• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Currently on hour 4 of T&R on Legendary. I really don't remember the game being this hard.

I have a feeling the AI is based on the PC port which was made harder due to the mouse aiming, but since grunts do not use fuel rod cannons it's hard to tell.

Will have to play my original disc on heroic to check if it plays the same as my current anniversary run.

Everdred

I have a feeling the AI is based on the PC port which was made harder due to the mouse aiming, but since grunts do not use fuel rod cannons it's hard to tell.

Will have to play my original disc on heroic to check if it plays the same as my current anniversary run.

I watched some Youtube videos of the same spot I'm on and it seemed like there were almost 25% less enemies and they were easier to kill but it's really hard to tell.

I've been playing Legendary Solo on this and was really enjoying the challenge, but I'm stuck.
I've reached the part in Truth and Reconcilliation where I've rescued Keyes and have to get to the hanger bay to escape.
He keeps dying in miliseconds and I can't see how I can stop him running towards his death.
If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated! I have no idea what to do :(

Do I need a co-op partner to babysit him while I kill the covies? I'm sure it would help, but none of my friends have bought it.

That is one of the most difficult parts in the entire game on Legendary. You just need to be quick and stickies are integral. You might be able to get both of them at once, but that's a bit unrealistic. I really don't have any super awesome advice except don't fall back, just go all out on the two sword peeps. Once that's over the rest should be easy. You can't help Keyes being an idiot.

Untracked

That is one of the most difficult parts in the entire game on Legendary. You just need to be quick and stickies are integral. You might be able to get both of them at once, but that's a bit unrealistic. I really don't have any super awesome advice except don't fall back, just go all out on the two sword peeps. Once that's over the rest should be easy. You can't help Keyes being an idiot.

Thanks for the reply, I can down the sword peeps no problem. I'm at the part where Foe Hammer says she can't pick us up and tells us to go to the hanger to steal a dropship.

As soon as the dialogue is finished enemies appear from everywhere and Keyes dies instantly, reloading the checkpoint. It's so annoying, but I think you're right about stickies. I probably just need to persist.

Other than this one point I'm really enjoying it. 343i have done such a great job updating the art / music. Headlong is absolutley gorgeous.

Nutter

Is it still possible to jump off the bridge at the beginning of AotCR and board the Pelican? I tried for like an hour and was unable to even drop down to the ledge safely.

Yes you can.

Legendary in this game is very easy, though still harder than other Halo's.

Thanks for the reply, I can down the sword peeps no problem. I'm at the part where Foe Hammer says she can't pick us up and tells us to go to the hanger to steal a dropship.

As soon as the dialogue is finished enemies appear from everywhere and Keyes dies instantly, reloading the checkpoint. It's so annoying, but I think you're right about stickies. I probably just need to persist.

Other than this one point I'm really enjoying it. 343i have done such a great job updating the art / music. Headlong is absolutley gorgeous.
While the talking is going on after you kill the Elites, fall back to the rear of the room. Keyes and the rest of the Marines should follow you, just make sure you stand in front of him after that and you should be all right. Having Grunt Funeral skull on really helps you out here.

Untracked

While the talking is going on after you kill the Elites, fall back to the rear of the room. Keyes and the rest of the Marines should follow you, just make sure you stand in front of him after that and you should be all right. Having Grunt Funeral skull on really helps you out here.

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow :)

Yes you can.

Legendary in this game is very easy, though still harder than other Halo's.
I wouldn't say that Halo CE is harder than other Halo's. Reach is much harder, because of some unfair spots and that the enemies bear a lot of more bullets. Otherwise Halo should be played on Legendary. Especially because of the AI. I love the moments when you get flanked. Makes the game top notch.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Except
why would the "Precursor" be in any way affected or held back by the Librarian? Also, Didact was a Promeathean too, so the description fits like a glove.

Not sure about that, but
The Didact was never described as evil in Cryptum (unless that's something they explore for Primordium). Mysterious, sure, but not evil. He came to terms with being alongside humans after seeing Chakas and Riser, opposed the creation of the Halo rings, and has feuded with other Forerunner military classes. Not to mention he's married to The Librarian so I don't see how he's being held back by her.

I'm not going to discredit your theory entirely since we haven't seen the whole story, but my guess still goes with
the Precursor.

jackdoe

It may be my fuzzy memory, but I don't remember Elites dodging as much in the original Halo CE. Or it could just be that the easier Halo 3 and Reach have made me soft, which is very likely.

