• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

slyfox

Unfortunate for Frosty. Huke is a god tho. I hope we see more super teams form. Liquid and Str8 need team changes as well as everyone else not named nV or Optic.

Trup1aya

Great event. I think i saw 40k viewers on twitch with halo at #1 during game 7.

Shame about the reload glitch. I saw it happen in lethuls stream once with a pistol. It probably was never deemed important enough to be a priority fix, i bet that changes now.

Anyway, congrats to Envy. They played out of their minds in order to beat Optic in 2 series back to back.

Madness

Fuel rod animation issue is known, Frosty could have killed with Carbine and keep in mind NV won 2 straight best of 7's. They were the better team today.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the Grand Finals. That was really fantastic. Didn't realize NV had to win back to back game 7s.

Edit: Worlds is gonna be awesome

Woah, this Simms hate is rough!

Ok he may not be as knowledgeable as T2 but at least he is trying to be entertaining... to be honest I find T2 incredibly boring and snobby, and Walsh/strongside fumble with their words to the point where they look unprofessional and awkward, Elamite is decent.

One thing I noticed when watching the recent Rocket League world championship was the castors were so much more entertaining than the H5 castors which made the event so much more exciting and thrilling to watch.

Simms is a similar style of commentator imo.

psyfi

Banned
Woah, this Simms hate is rough!

Ok he may not be as knowledgeable as T2 but at least he is trying to be entertaining... to be honest I find T2 incredibly boring and snobby, and Walsh/strongside fumble with their words to the point where they look unprofessional and awkward, Elamite is decent.

One thing I noticed when watching the recent Rocket League world championship was the castors were so much more entertaining than the H5 castors which made the event so much more exciting and thrilling to watch.

Simms is a similar style of commentator imo.
Normally I'd agree with you, but he really felt boring and uninspired during this series. He's alright usually, though.

Is White Cell considered a good map around here?

I was constantly getting shot or rushed right off spawn. Not a good first impression.

ugh this game is so spastic lol. Just incredibly aggressive. Fun to watch, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

So sick of this shit.

How on earth has this game been out for over a year, and these constant disconnects still happen? This isn't an "oh that sucks I was disconnected" kind of deal. This is an "oh, I was disconnected yet again, for the second time today, on my stellar internet connection." Wired. 120Mbps down. 15Mbps up. No packet loss. Minimal ping to my ISP. And yet, this. Constantly. Predictably.

This bullshit doesn't happen in Gears 4. Or Titanfall 2. Or Battlefield 1. Or even Battlefront. But it happens a fucking LOT in Halo 5, and I am so goddamn sick of it. I don't give a damn about any of the updates Halo 5 adds if I can't play the game without having to roll the dice on whether or not investing my time and effort into the game is even going to be WORTH IT, since I might just get kicked by crappy servers!

And the cherry on top is that this could compound and result in me being banned from Warzone matchmaking for no fault of my own, because the game still doesn't differentiate between server errors and quitting from the options menu.

UKUMI0

So fucking sick of this shit.

How on earth has this game been out for over a year, and these constant disconnects still happen? This isn't an "oh that sucks I was disconnected" kind of deal. This is an "oh, I was disconnected yet again, for the second time today, on my stellar internet connection."

This bullshit doesn't happen in Gears 4. Or Titanfall 2. Or Battlefield 1. Or even Battlefront. But it happens a fucking LOT in Halo 5, and I am so goddamn sick of it. I don't give a damn about any of the updates Halo 5 adds if I can't play the game without having to roll the dice on whether or not investing my time and effort into the game is even going to be WORTH IT, since I might just get kicked by crappy servers!

No idea, the only time I disconnect is when the match starts to load (on the lobby screen) and only when I play with someone on the other side of the world (I'm an Aussie).

Didn't actually know this was a problem because I haven't suffered from a disconnect in at least a month.

Maybe it has something to do with your Search Preference being Expanded or something so you're getting placed on servers too far from where you live? Otherwise no idea.

Getting plenty of opportunities to use the grenade launcher in super fiesta... really cool weapon, 100% should replace the plasma castor in team arena/HCS.

Trup1aya

It's so weird that people hate Simms here, but love him on team beyond. I like him.

Anyway, I've never been to fussed about the casting. I've always felt it was decent to good so long Strongside wasn't struggling to finish his thoughts.

slyfox

Simms is fine. Goldenboy on the other hand... We need more Walshys who can commentate and have the balls to criticize a player.

On a side note, I would like Esports to start interviewing the loser as well post match. Sports does it and unfortunately Esports doesn't.

Man, BTB feels pretty good after being away from it for so long.
It'd feel a lot better if they'd fix the frame rate issues. That problem has persisted through a major update, which is unacceptable.

Also remove Basin and go back to the second version of Deadlock. While they're changing the map pool they could add Avalanche. Oh and pistol starts.

Elros

It'd feel a lot better if they'd fix the frame rate issues. That problem has persisted through a major update, which is unacceptable.

Also remove Basin and go back to the second version of Deadlock. While they're changing the map pool they could add Avalanche. Oh and pistol starts.

Yes, framerate is far from perfect, I agree. As for map specifics, I never played BTB on Halo 5 before this update, so I can't say much on that. But I would love to play a remake of Avalanche, that's for sure !

Well, sorry for being too optimistic, must be some kind of honeymoon feeling caused by my fresh return as casual player for now.

So after doing a custom games night with 6 people this weekend, i have to say, there is not enough variety for gametypes.

Also, does KOTH not work on any of the 343 maps? Couldnt get it to work once. And oddball is really missing here. I had no idea how to create it or if its even possible.

