• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Trey

Yes lets give everyone a Rocket launcher because I want faster kill times.. *insert rollyeyes here*

All I read from the people who want more shots to take someone down is "I suck at Halo and aiming, so the more shots it takes to kill, the longer I can stay alive".

3Shot Pistol, 4shot BR or the 5shot DMR I can win a fight. I just want the game to finally let us do more damage if shooting at the head regardless of it being an AR or hell even a Spiker. Why should someone who is spraying the AR win a fight versus who is aiming and shooting at the head.

I don't understand your issue. Are you saying headshot should do more damage to shields as well? I disagree. The sandbox is fairly balanced with respect to taking down shields and damage to health. Furthermore, you would have a time trying to justify allowing the AR to headshot capable, considering that the player has no direct control over bullet placement, leading to the same furor that bloom caused.

Just to reiterate, the CE pistol's damage was NOT a glitch. It just wasn't a unanimous decision. I think it happened sorta like this:

Campaign Code: Unlocked
campaign_pistol_damage = 10

Multiplayer Code: Unlocked
multiplayer_pistol_damage = 10
-------
*gameplay testing*
-------
Jason Jones: "Hmm, the pistol sucks in multiplayer. It needs increased damage to make Halo a more awesome and competitive game."

multiplayer_pistol_damage = 15
-------
*gameplay testing*
-------
Other Bungie designer: "Noooo, that makes the pistol way too good. We don't want to ruin our carefully balanced sandbox with a badass hand cannon like that. Let's change it back."

-------
*gameplay testing*
-------
Jason Jones: "Yeah... no."

campaign_pistol_damage = multiplayer_pistol_damage - 5

-------
Microsoft/Development Schedule: "Aw snap, we're running out of time. Lock down that Campaign code and get it QA tested!"

Campaign Code: LOCKED

-------
Other Bungie designer: "Well, shit."

daedalius

Why would shooting a Spartan's shield on his head be any different than shooting his shield on his chest? That's the point of a shield.

Also, AR capable of headshots? Please no. I get enough random headshots from people spraying me wildly in BF3 (not to say I don't get them either, and I always think 'sure didn't mean to do that!').

FyreWulff

Why would shooting a Spartan's shield on his head be any different than shooting his shield on his chest? That's the point of a shield.

Also, AR capable of headshots? Please no. I get enough random headshots from people spraying me wildly in BF3 (not to say I don't get them either, and I always think 'sure didn't mean to do that!').

You don't know how many people I told this that suddenly got better at Halo 3 because they finally got it through their head that the shield doesn't care where it's being shot, so that's why you fire the first 3 shots into their body (center of mass and biggest target) in Halo 3 to pop their shields THEN aim up to headshot them.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Had a weird dream that 343i announced a Kinect-exclusive Halo title that was basically an on-rails 3rd person shooter and all you'd do is destroy wraiths.

MrBig

Just to reiterate, the CE pistol's damage was NOT a glitch. It just wasn't a unanimous decision. I think it happened sorta like this:

I've heard differing stories come out of Bungie, but the only thing I know for sure is the that the weapon tags in the game are all compiled from the same source files for each map, and thus shared with no differentiation between mp/sp.

-------
*gameplay testing*
-------
Jason Jones: "Hmm, the pistol sucks in multiplayer. It needs increased damage to make Halo a more awesome and competitive game."

-------
*gameplay testing*
-------
Other Bungie designer: "Noooo, that makes the pistol way too good. We don't want to ruin our carefully balanced sandbox with a badass hand cannon like that. Let's change it back."

-------
*gameplay testing*
-------
Jason Jones: "Yeah... no."

-------
Microsoft/Development Schedule: "Aw snap, we're running out of time. Lock down that Campaign code and get it QA tested!"

Campaign Code: LOCKED

-------
Other Bungie designer: "Well, shit."
Ogres, Zyos, Syracuse, et al: "Hurray!"

Trey

You don't know how many people I told this that suddenly got better at Halo 3 because they finally got it through their head that the shield doesn't care where it's being shot, so that's why you fire the first 3 shots into their body (center of mass and biggest target) in Halo 3 to pop their shields THEN aim up to headshot them.

I thought this was fundamental stuff. People really thought you did more damage to shields with headshots (aside from the sniper)?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I agree with Nutter. The skill gap will still be in place as it has always been in previous Halo titles, but those who put more effort into their gunplay will be better rewarded.

In Call of Duty, your average player that might not care for headshots and simply unload their assault rifle into a player's body and still get proper feedback and a reward for doing so.

