health and with only 2 minutes left it wasn't happening.

On another match, the 4th round a shit ton of Soldiers stands on the rocks near the vehicle spawn of garage. I called in a Corp scorpion and was just spawn killed with Splinter grenades EMP'ing me every second while the rest shot at the tank as soon as the vehicle came out of the bay.

All in all. It's fun and a great change of pace and is why Firefight PvE is always needed. The ultimate goal should not be REQ revenue and wanting people to spend more dollars/points on packs though but creating something that gives people wanting campaign style enemy encounters or tough moments where you have to work together or hold off on your own.

Mix

This is a really cool suggestion I saw on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4es2y2/warzone_firefight_should_ditch_dead_player/

Adding the revive mechanic into Firefight. I think the respawn timer should be lengthened a lot rather than removed completely, with the addition of revives to promote teamwork and a bit more urgency. Because atm it feels like out I go.. pew pew.. died.. try again.. etc.

Just saw this so I thought I'd comment on it...

Because of the fact that the revive mechanic was added to the main PvE in the game (campaign) there's no reason it shouldn't be included in all PvE in this iteration, and future iterations as well. The revive adds an extra layer of teamwork and a layer of extra stress to the campaign and would be awesome in WZFF.

Thinking about difficulty... I think it should be calibrated to the point where a significant majority of teams fail. If everyone can do it right away, there's nothing to work towards.

Caja 117

Yesterday I played some Arena, and One of the games was CTF torque, now, I have played it before this season with the new changes, but never really noticed that the sword gives a speedboost to the player....does anyone here like this? I dont understand why would you want such thing in a objective game.

Yesterday I played some Arena, and One of the games was CTF torque, now, I have played it before this season with the new changes, but never really noticed that the sword gives a speedboost to the player....does anyone here like this? I dont understand why would you want such thing in a objective game.

Yeah, the sword speed boost has been there since day 1 i believe. Idk, ive countered sword peeps kind of easily. I got a clip if you'd like to see me thrust jump juke jive the turkey into dead oblivion.

Trup1aya

Thinking about difficulty... I think it should be calibrated to the point where a significant majority of teams fail. If everyone can do it right away, there's nothing to work towards.

Absolutely. Success should be rare. But that calibration would be better recieved I think, if their were more rounds.

Just picture it. Round 10, defend core for 5 minutes agains 300 covenant. You and 7 buddies fending of wave after wave of grunts, jackals, sniper jackals, elites w/ overshields & cloaks, Hunters, ghosts, banshees.

Then Round 20, you've got the same objective, but this time, their bringing in better variants of those weapons and vehicles.

Caja 117

Yeah, the sword speed boost has been there since day 1 i believe. Idk, ive countered sword peeps kind of easily. I got a clip if you'd like to see me thrust jump juke jive the turkey into dead oblivion.

I understand there is ways to outmanuever them, but having a speed boost on a ctf is counter productive to play the objective. (Somethingsomething move around faster in the map)

I understand there is ways to outmanuever them, but having a speed boost on a ctf is counter productive to play the objective. (Somethingsomething move around faster in the map)

Ah , i missed the part of it being objective. Yeah, i can see the issue there where someone can get into position faster by just having the sword and camp much more easily.

i was thinking this was in slayer lol

Whilst I agree that more challenge would be good, I think you're all forgetting the space for 'casual' people to chill and shoot the shit as they shoot shit. It works really well for that at the moment.

Trup1aya

Whilst I agree that more challenge would be good, I think you're all forgetting the space for 'casual' people to chill and shoot the shit as they shoot shit. It works really well for that at the moment.

Casual players can still have that... Just not beyond round 5 or whatever... There needs to be more rounds and it needs to get much harder.

BraXzy

Just saw this so I thought I'd comment on it...

Because of the fact that the revive mechanic was added to the main PvE in the game (campaign) there's no reason it shouldn't be included in all PvE in this iteration, and future iterations as well. The revive adds an extra layer of teamwork and a layer of extra stress to the campaign and would be awesome in WZFF.

The fact the mechanic is there and ready, it's a shame it hasn't been. It's funny because reviving is becoming a staple of online shooters lately, at least in the PvE space.

Strider

Pretty much.

Everything about halo 5 to this point is competitive, challenging and whatever else.

