• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Strider

An infinite scoring Warzone mode with just a timer.

belushy

Banned
What would make it more casual? Super Fiesta Warzone? That'd kill REQ purchases. I think FF will do.

Like you said ghosts in Warzone Assault. Why would a team try so hard in WA? We need a casual Warzone playlist, preferably one where the enemy team can't spawn any REQs against me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Like you said ghosts in Warzone Assault. Why would a team try so hard in WA? We need a casual Warzone playlist, preferably one where the enemy team can't spawn any REQs against me.
I don't mind. If they want to spend nice ghosts on 3 minutes of defense, I still got my 1200RP for the 6 minute match. It's just funny to me.

Trup1aya

Which I thought I very clearly addressed that when I said:

I never said my way was objectively "better" or "more fair" ... Just that personally I'd rather see one final series. You're trying to disagree with someone that isn't necessarily disagreeing with you lol

From a competitive standpoint the format as it was is the best way to go... Again I just personally don't like finals that play out like that.

Yeah I understand your position,
Just having convo.

I've found that most of the playlists in Halo 5 are unusually competitive, even the unranked ones.

Just yesterday I went solo into the grifball playlist and got matched with very competitive team. It's like we were competing in an actual grifball tournament with the plays they were making. Most of the time they just kept us locked 5 feet from where we spawned and we couldn't even touch the ball the whole game.

And instances like this have happened multiple times in nearly every playlist like BTB and SWAT. I can't wait for infection.

Trup1aya

Word. All good
goodjob.gif

It's funny to me though that if this was a single elim tournament the standings would have been:

1. EG
2. Optic

lololol Please keep double elim for all future tournaments

Well, I knew it was double elim, but it didn't dawn on me, that a team would move up from the losers bracket. So I thought it was essentially when EG beat Optic and I turned it off... Smh

ITT: People that think ghosts are expensive or that spawning cheap vehicles in WZA is a new strat.

It's crazy effective and only needed in close matches anyway. Our GAF party spawned like twenty scout hogs one time cuz why not? They're not good for anything else anyway. The REQ and XP gained from a win (especially with a win gambit used) is pretty worth it. Not to mention if you've unlocked everything, gold packs only cost 4k, which is only a couple games. Pretty sure I've got a few dozen of each ghost type at the moment.

Dice

None of the players who spawned them were even level 40.

ITT: A guy who thinks everyone plays as much as him.

I think I need to retire. It was a 3v4 and they were a four man, but still this is embarrassing.

The one thing I noticed about this game is the matchmaking goes in extremes. For example, if I do extremely well, it's followed by a period of just constant losses. Players AFK at the start of match, people just quitting, and bad teammates in general. It makes the game really frustrating at times.

Karl2177

I just want to confirm, so I don't waste 2000 RP, that Cowboy Ninja and the Extended Mag DMR aren't available in Silver packs despite being "Rare" rarity.

ITT: People that think ghosts are expensive or that spawning cheap vehicles in WZA is a new strat.

It's crazy effective and only needed in close matches anyway. Our GAF party spawned like twenty scout hogs one time cuz why not? They're not good for anything else anyway. The REQ and XP gained from a win (especially with a win gambit used) is pretty worth it. Not to mention if you've unlocked everything, gold packs only cost 4k, which is only a couple games. Pretty sure I've got a few dozen of each ghost type at the moment.

Dice. You bit the bait.

OldBoy.jpg

I fucking love this thread

People have done it since launch. Lots of playtime isn't required to think through or know the de facto strats of the game under discussion. Cheap vehicles are cheap. Risk vs reward. Simple stuff. Like being shocked that someone would purposely sac fly in baseball.

ITT: dude that can't take explanations or criticisms of gameplay (or anything else), like, ever, even when it's someone else's gameplay decisions.

EDIT: Oh look, one of the dudes was a level 83 and two dudes in the level 20's. Geez, twice now with assertions from bad memory. Smh.

I fucking love this thread

I fucking love FAT's mom. That's still the joke we're making right? :)

People have done it since launch. Lots of playtime isn't required to think through or know the de facto strats of the game under discussion. Cheap vehicles are cheap. Risk vs reward. Simple stuff. Like being shocked that someone would purposely sac fly in baseball.

ITT: dude that can't take explanations or criticisms of gameplay (or anything else), like, ever, even when it's someone else's gameplay decisions.

I fucking love FAT's mom. That's still the joke we're making right? :)

It's like people that discover you can backslap/assassinate the first elite on ARC. Day one shit.

And making fun of Fat's mom is always in rotation. That goes without saying.