The player who uses the same gun, but takes the risk with aiming at the head knowing there's a smaller hitbox (less room for error) will be rewarded based on their ability and, if successful, given an extra bonus for their efforts. Both sides win in the end. Skill is all relative when it comes down to it.

@Hydranockz: I believe that Master Chief should be as close to his description from past novels as possible in the Reclaimer trilogy in order to create an immersive campaign experiece as possible.

But for multiplayer? Go crazy.

They might have improved, but because of that tactic they may have hit a early ceiling. Aiming for the chest and then having to aim for the head is going to take longer than just aiming at the head.

In a BR battle, strafing them jumping when no shields gave me the advantage against someone equally as good at me as aiming for the head, because it forced him to adjust his aim. Someone aiming for my chest and then trying to pull the reticule up before I could headshot them stood no chance, hes already crippling himself.

So sure for people who just want to get a few more kills, going for the chest is beneficial, but for anyone wanting to get really good that's a bad tactic.

Using canon to dictate multiplayer design decisions is bad. I think what Nutter means is that the precision weapons should be given a buff. Or that the spray and pray weapons should be weaker. The harder a weapon is to use the more kills it should get when used right.

I think Halo 3 had the sweet spot, Reach though I get ripped apart by Ar's before my Pistol bloom settles. Then again that opens up the AR vs BR argument again.

FyreWulff

They might have improved, but because of that tactic they may have hit a early ceiling. Aiming for the chest and then having to aim for the head is going to take longer than just aiming at the head.

In a BR battle, strafing them jumping when no shields gave me the advantage against someone equally as good at me as aiming for the head, because it forced him to adjust his aim. Someone aiming for my chest and then trying to pull the reticule up before I could headshot them stood no chance, hes already crippling himself.

So sure for people who just want to get a few more kills, going for the chest is beneficial, but for anyone wanting to get really good that's a bad tactic.

But if you're firing at their head, you increase the chance that bullets in the spread will fly past.

Only one of the bullets in the final shot needs to hit the head, so all you need to do is get the reticule to about their neck and the game will magnetize at least one of the 3 bullets into their head for the kill.

Jumping just makes the game activate aim friction so I practically beg people to jump when I'm sniping/headshotting in 2/3/Reach because it actually helps you headshot them.

Yeah, and Jones made the wrong decision. Sorry, he's much better at designing campaigns than he is at designing multiplayer. The less he's been involved with a Halo multiplayer, the better the multiplayer has gotten.

Of course this is just our respective opinions, but I disagree with this as much as humanly possible.

Tunavi

Banned
COD slaps the shit out of these beliefs..
In COD a scrub can blindside a good player and kill them before they turn around.

In Halo, a scrub with an AR can blindside a good player who has a DMR, the good player has time to turn around and embarrass the kid. However, if the good player has an AR, he'd most likely lose the encounter.

Although I agree with you in that I'd like to see a skill-based automatic weapon in Halo. Headshots please

But if you're firing at their head, you increase the chance that bullets in the spread will fly past.

Only one of the bullets in the final shot needs to hit the head, so all you need to do is get the reticule to about their neck and the game will magnetize at least one of the 3 bullets into their head for the kill.

Jumping just makes the game activate aim friction so I practically beg people to jump when I'm sniping/headshotting in 2/3/Reach because it actually helps you headshot them.

In a BR battle, if I land 3 shots on someone and they land 3 shots on me, but I jump and they dont they are going to have a harder time bringing the reticule up fast enough for the headshot than I am at just keeping the aim steady.

You can go all techno mumbo jumbo on me all you want, it wont work. I see through your weird voodoo.

All joking aside, normally I would agree, when people jump it makes them an easy headshot, but in a mid/close range BR battle you can easily finish someone off before they can finish you off just because they have to adjust theyre aim. Essentially your advice is telling people to put themselves at that disadvantage in every game.

Sure if you aim at the head, the target is smaller so the bullet spread could screw you over more, so I suppose your method works better in a playlist like BTB when your cross mapping. In a game on The Pit or Guardian though its much better to keep trained on the head. In a BR battle where both players are battling eachother, your method would put the player at a disadvantage.

daedalius

All this talk about Halo 3 makes me want to play it instead of Reach.

Thank goodness for the Anniversary maps, but even those have some issues :(

I'm not going to criticize - I think CEA is wonderful, and lots of fun. I think many people expected too much out of it - I considered it a re-skinning of sorts, and it played wonderfully despite the occasional frame rate dips.