At one point we were only 5 people and i couldnt even get breakout to work.

Custom games needs some work.

JoeLT

I'm still incredibly mad they ruined Breakout. Is there anyone that was complaining about Breakout earlier that actually likes it now? Because from my experience everyone I know including myself who used to LOVE Breakout now absolutely hate it. It was my favourite playlist in Halo 5 and I'm so disappointed to see it gone.

Fuchsdh

I'm still incredibly mad they ruined Breakout. Is there anyone that was complaining about Breakout earlier that actually likes it now? Because from my experience everyone I know including myself who used to LOVE Breakout now absolutely hate it. It was my favourite playlist in Halo 5 and I'm so disappointed to see it gone.

Personally I like it more the way it is now, with the possible exception of the fact that you return the flag to your own base to score rather than the other way around and the motion tracker.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I was constantly getting shot or rushed right off spawn. Not a good first impression.

ugh this game is so spastic lol. Just incredibly aggressive. Fun to watch, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

I love it. Simple, old school, easy to figure out.

jem0208

Personally I like it more the way it is now, with the possible exception of the fact that you return the flag to your own base to score rather than the other way around and the motion tracker.
Returning the flag to the base is 100% better than pushing with it.

It’s a big factor in preventing the incredibly campy nature of the previous version of Breakout. Before if the enemy team grabbed the flag you could just sit back and wait for them to come to you. The flag was basically pointless. Now if the enemy grabs the flag you’re forced to push forward otherwise they’ll score easily.

wwm0nkey

Going by the wording on Tom French's Twitter, Halo 5 dev time is pretty close to being done. Luckily we got this update before they fully stopped!

At this point there is very little doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will be used as the base for Halo 6 MP, just way too much stuff to do again from scratch

GTSweet

Neo Member
Going by the wording on Tom French's Twitter, Halo 5 dev time is pretty close to being done. Luckily we got this update before they fully stopped!

At this point there is very little doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will be used as the base for Halo 6 MP, just way too much stuff to do again from scratch

That's really exciting though isn't it? The thought that this could be near the entry point for Halo 6 with updated graphics and all their dev time going into making incredible maps, campaign, enemies, modes, etc.

Trup1aya

Returning the flag to the base is 100% better than pushing with it.

It’s a big factor in preventing the incredibly campy nature of the previous version of Breakout. Before if the enemy team grabbed the flag you could just sit back and wait for them to come to you. The flag was basically pointless. Now if the enemy grabs the flag you’re forced to push forward otherwise they’ll score easily.

The flag was never pointless. They only added the objective as a secondary win condition to prevent players from camping as soon as they were at a numbers disadvantage.

The primary win condition was eliminating the enemy team.

Theorry

d034d22afd2780179d1c8468c1f8d077.jpg

Not bad! :)

#WeBack

Wait what happened? I watched some and it sat arround 10.000. But needed to go to bed.

psyfi

Banned
I'm more than ready for Halo 6 if it builds off the successes of Halo 5, but I hope they immediately port over all the best Halo 5 maps. Fathom, Coliseum, Eden, Truth, and Regret are too good to just leave in the dust.

And I hope I can buy an MP only version of it.

itll be a tricky thing for them. To move everything from the halo 5 mp over to a new title and having people not question it.

Some might argue they are lazy and brought nothing new to MP. Where others will see this as tremendous value keeping the mp as a platform with additions, not rehauls moving forward.

You could see gaming website taglines like;

Halo 6 - play all of your halo 5 maps and more with updated engine!
Halo 6 - What did they do with all that time for multiplayer?
Halo 6 - We wanted something new, not Halo 5.5
Halo 6 - The multiplayer platform we didnt know we needed! Is this the future?

you get the jist. I think this will be very interesting to watch. to see what the 343i team chooses to do when talking about the features of the next halo mainline game.

jem0208

The flag was never pointless. They only added the objective as a secondary win condition to prevent players from camping as soon as they were at a numbers disadvantage.

Pushing the flag to the enemy base doesn’t help with that though. If you lose a player you sit back and let the enemy push the flag to you.

With the current setup if you kill an enemy there’s an actual advantage to grabbing the flag. Before there wasn’t one.

You'll hear bitching either way. "Not enough changes" or "changes don't work, why fix what isn't broken".

I hope they bring back more of a gritty feeling to the visuals and animation for H6.

agreed. I tried the new breakout and every round the other team nabbed the flag immediately. I preferred the elimination focus instead of the panic flag focus.

Meh, perhaps breakout was just not a good fit for Halo.

edit: For Halo 6, I wonder if they have been able to improve their engine. When I see games like BF1/Gears 4/Infinite Warfare, I'm pretty underwhelmed by Halo 5's look.

Karl2177

Or like almost every other elimination based game, whatever team has more people alive at the end of the round gets the w for that round. You could even make it a custom game setting for the mode, if for some reason you're a fan of the tactical tie: Most players at end of round wins: [yes/no]

I really like White Cell. Nice sight lines, not saturated with power weapons.

Speaking of which, in customs I tested my Mercy tweaks.
-Beam Rifle > OS (Open Ramp)
-Removed the Hammer
-Saw> Grenade Launcher (Closed Ramp)

It plays really nicely. Top mid has more flavor w as you don't have to worry about getting sniped.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
i find the layout really confusing. only played on it 4 or 5 times, but still. few maps take me more then a couple games to "get"

I've had that in the past with some maps, where I subjectively had a hard time understanding the layout, and others found it simple. Good example is overgrowth, although now it's easy for me. I bet there's a brain science about it

Top Bottom