• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

TurtleSnatcher said:
Newb question sorry...

If my girlfriend has Halo CE and I have Halo Reach.. Can we play multiplayer together since Halo CE has the Reach Multiplayer?

Just curious
If you have the Anniversary map pack for Reach then yes. Those are the only maps on the Anniversary disk.

ElRenoRaven

GodfatherX said:
so im up to Keyes, the last 4 levels have been much better as far as updated artstyle/graphics. Library is much better then before with the added lighting. I did get lost escaping from 343...for like 30 minutes, never remembered being stuck that long before.

I apparently missed the skull at the end od the Library so ill have to replay that again :(

also... guessing the terminal locations/content changing based on difficulty was cut?

Yup. It was cut.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Maw looked fantastic with the updated style. Halo really was a visually absract game, comparing to Perfect Dark.

Reading these Terminals makes me feel sorry for the Forerunners as a whole. Jesus, what a depressing state the civilization must've been in
through the bitter end.
Goddamn. :(

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
I would not like that, these animated terminals where amazing and I hope they are here to stay. Seriously the Keyes and The Maw terminal where just flat out amazing.
Don't get me wrong, I love the animated terminals and they should return for every Halo after this one. At the same time though, proper mysterious text based terminals are awesome too, they are not so much in your face and atleast create rampant speculation.

ElRenoRaven

TheOddOne said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the animated terminals and they should return for every Halo after this one. At the same time though, proper mysterious text based terminals are awesome too, they are not so much in your face and atleast create rampant speculation.

I'd say these are creating plenty of rampant speculation judging by the discussion of them.

Korosenai

So I really suck at this game on legendary.... two hours in on coop on assault on the control room, we are going and about to talk to 343 guilty spark and his internet goes out. Why in the f*** doesn't this game have a save feature. This pisses me off beyond belief.

God some people in matchmaking are so stupid. I was playing with this Inheritor, and he's all screaming at me while I'm trying to snipe saying "DO SOMETHING!" The irony is that I had a higher K/D spread than him. What an idiot.

malfcn

FateBreaker said:
God some people in matchmaking are so stupid. I was playing with this Inheritor, and he's all screaming at me while I'm trying to snipe saying "DO SOMETHING!" The irony is that I had a higher K/D spread than him. What an idiot.

I get the same, in Gears.

The Xtortionist said:
What the fuck, 343. Between this shit and the horrid input lag, your coop is fucking broken. Can't wait for fucking Halo 4.

Dude, chill out. It's their first project, and it's obviously a side project; almost their entire internal team is on Halo 4, not Halo: Anniversary.

TheOddOne

PsychoRaven said:
I'd say these are creating plenty of rampant speculation judging by the discussion of them.
You got me there :p

Guess I'm in the minority, but I love the crytic stuff in the text terminals.

ElRenoRaven

TheOddOne said:
You got me there :p

Guess I'm in the minority, but I love the crytic stuff in the text terminals.

Nah you're not. I think you could have something in there like that but have that on top of the terminals. Something kind of like the data pads in Reach here. Maybe have a couple of those spread around through the game along with terminals and skulls.

TheOddOne

PsychoRaven said:
Nah you're not. I think you could have something in there like that but have that on top of the terminals. Something kind of like the data pads in Reach here. Maybe have a couple of those spread around through the game along with terminals and skulls.
Yeah, that would be ideal :)

Even years after it was released, I still go back once and a while to check out the Halo 3 terminals. Read those crazy theories on the internet. Such a cool time waster.

Pennybags

TacticalFox88 said:
Reading these Terminals makes me feel sorry for the Forerunners as a whole. Jesus, what a depressing state the civilization must've been in
through the bitter end.
Goddamn. :(

It's okay, though. Forerunners were assholes.

Humans 4 Lyfe

Finally got around to beating it, watching the credits roll now. Im impressed, I actually found all of the terminals and 3-4 skulls. It was a blast replaying this game, and things like terminals, skulls and the Kinect analyze feature added some awesome newness, particularly the terminals.

Anyways, my impressions are overall very positive, with a few complaints about certain re-imagining of visuals. I may write out something more detailed later, but I think one thing that bugged me was the re-using of so many Reach assets when I would have rather had the original look but modernized, such as helmeted Jackals, CE marines, etc. Also, the flood could have looked better, I was a little let down with them.

But yeah, this game is beautiful, while it has its awkward looking, almost retro moments, other times it looks amazing. Sometimes the lighting and shadows reacting with the enemies and environments made me say wow.

Time to go for the achievements I missed..

