• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Tyrus

Banned
And here I was posting hoping that the story made sense without a bunch of novels for backstory.

That's a dealbreaker for me. The whole point of the set pieces and levels and is that they're contextualised around a meaningful story. I don't want to spend another 8 hours meandering around alien planets not knowing why the hell I'm even here, who the bad guy is, what his motivations are, and how to stop him.

Stinkles said it would be clear enough for non-expanded universe readers heaps when asked, too. Shame to hear. I want Blue Team's significance to be explored and explained enough in the game. I'll obviously hope how I see the story is different to the reviewer though.

Karak

I only really play Halo for the story so to are so many reviews day it's a bit of let down is disappointing.

I haven't pre ordered so might wait for Gaffer inpressions and just pick it up cheap near Christmas.

As someone who reviewed it, and is a Gafer AND plays Halo more for the story I can say that I personally found it a bit disenchanting until about halfway through where it picked up and became much better. My other cochair liked it from start to finish.

Also about the story needing expanded content to understand. Maybe so but not much.

Walpurgis

Banned
I support the move to OpenCritic. Metacritic's arbitrary weighing system does not serve users. Same with excluding reviews that don't provide a score.

Random17

Seems like there is
different ending scene
if you play on legendary and ign did not include that in the review.

I haven't played the game so don't know how important that is.
The Legendary ending is
simply hinting at what's to come. Reviewers are right about the lack of closure.

weekev

Banned
86 Meta so far. For any franchise that is a solid score. Its not gonna be threaten Bloodborne or Witcher 3 for GOTY but it looks like a good reason for most to pick up an X1.

DOWN

Banned
They've really lost the more mysterious and chilling tones they went for with the aliens and the very mechanical presentation of the humans. There was a little more of a lingering, cold tone to Halo under Bungie's reign that made it feel quite in line with science fiction wonder. They are trying to get this sort of odd fraternity out of the humans now alongside a strange sense of decayed ritual in the covenant design, and it doesn't give enough room for interpretation to feel as unusual, and therefore even a bit sophisticated, as Halo once seemed to be.

Sai-kun

Banned
Seems like there is
different ending scene
if you play on legendary and ign did not include that in the review.

I haven't played the game so don't know how important that is.

its not different, it's just an additional scene.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Story is really what I care least about. Level design is far more important to me. I don't have time to read all these reviews, but has Halo 5's level design basically gone the Halo 4 route of combat arenas linked by hallways?
Unfortunately, I DO kind of feel that it's still combat arenas linked by hallways.

The actual arenas are more interesting this time but it's very much the Halo 4 design. That's the real victory here.

There's nothing like the second mission of Halo CE, for instance.

Random17

Most reviewers don't over analyze the game and give out scores based on individual features, but rather a score based on their overall impression of the game.

I wonder if Halo 4's great graphics (at the time) put it in a better limelight in the reviewers eyes, at least subconsciously? Halo 4 is seemingly overrated compared to Halo 5. Halo 5 is not as graphically impressive.

I haven't actually went through any reviews but the consensus on the story of halo 5 is, it didn't live up to anyone's expectations but its not a bad story, just a familiar formula?

if that's the case with excellent 60fps multiplayer modes I'm fine with this.

Sounds like from a gameplay perspective it might be the best in the series but the story doesn't live up and the AI partners are bad.

So, best gameplay, most innovative, best MP in the series, lowest score?
Things does not add up.

I don't think a Halo ass Halo campaign in 2015 getting solid, if unspectacular scores from most reviewers is all that surprising, regardless of how good the core gameplay is. I do hope the multiplayer at least hooks long time fans, while bringing in a nice amount of new people(who will stick around). I already know I'm gonna enjoy it.

JPLMD

Things does not add up.

Please let's not throw around innovative for a halo game unless we are talking about CE. It does some things well and other things not so well. The consensus is that the games MP is where it shines.

Gameplay is solid and anyone who is a Halo fan should pick it up and likely won't be disappointed.

AHA-Lambda

So basically its Halo 5: The Phantom Pain. Only they actually docked points for the shaky story instead of handing out 10s like candy?

200w.gif

My god this thread is just gold XD

Karak

Unfortunately, I DO kind of feel that it's still combat arenas linked by hallways.

