• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

i nerini del buio said:
about framerate: the worst thing is that (at least so it seems to me) it affects negatively aiming and controls responsiveness
obviously, not ignoring that this would have been an opportunity for Halo CE to be given vastly improved performance, but wasn't the framerate always like this in the Xbox version? my memory tells me it was all over the place back then. just want to make sure i'm not mad for thinking it plays just the same as ever.

I haven't seen much from the remastered visuals, but from what I have seen, they have completely ruined 'Guilty Spark' in my opinion. The original had this limited visibility with the eerie vibe, much like Alan Wake. The remastered version has these lights everywhere and it's much less eerie. The atmosphere is gone in my opinion.

The small stuff that help you find the right path should also have been excluded in my opinion. Maybe not intented by Bungie, but the fact that I got lost in the Library sometimes made me more immersed/ appreciate the game more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
obviously, not ignoring that this would have been an opportunity for Halo CE to be given vastly improved performance, but wasn't the framerate always like this in the Xbox version? my memory tells me it was all over the place back then. just want to make sure i'm not mad for thinking it plays just the same as ever.
There were some significant dips on XBOX, but it didn't suffer from this same level of jitteriness. This feels less consistent (and I loaded up the original on a real XBOX last night for comparison as it's very slow on XBOX360).

plagiarize said:
idk the ntsc version since I'm from europe, but the pal one was pretty bad from time to time
btw in all of the other x360 halos framerate drops never affect control responsiveness.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i nerini del buio said:
idk the ntsc version since I'm from europe, but the pal one was pretty bad from time to time
btw in all of the other x360 halos framerate drops never affect control responsiveness.
Frame drops were never this bad in the other Halo games.

PooBone

I've not installed and other than some rare framerate dips, it's been fine. Playing with headphones and the audio levels seem fine to me too, but it is kinda ridiculous there's no audio options for those who are having issues. (fyi, I have optical audio into a headphone amp)

i nerini del buio said:
i'm going off hazy memories of the PAL version. ten years ago i still lived in the UK.

Blueblur1

I received my copy of the game yesterday and I've played up until the first couple of checkpoints on Truth and Reconciliation. Honestly, I'm somewhat disappointed with the game. A lot of the changes make it feel off while the gameplay is just as fun as it's always been. I haven't really compiled my thoughts well enough to write a couple cohesive paragraphs so I'm just list stuff for now.

Things I dislike

-New sound effects and unnecessary changes; I hate the way the Pistol and the Sniper Rifle sound and the sound effect the AR makes when switching to it is straight up gone
-Everything is too bright; the ambiance once set by the music and darker visuals is hurt by how well lit everything is. It's so bad that there's absolutely no need to use the Flashlight or Night Vision on the Sniper
-Unnecessary visual changes; things like the shape of doorways have been changed for no apparent reason and most of the Forerunner architecture is too intricate and doesn't match up with what we've seen in previous games. And I miss the bluish tint that the environment had in the original. It really made Halo feel alien and unlike Earth (which is what it looks like now). [Yes, I'm aware that this is an ironic compliant considering the following point.]
-Too much blue; along with dark areas now being well lit, if not fully lit, there's an excessive amount of blue glow coming off Forerunner architecture.
-Human characters look weird; this goes for Johnson and Keyes.
-The UI looks archaic; the UI used for the menus is bland and archaic and uses a mish mash of different UI sound effects from different Halo games. Why weren't any new features implemented like being able to see if your friends have completed campaign, etc.
-Re-used assets; there are a lot of re-used assets in this game like the Covenant and Marine models which reeks of laziness. And oddly enough, older assets are not used in places where it would make sense. Like say, the doors in the Truth & Reconciliation.
-Decorators are an eyesore due to lack of AA; so far this has only been an issue with the grass on the second stage.

Anyway, there's a lot I don't like. The game itself is okay but I don't really see myself playing to completion. I'm more inclined to jump into the Anniversary playlists instead and enjoy the remakes. Oh and there's one thing I noticed about one of the remakes; Certain Affinity has an obsession with making all their Hang 'Em High remakes brown, apparently. It's a huge turn off in today's world where almost every current gen game is brown all over.

Apharmd Battler said:
Thanks for the tip!
No problem, hope it helps you.

Dax01 said:
Framerate is rock solid aside from occasional dips. Don't understand how anyone can say it's terrible.
dark10x said:
It's not rock solid at all. I'm using an optical cable to a wireless headphone transmitter, if that means anything.

It's not just that it drops, though, rather there is always this sense that things aren't running as smoothly as they should. It's obvious in the videos and occurs on all of my 360s, so it's not a system thing.
This. Changing to the old graphics and back again is a noticeable difference in how the controls are for me. I haven't really noticed any real framerate drops apart from one or two instances, but there certainly is a slight feeling of sluggishness with the newer graphics. You know the feeling you have when you take off a heavy backpack that you've been wearing for a long time? That's what it feels like to me going from new to old.

daedalius

Ah man, how can you not like the new sound effects?

