• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd love to see the HCS add forge maps (and modes?) to revitalize interest after fall season concludes. It's crazy that despite all the added content to the game post release, none of it made it into competitive. What's the hold up here?

I'd love to see the HCS add forge maps (and modes?) to revitalize interest after fall season concludes. It's crazy that despite all the added content to the game post release, none of it made it into competitive. What's the hold up here?

DLC maps are simply, bad.

op_ivy

DLC maps are simply, bad.

Oh I'm not complaining that the dlc maps weren't added. They are bad and shouldn't have been. Still I find it crazy that apparently the dlc maps weren't given the same attention as launch maps to ensure at least some of them would be a good fit for the competitive scene. But, it is what it is. Open up forge content for the community to find maps though. We desperately need fresh content to revitalize the HCS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I'm not complaining that the dlc maps weren't added. They are bad and shouldn't have been. Still I find it crazy that apparently the dlc maps weren't given the same attention as launch maps to ensure at least some of them would be a good fit for the competitive scene. But, it is what it is. Open up forge content for the community to find maps though. We desperately need fresh content to revitalize the HCS.

Yeah, next season needs some new maps for sure. Oddball would be nice as well. I don't watch any other esports so I'm not familiar with how well they change things up. Cod just gets a new game every year.

Fuchsdh

What's wrong with the snow remix—Stasis?

as much as i dont want to say it ..i hope they learned a lot from the feedback of Halo 5 and really build upon that to make halo 6 the full package and a little bit more.

• 4 player coop story should be removed
  • none of this "here's a new character and focus 90% on them"
  • Halo mainline games are about the MC... so lets try to keep it that way? Maybe make DLC story about side characters that mirror some ODST type of play? idk, there should be really creative people at 343i!!
  • coop should remain but as an optional addon to the story and not pivitol as a pillar to build around this time
  • i am excited about the Resurrection of split screen lol
  • multiplayer needs to have all playlists available from the get-go
  • they should not rely on forge maps to be the focal point of a major playlist like BTB
  • Warzone needs adjustment
  • endgame rewards need adjustment
  • organization and customization needs a rehaul on implementation
  • spartan companies need more value and re-assessment on rewards (Achilles bane)
  • etc
  • etc

lol

What's wrong with the snow remix—Stasis?

Color palette heavily favors blue team. Same goes for Tyrant I believe. No idea about Mercy.

Yeah, next season needs some new maps for sure. Oddball would be nice as well. I don't watch any other esports so I'm not familiar with how well they change things up. Cod just gets a new game every year.

Halo 5 is the only major (lol) esports that is completely static when it comes to content. All the other games constantly have new maps, characters, mechanics, weapons etc adding to them.

Trup1aya

theyre using forge maps in tournaments? lol wow

No forge maps I tournaments.

They are talking about Stasis- spawns and asymmetric layout heavily favored blue team.

HCS teams boycotted it and (eventually, after several months of being vetoed) it was removed from the circuit.

I wouldnt mind forge maps in tournaments (so long as the framerates held). There are some REALLY GOOD 4v4 forge maps, and some terrible ones we've been watching for the last two years (like empire strongholds and Eden slayer).

Juan

It feels so depressing to read this thread lol. I mean, not because of the discussion, just because it reminds me every time the actual state of Halo.

E92 M3

It feels so depressing to read this thread lol. I mean, not because of the discussion, just because it reminds me every time the actual state of Halo.

If you look at the actual state of competitive Halo and talk to the pros, it's even worse.

If you look at the actual state of competitive Halo and talk to the pros, it's even worse.

Then you look at what Bungie is doing and the hype they're creating for their games, it just makes me regret them ever leaving Microsoft. I lost all hope in 343. I expect more of the same in the next game. More "Oh weve learned from our mistakes".

jem0208

Lol, Halo is fine.

5 isn't as popular as previous titles but it still has a fairly health population despite being two years old with some incredibly strong competition and barely any updates recently.

Speaking of, the upcoming update sounds like it will be pretty game changing.

That isn't to say it couldn't be better. There's obviously been a number of ways in which 343 could have handled things a lot better. I'm a bit sick of people acting like the game/series is dead though.

Eh, I've seen worse. Late Reach - Halo 4 - MCC, now that was some dark shit. Now I'm just resigned to it being a relatively niche series.

Lol, Halo is fine.

5 isn't as popular as previous titles but it still has a fairly health population despite being two years old with some incredibly strong competition and barely any updates recently.

It won't change anything. It's a year and a half too late, just like everything else they do

op_ivy

theyre using forge maps in tournaments? lol wow

no, but they should!