Ubersnug

Has Frankie or anyone from 343 acknowledged the atrocious bugs and issues that arise from live co-op yet? A good few pages ago I described me and my friends issues when we started playing this over live co-op (hidious controller lag, game lag etc)

Well, we have kept at it and are currently on the Assault on the Control room level and it's frustrating as hell. Our first attempt had the
game lag so bad it crashed just in the room which comes after the first elevator you go down (after the first bridge). We rebooted our boxes and tried again. Annoingly, we couldn't start from our last checkpoint and had to start the level all over again.

We managed to get all the way where you need to abandon the scorpion tank and head back into the tunnels and it fucking crashed AGAIN, only this time it was my friends xbox that frooze this time.

There where also instances of very bad lag during some stages of the game. Even a few times where halo was struggling to hold our connections together.

Surely a patch or SOMETHING is going to come out and sort this as its almost getting to the point where our patience is running out.

For info: both our NATS are open, we live
Six miles apart abd we are playing on Legendary live co-op.

Ubersnug said:
Has Frankie or anyone from 343 acknowledged the atrocious bugs and issues that arise from live co-op yet? A good few pages ago I described me and my friends issues when we started playing this over live co-op (hidious controller lag, game lag etc)

Well, we have kept at it and are currently on the Assault on the Control room level and it's frustrating as hell. Our first attempt had the
game lag so bad it crashed just in the room which comes after the first elevator you go down (after the first bridge). We rebooted our boxes and tried again. Annoingly, we couldn't start from our last checkpoint and had to start the level all over again.

We managed to get all the way where you need to abandon the scorpion tank and head back into the tunnels and it fucking crashed AGAIN, only this time it was my friends xbox that frooze this time.

There where also instances of very bad lag during some stages of the game. Even a few times where halo was struggling to hold our connections together.

Surely a patch or SOMETHING is going to come out and sort this as its almost getting to the point where our patience is running out.

For info: both our NATS are open, we live
Six miles apart abd we are playing on Legendary live co-op.

Yi00r.png

Tunavi

Banned
If anyone is annoyed by the real time black screen when switching over the graphics, press back and start at the same time, wait 4 seconds, and it will have already been switched when you unpause.

Me and my friend were playing some campaign on legendary and a fucking update decides to come out of nowhere and just sign us out and throw us to the menu. If that were to happen 10 mins prior during truth and reconciliation my legendary run wouldve ended right there.

Had a pretty epic run through of the co op yesterday with Gui, that guy is Master Chief, he literally carried me through that campaign! Was a hell of a lot of fun, doing the final Maw run in the passenger seat of the hog was new to me, and pretty cool.

Heads up though, through sheer luck we managed to spawn extra Elites on 'Keyes', by walking around the tunnels and through the shield door of the hanger bay before getting into those banshees. That achievement is probably going to elude some people who don't realise how many elites can be spawned in.

Out of interest, anyone have any idea what the I.P. address looking things at the beginning of terminals do? I doubt they do anything, but you never know I guess. :p

We did have issues with the game disconnecting us, and oddly we also lost the ability to voice chat through party chat at the same time.

giancarlo123x said:
Me and my friend were playing some campaign on legendary and a fucking update decides to come out of nowhere and just sign us out and throw us to the menu. If that were to happen 10 mins prior during truth and reconciliation my legendary run wouldve ended right there.

I guess you had something the others didn't have... luck.

TheOddOne

bobs99 ... said:
Out of interest, anyone have any idea what the I.P. address looking things at the beginning of terminals do? I doubt they do anything, but you never know I guess. :p
Like the symbols, they are in every video. They must mean or do something.

*Goes into Sherlock Holmes mode*

Well, I managed to fix the audio problem I was having. Audio was set to 'source' for all of the other games I play, but setting CEA to emulate a 5.1 surround setting has done wonders. Weird that I have to do this for remastered audio, but whatever. It's only a button push away and with minor exceptions it's miles better than it was (there's still Cortana dialog that's low, but I remember it being barely audible in the original as well). Not a big fan of the new plasma rifle sound, though. Sounds like a cheap toy. But dat sniper rifle, hnnnnnnnnnnng.

Only found two of the terminals so far (one per level, right?), and holy shit are they spectacular. THIS is how you do terminals and get me interested in the lore; that cryptic text shit from H3 can just go away forever.

Digital-Hero said:
Stuck at a black screen in the game. Reverting save or quitting out to the title screen doesn't help. I can still hear the game going in the background.

[EDIT: Wow, exiting the game entirely to the dashboard doesn't fix it either. I have to restart mission. So lame.]

http://i39.tinypic.com/51ylw9.jpg

I've had the game crash on me twice and I've only had time to play two levels. Duncan (I think) posted in the other thread that his game crashed too.