They sound so meaty and delicious; I hope they go this way for Halo 4.

Dat rocket launcher... so good (and sniper).

one thing that i'm absolutely demanding they put back in Halo 4 are chain reactions and being able to blow around dropped weapons.

i'd forgotten how much i missed that feature when they took it out in Halo 2.

my favourite moment from my first Halo playthrough back in the day came when fighting through the covenant ship. at one point i was pinned down at the bottom of one of those ramped corridors. i'd run out of ammo, and some of the covenant i'd already killed at the top of the ramp had dropped weapons up there.

i tossed up my final grenade in the hope of the explosion catching some of the covenant, or of sending some of those guns down my way.

it worked, and it was one of those dynamic situations that losing that feature prevented happening.

Blueblur1

daedalius said:
Ah man, how can you not like the new sound effects?

They sound so meaty and delicious; I hope they go this way for Halo 4.

Dat rocket launcher... so good (and sniper).
I love the original sound effects and to me they're part of the Halo CE experience.

Digital-Hero said:
He is the definitive Sherlock Holmes. My mom made me watch those as a kid.

Off topic, but it's amusing to me how much they got wrong about the Holmes costume, but that this version became the definitive one. Holmes never wore a deer stalker hat and his pipe was a straight one. They went with a curved one because the straight hid the actors face.

On topic, I have codes for 48 hours of Gold Live, and Male & Female Master Chief Avatar armor if anyone wants them.

squidhands said:
This. Changing to the old graphics and back again is a noticeable difference in how the controls are for me. I haven't really noticed any real framerate drops apart from one or two instances, but there certainly is a slight feeling of sluggishness with the newer graphics. You know the feeling you have when you take off a heavy backpack that you've been wearing for a long time? That's what it feels like to me going from new to old.
I'm not feeling the sluggishness. I've re-played CE entirely nearly two dozen times (I figure) since I first played it in December of 2005, and the game doesn't feel different. Feels like it should. Framerate hasn't affected the gameplay at all for me.

I think 343 and Saber did a marvelous job with the UI for the game. Menu controls being too sensitive aside, I think the menu is up there with Bungie's quality. Very elegant.

Dax01 said:
I'm not feeling the sluggishness. I've re-played CE entirely nearly two dozen times (I figure) since I first played it in December of 2005, and the game doesn't feel different. Feels like it should. Framerate hasn't affected the gameplay at all for me.

I think 343 and Saber did a marvelous job with the UI for the game. Menu controls being too sensitive aside, I think the menu is up there with Bungie's quality. Very elegant.

Yeah, what the hell is up with the menu controls?

Glad you're not having issues, Dax, but I certainly feel for the people who do.

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, what the hell is up with the menu controls?
It's aggravating as hell to get the video sliders where you want them. Even using the dpad gives me the rage face.

squidhands said:
Glad you're not having issues, Dax, but I certainly feel for the people who do.
I don't get it how we're getting such different experiences. Interesting that people are getting such a variety of responses to stuff that shouldn't be subjective (framerate, sluggishness, etc).

Kujo

Can't believe there's no light shine through tree leaves

I don't have a Kinect, but I can access that hidden menu by pushing up or down enough so nothing in the menu is highlighted. Game feels a bit unfinished at times

I like the visual changes to 343 Guilty Spark, the original looks like crap now. It's just a shame I have to spend so much time indoors with the Flood. Wish the level stayed outside the whole time.

S1kkZ

does anyone want halo 2 anniversary? i would love to see that happen. get rid of the "switch" feature, add 2 or 3 new levels (a new final level and the e3 mombasa level), rework the cutscenes, add a bit more open space to some areas and tons of terminal stuff that shows why mombasa is so damn empty.

wwm0nkey

S1kkZ said:
does anyone want halo 2 anniversary? i would love to see that happen. get rid of the "switch" feature, add 2 or 3 new levels (a new final level and the e3 mombasa level), rework the cutscenes, add a bit more open space to some areas and tons of terminal stuff that shows why mombasa is so damn empty.
I think we know Halo 2 Anniversary is going to happen soon but honestly I would be just fine with the original game in 1080p, 60FPS and the Online MP is tact.

MechDX

Finally started this game last night. Just me or does the assault rifle feel more robust and powerful than I remember??

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
wwm0nkey said:
I think we know Halo 2 Anniversary is going to happen soon but honestly I would be just fine with the original game in 1080p, 60FPS and the Online MP is tact.
People who want H2 anniversary are insane. Halo 2 celebration map pack for Halo 4 and that's it.

Z_Y

S1kkZ said:
A new final level? How would that be retrofitted with 3?