I actually really enjoyed the Library this time around. The arrows, mixed with the achievements you must earn, make for an enjoyable experience. In fact, the achievements were SO MUCH FUN and made the game a richer, deeper experience.

All this did though, was remind me of how different this game really is from the rest. And I don't think they can replicate the awe, story and sense of open-ness (despite being a linear story) without completely re-inventing the wheel, either. And I loved how the terminals and books all made 343 GS sound like a boss who really wasn't crazy at all.

If I were to have 1 suggestion, it would be this: if an enemy isn't detecting you yet by proximity, don't let them 'detect' that you're honing in on their head from 100 yards away and get dodgy. It's really annoying. Also, the carrier Flood forms. How on earth do they always manage to fly near me when I throw a grenade behind them? So super annoying.

I look forward to how 343i will handle the future of Halo. CEA was a HUGE success for me personally. They delivered well for integrating into already-existing-tech, and deserve my $60 for Halo 4. Job well done!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So I was going back through the game to grab some more skulls/achievements and was switching between the old/updated graphics on Pillar of Autumn and...this happened at one point:

attachment.ashx-1p4cch.jpg

That would be one of the character models with his eye above his head attached by a fleshy...stick. Just one of them, mind, despite him having a soulless complete lack of eyes on his face. Pretty much every character except Keyes on the bridge looked this way. Abit eerie to say the least.

(Sorry about the crappy cellphone pic.)

Karl2177

I was searching for Frankie and Ellis's easter egg(with the hints cave and Scorpion), and in AotCR, on the plateau above the cave with 2 hunters(sorry for the terrible descriptors) the geometry between the two modes is off. I'm floating on air in the new version and I'm hitting an invisible wall before I should hit the real wall in the Classic version. That whole valley section is screwed up.

An-Det

Playing '343 Guilty Spark', there is a typo that bugged the hell out of me. When you find the marine that's cracked and shoots you, he says "I can stil hear them", with 'still' spelled wrong. However, with that being my biggest complaint with the game so far, I think I can live with it.

Playing '343 Guilty Spark', there is a typo that bugged the hell out of me. When you find the marine that's cracked and shoots you, he says "I can stil hear them", with 'still' spelled wrong. However, with that being my biggest complaint with the game so far, I think I can live with it.

Does that really bug you or do you just want to point out that there is a typo?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Looks like something out of a horror film.

I thought I had hit Back too many times and entered Dead Space mode.

Even the console guys were sporting the look. For a moment I thought they added some sort of weird futuristic headset...

halo_weird2ywcog.jpg

KevinRo

It's pretty much been confirmed at this point that the damage-modeling for the pistol was the result of an unintended glitch at the end of development.

But hey, if you think that a pistol that is universally effective at all ranges and renders every weapon outside of power-weapons pointless isn't broken, more power to you. :p

Haha, you've never actually played Halo. You might have played Halo but you never really played Halo.

Here, watch how to actually play Halo:CE:

Prisoner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2X6bo5KkpA

Damnation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70SG9Av6Hs

Chillout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOQq1tocGI

Hang 'Em High: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL63Rk_D5M

Hmmm, looks like they all still went for powerups and powerweapons. Looks like the better team won each time too.

How can you honestly sit there and say modern Halo multiplayer is an improvement over that shown above? You can't. That's why 10 years later, MLG players still LAN Halo:CE. Nuff said.

Haha, you've never actually played Halo. You might have played Halo but you never really played Halo.

Here, watch how to actually play Halo:CE:

Prisoner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2X6bo5KkpA

Damnation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70SG9Av6Hs

Chillout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOQq1tocGI

Hang 'Em High: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL63Rk_D5M

Hmmm, looks like they all still went for powerups and powerweapons. Looks like the better team won each time too.

How can you honestly sit there and say modern Halo multiplayer is an improvement over that shown above? You can't. That's why 10 years later, MLG players still LAN Halo:CE. Nuff said.

Truth

JMizzlin

I only need 3 more achievements. Both the library achievements and the one on two betrayals where you can't kill a grunt.

That's crazy! I'm in exactly the same boat. Not looking forward to the Library ones at all. But going to attempt them with a friend tonight. Good luck to you!

Trey

The Anniversary maps are a revelation. I haven't had that much fun in a non-Invasion Reach gametype in quite some time. I grew tired of all the Forge maps.

Halo has not fundamentally changed throughout its sequels. I think that's a good thing.