Tunavi

Banned
I haven't found all the skulls yet. Has anyone tried playing this game Legendary, All Skulls On (excluding grunt funeral, pinata)?

Pretty sure its impossible.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Not sure about that, but
The Didact was never described as evil in Cryptum (unless that's something they explore for Primordium). Mysterious, sure, but not evil. He came to terms with being alongside humans after seeing Chakas and Riser, opposed the creation of the Halo rings, and has feuded with other Forerunner military classes. Not to mention he's married to The Librarian so I don't see how he's being held back by her.

I'm not going to discredit your theory entirely since we haven't seen the whole story, but my guess still goes with
the Precursor.

Yeah, I can't make any sense out of the possibility the
Didact would be "evil" or choose to fight against The Chief or anything.

The current theories suggest the Prisoner, the last Precursor, may have been the Gravemind or an important component of the Gravemind (thanks to reveal about the Flood's Precursor origins), but there's plenty of room left in the next two Forerunner novels to shed light on things as they aren't too clear.

I'd be happier if the "ancient threat" in Halo 4 ends up being the Precursor as I've never liked the Precursor/Gravemind theories as it's a bit too obvious, almost a red herring.

soldat7

My disc is spinning like mad despite the install. What gives?

And that video that automatically plays at the beginning (including MP) is annoying as crap.

Not sure about that, but

the Precursor.

GS's phrasing made me think it's the Didact too, but unless GS doesn't really understand him, (perhaps has a Builder perspective on the Didact,) his idea that the Didact would punish humanity as a reaction to destroying Forerunner tech puzzles me, because he seems like someone who wants all the facts before taking drastic and violent action.

That being said, little has interested me about the Precusors as an enemy for Halo 4 so far.

FateBreaker said:
I agree. I love the universe/main story to Bungie's games, but they were always lite on explanation and even twists. Things even were confusing at times. My absolute biggest hope for 343 is that they know how to tell a story. We all know that the Halo universe is incredibly interesting with tons of lore, so 343 should take advantage of it.

I trust Frankie. And I think they got a lot of creative people on there. Ryan Payton was there. And, I think Scott Warner is on board, who helped craft one of the most impressive stories ever in a video game, Planescape: Torment. There is certainly a ton of promise in this field, and the terminals are hopefully a good indication of what's to come.

My views on the game stories:

Halo 1: Good. Pretty minimal, but the Terminals in Anniversary flesh it out nicely.

Halo 2: Great, but the execution was lacking. The story itself was very good- I loved the inner workings of the Covenant, and I really liked the Arbiter and Truth as characters, but the presentation and pacing was confusing and rather unclear. Also, dat ending.

Halo 3: Boo-urns. Bungie listened to the whiners about Halo 2 too much and pretty much excised the Arbiter from the story except for a few weak cutscenes. Lots of plotholes and nonsensical plot points, lousy dialogue, and the pointless transformation of Truth from a sinister, intelligent villain who knows more than he lets on to a raving madman. Oh, and Cortana and Gravemind moments that were annoying as shit after the first playthough and weren't even necessary to begin with. UGH. The terminals make up for it, but it's still covered in rubbish.

ODST: I quite liked it up until the last few missions. The game had great atmosphere besides a highly repetitive hub world, but the romance subplot was pretty laughable and dragged it down. I also thought that Sadie's story was awful; cliche'd as hell and horribly acted.

Reach Wow. Pretty much retconned Fall of Reach into nonexistance for no reason but "because we can," stupid sequence of events, most of the characters suck despite it being a "character-driven story" (Jorge is the only really good one), and very little sense of human loss, despite several levels taking place in a civilian city.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'd be happier if the "ancient threat" in Halo 4 ends up being the Precursor as I've never liked the Precursor/Gravemind theories as it's a bit too obvious, almost a red herring.

Yeah. The more I look at
the Gravemind's dialogue across Halo 2 and Halo 3
, it makes much more sense for
the Precursor at the end of Cryptum being the beginning of the Gravemind with ancient Precursors 'in hiding'
showing up for Halo 4.

Examples:

"I? I am a monument to all your sins."

"There is much talk, and I have listened, through rock and metal and time. Now I shall talk, and you shall listen."

"Those who built this place knew what they wrought. Do not mistake their intent, or all will perish as they did before."

"Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness, a father's sins, passed to his son."

