• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

What? He is not Duke. I like Chief how he is as a silent protagonist. I'm slightly worried about Halo 4 how they want to explore who he is more. I'd rather them not. Let's just explore new cool shit and leave him who he is.

Nah, I want to know more about Chief. It's possible to do with with still being Chief, though...if that makes sense (and I think it does to 343)

Does anyone else think Master Chief should have in-game quips in response to certain player-driven events? Such as when you attach a plasma grenade to an enemy, Master Chief will say "now that's what I call a sticky situation." Or "that's what I call sticking it to the enemy." Or when you shoot the Needler, he can say something like, "let me give you a few pointers."

To go even further, have Chief makes these quips during dramatic points during cutscenes. A perfect example is in Halo 2 when he jumps in the Covenant spaceship, detonates a bomb, and crash lands on a human ship, to which Johnson says, "for a brick, he flew pretty good!" After hearing this, Master Chief could say something like, "that was a blast."

I really think it could give Master Chief some extra personality. He'd be the natural evolution of '80s action movie stars.
Get out, play Duke Nukem. I love that the Master Chief isn't commenting all of my actions, if I'm doing that already.

Otherwise I'm the only one who notices that the game turns the brightness up by itself? When I'm haunting some skulls and have to repeat a section too often, the game turns the brightness up. I don't know why, but it is kind of annoying. :/

senador

Banned
Nah, I want to know more about Chief. It's possible to do with with still being Chief, though...if that makes sense (and I think it does to 343)

To each his own I guess. I got enough information now that I'm good. Telling more about him will just ruin the mystery for me.

Get out, play Duke Nukem. I love that the Master Chief isn't commenting all of my actions, if I'm doing that already.

Otherwise I'm the only one who notices that the game turns the brightness up by itself? When I'm haunting some skulls and have to repeat a section too often, the game turns the brightness up. I don't know why, but it is kind of annoying. :/

Do you have your kinect turned on? I thought there was a voice command for adjusting the brightness in game.

lol. But I never say something. sigh. But you are right, it can be a kinect problem.

"Wow, the new lighting in this game really makes things look BRIGHTER than before."
"What the hell? Did it just get even BRIGHTER?"

"Watch out for that GRENADE!"

"Now would be a really bad time to RELOAD."

*pause*

"Gotta run to the bathroom, nobody touch my controller and hit RESUME GAME."

"Wow, the new lighting in this game really makes things look BRIGHTER than before."

*pause*

Unfortunately I'm talking in German and the kinect settings are in English.

Maybe it begins... the revolution of the machines!

Im not sure if this is the same thing, but I have noticed lighting of certain areas changing entirely if I die. One such place would be the Bandanna Skull. While attempting to get it, everything became more darkly lit and moody, with more fog. Upon death it went back to normal, more brightly lit and revealing.

*pause*

My little brother really likes to yell grenade while I'm playing. Luckely, the voice registration is pretty bad :lol

Unfortunately I'm talking in German and the kinect settings are in English.

Maybe it begins... the revolution of the machines!
I've had several times that kinect would put the game on pause while I was talking Dutch, it's a bit random some times.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I know it's probably already been mentioned ad nauseam but I had nothing but problems trying to get the "All According To Plan" stealth kill achievement with the new hotness graphics enabled. Met the criteria four times, eventually got to the point where I triggered the enemies that will always see you and...nada. Switched to the original graphics, popped up the first time.

Some pseudo-glitchy stuff like this aside (and why did they get rid of the animated warthog gauges), I'm really enjoying the replay. Occasionally the new graphics remind me of those fan-made high resolution texture packs for older games, where things aren't quite a faithful updating of the original, but for the most part it looks beautiful, particularly the beefed-up outdoor moments.

Does anyone else think Master Chief should have in-game quips in response to certain player-driven events? Such as when you attach a plasma grenade to an enemy, Master Chief will say "now that's what I call a sticky situation." Or "that's what I call sticking it to the enemy." Or when you shoot the Needler, he can say something like, "let me give you a few pointers."

To go even further, have Chief makes these quips during dramatic points during cutscenes. A perfect example is in Halo 2 when he jumps in the Covenant spaceship, detonates a bomb, and crash lands on a human ship, to which Johnson says, "for a brick, he flew pretty good!" After hearing this, Master Chief could say something like, "that was a blast."

I really think it could give Master Chief some extra personality. He'd be the natural evolution of '80s action movie stars.

Holy shit, they unbanned you?

So worth it just for posts like this. LOL

Finished it last night.

Great reliving the game through the new graphics and the gameplay hasn't aged a day as far as I'm concerned. The enemies are still smart, cunning and fast, the environments are still fastastic to do battle in no matter if they are wide or narrow, the weapon balance is brilliant, and the pacing of weapons, enemies, vehicles, and situations is pretty much perfect.

The new visuals normally work very well and look pretty great. The direct lighting for the environments and characters is great. There are some cheapish parts to the graphics here and there though and I do wish they had worked on performance a lot more.

This will be controversial but I do wish they did more screen effects like flaring to make everything look a bit more modern. I'm not talking over the top stuff but just a bit to make it look like something more than shaders and polys.