Dice

I have played 24 games of WA. That isn't a lot and I never acted like it was, but it is also enough to have a general idea for what does and doesn't often happen in WA. If you are trying to claim that 5 simultaneous ghosts in the first base when the other team hasn't even bothered to REQ anything is really common, I'd say that is untrue. I doubt my 24 games strayed from the norm that much.

No, I was just tossing back some of your needlessly antagonistic tone with your "ITT people who think..." thing. I've seen vehicles in WA, just not so many on the first base. I also spoke from my own perspective ("I didn't know that..."), not claiming universal standards for how WA is supposed to go or something. You're the one who gave it an arrogant spin, and for no reason but to talk down. You easily could have shared your experience of WA and personal reasoning for using vehicles without being a jerk about it.

Edit: Let me assist with my perspective...
Didn't know anyone cared about an assault match that much.
The logical thing to infer from this statement is the recognition and acceptance of the fact that apparently they do sometimes. So it is only me vocalizing something new I have experienced in the game. If it's something you have experienced a lot, great, that means you have played a lot. What relevance is that to bring it out like an admonishment? Am I not allowed to have first experiences like everyone else?

I don't mind. If they want to spend nice ghosts on 3 minutes of defense, I still got my 1200RP for the 6 minute match. It's just funny to me.
What is the only reasonable interpretation of this? That if they think putting in that effort for the win is worth the RP reward difference, they can go ahead and do that. I personally don't mind the difference for second place when the match turnover is so fast.

Again, just an innocent accepting observation and expression that I think it's funny because it isn't worth all that much to me personally, and generally what I've seen in WA was super casual with mostly just loadout fights. I was never angry and never called them stupid for doing it or anything, and belushy just mentioned wanting a more easygoing version of WA available, so your tone seemed to be a response to some characterization of me in your head rather than my actual statements.

I have played 24 games of WA. That isn't a lot and I never acted like it was, but it is also enough to have a general idea for what does and doesn't often happen in WA. If you are trying to claim that 5 simultaneous ghosts in the first base when the other team hasn't even bothered to REQ anything is really common, I'd say that is untrue. I doubt my 24 games strayed from the norm that much.

While I'm aware the match in question wasn't on Summit, almost half of your WZA games are. I can't think of a single match on that map in months where defense hasn't spawned vehicles to keep control of Fortress (with the exceptions of people farming or armory glitching or quitting). I mean, you said it yourself these guys were low level, and probably played much less than you, but it was apparently in their mindset already. I'd say that you'd have to be some kind of anomaly not to have seen this before or, more likely, never noticed before. Or perhaps it "didn't count" or something in your mind the other times because both teams were calling in REQs? I mean that's a fairly arbitrary qualification. If the offense isn't calling anything in, why not press your advantage? There's a saying in the Starcraft scene (I forget who says it, one of the casters I believe) that goes "when you're ahead, get further ahead". Ensure the win. Cheap REQs are literally the de facto course of action in WZA. It can even be *gasp!* fun when your whole party calls in a hog/ghost and you just drive around and clog up entrances and stuff.

No, I was just tossing back some of your needlessly antagonistic tone with your "ITT people who think..." thing. I've seen vehicles in WA, just not so many on the first base. I also spoke from my own perspective ("I didn't know that..."), not claiming universal standards for how WA is supposed to go or something. You're the one who gave it an arrogant spin, and for no reason but to talk down. You easily could have shared your experience of WA and personal reasoning for using vehicles without being a jerk about it.

"needlessly antagonistic" - I dare say it was quite tame and you, like with Eugn's comments the other night, got bent out of shape. I then went on to explain why it was somewhat shocking to read about your experience.

You said you didn't know that people cared that much. Really? People willing to spend a couple hundred RP to win a WZ game are some kind of unicorn in your experience?

I don't see how it's arrogance to refer to very common tactics and be surprised that someone who's like 1/4 of the way through the level progression is just now seeing them. You're not being talked down to. I expect people to have the ability to do basic analysis of a situation without needing common sense spoonfed to them. Would you rather I insulted your intelligence for realsies and assumed you were too dumb to figure out why some incredibly common situation occurred?

Like Eugn was saying, take a couple seconds to feed your stream-of-consciousness posts and your "how does gameplay?" posts through a quick internal review before posting.

And let's not pretend you're not talking down about the opponents who apparently care too much about winning and you're happy to get some easy RP at their expense. It's no different than people who complain about "tryhards" in parties.

Again, just an innocent accepting observation and expression that I think it's funny because it isn't worth all that much to me personally, and generally what I've seen in WA was super casual with mostly just loadout fights. I was never angry and never called them stupid for doing it or anything, and belushy just mentioned wanting a more easygoing version of WA available, so your tone seemed to be a response to some characterization of me in your head rather than my actual statements.
Basically what I said above. I never called you stupid either. You're having a laugh at your opponents' expense because your evaluation is that it isn't worth it. Mine was at yours because in my evaluation and that of many others (considering win bonuses for both xp and rp as well as boosts) it is worth it and that apparently never occurred to you.