"Time... has taught me patience! But basking in new freedom, I will know all that I possess!" -This one could explain the Keyes terminal, as well.

"Resignation is my virtue; like water I ebb, and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved... but you imposed." - Most profound

Holy FUCK the Gravemind was a badass enemy.

I wouldn't say that Halo CE is harder than other Halo's. Reach is much harder, because of some unfair spots and that the enemies bear a lot of more bullets. Otherwise Halo should be played on Legendary. Especially because of the AI. I love the moments when you get flanked. Makes the game top notch.

I disagree. I was able to beat Reach on Legendary playing solo with relative ease. But I just spent over 2 hours on Truth and Reconciliation on Heroic yesterday. Must have died 50 times at least. I've never been so angry at a Halo game. And I'm not even done with the level yet, as I still have to get Keyes out alive. I can't even imagine this level on Legendary.

I disagree. I was able to beat Reach on Legendary playing solo with relative ease. But I just spent over 2 hours on Truth and Reconciliation on Heroic yesterday. Must have died 50 times at least. I've never been so angry at a Halo game. And I'm not even done with the level yet, as I still have to get Keyes out alive. I can't even imagine this level on Legendary.

Agreed. CE and H2 are much much harder than H3 and Reach on Legendary IMO.

daedalius

Yeah. The more I look at
the Gravemind's dialogue across Halo 2 and Halo 3
, it makes much more sense for
the Precursor at the end of Cryptum being the beginning of the Gravemind with ancient Precursors 'in hiding'
showing up for Halo 4.

Examples:

"I? I am a monument to all your sins."

"There is much talk, and I have listened, through rock and metal and time. Now I shall talk, and you shall listen."

"Those who built this place knew what they wrought. Do not mistake their intent, or all will perish as they did before."

"Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness, a father's sins, passed to his son."

"Time... has taught me patience! But basking in new freedom, I will know all that I possess!" -This one could explain the Keyes terminal, as well.

"Resignation is my virtue; like water I ebb, and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved... but you imposed." - Most profound

Holy FUCK the Gravemind was a badass enemy.

Makes me want to play H3 again.

Those quotes make a lot more sense after reading Cryptum... I wonder if whoever wrote them in the first place had the Precursor in mind?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GS's phrasing made me think it's the Didact too, but unless GS doesn't really understand him, (perhaps has a Builder perspective on the Didact,) his idea that the Didact would punish humanity as a reaction to destroying Forerunner tech puzzles me, because he seems like someone who wants all the facts before taking drastic and violent action.

That being said, little has interested me about the Precusors as an enemy for Halo 4 so far.

You mean Forerunners as enemies, right? I don't see it happening. They are dead.

Funny thing, I think it's best to look at things from a gameplay perspective if you want to find the best clues about the story - at least for now.

Here's my very early prediction/thoughts for Halo 4. I think it's about time I crytalised my thoughts up to this point.

Spoilers abound for everything.

Based on the fact that I don't think the sandbox is going to be radically altered, we'll have a few new weapons and vehicles for sure like every Halo game, it means we're most likely to have typical "Halo" encounters against intelligent and reactive enemies. With the enemies using the same sandbox, they are most likely to be "Covenant" - well the jackals, grunts and elites we've come to love.

The main enemies can't be Forerunners or machines because of the open and familiar nature of the sandbox. Machines or Forerunners simply wouldn't be using crude Plasma Pistols, or Needlers, piloting Banshees or driving Ghosts or anything like that.

We have the Chief finding himself stranded on this Forerunner installation and we've been promised that the place will feel alive and active compared with past Forerunner ruins that have been rather dead or inert - even with sentinels. So there's definitely going to be a Forerunner or Forerunner AI/sentinel presence or whatever is making the place "active".

The events of Glasslands gives us an idea of the situation the former-Covenant species now finds themselves in. The Covenant war machines is utter broken. The factories are silent. The former Prophets have mysterious retreated from Galactic view. The Engineers have also vanished. The Brutes are in complete disarray, the Grunts are... well, they will probably begin to over-breed and ruin whatever limited food supply system they depend on without the Covenant. The Elites are busy trying to figure out how to plant crops.

Humanity has been pushed to the edge of extinction. Earth's location is no longer a secret. However Humanity is currently in the best position in terms of military and economic infrastructure thanks to the hurried adoption of Covenant and Forerunner technologies. Minor scribbles with lost colonies aside, Humanity is sitting on top of the Galactic foodchain.