Color palette heavily favors blue team. Same goes for Tyrant I believe. No idea about Mercy.

iirc, it was more than color pallet. pretty sure the slightly different bases, and access to the hydra, contributed to its lopsided-ness

Then you look at what Bungie is doing and the hype they're creating for their games, it just makes me regret them ever leaving Microsoft. I lost all hope in 343. I expect more of the same in the next game. More "Oh weve learned from our mistakes".

then you realize that you'd still rather play halo 5 and all is well again. whew :p

E92 M3

Oh yeah. I have my grievances with Destiny 2, but it will be one hell of a game. At the very least it will last me 500 hours - the very worst case scenario.

Lol, Halo is fine.

That isn't to say it couldn't be better. There's obviously been a number of ways in which 343 could have handled things a lot better. I'm a bit sick of people acting like the game/series is dead though.

343 is a very, very slow moving studio and just follow trends - not create them.

Halo 6 is their last chance to do something big before Microsoft starts cleaning house. That's how I see it.

Trup1aya

Empire strongholds without ARs is decent.

It's very fast paced and hectic but I've seen some great matches on it.

Nothing wrong with being fast paced

it can be enjoyable, and it's MUCH better now, but when it comes to HCS, i can count on one hand how many pit captures/secures aren't determined by random grenade bounces.

The most important SH in the map, has the most basic meta surrounding it.

jem0208

I'm genuinely quite excited for this weapon tuning update.

I'm not sure why they're having a full week of the standard playlist though. Seems somewhat unnecessary when we've been playing with these weapons for 2 years.

Going off the first issue, and the tease for the second, I doubt it. Seems to be a series of vignettes from Atriox' past, told from the perspective of other characters (ones he then kills). It's a cool idea, honestly. Execution's not bad either.
Good to see, I'm looking forward to it. I liked Escalation overall, but we all know the issues there. Hopefully the same mistakes aren't repeated again.
BR starts in Halo 5 stink
👀
👄👍

Going off the first issue, and the tease for the second, I doubt it. Seems to be a series of vignettes from Atriox' past, told from the perspective of other characters (ones he then kills). It's a cool idea, honestly. Execution's not bad either.

Halo in general should play around with slasher elements more - the idea of a Spartan serial killer in that one side novel was a brilliant idea. "Spartans can be bad" isn't exactly a groundbreaking concept since people like Ilsa Zane already exist, but the idea of a supersoldier killing people in the civilian sector and the idea that not every kill at the hands of a Spartan was something just in the name of defending humanity is something I'm amazed hasn't been explored more in the series.

Juan

That may be one of the reason I'm not looking on this side: I don't want to be more depressed about Halo lol (and I don't think I will ever feel the same excitement I had for Halo esport back in the Halo 2/3 MLG days. I invited friends, with bacon and popcorn to look the finals on the biggest screen we had at this time).

You're taking me off guard to be honest, this is exactly what I was about to say in my previous post.

As E92 can confirm, I'm far from being the biggest Destiny fan around there (even if I enjoyed D1 for some times), but I really miss the lighthearted tone Bungie was bringing to the community and the mood around Halo even when nothing new was onboard.

Seeing (a large part of) the community struggling with Halo makes it even less appealing, and I was surprised to hear yesterday that some people, outside of the community, are feeling the same about Halo and seeing this saga as not appealing at all.

Actually, if you ask me, I would choose Destiny over Halo (as it is right now) without a doubt. And trust me, I never thought I would say something like this seeing how bad Destiny (1) is to me.

Eh, I've seen worse. Late Reach - Halo 4 - MCC, now that was some dark shit. Now I'm just resigned to it being a relatively niche series.

I don't know man, I sure was disappointed by the lack of polish regarding the MCC, but I could still feel some excitement around this collection (and every Halo games having 60 fps was really refreshing), even Halo 4 since it was actually quite fun in BTB, and even more after it was patched (it was the more casual Halo I ever played, but man it was fun and easy to master), and Reach, well, as much as frustrating the game was, I still had a blast of fun on this game.

That is sure personal, but I never felt a so depressing mood than I feel it right now when someone ask me about Halo haha. It doesn't help that we won't get something really new before 2019.

Yeah, I'm quite sure the next main Halo FPS game won't be out until Fall 2019.

You're taking me off guard to be honest, this is exactly what I was about to say in my previous post.

As E92 can confirm, I'm far from being the biggest Destiny fan around there (even if I enjoyed D1 for some times), but I really miss the lighthearted tone Bungie was bringing to the community and the mood around Halo even when nothing new was onboard.

