• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Exquisik

Regardless of what the score on Metacritic will be, everyone that wants to play Halo will pick it up, including myself. Although it's disappointing to hear about the mixed reviews on the campaign and the limited appearance of Master Chief compared to Locke, but hopefully 343 will learn from the development of this game and develop one of the best Halo in Halo 6. I will be picking up this game later down the road when more maps are released.

GHG

Do we know if the multiplayer works this time though?

I'm desperate for something other than Forza to play on my Xbox one and a 6-7 hour shooter campaign doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

The more advanced and realistic games get, the more difficult it becomes to make exceptional games. Back in 2001 there was nowhere to go but up. So because of this Reviewers should definatley become harder on games. Companys are milking franchise's like crazy nowadys with little improvement on the previous installments(looking at you AC). 9's should only be given to the best of games.

Trace

Banned
Surprised the scores are as low as they are. Not that I expect the game to be bad at all, just surprised it's not hitting 90s.

Do we know if the multiplayer works this time though?

I'm desperate for something other than Forza to play on my Xbox one and a 6-7 hour shooter campaign doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

Well, Pre-Release multiyplayer works when i go watch the livestream, let's hope won't change after release.

ekim

Read through 2 German reviews and I now find it rather confusing. One says it's the best story since Halo 3 while the other says it's on the lower end. Different tastes I guess.

JPLMD

My god the rationale here, trying to compare Halo to the witcher and MGSV XD

It's halo...again. You can't really compare masterpieces to this type of game. I love Halo and I'll gladly pick this up but people were delusional to expect this game to be scoring 95+ on metacritic.

Falcker

Those games were exceptional which is why they got those scores. Reviewers are absolutely more critical and reserved with scores than they were even 5 years ago

So you are saying good games review well?

Who da thunk it?

Last year we saw a litany of good games getting showered in great ratings (SoM/Farcry/DAI). Reviewers are not getting more critical just because sequel fatigue is setting in on all these franchises 5-10 games into their series.

This is really interesting to me as two of the three of these titles I couldn't even be bothered to beat and the other one I hear isn't any better in that regard (mgs).

The witcher 3 might be the one of my least favorite games I've played this generation.

That's how opinions work and probably a good indication your evaluations don't align with the mainstream games press

So you are saying good games review well?

Who da thunk it?

Last year we saw a litany of good games getting showered in great ratings (SoM/Farcry/DAI). Reviewers are not getting more critical just because sequel fatigue is setting in on all these franchises 5-10 games into their series.

Well I mean there's not really any good way to determine this so I guess it's moot to argue it.

I do feel that outlets are more likely to give a lower score to a major franchise than they were last gen, and just from reading articles and comments from journalists I follow I do think they're scrutinizing things more closely.

B.O.O.M

While the overall meta (at the moment) seems to be on the lower side of expectations, these are still good scores for the game. I'm sure the fans will enjoy it.

What's the deal with Metacritic? Reviews get added and then deleted minutes later.

5423454+_e29a9d7015d74ecff7a27c0946ec942a.gif

Peterpan

I think even if you create an amazing Halo game, not saying Halo 5 isn't amazing, I wouldn't know I haven't played it. It will never score like Halo combat evolved, it shows with every Halo game scoring lower than Halo:CE. It becomes problematic as the fans will crucify you for every little change, so what do you do?

DOWN

Banned
Yikes, some reviews basically say this is hands-down the most distant from Halo's signature mysterious alien atmosphere and in turn devolves into the series' worst and most confusing campaign story. Basically, lay off the military tribal insect bro-team 343 since it is le such
Hope I love it anyway tbh

big_z

People are disappointed at the meta score? Come on its halo! It's a very known quantity now (what the 7th game not counting spin offs?) scores are just going to be lower.

This was never going to be in the 90s

ya pretty much every series faces the problem of changing things up and alienating the hardcore or making another really good iteration but possibly facing review fatigue. considering this ones vastly getting 8s and 9s with only the odd outlier it seems like solid buy and a no brainer to any halo fan.

Tratorn

Some people should wait before getting "disappointed" about the meta. If you look at the review list there, these are almost only small sites besides Destructoid, Giantbomb (and The Escapist?). The big sites, which have high impact on the score, aren't there yet because they want to test the MP first before giving their final score. So it easily can still get to >= 90. It can get worse too of couse, but the campaign impressions mostly seem positive, so I'm expecting high scores from them.

AHA-Lambda

ya pretty much every series faces the problem of changing things up and alienating the hardcore or making another really good iteration but possibly facing review fatigue. considering this ones vastly getting 8s and 9s with only the odd outlier it seems like solid buy and a no brainer to any halo fan.

Agreed, yet I'm getting UC3 flashbacks here >_>

This game should only get scores until after the game released.

Seriously, what if the MP is a major fuck up again (which I don't believe)?
Respect to the sites who have a Review in Progress.

Random17

As much as people love Halo, I hope MS let 343 do something fresh.
They tried it with Halo 4, and it didn't work. No need for a major change in Halo, I don't understand why people keep asking for major changes when it is completely unnecessary. Iterative and additive changes, like the Spartan abilities in Halo 5, are always the better way to do things in this franchise.

Top Bottom