KevinRo

"Your way to play Halo is not Halo, my way to play Halo is Halo, even though we're both using the settings options Bungie gave us"

I just merely pointed out that his observation was moot and gave great examples of gameplay(seriously watch the videos) that instituted mechanics that still used other weapons. They still used the plasma rifle and shotgun in close quarter combat. They still grabbed powerups. They still used the sniper rifle and rocket launcher.

The pistol didn't render other weapons useless, infact it made the game fairer. Imagine starting out with an Assault Rifle against someone who has a Rocket Launcher or Sniper Rifle. Have fun spraying and praying with your assault rifle while the other team laughs at you respawning.

The pistol gave players a weapon that is perfectly suitable for long and close range combat and really allowed the better player with better aim to win, which at the core of all FPS multiplayer should be the #1 law. The player with better aim and intelligence should always win the match. The pistol fits that paradigm.

Just because Bungie thought the pistol was OP doesn't mean it actually was. Look at the progression of 'starting weapons' from HaloCE to Reach.

HaloCE: Assault Rifle
Halo2: SMG
Halo3: Assault Rifle
Reach: Assault Rifle

Now look at the 'weapon of choice' for those in close quarter combat and long range encounters:

HaloCE: Pistol
Halo2: Battle Rifle
Halo3: Battle Rifle
Reach: DMR

Each of these weapons can still shoot long range and dominate in close quarters. Nothing changed if you really think about it. The only differences in each of the successive games are the accompanying weapon sets available to the user and supplemented gameplay mechanics added to the Halo universe. The funny thing is, these accompanying weapons and changes never really balanced out the gameplay. Users still, ultimately, reverted back to the Battle Rifle and DMR. That is fact.

"Your way to play Halo is not Halo, my way to play Halo is Halo, even though we're both using the settings options Bungie gave us"

What you just said is so right though, there are sooooo many ways to play Halo that even after playing it so much I dont think ive seen every way people enjoy it.

I mean I know you cant say one persons way of playing is better than another persons way, but Halo in general is shockingly diverse. I hope going forward it stays that way. Guys who just want to use precision weapons should have that option, guys who just want to use spray guns should have that option.

Reach made precision weapon combat ultra sloppy :(

Does playing Coop through the levels count for my as an individual player? I went through the first 3 levels with a bud, went back to play and the level progressions wasnt there.

Has anyone played this with one of the new Playstation 3D TVs...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SZ49Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

...I am sorta in the market for a new monitor/tv for my desktop setup and this seems like the perfect size and feature set(2 HDMI inputs for PS3 and PC and 1 Component input for XBox 360) available at a decent price point with all things included(3D, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse). The SimulView tech seems quite interesting as well.

My questions are concerning the 3D mode as I have heard that it was pretty good in Halo: Anniversary but really was hoping to get some feedback on any particular experiences with this Playstation 3D branded TV.

God-motherfucking-DAMMIT. I was this close to getting through the Library on Heroic without dying, and then I somehow fuck it up right at the end and press the start button a half second too late. Fuck me. :(

Why are you pressing the start button for?

If I sense an impending death (like a shitload of Flood pouncing on me), I just revert to the last checkpoint and try again.

This time, a Carrier form was way too close for comfort... But exploded a bit faster than I had anticipated.

Kujo

If I sense an impending death (like a shitload of Flood pouncing on me), I just revert to the last checkpoint and try again.
Bad news, it instantly voids that cheesement. You have to do the entire level without ever reverting to last save. My best tip is to watch out for rocket wielding Flood lol

Yes lets give everyone a Rocket launcher because I want faster kill times.. *insert rollyeyes here*

All I read from the people who want more shots to take someone down is "I suck at Halo and aiming, so the more shots it takes to kill, the longer I can stay alive".

3Shot Pistol, 4shot BR or the 5shot DMR I can win a fight. I just want the game to finally let us do more damage if shooting at the head regardless of it being an AR or hell even a Spiker. Why should someone who is spraying the AR win a fight versus who is aiming and shooting at the head.

This is asinine. You're saying that players who are better at aiming are going to lose battles because they have MORE time to work with?

CoD shits all over this argument. An autistic chimp could hit a 1.0 K/D in CoD, because kills have little to do with with out-thinking, out-maneuvering, and out-skilling the other guy - instead, kills come so fast to every weapon, it's about who stumbled into a lucky bad spawn, or who happened to see the other guy first.

Longer, more dramatic fights DECREASE the chances of lucky kills by less skilled players.

Top Bottom