• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Glass

The black parts look like they connect directly to the armor pieces, as opposed to the floating armor pieces with a black undersuit of Halo 4 and 5.

if u disagree then u bad

H2A and Reach and my GOATs when it comes to Halo armour. I guess the floating armour pieces are a result of better graphics, with shadows and extra poly's setting the armour and suit apart more. But who knows, today black undersuits, tomorrow connected armor pieces!

Triggered

I might have been lashing out, CE holds a special place in my black undersuit encased heart

AND ANOTHER THING
Abusing that top of page

Whilst 343 are putting the most post launch work into a Halo so far, now might be a good time to bring up theatre mode for campaign.
Halo-3-Screenshot-2.jpg

mo60

Finally got first place for score in the warzone firefight beta.
Screenshot-Original.png

I also managed to get the round were the three wardens appear. It was not that hard and I never died while fighting the three wardens.

Vico

Next update is shaping up to be a massive one. We're already seeing a lot of different teases, from all parts of the game. Hyped!

You have to actually be the person that kills the warden. Like, last shot.

Wait, why would it work like that? It's not the way any other enemies work. You're supposed to just have participated in the kill. I mean, for any other kill commendations, I never had to be the very last one to shoot, I still got the medal and the kill counted in the stats afterwards.

Difficulty rebalancing is really cool, I still haven't collected all the intel and skulls so I'll probably do that once the update drops. This kind of post-launch support is almost unprecedented on consoles...

Garage is starting to fail a lot now. People will just not just go inside and prevent the cap. It's got to the point I get camo and I hide in the corner so they don't cap it and hopefully some people on my team will push in and help.

Also every game always has that idiot that just drives around in their scout hog hitting people.

On the bright side ever since I changed my outer to 0%, I'm on an eight game win streak in arena. My highest solo win streak in arena was around 12 so maybe I can pass it again. My last game was pretty close, this guy had 1 kill and 900 damage the whole game (he did he quite a few assists, but still). Lucky, the rest of my team wasn't bad.

Also every game always has that idiot that just drives around in their scout hog hitting people.

Or that 1 dick going around with a Hannibal Mantis/Tank shooting at other Mantises/Tanks because he wants the win.

Soo close to killing the Mythic Warden when some asshat did that.

Gwyn

Garage is actually easy to defend if you hijack the phaetons and then focus on the waves that spawn outside so the teammates that are inside the garage have an easier time clearing the rest of wave that managed to get in

Trup1aya

Garage is starting to fail a lot now. People will just not just go inside and prevent the cap. It's got to the point I get camo and I hide in the corner so they don't cap it and hopefully some people on my team will push in and help.

On the bright side ever since I changed my outer to 0%, I'm on an eight game win streak in arena. My highest solo win streak in arena was around 12 so maybe I can pass it again. My last game was pretty close, this guy had 1 kill and 900 damage the whole game (he did he quite a few assists, but still). Lucky, the rest of my team wasn't bad.

Yeah, I lost a match yesterday after we killed 99/100 because I was the only one who would go into the base. I was solo on the ground floor, putting in work like a goddamn boss, but got overwhelmed.

Blueblur1

The black parts look like they connect directly to the armor pieces, as opposed to the floating armor pieces with a black undersuit of Halo 4 and 5.

if u disagree then u bad

Probably the thing I dislike most about 343's visual design changes. (Second is the colored undershot and third is redesigned Covenant.)

Akai__

Community Update said:
  • matchmaking preference options,
  • more Forge goodness,
  • UI updates
  • and post-game medals

I hope this will help. The other things sound pretty good, too.

Akai, are you ditching us again today?

I'm only ditchining you, tbh. Everyone else knows that we secretly have our Warzone sessions.

In all seriousness. We will have a session today, but I'm not sure what we should play? Firefight? Warzone? Warzone Assault?

I hope this will help.

I'm only ditchining you, tbh. Everyone else knows that we secretly have our Warzone sessions.

In all seriousness. We will have a session today, but I'm not sure what we should play? Firefight? Warzone? Warzone Assault?

I didnt read the matchmaking options part. Finally.

1 WZ, 1WZA 2 WFFF

Trup1aya

Damn, Chittagong, they killed your thread before it even got juicy...

Back to Halo: I know this is hella early, I can't escape the feeling that Halo 6 will be one of to the best in the franchise, and it won't take 6+ months to get it there.

