• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

monome

wwm0nkey said:
I have a feeling we will see stuff like terminals in future Halo games that will explain things.

New CG animated feature, BELIEVE!
343 will certainly play around the lore and its mysteries for the marketing campaign, it's a defining difference between COD and HALO.

wwm0nkey

TheOddOne said:
While I like the animated terminals, I do hope they keep text based terminals too. I find text to be more mysterious :)
I would not like that, these animated terminals where amazing and I hope they are here to stay. Seriously the Keyes and The Maw terminal where just flat out amazing.

monome

wwm0nkey said:
I have a feeling we will see stuff like terminals in future Halo games that will explain things.

You meant in the games, sorry. Of course! they put a secret access in their community application so terminals of some sort will be offered but maybe not not on the same volume as in Anniversary because they need money money for the cinematics which I expect to be glorious.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
S1kkZ said:
the only thing i am worried about: with the huge amount of story stuff told in the recent (and upcoming) novels, will halo fans who only play the games be able to make sense of it all when they play halo 4? or will 343 just ignore most of the story stuff like bungie did with halo 1-reach? they cannot fit all of the background information from cryptum and glasslands (havent read it yet) into halo 4, right?

All stories will work as connected pieces, or standalone.

Karl2177

Terminal talk? Oh my. I'm just going to spoiler the whole thing, just in case. I should also point out that the only Halo books I've read are The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx.

So the AI in the T&R terminal says a lot of stuff that makes me think that it's more than Covenant. So the Covenant reuses and integrates Forerunner stuff like Engineers and Forerunner engineering into their designs. What if there was a sort of Forerunner/Precursor AI that they repurposed for their needs. I remember somewhere, I think it was the books, that Cortana talks about a Covenant AI not being too smart, but I think it's just hiding something. It really sounds like it wants to unleash the Flood and not start the Great Journey.

2401 Penitent Tangent's messages were because the Flood was unleashed on Installation 05. As someone already pointed out, it was apparent in Halo 2 that the Flood had been out for a while prior to either Covenant or Human arrival. They just had no way of escaping the installation. Also in the SC terminal, Guilty Spark talks about what he was promised. An end to strife. His wording of being promised something leads me to believe that the Monitors themselves were once Forerunners. With that thought, if you rewatch the terminal for Halo, their use of "we" makes a bit more sense. I'm assuming Guilty Spark was ejecting the matter into space in case the ring was ever destroyed. Then the incoming sentient life was the same ship as the AotCR terminal.

I have a feeling the sentient's ship is from our surviving Forerunner friends that have been in hiding all these years. Was anyone aboard? No. It was simply a probe to see if the Installation was still operable. With Guilty Spark covering up the distress signal, then the Forerunners wouldn't get a message back. As a result they would know it is still working properly. Again, Guilty Spark says that he has a duty, but his hesitation before that shows signs that he had other thoughts about the vessel. This still makes me think he was once a Forerunner. "I shall obey, and content myself to monitor."

In the Guilty Spark terminal, Guilty Spark says he regrets waiting to be judged, while the judges died. Then Guilty Spark talks about the Flood and keeping samples. If the Librarian is correct, and there is a way to defeat the Flood, then that puts in a predicament for post-Halo 3 events. We destroyed the Gravemind from Installation 05, and we blew up the proto-Gravemind on Installation 04. What I think is that the Flood is one with each other and are always seeking to find a way to contact each other. The proto-Gravemind + Keyes was trying to find a way to communicate with any other remaining Flood. Then it could maybe use the Covenant ship as a way to escape the Installation as the other Flood outbreaks on other Installations were doing.

The Library terminal makes me even more curious to Guilty Spark's life prior to becoming a Monitor(assuming that theory is true). His repetition of "alone" makes me think he had a "love" before the events of the Halo Array took place. Since I haven't read Cryptum, I can't be certain of Forerunner love, but it seems to fit. "This is not what I had in mind when I volunteered." That line makes my theory seem a bit better. The whole Library terminal says a lot, and I don't really want to take up 10000 lines trying to put it to words of what all it could mean. Maybe later.

Two Betrayals terminal said there were 12 original rings. Why didn't Installation 00 recreate the other 5 rings similar to how it recreated Installation 04? "The rest of the Librarian's plan"? We'll be seeing her in the future. Why was the Didact refused by the Council? Who's the lady in the pink dress in the Keyes terminal? The Maw terminal directly links to the bonus terminal in Waypoint. We know Guilty Spark used the Heretic Leader to start the subversion of the Covenant and gain access to all the other installations. If only he'd been able to see Penitent Tangent while he was on Delta Halo/05. "single company of Prometheans." Is Didact a Promethean and what the fuck is a Promethean? We'll definitely be seeing them later.