Where do you go see tournament results/recaps? I've been googling everything I can think of and the sites I've looked at are useless. It shouldn't be this hard. Waypoint is useless. The PAX site is useless. Reddit is useless. The gamesites covering news for PAX are useless. Even the Halo twitter account isn't very helpful outside of saying hey look here is the grand winner EG. I've searched #HCS and #Halo. Is it really that hard to just show the bracket and how it all went down? I need some help.

So far this is the best thing I've found and it's not updated yet:
http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/Halo_Championship_Series_Pro_League_2016
Extended Mag DMR definitely is, Cowboy Ninja I think it's tied to a commendation.
I don't have the extended dmr cert and was getting req point refunds back when purchasing silver packs. I'm not sure how you get it, but I'm not eager to use more req points on silver packs just to get less points back. Do I really need to keep getting silver packs? If so that's stupid.

Strider

Where do you go see tournament results/recaps? I've been googling everything I can think of and the sites I've looked at are useless. It shouldn't be this hard. Waypoint is useless. The PAX site is useless. Reddit is useless. The gamesites covering news for PAX are useless. Even the Halo twitter account isn't very helpful outside of saying hey look here is the grand winner EG. I've searched #HCS and #Halo. Is it really that hard to just show the bracket and how it all went down? I need some help.

So far this is the best thing I've found and it's not updated yet:
http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/Halo_Championship_Series_Pro_League_2016

I went to that page clicked Pax East 2016 and scrolled down... results for today are right there.

EYEL1NER

I can't think of a single match on that map in months where defense hasn't spawned vehicles to keep control of Fortress
I play far more Summit matches as Offense rather than Defense (in fact, I can only only remember one match as defense and it was a couple days ago) on Summit and a lot of times when I play Offense, the opposing team shuts us out. But when I played as defense recently and the opposing team finally made a good push, it instantly became obvious to me that "Hey, I need to start spawning on vehicles, if even to remain in here and hold out a bit longer." We had a couple Ghosts on Summit until I got killed and I just started spawning on a Mongoose as time was almost up. I can definintly see how spawning vehicles on a map where they spawn inside the base being a big strategy in WZA and it even doesn't seem like some WAAC thing, just trying not to lose.

So yeah, a team having a half dozen Ghosts in an objective doesn't seem strange to me either.

EDIT: I used it above but now I am curious: Is WAAC an acronym that gets used on GAF occasionally? I typed it, hit post, and then immediately realized that I see it all the time on BoardGameGeek and 40K forums but don't recall seeing it here. I got worried that someone might see it and say "Huh?" So, do we say that around here? "WAAC?"

Dice

While I'm aware the match in question wasn't on Summit, almost half of your WZA games are. I can't think of a single match on that map in months where defense hasn't spawned vehicles to keep control of Fortress (with the exceptions of people farming or armory glitching or quitting). I mean, you said it yourself these guys were low level, and probably played much less than you, but it was apparently in their mindset already. I'd say that you'd have to be some kind of anomaly not to have seen this before or, more likely, never noticed before. Or perhaps it "didn't count" or something in your mind the other times because both teams were calling in REQs? I mean that's a fairly arbitrary qualification. If the offense isn't calling anything in, why not press your advantage? There's a saying in the Starcraft scene (I forget who says it, one of the casters I believe) that goes "when you're ahead, get further ahead". Ensure the win. Cheap REQs are literally the de facto course of action in WZA. It can even be *gasp!* fun when your whole party calls in a hog/ghost and you just drive around and clog up entrances and stuff.
In the games I played, for the first base, it has usually been like one warthog or one normal ghost. Maybe two sometimes, but only after a counter is brought to the first. That is my very real experience and not selective memory. I heard someone in here say (about normal WZ) it kind of takes your REQs into account for matchmaking, so if that is true, maybe you are long past your days of few vehicles in WA, but for others new to the game it is not very common to load up so strongly.

"needlessly antagonistic" - I dare say it was quite tame and you, like with Eugn's comments the other night, got bent out of shape. I then went on to explain why it was somewhat shocking to read about your experience.
I think we have a cultural difference when it comes to interpretation of acceptable rudeness. And Eugn had just straight up made fun of how I write. I don't think it's unreasonable to take issue with that, even if he only intended it rather lightheartedly (not that he ever claimed that).