S1kkZ said:
I personally don't want it, but if they do it, and change the cutscenes... big no no for me. Put in your new high-res but artistically-same models, remove the sausage fingers, but no more.

The cutscenes are some of the good things about Halo 2's campaign.

FyreWulff

S1kkZ said:

Most of the remnants of E3 2003 Mombasa are in the final game. There'd be no real point to putting it back in, it was never meant as a playable level for the final game. Just an ideas/tech demo.

The easiest level to add as a new one is the Forerunner Ship level, since it still makes sense canonically. The rest of the cut third act is pretty much Halo 3, so the only other one left is Forerunner Tank and Covenant Ship.

Either way if they remake Halo 2, they can't do an Anniversary style one again. Even though Halo 1 was made in 5 months, it still works as a complete game. Halo 2 today is a very obviously shortened game cut up by a painful development process.

Halo: Anniversary is like Perfect Dark XLBA, a direct reskinning of the original game with added 360 comforts. What I'd want out of a Halo 2 Anniversary would be somewhere between there and Goldeneye Wii/Reloaded, where they remake the game from the ground up but still hit the key moments and concepts from the original.

FyreWulff said:
]Most of the remnants of E3 2003 Mombasa are in the final game. There'd be no real point to putting it back in, it was never meant as a playable level for the final game. Just an ideas/tech demo.

The easiest level to add as a new one is the Forerunner Ship level, since it still makes sense canonically. The rest of the cut third act is pretty much Halo 3, so the only other one left is Forerunner Tank and Covenant Ship.

Either way if they remake Halo 2, they can't do an Anniversary style one again. Even though Halo 1 was made in 5 months, it still works as a complete game. Halo 2 today is a very obviously shortened game cut up by a painful development process.

Yup and even in ODST.

Gui_PT

I was given some codes I won't be using.

Female Master Chief avatar and a 48 hour Live code.

They're not much but I thought some people might appreciate one of these. PM for the code.

wwm0nkey

Lyphen said:
People who want H2 anniversary are insane. Halo 2 celebration map pack for Halo 4 and that's it.
You mean Halo 5 right?

Also for all the shit Halo 2 gets, it hands down had the best dialog and universe expansion.

watership

wwm0nkey said:
You mean Halo 5 right?

Also for all the shit Halo 2 gets, it hands down had the best dialog and universe expansion.

I totally agree. I really wish Bungie had slowed things down a bit in Halo 3 so they could expand the story and get more context.

delta25

Banned
dark10x said:
Frame drops were never this bad in the other Halo games.

Ummmm have you not played Reach?

By the way where are you guys experiencing frame drops, I'm on Truth and reconciliation and have yet to encounter any drops.

soldat7

Choc said:
i am amazed a library spoiler
arrow on the ground fixes most of the libraries problems. wow bungie, just wow. Why not do that at first :p

We've grown too accustomed to bread crumbs, arrows, and sparkly indicators telling us where to go in games. It's a shame really, and one of the reasons why games like Dark Souls are so refreshing; you have to actually develop your own sense of space and place within the environments. You really are a stranger in a strange land in these types of games, Halo: CE included.

The lack of hand-holding is one of many reasons why Halo: CE stands above the other Halo campaigns.

delta25 said:

By the way where are you guys experiencing frame drops, I'm on Truth and reconciliation and have yet to encounter any drops.
They're there. It's almost akin to the original Xbox disc running on the X360 some times, but it may not hit quite so hard. After Truth you should see it a bit more often, particularly with the outdoor environments.

delta25 said:

From the start of the very first cutscene for as far into the game as I have played. Generally the drops are minor but they are pretty much happening all the time.

soldat7 said:
We've grown too accustomed to bread crumbs, arrows, and sparkly indicators telling us where to go in games. It's a shame really, and one of the reasons why games like Dark Souls are so refreshing; you have to actually develop your own sense of space and place within the environments. You really are a stranger in a strange land in these types of games, Halo: CE included.

The lack of hand-holding is one of many reasons why Halo: CE stands above the other Halo campaigns.

Halo: CE has its share of hand-holding.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
wwm0nkey said:
You mean Halo 5 right?

I agree, it deserves a novelization more than Halo CE. Not a remake, though.

soldat7

Dax01 said:
Halo: CE has its share of hand-holding.

Compared to most modern games? Compared to the other Halo installments? The hand-holding that is present is handled well and doesn't assume that you're a moron like most games.

Dax01 said:
I don't think the ending of Halo 2 needs to be changed. The finale is badass now that Halo 3 is out.
What, the final cutscene?

Lord Hood: Isolate that signal! Master Chief, mind telling me what you're
doing on that ship?
Master Chief: Sir, finishing this fight.

That would still be the very end of Halo 2 Anniversary. Only now it comes after you've just battled your way through the Forerunner Keyship as MC instead of after a frustrating boss battle as the Arbiter.

Top Bottom