With H5, they are continuing to lay down what I HOPE will be the foundation of the franchise going forward. The Arena balancing is superb, Spartan abilities actually FIT the sandbox, Warzone is a keeper, the competitive scene is exciting, Forge is more powerful than ever, the maps are free and the gamemodes are (slowly but surely) returning to their former levels of variety. If they can get split screen back, give BTB it's proper attention and rethink their approach to delivering a story, I think 343 could deliver something truly special.

Trup1aya

Did a mod change the title?

"Why it is time for Chittagong to stop making threads

lmao

L O L

He probably spent a lot of time typing all of that out too.

Haha They always fool me when they do those title changes. I went in thinking it would chittachong explaining why he was backing away from making threads.

Can yoy guys give me a link?

here

I actually wanted to see how it went, the logic is sound.

I missed that the May update has post game medals awwww yiss.

Also why the hell is Pegasus still in matchmaking? Map is garbage, same goes for Antifreeze. There are plenty of good maps that can replace these. There's simply no excuse for poorly designed forge maps in MM when we have plenty of well made community mad. It's also quite sad Arena isn't yet benefiting from these maps. Simplex, The Pit and High Citadel would be very welcome.

Akai__

Starting soon. We will do Firefight 1st and see how many people will actually join. Then we can play the other Warzone modes.

As always, message or just join me. GT: AkaiGAF

Man promethean soldiers have sooo much armor. They can take two sniper rounds before they even show a weak spot. Are they actually weak at their joints or something? I feel like there must be a trick to them that I'm missing.

They're sort of treated inversely to typical enemies - rather than fire center-of-mass and then headshot them once their shields pop, keep shooting them in the head until their weak points open up and then fire center-of-mass.

Also, provided Watchers aren't around, the Soldiers, Knights and even the Warden are very susceptible to grenades, especially when you have a bunch of Soldiers clumped together.

Karl2177

Starting soon. We will do Firefight 1st and see how many people will actually join. Then we can play the other Warzone modes.

As always, message or just join me. GT: AkaiGAF
Next week I'm gonna hijack this. We've got a bunch of Forge maps that are in a playable state, plus it should give incentive for other people to finish up theirs. Sound good?

Akai__

Twitch ingest servers are still acting up in Europe, so I'm dropping frames for no reason on Stream. Stopped it, because of that.

We are still playing, though. :)

Next week I'm gonna hijack this. We've got a bunch of Forge maps that are in a playable state, plus it should give incentive for other people to finish up theirs. Sound good?

We can try that for sure.

jem0208

I'd be up for that, would be fun to try some forge maps.

Also I'm loving the avatar, <I°_°I> is an awesome album.

This will be controversial topic, but then again, so were suggesting we could see an expensive Ps3, an underpowered Nintendo Revolution, early release of a 360-level Wii successor or that we might soon see a PS4 revision with integrated VR hardware.

Okay, I'm with you...

Now, from a strategic point of view, I believe we are at a point in time where suddenly it makes sense for Microsoft to sell its Xbox business to Nintendo

no

Warzone firefight is so amazing! I just wish I didn't get disconnected so much. Out of the handful of games I played, I only saw one all the way through.

Btw, just some food for thought: since Halo 5 is the first game in the entirety of the mainline Halo lineup to not use the BLAM! engine (it's apparently a 343-specific one, albeit with a ton of assets, code, etc. ported over), it makes sense that introducing returning gametypes wouldn't be as easy as in the past, because they aren't using a subset of Megalo tools like Bungie / 343 did up to and including Halo 4. This is also why they're very specific with their language when it comes to discussing new gametypes, such as this snippet of the weekly update:

As we announced last week, Infection is indeed on the way. Just like Warzone Firefight, you’ve politely asked that we build the game type for Halo 5, and the Multiplayer and Art teams (to name just a few) at the studio have been hard at work bringing it to life.

I think rather than asking why muh lazy devs aren't putting in Stockpile 2 in six weeks after launch, it needs to be kept in mind that old gametypes now fall under the same banner as old maps in that it isn't a simple copy->paste solution anymore. Halo 4 is a culprit in making people think 343 "wants" to take old gametypes away from you, but the difference is that Halo 4's feature set used the old engine and set restrictions based on their development plan, whereas Halo 5 may want to bring old hotness back but is specifically stopgapped by the engine and old features aren't a 1:1 transfer the way they used to be.

Top Bottom