You said you didn't know that people cared that much. Really? People willing to spend a couple hundred RP to win a WZ game are some kind of unicorn in your experience?
5 ghosts on the first location is indeed "some kind of unicorn" in my experience. Am I not allowed that experience? Do I need to go around watching hours of WA streams to get a good idea for what is normal for everyone else before expressing my perspective just to make sure it is "normal" enough that it doesn't shock people like you?

I don't see how it's arrogance to refer to very common tactics and be surprised that someone who's like 1/4 of the way through the level progression is just now seeing them. You're not being talked down to. I expect people to have the ability to do basic analysis of a situation without needing common sense spoonfed to them. Would you rather I insulted your intelligence for realsies and assumed you were too dumb to figure out why some incredibly common situation occurred?
Like I said, your tone in doing so was unnecessary, and did seem to be an intended insult. You easily could have been like:

"Oh, it's not all that uncommon, and if you play a lot you can end up with plenty of vehicles to spare so it isn't a big deal. It's especially worth it if you have a gambit card to boost the reward for a win."

See the difference? I would have received that perfectly well.

Like Eugn was saying, take a couple seconds to feed your stream-of-consciousness posts and your "how does gameplay?" posts through a quick internal review before posting.
So you're saying that yes, I should censor my expression of first experiences just because I am coming to the game late. I need to find out from others what is normal before saying anything ever. Sorry, but your level of experience with the game is not some benchmark for everyone in the thread that people should try to avoid offending with their inexperience.

And let's not pretend you're not talking down about the opponents who apparently care too much about winning and you're happy to get some easy RP at their expense. It's no different than people who complain about "tryhards" in parties.
It's perfectly possible to find humor in surprising realization of large differences of values without thinking poorly of the other. It was a novel experience in what has usually been a pretty mundane mode for me.

EDIT: Oh look, one of the dudes was a level 83 and two dudes in the level 20's. Geez, twice now with assertions from bad memory. Smh.
The level 83 guy stole it after one our guys brought out in response to their ghosts. The guys who brought out ghosts on their team just stayed in the garage firing out the entrances, so my team didn't really bother even approaching and got caught up fighting on-foot people outside.

I think we have a cultural difference when it comes to interpretation of acceptable rudeness. And Eugn had just straight up made fun of how I write. I don't think it's unreasonable to take issue with that, even if he only intended it rather lightheartedly (not that he ever claimed that).
You know how many dumdums Eugn lets slide around here? You should be honored he even breathed a thought in your direction.

Honored.
You're bad at Halo and I hate you
Not as bad as that Fraudu1entmoose fellow. You know, proud supporter of #TeamToggleCrouch, led by The Last Toggle Croucher.

EYEL1NER

Fucking nice! Just opened a plain old promotion pack and got not 1 but 2 Scorpions. I am so glad that I finally got that license last weekend because I have been banking a ton of them. I haven't been playing much regular WZ lately and don't hit REQ LVL 6 too often in WZA, but I can't wait to start busting these bad boys out.

And while it isn't as impressive as some of ExWife's or anyone else's Spartan Charge sprees, I did just equip a speed boost for the first time in a little while and got three charges in a row, the first delivered to someone who was backing up and unloaded almost a whole AR clip in my direction before I finally caught him. At first I thought 'Damn, I run out in the open from the spawn and there is a dude looking at me. Of course I would have had such poor luck as soon as I used a REQ.' It felt pretty good, I might try my speed boosts a bit more often now and fish for some more charges.

jfoul

Hey guys, I just got back from my Dark Souls 3 visit. Super Fiesta is pretty neat, and the new UI tweaks coming soon sound nice.

Used my end-game splaser reqs. Those things are amazing. I just want to run around warzone all day destroying people's vehicles. Needed some of those in Halo 3.
I went to that page clicked Pax East 2016 and scrolled down... results for today are right there.
ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. i wasted over 30 minutes trying to find that...

I have been a member of NeoGAF since September of 2015, did I missed the FatStronaut joke or something? This sounds like the old days of HaloGAF before I was a member

I have been a member of NeoGAF since September of 2015, did I missed the FatStronaut joke or something? This sounds like the old days of HaloGAF before I was a member
You must first find the zoojoo. Once you've completed that quest, refer your findings to the nearest GAF mod and await your next mission.

Opened my 2 wz req packs just now.

Pack 1:
Oni chaingun turret weapon cert - meh
Frozen treat emblem - boo!!!!
Increased strength armor mod - meh

Pack 2:
Fotus helm - yay!
Nomad unchanged armor - meh
Retina of the mind's eye binary rifle weapon cert - cool

I can't remember if I opened my final 2 arena req packs last week or if i get 2 more later today- gues i'll find out. For some reason they don't come out at 12:00 AM PDT on Monday like the wz packs, but later in the morning or day.

Top Bottom