Those "lost" colonies have turned their backs on the UNSC, having felt abandoned during their times of greatest need. On the back of the forgotten Insurrection against the UNSC prior to the Covenant war, there's a renewed sense of rebellion from the surviving colonies. Military technology is now an open commodity and a multi-species black market is flourishing trading in tools of planetary destruction thanks to opportunistic species from all sides.

Then we have the Haloes. We have six armed Halo installations any Human could foolishly activate just sitting out there across the galaxy. We have ONI Research Facility Trevelyan, a hyperstructure that dwarves the Earth in size (would make for an interesting place to settle!). Trevelyan would take thousands of years to fully explore.

The Flood is not defeated. We've destroyed the Gravemind at the Ark. The Elites cleaned up Installation 05, but that leaves at least five Halo installations that most likely still have the Flood. And the events of Halo Wars have shown that the Flood may still be present in other locations.

So Master Chief is drifting towards an active Forerunner installation. I think we're gonna fight some Elites again when they make a move to acquire Forerunner technology so as to not fall behind Humanity militarily - we'll see Grunts and Jackals again too along for the ride. The Chief might be alone when he lands and goes off exploring but it won't be too long before he encounters familiar enemies and new foes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Neo-Covenant (dammit, I have to give them some collective term, so I'm choosing this even if it might be very wrong for obvious reasons) or the Prophets in a desperate power move or even a Neo-Insurrectionist movement end up freeing whatever ancient enemy that is locked away in the Forerunner installation.

We'll have our three way battles with the Neo-Covenant, Neo-Insurrectionists, Sentinels or maybe even the Flood. The UNSC will most likely end up finding the Chief at some point and enter the new struggle before the game concludes.

In the past we've fought alongside ODST and marines and I think we're going to be joined by the Spartan IV's on the battlefield but I doubt they'll ever be as effective as the Chief or former Spartan groups.

There's so many open possibilities and threats to the galaxy still left to resolve so I don't think we're going to be any new super Haloes or Mega-Arks.

I still think we're far too in the dark at this point to make any serious progress in pinpointing the exact journey in we'll be taking in Halo 4 or what exactly we'll be doing along the way. The possibilities are easily mapped out, even considering possible curve balls or surprising twists that 343 will inevitably throw our way.

I've been interested in politics. The history of the UNSC has been the most fascinating for me and also the most tortuous thanks to how little has been explained or explored. If I could pay 343 a million quid to produce a detailed historical textbook book documenting human history between now and the events prior to the Human-Covenant war I would.

I had a twinge of excitement with Reach when the Insurrection was mentioned, only to be left cold that it was an empty and ultimately brief reference.

I ideally I'd like to see this explored and have it take centre stage, if not in the games then at least in the fiction, but politics and human squabbles isn't particularly Halo. We've never gunned down another human being (well we have within the framework of the game, with friendly fire =P) and I don't think that going to happen in Halo 4 or beyond.

The Spartan II project was created to halt a rebellion. Humanity was at war with itself, like we've always been. The Covenant War was a distraction. The Flood was a distraction. This new threat may be a distraction. But soon enough we'll get back to a point where we're going to argue and fight and kill each other again.
I think Glasslands has shown this moment may have already come.

Agreed. CE and H2 are much much harder than H3 and Reach on Legendary IMO.

I agree that Halo 2 was a beast, but I don't really think that CE was all that hard outside of a few specific encounters. Reach had a lot more of these chokepoints, however, and TotS and Exodus are ball-busters from start to finish, Falcon rail section excluded and if you don't cheese the missile batteries.

HaloGAF, would you recommend reading Glasslands? I love the Halo lore, but I've heard pretty mixed things about the novel itself.

Halo 4 related spoilers:
The official site states that the "ancient enemy" will be threatening the entire universe, so whatever it is works on a scale well beyond the Forerunners or the Flood. So far, the only thing that fits the bill (that we know of) are the Precursors.

i enjoy how complaints about not being able to play with the original sound effects have all evaporated. the sound design work on this is really solid.

also is anyone playing with the original music? they could probably have left out that option too. the new versions of the music are really good.

it's a bit rough around a few key edges graphically (though overall i do like it), but the sound work is some of the best in the series, if not the best.

ElRenoRaven

i enjoy how complaints about not being able to play with the original sound effects have all evaporated. the sound design work on this is really solid.

also is anyone playing with the original music? they could probably have left out that option too. the new versions of the music are really good.

it's a bit rough around a few key edges graphically (though overall i do like it), but the sound work is some of the best in the series, if not the best.