Let me have my one chill mode damn it lol

Protip for killing Knights in WZFF: while you can take them out with any precision weapon pretty easily, the Needler is a hard counter to them now. The needles home in on weak points and not center-of-mass, meaning if you fire at them with homing active it'll automatically blow off a shoulder and then supercombine headshot them for you. I was getting a ton of Knight kills last night doing it that way (Hailstorm is a beast thanks to the improved homing and firing speed - and it's only level 3!) and with Hailstorm you can even waste Knight Dignitaries in a single clip.

Caja 117

Ah , i missed the part of it being objective. Yeah, i can see the issue there where someone can get into position faster by just having the sword and camp much more easily.

i was thinking this was in slayer lol
Slayer I really wont mind it, but I think it was a annoying problem when I played CTF on it . ohh well, caja, adapt!!

BTW, Does anyone else feels that Tyrant is one of the superior maps in Halo 5?

Tawpgun

Protip for killing Knights in WZFF: while you can take them out with any precision weapon pretty easily, the Needler is a hard counter to them now. The needles home in on weak points and not center-of-mass, meaning if you fire at them with homing active it'll automatically blow off a shoulder and then supercombine headshot them for you. I was getting a ton of Knight kills last night doing it that way (Hailstorm is a beast thanks to the improved homing and firing speed - and it's only level 3!) and with Hailstorm you can even waste Knight Dignitaries in a single clip.
Or get gud and rodeo them with a shotgun

Wish I got a clip of me doing that it was probably the most entertaining pve encounter I had in a halo game

I think it will be a hard juggle for FF.

More than 5 rounds is good in my books, but to those who want a quick match of FF won't like it. Anything more than the usual halo match of 15-20 minutes might not be something many of the casual WZ peeps would like.

I think that is why they resistricted it to just 5 rounds.

What could happen is to have Warzone Firefight and Warzone Firefight Legacy*.

WZFF - Same as is now with few tweaks. Still 5 rounds.
WZFFL - Unlimited amount of rounds. Each still 5 minutues in length with rotating objectives that include more such as CTF/Assault/Strongholds... Each wave inceasing in difficulty. (the only thing i see the issue is where people have req 9 with top teir vehicles and destroying everything with ease, so they could essentially play forever or something.)

hmmmm.. idk actually. REQs seem to make anything difficult become easy. Of course, if you have req 9 teir stuff.

Fuchsdh

Weirdly it seems like super combines are also the only way to kill the Phantom Elite gunners. Shields seem to pop but I got no hitmarkers or kills from them with other weapons.

Strider

Tyrant is ok.

I wish they'd open up the middle a bit more though to provide cleaner sightlines. Idk what their deal is with making maps with tight doorways and corridors but it does not make for good engagements.... There's also plenty of unoccupied space there too. There's like 2 giant holes for no reason lol

Trup1aya

I think it will be a hard juggle for FF.

More than 5 rounds is good in my books, but to those who want a quick match of FF won't like it. Anything more than the usual halo match of 15-20 minutes might not be something many of the casual WZ peeps would like.

I think that is why they resistricted it to just 5 rounds.

What could happen is to have Warzone Firefight and Warzone Firefight Legacy*.

WZFF - Same as is now with few tweaks. Still 5 rounds.
WZFFL - Unlimited amount of rounds. Each still 5 minutues in length with rotating objectives that include more such as CTF/Assault/Strongholds... Each wave inceasing in difficulty. (the only thing i see the issue is where people have req 9 with top teir vehicles and destroying everything with ease, so they could essentially play forever or something.)

hmmmm.. idk actually. REQs seem to make anything difficult become easy. Of course, if you have req 9 teir stuff.

I'd imagine they could have difficulty ramp up properly, they could make even the most well equipt parties tapped out. When enemies start eating norfang headshots, and sporting legendary Reqs of their own, what's a guy to do?

I think if they calibrate it so that the average player fails at round five, then most people will have the short games they want.

Sordid

Spawned into a game of firefight but the screen was black. Heard everyone else fighting etc but I couldn't do anything. Got kicked due to inactivity and lost my XP boost. Beta fun times!

Edit: Next match worked fine. Firefight seems like it could be pretty good. Needs more objectives when it releases properly (an ODST style survival mode would be awesome)

Top Bottom