If you don't know or don't want to know the locations of skulls/terminals on The Library and Two Betrayals, then don't watch!! I laughed so hard at Joel throughout this video.

monome

Cryptum presents the internet of Forunners as the Domain. One great deception 343GS is that it gets separated from the Domain as it strats its mission. The Domain keeps track of all Forunner history, culture, maybe individual personnalities so as 343GS is built upon that it doesn't not need to have been created from someone but built from memory pieces stored in the domain with maybe more persistent traits from one invidual
The librarian has introduced a modification to the DNA of humans, they are regressed from their prior state of glory in Cryptum but that change is an indication they are bound to realise something the librarian thinks forunners are not capable of.

yes the AI is a bit megalomaniac and Halo loves its tricky AIs but I have no good story on that

Also no theory on the timing of the arrival of the sexy ship, but it is suspiciously set

monome

OuterWorldVoice said:
All stories will work as connected pieces, or standalone.

that's why Primordium switches perspective, to be new reader friendly? while continuing the events of Cryptum to reward its readers.

monome

S1kkZ said:
yeah, that would be awesome. i hope the animated terminals are now a part of every halo game. bungie left all the story stuff out of the games and moved it to the novels and it worked (for the most part). but i am not so sure if this will work for halo 4.

Once you get the element of mystery out the equation, and you are saying what is what it is easier to present.

Books introduce characters and locations and stuff in strip tease kind of way, with flashes along the way.
In the game a well executed cutscene acts like having sexe ;-) you don't need a strip tease to enjoy it. It will introduce characters, relationships, locations, technologies in a few images, speeches, attitudes, designs so you're up with the guys who read the books.

But for those who got to be teased before, it adds gravita and thus pleasure

WOW OK

Me and my buddy get randomly disconnected (not from Xbox Live, mind you) 3 times around 3/4 through AotCR, so the one time I decide to save and quit to preserve a checkpoint in the event of a disconnect, I learn that you can't save in coop. 30 more minutes wasted.

What the fuck, 343. Between this shit and the horrid input lag, your coop is fucking broken. Can't wait for fucking Halo 4.

The Xtortionist said:
WOW OK

Me and my buddy get randomly disconnected (not from Xbox Live, mind you) 3 times around 3/4 through AotCR, so the one time I decide to save and quit to preserve a checkpoint in the event of a disconnect, I learn that you can't save in coop. 30 more minutes wasted.

What the fuck, 343. Between this shit and the horrid input lag, your coop is fucking broken. Can't wait for fucking Halo 4.
You couldn't save coop progress in the original either. Staying true FTW?

ElRenoRaven

So interesting thing. You know how I complained about the rumble. Well I was talking to a friend today and he said it was fine. So turns out he was playing on a wireless controller while I was playing on a wired controller. So I switch to my wireless to test and sure enough the rumble is fine on it.

So what's up with that? How can the rumble be so overdone on a wired 360 controller vs a wireless?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
So interesting thing. You know how I complained about the rumble. Well I was talking to a friend today and he said it was fine. So turns out he was playing on a wireless controller while I was playing on a wired controller. So I switch to my wireless to test and sure enough the rumble is fine on it.

So what's up with that? How can the rumble be so overdone on a wired 360 controller vs a wireless?

POWA

OverHeat

« generous god »
Sometime horizontal mouvement from the right joystic slowdown to a crawl wonder what is causing it. Playing at default speed 3 by the way.

PsychoRaven said:
That was my guess too. The only possible reason. Either way an option to turn rumble off would have been nice.
Pretty sure you can just do that in your profile settings from the Xbox Guide menu.

ElRenoRaven

Barrow Roll said:
Pretty sure you can just do that in your profile settings from the Xbox Guide menu.

That is just preferences for each game. If a game doesn't have that option it will be on if I remember correctly. I'll double check though.

Rickenslacker said:
Start > Controls > Vibration?

WTF. I looked it over and so did my friend and neither of us saw a vibration option. But there it is. That's fucked up too. I looked multiple times and even he did when I mentioned it.

Blinding

PsychoRaven said:
WTF. I looked it over and so did my friend and neither of us saw a vibration option. But there it is.