Starting to think it's an issue with the game and not my disc.

PooBone

Anyone else see the 11th Terminal?

God it was awesome. Unlocks 107,000 cR in Reach too.

Kajiba said:
You get a theme too? All I remember getting was 7,000cr each terminal and 37,000cr for the last one. Have to check that again when get home.
It said you've unlocked a background for each terminal. Not sure if it's a theme or what, I haven't looked.

Kajiba

Zeouterlimits said:
The ones at the end of the terminals?
Unlocks an extra terminal and a new theme I believe.

You get a theme too? All I remember getting was 7,000cr each terminal and 37,000cr for the last one. Have to check that again when get home.

PooBone

DoctorWho said:
I forgot how difficult Legendary was in CE. Puts the other games to shame.
I wouldn't go that far. Halo 2 is so cheap, so frustrating. At least in CE when you die in Legendary you don't feel cheated. After playing Anniversary through on Legendary, I went back to the Library on Heroic and beat it on my first try without dying. About 2/3 of the way through I was worried I had actually put it on Normal. Then on Heroic I beat PoA and Halo without a warthog without losing a single bar of health, and did the achievement for escaping from SC without firing a bullet no problem.

Yeah, the drop off from Legendary to Heroic was pretty damn noticeable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I spent some time with this yesterday and, jesus, the engine created for single player feels awful. Scratch that, it FEELS like Halo, but it runs terribly. I can't believe how unpolished the experience is here. The game almost never holds a solid framerate. You have the full selection of performance problems here from hitching and stuttering to framerate dips. Is it playable? Absolutely, but it feels poorly optimized at all times.

If this was due to the "classic visuals" then I'd say they made a huge mistake.

As a game designed as a tribute I'd say the ball was dropped pretty hard. The general performance is worse than some sandbox games this gen.

This is post installation, by the way. Running off of the disc is even worse.

I still kind of enjoyed what I played, but the poor performance compromised the experience.

Phatcorns

I am really not digging the framerate. I would have rather not have had real time engine switching and instead gotten a rock solid 30 frames per second in at least the original graphics mode. It's not an exaggeration at all to say that the original had a better framerate. Seriously, take a look, it was much better. Well, at least on the original Xbox it was, the framerate sucks on 360 emulation.

S1kkZ

dark10x said:
I spent some time with this yesterday and, jesus, the engine created for single player feels awful. Scratch that, it FEELS like Halo, but it runs terribly. I can't believe how unpolished the experience is here. The game almost never holds a solid framerate. You have the full selection of performance problems here from hitching and stuttering to framerate dips. Is it playable? Absolutely, but it feels poorly optimized at all times.

As a game designed as a tribute I'd say the ball was dropped pretty hard. The general performance is worse than some sandbox games this gen.

I still kind of enjoyed what I played, but the poor performance compromised the experience.
i agree with everything. such a shame...

dark10x said:

I'm the complete opposite, my framerate has been quite smooth, I got a few stuttering problems during 343 GS, but that's been about it, how weird.

squidhands said:
Well, I managed to fix the audio problem I was having. Audio was set to 'source' for all of the other games I play, but setting CEA to emulate a 5.1 surround setting has done wonders. Weird that I have to do this for remastered audio, but whatever. It's only a button push away and with minor exceptions it's miles better than it was (there's still Cortana dialog that's low, but I remember it being barely audible in the original as well). Not a big fan of the new plasma rifle sound, though. Sounds like a cheap toy. But dat sniper rifle, hnnnnnnnnnnng.

Only found two of the terminals so far (one per level, right?), and holy shit are they spectacular. THIS is how you do terminals and get me interested in the lore; that cryptic text shit from H3 can just go away forever.

Thanks for the tip!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dax01 said:
Framerate is rock solid aside from occasional dips. Don't understand how anyone can say it's terrible.
It's not rock solid at all.

It's not just that it drops, though, rather there is always this sense that things aren't running as smoothly as they should. It's obvious in the videos and occurs on all of my 360s, so it's not a system thing.

Choc

Banned
i am amazed a library spoiler
arrow on the ground fixes most of the libraries problems. wow bungie, just wow. Why not do that at first :p

S1kkZ

Dax01 said:
Framerate is rock solid aside from occasional dips. Don't understand how anyone can say it's terrible.
no, its not, you just dont notice it. halo odst is rock solid, anniversary is not.

Choc said:
i am amazed a library spoiler
arrow on the ground fixes most of the libraries problems. wow bungie, just wow. Why not do that at first :p
I never really had a problem with that stage 10 years ago, you can sort of follow the sound of that robot whose name I forget at the moment around.

Top Bottom