• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Hoo-doo

Banned
Some people should wait before getting "disappointed" about the meta. If you look at the review list there, these are almost only small sites besides Destructoid, Giantbomb (and The Escapist?). The big sites, which have high impact on the score, aren't there yet because they want to test the MP first before giving their final score. So it easily can still get to >= 90. It can get worse too of couse, but the campaign impressions mostly seem positive, so I'm expecting high scores from them.

And that's why we all should move to Opencritic.

Because do we really want to put more weight on a IGN review compared to a Dtoid review? Fuck no.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I pretty much saw this type of average given the way the story developed. Although I thought it would do better than 4 given reviewers scores for flagships lately. People saying it's because of the Locke:Chief campaign ratio prob have not watched it. The idea is good, the execution was just poor and once people play it they'll see why 343i missed the mark. It's got more to do with character development, quality of dialogue, scene construction and set up, pace, character motivations, antagonist vs. protagonist relationship, the boss (
Warden ET
), the ending and
the fight
. It's quite a bit of a mess in that regard for today's standards. 6-10 years ago this would of gotten 9's and 10s all over the place but these days what's offered campaign wise is not enough. Majority of reviewers are on point on gameplay, A.I, sandbox levels and MP. Looks like the best in the series in that regard.

Don't get so hung up on the scores. Halo 5 maybe have more contentcontent, better framerate, better campaign that 4 etc etc but mindsets and opinions at the time of release are fickle things.

Yeah I guess you're right, as long as we halo fans know that 5 is waayyyy better than 4, numbers won't mean a thing

BokehKing

Banned
When every review mentions something about the story being ...being dependent on expanded universe....again (when will they stop doing this?)

That's worrisome

DocSeuss

Worth noting that overall average metascores are going down year over year and it's next to impossible to get a 90+ on metacritic these days. It's not as easy now as it was in, say, 2007.

Fingers crossed it's good, but all the "story's bad and AI is dumb" stuff has me worried.

Skux

At the same time, Guardians repeats Halo 4’s mistake of telling a story that can’t stand on its own without Halo’s expanded universe.

And here I was posting hoping that the story made sense without a bunch of novels for backstory.

That's a dealbreaker for me. The whole point of the set pieces and levels and is that they're contextualised around a meaningful story. I don't want to spend another 8 hours meandering around alien planets not knowing why the hell I'm even here, who the bad guy is, what his motivations are, and how to stop him.

Random17

When every review mentions something about the story being ...being dependent on expanded universe....again (when will they stop doing this?)

That's worrisome

Most reviewers don't say that, they do however say that the story is disappointing. It's not true in the case of Halo 5, at least nowhere near as much as Halo 4.

I was just about to shut the computer off too, I mean within 3 pages of the review thread something was spoiled. It's not hard not to write shit like that, I don't get it, there's a spoiler thread that can be used for that stuff.

Hey man, I'm really sorry about that. Didn't mean to spoil that part.
She shows up pretty early on in the game
so I didn't really consider it as a big spoiler. My apologies.

They all follow such a similar formula that they end up reviewing similarly.

She risks are taken and they do something different with an AAA budget it ends up being spectacular (Witcher 3), or failing miserably (the order 1886). Its a risk that few are willing to take, which is understandable.
Yup yup. It's about minimizing risk but maximizing possible market impact to make the most money. That's the safest business model, of course, but it results in games that could have been something more. I'll typically respect things that were generally panned like Knack or The Order because at least it's something different. I think the only games this year that actually matched expectations (at 90+) are Bloodborne and MGSV. Witcher 3 was a bit of an unexpected standout, not that I'm complaining. Peeling the hype away this is what I was expecting from Halo 5.

At least the formula for shooters and action games isn't as stale and sterilized as sports yet.

Halo being Halo, hopefully the multiplayer holds up under stress and has legs. Sort of like modern CoD titles it can perhaps transcend its score in terms of raw entertainment value, which is the metric most gamers actually care about. Oh, and standard reminder that no game should actually be ashamed of a mid-80s meta, christ.

Mattenth

dunno, after reading that destructoid review im not sure what amount of credit they deserve. Contradicts so many other reviews content wise.

Well... You could, you know, turn off Destructoid if you don't like their stance and see what the average is without them.

I'd actually pitch that you should use OpenCritic because it allows scores to change, or publications to hold back from issuing verdicts.