I think that option only shows up when accessing the settings from the main menu, not in-game.

ElRenoRaven

Blinding said:
I think that option only shows up when accessing the settings from the main menu, not in-game.

Ah. That might explain it. And nope. It's there then too. How the hell can 2 people miss it multiple times each? smh @ myself and friend.

So damn stupid we are.

Blinding

PsychoRaven said:
Ah. That might explain it. And nope. It's there then too. How the hell can 2 people miss it multiple times each? smh @ myself and friend.

So damn stupid we are.

That's odd, I remember looking for it myself when hearing people weren't able to find it and only seeing it in the main menu settings screen. Guess I missed it too.

ElRenoRaven

Blinding said:
That's odd, I remember looking for it myself when hearing people weren't able to find it and only seeing it in the main menu settings screen. Guess I missed it too.

It's all good though. That just makes me happier because for long play sessions I like to use the wired controller to save batteries and I've been playing the hell out of it since installing and enjoying it. Between co-op and the Legendary solo run i'm doing now that's adding up. I had forgotten how long these levels can be when you have to take your time and make sure everything is dead. lol

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Is it me or did they tone the difficulty level down? I'm playing on normal and I am just blasting my way through enemies left and right. Hunters are just falling at my feet when I face them. I played the original Halo last year and remember some sections being quite difficult to get through even on normal. I may have to go up to Heroic difficulty even though I'm already at Truth and Reconciliation.

jackdoe

Guts Of Thor said:
Is it me or did they tone the difficulty level down? I'm playing on normal and I am just blasting my way through enemies left and right. Hunters are just falling at my feet when I face them. I played the original Halo last year and remember some sections being quite difficult to get through even on normal. I may have to go up to Heroic difficulty even though I'm already at Truth and Reconciliation.
Hunters were always easy on Normal though in Halo CE. One shotgun blast to the back and they're dead without even damaging you.

Guts Of Thor said:
I don't know about Normal or Heroic but Truth and Reconciliation on Legendary was just as soul crushing as I remember. That Belly of the Beast section must have taken me at least 2 hours alone.

Ramirez

Mojo said:
The game itself is still CE, so still worst in the series. Precision issues, no vehicle boarding, indoor levels are still samey and boring, the Flood are a shit enemy. I liked the Terminal moves though.

What is this...

ElRenoRaven

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
I don't know about Normal or Heroic but Truth and Reconciliation on Legendary was just as soul crushing as I remember. That Belly of the Beast section must have taken me at least 2 hours alone.

Actually The hardest part for me was just getting the lift cleared. The inside part wasn't so bad surprisingly enough which is odd cause back in the days that was one of the hardest parts of the game. It was only surpassed by The Library.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Guts Of Thor said:

Hunters are kind of a joke on any difficulty. I'm playing through the game on Heroic and Thermite told me about shooting one bullet from the pistol at a Hunter's back to kill them. It was my first time learning about this so bricks were shat when I tried it myself, to say the least.

Retro

Karl2177 said:
Who's the lady in the pink dress in the Keyes terminal?

"single company of Prometheans." Is Didact a Promethean and what the fuck is a Promethean? We'll definitely be seeing them later.

First One:
That's gotta be Halsey; Miranda Keyes is Captain Keyes and Dr. Halsey's daughter. The Journal included with the Reach SE pretty much confirms it.

Second One:
Didact is a Forerunner, what I gather from the Halo 3 terminals, he and the Librarian were partners, maybe even lovers (in as much as forerunners can be, I guess. They're obviously very close. Prometheans sound like big ass Forerunner ass-kickers or some kind of special military organization within the Forerunner society.

Hell, maybe Prometheans are to Forerunners what Spartans are to Humans. I'm thinking the big ass monster in the Concept Art trailer for Halo 4 is one of these, but who knows.

PsychoRaven said:
Actually The hardest part for me was just getting the lift cleared. The inside part wasn't so bad surprisingly enough which is odd cause back in the days that was one of the hardest parts of the game. It was only surpassed by The Library.
Maybe it's just different play styles. The lack of a pistol for the entire level completely threw me off.

Conversely, I found the Library to not be all that bad this time around. It certainly seems doable to complete it with no deaths, just have to be careful and a little lucky. I have no idea how to beat it in 30 minutes without resorting to the Bandanna skull though. =(

ElRenoRaven

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
Maybe it's just different play styles. The lack of a pistol for the entire level completely threw me off.