Seeing (a large part of) the community struggling with Halo makes it even less appealing, and I was surprised to hear yesterday that some people, outside of the community, are feeling the same about Halo and seeing this saga as not appealing at all.

Actually, if you ask me, I would choose Destiny over Halo (as it is right now) without a doubt. And trust me, I never thought I would say something like this seeing how bad Destiny (1) is to me.

Honestly for me, Halo isn't Halo anymore without Bungie. I love Halo, the old games still hold a special place from me. Back in the day during the ps2 era, I was literally losing interest in gaming when the first halo came out and it single handily revitalized my interest in the medium. Ever since then I only look forward to one game every E3 and it's halo. But ever since Bungie left, honestly, I feel like my interest in halo is diminishing. I find myself more excited for what Bungie is doing then I am in halo.

Obviously the constant fuck ups 343 do really don't help the situation. Like there was a comment above where someone said they would never want to play destiny multiplayer and I'm like, I don't either but the rest of the game is so fun that it makes up for it. I never play destiny for it's multiplayer and if you did, then you have no idea what that game is all about. Destiny is about community, it's about playing together and it's about fun.

The fact of the matter is Bungie games are fun to play. Halo games were super fun to play when bungie was in charge of them. Ever since 343 took over, halo just isn't fun anymore and that's what sucks. Destiny might not be perfect but I guarantee you I will put 10 times more hours in destiny2 then I ever have in halo 5. And that honestly bums me out a little because Halo was my jam and 343 is just fucking killing it. And not in a good way.

They completely killed the feel of halo. The single player doesn't feel like halo anymore the multiplayer is good but it's just not enough when it's not being supported on a consistent basis. I mean just the forge stuff, goddamnit. Release fucking maps, not user maps, or cards or stupid REQs. I know they pay for the game but still, you're losing your Fanbase, wake the fuck up. I don't know, ultimately 343 just don't know how to appeal to me and bungie do. And it kind of bums me out because I don't want to lose interest in halo, but I am.

Juan

Honestly for me, Halo isn't Halo anymore without Bungie. I love Halo, the old games still hold a special place from me. Back in the day during the ps2 era, I was literally losing interest in gaming when the first halo came out and it single handily revitalized my interest in the medium. Ever since then I only look forward to one game every E3 and it's halo. But ever since Bungie left, honestly, I feel like my interest in halo is diminishing. I find myself more excited for what Bungie is doing then I am in halo.

Obviously the constant fuck ups 343 do really don't help the situation. Like there was a comment above where someone said they would never want to play destiny multiplayer and I'm like, I don't either but the rest of the game is so fun that it makes up for it. I never play destiny for it's multiplayer and if you did, then you have no idea what that game is all about. Destiny is about community, it's about playing together and it's about fun.

The fact of the matter is Bungie games are fun to play. Halo games were super fun to play when bungie was in charge of them. Ever since 343 took over, halo just isn't fun anymore and that's what sucks. Destiny might not be perfect but I guarantee you I will put 10 times more hours in destiny2 then I ever have in halo 5. And that honestly bums me out a little because Halo was my jam and 343 is just fucking killing it. And not in a good way.

They completely killed the feel of halo. The single player doesn't feel like halo anymore the multiplayer is good but it's just not enough when it's not being supported on a consistent basis. I mean just the forge stuff, goddamnit. Release fucking maps, not user maps, or cards or stupid REQs. I know they pay for the game but still, you're losing your Fanbase, wake the fuck up. I don't know, ultimately 343 just don't know how to appeal to me and bungie do. And it kind of bums me out because I don't want to lose interest in halo, but I am.

I... Well, there is nothing more to add after reading your post I think. You told everything better than I could possibly ever say. I agree with every part.

jem0208

Personally I find 5 to have easily the best moment to moment gameplay in the series.

There's just not a single shooter out there which just feels as good to play. Effortlessly flying across the map whilst 5 shotting people is just so damn satisfying n

wwm0nkey

Personally I find 5 to have easily the best moment to moment gameplay in the series.

There's just not a single shooter out there which just feels as good to play. Effortlessly flying across the map whilst 5 shotting people is just so damn satisfying n
Still think H2A has the crown.... To bad it's ya know, fucking dead basically

Juan

Still think H2A has the crown.... To bad it's ya know, fucking dead basically

I agree with this. H2A is, to me, the best Halo experience I ever had, even if it might be a bit too easy to play. Too bad it wasn't a standalone MP and had so few maps.

It was dead from the get go. But at least, it showed me I would still enjoy a classic Halo even with a new art direction. So, I guess there is still hope.

jem0208

or flinch or perks or ordnance or loadouts or mandatory flag holding, or fifteen everything that made Halo 4 Halo 4.