Yup I am. While the new was good. There were a couple of spots that the original was just better. Hence I play with new graphics and old Soundtrack.

Kujo

My disc is spinning like mad despite the install. What gives
All games that use the new disc format from that update this previous year do this it seems. Disc spins for a minute or two each time before finally shutting off.

The Library combines 2 of my most hated things in FPS, respawning enemies and zombie-like enemies. Difficulty-wise I never found it that hard though, just an annoying level.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I DONT NEED YOU

I just stepped out into the snow on AotCR. I said wow.

Me too. So good. Soooo goooood. I'm loving this game so far. Only two complaints:

1. For the first time in my dozens of playthroughs of CE on Legendary, I had problems with Keyes being a dumb ass on Truth and Reconciliation. Master military strategist my ass.

2. The new Elite armor looks fucking awful.

Edit - And one thing I like: the heat waves given off from the shade turret blasts. Great effect.

You mean Forerunners as enemies, right? I don't see it happening. They are dead.

Funny thing, I think it's best to look at things from a gameplay perspective if you want to find the best clues about the story - at least for now.

Here's my very early prediction/thoughts for Halo 4. I think it's about time I crytalised my thoughts up to this point.

Spoilers abound for everything.

I've been interested in politics. The history of the UNSC has been the most fascinating for me and also the most tortuous thanks to how little has been explained or explored. If I could pay 343 a million quid to produce a detailed historical textbook book documenting human history between now and the events prior to the Human-Covenant war I would.

I had a twinge of excitement with Reach when the Insurrection was mentioned, only to be left cold that it was an empty and ultimately brief reference.

I ideally I'd like to see this explored and have it take centre stage, if not in the games then at least in the fiction, but politics and human squabbles isn't particularly Halo. We've never gunned down another human being (well we have within the framework of the game, with friendly fire =P) and I don't think that going to happen in Halo 4 or beyond.

The Spartan II project was created to halt a rebellion. Humanity was at war with itself, like we've always been. The Covenant War was a distraction. The Flood was a distraction. This new threat may be a distraction. But soon enough we'll get back to a point where we're going to argue and fight and kill each other again.
I think Glasslands has shown this moment may have already come.
Aren't every Covenant weapon based on Forerunner technology?
Why shouldn't we fight against them? Because we saved the galaxy with their tech? Because we thought that they are well-disposed to us? Humanity is misusing the Forerunner tech to subjugate or to annihilate the other races. Don't you think about a possibility that a old Promethean, the highest rank for a Warrior in the Forerunner society, seeing their sacrifice in such a misuse can't be angry about our race?

And if they are using the Covenant as enemies again, then I think 343i miss a big opportunity. Halo 4 is the perfect time to introduce a bunch of new enemy types. Normal players don't know in which condition humanity or the Covenant is.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't every Covenant weapon based on Forerunner technology?
Why shouldn't we fight against them? Because we saved the galaxy with their tech? Because we thought that they are well-disposed to us? Humanity is misusing the Forerunner tech to subjugate or to annihilate the other races. Don't you think about a possibility that a old Promethean, the highest rank for a Warrior in the Forerunner society, seeing their sacrifice in such a misuse can't be angry about our race?

That's what I am thinking;
we still don't know what happens with the Didact in the upcoming two novels, and seeing as it changes perspective to a human, they could be building him to have more darker intentions (depending on perspective I'd imagine). He is not going to be happy with humanity's current position in the universe if it comes to the timeline of where Halo 3 ends, seeing what has come of their installations and how they've been wrecked by the reclaimers. To a fair sense, we would seem very aggressive to them if he looks at our history and then puts that in retrospective to the time before the first human/forerunner war. But this is only one big suggestion of what the enemy is in Halo 4, the other one could be the pre-cursors and have the Prometheans and the Didact as potential allies to the chief on the forerunner world, perhaps?

One way to support that is that unknown ship being of similar technology of the Halo installation, but 343 GS couldn't identify it, so that can suggest it can be precursor (how they created the forerunners and humanity after all so their technology would be based on theirs?) related. Either way, we know the Didact is very likely to be in Halo 4.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I hope with the extended Halo universe they bring back Preston Cole, because he's probably one of the most bad ass characters ever created (<3 Nylund and his tactics in the fiction) and I would jump for joy if they ever bring him back.

Top Bottom