As an example, on our Halo 5 page: http://opencritic.com/#!game/1513/halo-5-guardians

Videogamer, IGN, Pixel Dynamo, Game Trailers, and GamesRadar+ - these publications shouldn't be "cut out" of review aggregation just because they don't issue a score.

Random17

It's a little unnerving when parts of the game you market the most might be the weakest points of your game.

And when the marketing doesn't match the game is also worrying. At least Halo 2 marketing was still based in similar settings to what we saw in release (and the Mombasa missions were great, to top it off).

Reviewers have said (and I agree), that the Locke vs Chief thing was super disappointing.

Hey man, I'm really sorry about that. Didn't mean to spoil that part.
She shows up pretty early on in the game
so I didn't really consider it as a big spoiler. My apologies.

It's all good dude, I accept your apology, but for future reference no matter when something in a story pops up, it's still considered a spoiler. If it wasn't shown by the developers themselves then it shouldn't really be discussed in non spoiler threads.

Peterpan

I pretty much saw this type of average given the way the story developed. People saying it's because of the Locke:Chief campaign ratio prob have not watched it. The idea is good, the execution was just poor and once people play it they'll see why 343i missed it.
So it's getting poor reviews, because of a poor story? I doubt that and if it is, I don't mind. Story is good for first playthrough after that not so much. Games with poor stories still get high scores.

rjcc

Do we know if the multiplayer works this time though?

I'm desperate for something other than Forza to play on my Xbox one and a 6-7 hour shooter campaign doesn't do it for me unfortunately.

It's worked decently since Thursday, but no one knows what millions of players will do to the servers until they arrive.

High scores for Halo 5 with 7 hrs campaign and no MP?

Okay then.

?

edit: i think the thing that became real obvious since people started pointing out that the marketing was "the beginning of the greatest hunt..." was that it was going to have a halo 2 style cliffhanger, and the GB review makes that pretty clear. might be a big reason why the campaign is so divisive--people hated that about H2 back in the day but you still see time from time people who belive it had one of the better campaigns in the series these days.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So it's getting poor reviews, because of a poor story? I doubt that and if it is, I don't mind. Story is good for first playthrough after that not so much. Games with poor stories still get high score.

Poor reviews? It's getting great reviews, just not GOTY reviews or masterpiece reviews. Those are the games that break the 9.0 META barrier. It's clear the story for many reviewers is holding their score down from otherwise 9s/10s since gameplay and MP are top notch.

RulkezX

I only really play Halo for the story so to hear so many reviews say it's a bit of let down is disappointing.

I haven't pre ordered so might wait for Gaffer inpressions and just pick it up cheap near Christmas.

Timu

no review from gamespot yet?
It'll be out later!
iWiAQN8.png

Anung

Un Rama
So basically its Halo 5: The Phantom Pain. Only they actually docked points for the shaky story instead of handing out 10s like candy?

In a way Halo 5 is paying for Halo 4's sins. Halo 4 got crazy high scores even though it was mediocre so a lot of places seem to be thinking more critically with this one.

Honestly the best games are usually the most varied in review scores. Seriously. So many good game have gotten average to ok overall scores. Odd, but it happens.

GavinGT

Banned
Story is really what I care least about. Level design is far more important to me. I don't have time to read all these reviews, but has Halo 5's level design basically gone the Halo 4 route of combat arenas linked by hallways?

Gwyn

Seems like there is
different ending scene
if you play on legendary and ign did not include that in the review.

I haven't played the game so don't know how important that is.

jfoul

So it's getting poor reviews, because of a poor story? I doubt that and if it is, I don't mind. Story is good for first playthrough after that not so much. Games with poor stories still get high scores.

Where are all of these 5/10 & 2/5 reviews? I must be missing them.

EDIT: Thread is moving fast
Not poor, less than expected scores. Poor word choice on my part.

Anung

Un Rama
Story is really what I care least about. Level design is far more important to me. I don't have time to read all these reviews, but has Halo 5's level design basically gone the Halo 4 route of combat arenas linked by hallways?

The level design in this is fantastic and one of the games stand out features. Open, varied and nice verticality.

Random17

Definitely not, it's a lot more open. There are some linear levels, but that's the case with every single Halo game, including CE. They even have some non-combat areas.

I haven't actually went through any reviews but the consensus on the story of halo 5 is, it didn't live up to anyone's expectations but its not a bad story, just a familiar formula?

if that's the case with excellent 60fps multiplayer modes I'm fine with this.

Top Bottom