I was actually thinking of legendary slayer... Forgot about the perks etc.

Also flinch and no descope, basically the same thing in this context.

Also I'm talking about general moment to moment gameplay. Moving and shooting in H2A and H4 feel very similar.

I was actually thinking of legendary slayer... Forgot about the perks etc.

Also flinch and no descope, basically the same thing in this context.

I assumed that, but I think we need to always remember that what the game is like at release is in many ways more representative than what it's like right before the next comes out (likely when we last played it heavily).

For one, that's when it has the highest population and the best chance to capture people's interest. If it sucks at launch, lots of people inside and outside the fan community (i.e., us) are going to drop it and probably not come back until the next game, if at all. Secondly, it's more indicative of the developer's "vision" before it encounters the harsh reality of players that aren't on the payroll or in a beta hype-train.

People did the same thing for Reach... "MLG Zero Bloom DMRs is awesome on the actual good Sanctuary remake! Halo 4 Infinity Slayer sucks!" Of course, Halo 4 Infinity Slayer did suck, it just sucked a little less in comparison to default Reach AR starts on Swordbase.

Trup1aya

I dunno, i think ever halo game has something worth borrowing from to create the perfect halo game.

CE had the best approach to sandbox balancing and the first half of campaign had what SHOULD have set the standard for SP level design
2 streamlined the mechanics - (for better or worse) broadening the appeal
3 had those extra features that helped maintain a broad, long lasting community.
ODST had firefight
Reach had was a complete suite and had armor customization and progression done right
4 had what could have be a trend setting persistent co-op experience if 343 had executed better.
5 has the most impressive forge, the imperfect yet popular (and lucrative) warzone, and is the first to bring a customs browser.

Take the things that have proven to be immensely popular with each version of the game and make something that is better than its predecessors. Stop taking steps backwards to move forward. take risks but don't compromise beloved aspects of the franchise. Learn from the past and build upon what is known to work rather than reinventing the wheel. Capitalize on halos unique strengths instead of shoehorning design philosophies that don't fit the sandbox.

Juan

Yup, every Halo had a specific aspect that should have been kept for each sequel. Spartan Ops was such a huge step in the right direction regarding Halo being a game as a service, too bad it costs us Firefight and was poorly executed during the first half of the first season...

Off-topic: Hey Monkey, I saw you were also a Burnout Revenge player back in the days. Do you still own the game? Do you know if there are players on the Live? I heard the servers will be shut-down in October, so I thought about giving this perfect game a farewell and play the hell of it before the end.

Mau5

Snakebite was saying how he had to remove the PC version of H5 forge because it's too good and it reminds him of how bad the console version is. When they were playing money 8's they all kept talking about how the PC version is superior I still haven't tried it.

Cranster

Banned
Interesting how people like to gloss over the issues with Bungie's Halo games though. From the over powered pistol in Halo 1, removal of the AR and unbalanced/glitch ridden Halo 2, Halo 3 aging poorly due to terrible shooting mechanics/lack of hitscan and of course starting the trend of copying other games IE, Armor Abilities and loadouts in Reach.

There never was a perfect Halo game released as each Halo game had many issues in the gameplay department, I would also argue that despite Halo 5's campaign story flaws it atleast tries unlike Halo 3 and Destiny.

Interesting how people like to gloss over the issues with Bungie's Halo games. From the over powered pistol in Halo 1, removal of the AR and unbalanced/glitch ridden Halo 2, Halo 3 aging poorly due to terrible shooting mechanics/lack of hitscan and of course starting the trend of copying other games IE, Armor Abilities and loadouts in Reach.

There never was a perfect Halo game released as each Halo game had many issues in the gameplay department, I would also argue that despite Halo 5's campaign story flaws it atleast tries unlike Halo 3 and Destiny.

Like I said, the Bungie games were fun despite the problems, just like destiny is now. Halo now has problems without any of the fun. I played Halo then mostly for customs. Me and my friends would get together and we play custom games all night. The custom games at so many options back then that you could practically set up any kind of custom game. When Halo 5 came out most of the options weren't even there anymore, a lot of the staple game types that I used to set up weren't even available like oddball, Juggernaut or koth. So what happened? my friends stopped playing and moved on to other games. That's something that would not have happened with Bungie. This is what I hate about 343 Industries. They seem completely oblivious to what made Halo fun. I mean they're on their what, third or fourth game? How do you not have that nail down by now? Just insane to me.

And honestly, I'm running out of patience with 343 and their excuses

Detective

I could add more lines here but I'll just leave at that.