I do think that cutting two floors out of the Library section of the game would have made the experience a bit better. 3 floors seemed like a fun dive into the chaos, 5 became grating. That has always been there though. Nothing else in terms of room or level repetition bothers me in the game.

I restarted the game on legendary and I unfortunatly ran into a nasty character weighting bug where everyone's left eye suddenly jumped a foot and a half above their head so all the PoA crew had a spike jutting through their skull.

Holy shit, they unbanned you?

So worth it just for posts like this. LOL

Erm, I was never banned.

As for my idea, I'm a little surprised at the negativity surrounding it. Simply making one-liners doesn't automatically make someone Duke Nukem, and the two games are so drastically different (Halo and Duke Nukem), that I don't really see how you can substitute one for the other. I simply felt as though Master Chief (as a character who has been built for over ten years) could theoretically have quips and one-liners and still have it fit the personality he's developed over that time frame.

It's not like the Halo games are super-serious, anyways, with the colorful playful Grunts who spout things in high-pitched, child-like voices.

so other then terminal 11, did anything come from that waypoint egg?
There seems to be a 12th terminal that isn't available yet via this process:
Not sure if this was posted yet, but a terminal translator and 12 (not available yet) terminal has been uncovered.

Ec8lY.png

Just type in "wakeupjohn"

Erm, I was never banned.

As for my idea, I'm a little surprised at the negativity surrounding it. Simply making one-liners doesn't automatically make someone Duke Nukem, and the two games are so drastically different (Halo and Duke Nukem), that I don't really see how you can substitute one for the other. I simply felt as though Master Chief (as a character who has been built for over ten years) could theoretically have quips and one-liners and still have it fit the personality he's developed over that time frame.

It's not like the Halo games are super-serious, anyways, with the colorful playful Grunts who spout things in high-pitched, child-like voices.

Dear Frankie/343,

Please do the exact opposite of the text/posts as presented by the gentleman/women/pre-teen quoted above for all future Halo related materials including but not limited to games, books, music, short stories and/or movies.

Respectfully yours,

Prince Rodgers Nelson

Quick question, A friend of mine cleared level Halo on legendary and ended the game after the cutscreen on the next level. We started the game from the begining together. When I look, it says I only cleared the first level by myself (which I did) and shows no progress on co-op. Do you need to finish each level on your own before you can choose it in co-op? In other words it doesnt seem to be showing forward progress in co-op.

ElRenoRaven

Dear Frankie/343,

Please do the exact opposite of the text/posts as presented by the gentleman/women/pre-teen quoted above for all future Halo related materials including but not limited to games, books, music, short stories and/or movies.

Respectfully yours,

Prince Rodgers Nelson

Seconded

MC one-liners in the campaign is a terrible idea.

Yes it is. Without a doubt one of the worst ideas I've ever heard for Halo.

blamite

MC one-liners is a terrible idea, but having brief little conversations with Cortana during first-person downtime could maybe work.

Mayyhem

I really want this game, and I really want the anniversary maps. Unfortunately my gaming budget is tight right now because I bought MW3, BF3, and GOW3 and I'm pretty broke. I have 850 MSP on my account as I was wondering if you guys think the map pack price will eventually go down to 800 MSP? :/

No No it wouldn't. The way it's been handled in the past 3 games is perfect.

god but i am tired of this. so i have to hear nothing from chief for halo 4 5 and 6 because that's how it was in halo 1 2 and 3? And then when Halo 7 is announced, I can't hear his feelings? storytelling has been one of the consistently weak areas of the halo trilogy, and the story's prevalence around MC is a part of that.

Tunavi

Banned
Assault on the control room with heckfu, warthog instead of tank. I drove, he gunned, chaos everywhere, pinnacle of gaming.

NeXuSDK

Anyone know why the grenade voice command is sooo over-sensitive? It has been triggered from several times by me saying reload or from speaker sounds. It's kind of annoying, since I've killed several teammates that way :-/

Ubersnug

Despite the controller and game lag, me and a friend have been playing through halo on legendary co-op. currently on the level 343 and so far, the game feels like a cakewalk. I seem to remember legendary being quite tough in the original game..

So any chance a HALO 4 trailer for VGAs?

I mean we are less then a year away from the release. At least tease us with something to get us excited about it.

Painstakingly grinding through TandR with PP and AR without getting a checkpoint for ages, despite clearing every enemy for several rooms and the FUCKING GAME CRASHES AGAIN.

Third level in. Third crash.

I seriously hope this isn't in every copy and is just a faulty disc or something (I've heard a few other Gaffers speak of crashes in this game)

Honestly, when do games crash these days? I haven't had games crash on me since the master system days.

I want a fucking refund.

Spasm

Alright, so after reading how laggy co-op was, I had really low expectations for my first co-op run last night with friends half-way across the country. I'm pleasantly surprised that it ran flawlessly for us, zero lag on either end. I guess this is a YMMV thing.

Tunavi

Banned
Despite the controller and game lag, me and a friend have been playing through halo on legendary co-op. currently on the level 343 and so far, the game feels like a cakewalk. I seem to remember legendary being quite tough in the original game..
play with skulls on (iron makes co-op much harder)

Top Bottom