The actual arenas are more interesting this time but it's very much the Halo 4 design.

Ya absolutely. Its most definitely a familiar feeling to the Halo 4 design. Nothing near H1 or even the Scarab H3 stuff

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
From the Eurogamer campaign pre-review:

Throughout it all, I couldn't help but notice this nagging feeling that Halo 5 was old-fashioned. In the age of open worlds, hub and spoke designs and persistent, experience point-powered shared-world shooters, Halo 5's linear, cut-scene-packed campaign just doesn't cut it.

U wot m8.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Great gameplay improvements help bolster what is other wise a weak or just alright story. Spoiler thread looks a whole lot like the MGSV one to me.
MGSV is such a massive, varied, and unique game. There's really not much else like it.

Halo 5 is another campaign shooter with the same structure as previous games. It's pretty short and it tells a linear story.

The very nature of what the two games are makes it impossible to compare them. If MGSV had followed the model of previous MGS games I think the reaction would be different.

Things does not add up.

what I'm getting is apparently the story itself doesn't live up to some reviewers expectations, but is by no means bad. I mean an 86 on metaciritc to me isn't bad at all, especially considering this is the 5th iteration of the series (main story wise)

OP, for the Xet.be Dutch translation:

"Halo 5: Guardians offers so much content that it wel even keep the most seasoned players satisfied for months. The campaign is one of the best ever and offers enormous replayability. The multiplayer is one of the biggest ever with tho completely different modes that offer a completely different experience, from classic Halo to gigantic battles. Added, Halo 5 simply plays great. The mix of classic Halo gameplay and modern spartan abilities readies Halo for another decenium at the top. Halo 5: Guardians is not perfect, but 343 proves that it can make a damn good Halo game, and thus a fantastic shooter. As an Xbox One owner, you simply must purchase Halo 5: Guardians, period!"

Random17

Ya absolutely. Its most definitely a familiar feeling to the Halo 4 design. Nothing near H1 or even the Scarab H3 stuff

95% of Halo 3 is linear corridors, 85% of CE is super linear Forerunner hallways.

Halo 5 doesn't have Scarab battles or the Silent Cartographer, but I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Halo CE and 3 are open. They are very, very linear games for most part.

Karak

95% of Halo 3 is linear corridors, 85% of CE is super linear Forerunner hallways.

Halo 5 doesn't have Scarab battles or the Silent Cartographer, but I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Halo CE and 3 are open. They are very, very linear games for most part.

95% is more than 0. Simple math comparing separate battlegrounds across mission structures.

OP, for the Xet.be Dutch translation:

"Halo 5: Guardians offers so much content that it wel even keep the most seasoned players satisfied for months. The campaign is one of the best ever and offers enormous replayability. The multiplayer is one of the biggest ever with tho completely different modes that offer a completely different experience, from classic Halo to gigantic battles. Added, Halo 5 simply plays great. The mix of classic Halo gameplay and modern spartan abilities readies Halo for another decenium at the top. Halo 5: Guardians is not perfect, but 343 proves that it can make a damn good Halo game, and thus a fantastic shooter. As an Xbox One owner, you simply must purchase Halo 4: Guardians, period!"

Errr, dat typo

strata8

From the Eurogamer campaign pre-review:

U wot m8.

You missed a bit!

At first, I thought, Halo could do with all these things. I enjoy these things, and Halo doesn't have them.

But perhaps the fact Halo 5 doesn't have these things is its strength. Perhaps because every triple-A game nowadays has the same underlying mechanics, those same soft-grind, RPG-lite bits and bobs designed to prey on the bit of our brain that demands the numbers always go up, Halo 5's eight hour long campaign stands out. 343 might have played it safe here in an attempt to get the Halo hardcore back onside, but the result is pure, unadulterated, old-fashioned Halo fun - and that's great.

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/658542900809039872

"My quick take on Halo 5: MP is the best since Halo 2, but campaign is the WORST in the series. Story, mission design, & more are all a mess."

He is not doing the review this time but thats pretty strong for someone who GAF has accused in the past as being a halo fanboy.

Yeah, that doesn't sound encouraging especially coming from him. Halo 2 was my favorite multiplayer so yay on that

Top Bottom