Madness

If you think Sprint is why the game isn't fun then you have no idea why the game isn't Fun

Lol I wasn't being too serious. I have my own reasons for why the game isn't fun. I just remember your sheer hard on for Sprint and obliviousness as to why many fans, forgers, pros don't like it means something you don't like others may love. I mean in that post Defect quoted, it just talks about anecdotal feelings instead of any real observable changes. Bungie is making their games more fun. What is making their game more fun to you? Grinding a certain area till you get an RnG loot drop? Or is it the babys first shooter supers etc. Destiny 2 is okay to play. Quite a few issues. If H5 doesn't cut it for you, why? For many of us, sprint impacts everything from gunplay, weapon and player engagement to map design. What issue do you have most with H5 you think Destiny 2 does better for PvP?

Juan

What is making their game more fun to you? Grinding a certain area till you get an RnG loot drop? Or is it the babys first shooter supers etc. Destiny 2 is okay to play. Quite a few issues. If H5 doesn't cut it for you, why? For many of us, sprint impacts everything from gunplay, weapon and player engagement to map design. What issue do you have most with H5 you think Destiny 2 does better for PvP?

Well, I think Vincent especially told the PvP part from Destiny wasn't the thing here, only the PvE part, so that's not really a topic to debate about, or is it?

Again, Vincent did talk about the feeling, the gameplay, and not the thing surrounding Destiny like loot and grind.

Sprint impacted map design in Halo 5 in a bad way, for sure, but in Halo 4, and even Reach, maps weren't build with Sprint in mind and it was actually a not-so-bad addition to the game (even if I still like my Halo without sprint).

Destiny is fun on its basis, gunplay feels really good and fun. Halo 5 gunplay is (again, personal opinion) messy, not fun and frustrating.

Like I said, the Bungie games were fun despite the problems, just like destiny is now. Halo now has problems without any of the fun. I played Halo then mostly for customs. Me and my friends would get together and we play custom games all night. The custom games at so many options back then that you could practically set up any kind of custom game. When Halo 5 came out most of the options weren't even there anymore, a lot of the staple game types that I used to set up weren't even available like oddball, Juggernaut or koth. So what happened? my friends stopped playing and moved on to other games. That's something that would not have happened with Bungie. This is what I hate about 343 Industries. They seem completely oblivious to what made Halo fun. I mean they're on their what, third or fourth game? How do you not have that nail down by now? Just insane to me.

And honestly, I'm running out of patience with 343 and their excuses
I'm reading this, and it's kinda hard not to think that to an extent it's a problem that lives more in your head than anywhere else. If all the games are flawed to various extents, and the exact nature of how keeps changing, and the only real constant is Bungie=Good, 343=Bad... maybe it's just that you're judging the new guys by different standards than the old? Especially if you're really digging Destiny.

That's not a knock, mind. Most everything about what makes "fun" fun lives in our heads. But, I mean, H5 DOES have strengths. Maybe the reason why you're so ready to discard them isn't on the game.

The game in its current state is fun. To say it isn't would be disingenuous. But it's also far too complicated for its own good. The number of things to manage completely depart from the simplicity of traditional halo. The steep learning curve in halo 5 alienates newcomers to the game and old time fans that just enjoyed shooting the breeze in matchmaking/custom games. The competitive type sticks with the game and suffers through sweaty match after sweaty match, but also can no longer find the child-like excitement that the older games made them feel. At least that is how it feels in my case.

Then you throw in the wonky aim and all the bugs, the lack of quality new maps being put into matchmaking, and the questionable settings in some playlists, such as BTB, and stuff like turn based one bomb assault (not neutral bomb) and one flag being MIA, it's not hard to see why H5 is struggling right now. Why 343 is wasting time on adjusting individual weapons when there are far greater problems in the game that they could tackle is beyond me.

I still think the best thing they could have done is introduced some quality dev made maps. But it's too late for that now and no amount of tinkering is going to bring old players back to halo 5. They'd be better off going back and fixing tmcc to be honest. That is such an awesome game. The value in making it work as originally intended would far exceed anything they can do to Halo 5. Alas, I will just look forward to Halo 6 and hope it doesn't get pushed to 2019.

op_ivy

Snakebite was saying how he had to remove the PC version of H5 forge because it's too good and it reminds him of how bad the console version is. When they were playing money 8's they all kept talking about how the PC version is superior I still haven't tried it.

I kind of wonder if the x1x version will capture the, apparently, superior feel of the PC game? Like, somehow it's (aiming issues) all tied in to engine performance

Top Bottom