Conversely, I found the Library to not be all that bad this time around. It certainly seems doable to complete it with no deaths, just have to be careful and a little lucky. I have no idea how to beat it in 30 minutes without resorting to the Bandanna skull though. =(

Even then I don't see how it would be possible. That's one I really think will probably be a must for co-op. Double the firepower to take them flood bastards out.

PNut

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Even then I don't see how it would be possible. That's one I really think will probably be a must for co-op. Double the firepower to take them flood bastards out.

Yeah, I knocked it out in co-op with the Bandana skull on with 3 minutes to spare. Def the way to go.

Here's a tip for the Maw run with one minute to spare.....don't do it in co-op. For some reason it glitches if one person dies during the final run and you can't spawn back in.

Stuck at a black screen in the game. Reverting save or quitting out to the title screen doesn't help. I can still hear the game going in the background.

[EDIT: Wow, exiting the game entirely to the dashboard doesn't fix it either. I have to restart mission. So lame.]

51ylw9.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Digital-Hero said:
Stuck at a black screen in the game. Reverting save or quitting out to the title screen doesn't help. I can still hear the game going in the background.

[EDIT: Wow, exiting the game entirely to the dashboard doesn't fix it either. I have to restart mission. So lame.]

http://i39.tinypic.com/51ylw9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Did you try switching to classic graphics?

Halo is good.

i like the new graphics (aside from how brightly lit the forerunner bits are). i love the kinect commands for brightness and switching 3d on and off and the like. THAT'S useful. grenade etc isn't. analysing and scanning is cool too.

weapon switching in a game with more than two weapons at once would work nicely with kinect also.

3D is marginally disapointing from a resolution standpoint. it seems to take quite a hit in resolution. you can espescially see it in HUD elements, and text gets all stretched out, making me think that the game is running in half the vertical resolution, maybe even lower.

it does run well though, and it's how i'm going to play the single player. my favourite thing in 3D so far are grunts throwing plasma grenades at you. when they go over your head... yeah, that's cool.

cross talk varies, some parts it's pretty bad, but overall it's tolerable. like every FPS the most annoying thing crosstalk wise is your gun. a fully charged plasma rifle is likely to give someone a seisure.

but yes... i really like it. it plays so damn well. it's Halo made more colourful and forerunner areas aside that's an awesome thing. the $30 i spent on this on Amazon... well, twas an absolute steal.

i can play the anniversary playlist on both my 360s too thanks to the included code. i still have Reach, so that's always nice, making use of my secondary 360 (the DVD drive is pretty boned on it, but Reach is installed on it, so that works out). will probably get some 8 player going at some point, that would be good fun.

i wish all my favourite games from last gen would get this treatment.

789shadow said:
Why does everything in this game suck after the Flood are introduced?
I dunno, I kind of had fun playing The Library this time around. The new visuals really make a difference there, and that Shotgun is just a joy to use. I think it'd be cool if Halo 4 had a full fledged Zombie survival mode instead the current weak sauce Living Dead playlist and Zombie gametype. Have mini campaigns like Left 4 Dead in Forerunner environments and put in the deleted Flood Juggernaut from Halo 2 as a boss. Could be cool.

Did anyone else notice that while the human Flood combat forms use a new or modified model that incorporates the Reach marines the Elite combat forms use the Halo 3 model? You can tell by looking at the armor, doesn't match up with any of the Elite's they pulled from Reach. Most people will probably be too busy fighting for their lives to notice though.

789shadow said:
No, pretty much everything with the Flood sucks. Every level after AoTCR is annoying, and AoTCR was already hella tedious.
Well sir, I don't agree with your opinion but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

789shadow

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I dunno, I kind of had fun playing The Library this time around. The new visuals really make a difference there, and that Shotgun is just a joy to use. I think it'd be cool if Halo 4 had a full fledged Zombie survival mode instead the current weak sauce Living Dead playlist and Zombie gametype. Have mini campaigns like Left 4 Dead in Forerunner environments and put in the deleted Flood Juggernaut from Halo 2 as a boss. Could be cool.
No, pretty much everything with the Flood sucks. Every level after AoTCR is annoying, and AoTCR was already hella tedious.

Barrow Roll said:
I'm having the opposite reaction. The Library is more tedious this time around (I think this is the first time I've played it in about a year at least).

Newb question sorry...

If my girlfriend has Halo CE and I have Halo Reach.. Can we play multiplayer together since Halo CE has the Reach Multiplayer?

Just curious

Top Bottom