• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Kujo

Oh really? I'd heard otherwise. That sucks.

Oh well. :lol
I reverted while alive and it didn't pop up for me, but maybe you'll get lucky lol. Took me a few goes, I got sprung by rocket Flood a couple of times, next time I shot my own grenade too close. It's not too hard once you know what triggers all the spawns.

Longer, more dramatic fights DECREASE the chances of lucky kills by less skilled players.
When you don't have bloom to contend with, there's hardly any luck to contend with barring overly generous aim-assist.

Halo tends to hit that sweet spot, all the games in the main trilogy I felt had satisfying encounters. Stray too far, and battles feel irritating and overly drawn out. Too little, and you have the COD scenario where it might as well be instagib. Well, we have our playlist like that and it's SWAT and it sucks.

Personally I don't think the next game should aim at either ends of the extreme and instead focus on the perfection that the previous games (except Reach) hit.

I reverted while alive and it didn't pop up for me, but maybe you'll get lucky lol. Took me a few goes, I got sprung by rocket Flood a couple of times, next time I shot my own grenade too close. It's not too hard once you know what triggers all the spawns.

Well, since I died, it didn't pop up. :(

And the sucky thing about those spawns is that they can keep spawning Flood for three or four times, from what I can gather. You'd have cleared 'em out from afar, only to come close again and have it start all over.

Cynar

This is asinine. You're saying that players who are better at aiming are going to lose battles because they have MORE time to work with?

CoD shits all over this argument. An autistic chimp could hit a 1.0 K/D in CoD, because kills have little to do with with out-thinking, out-maneuvering, and out-skilling the other guy - instead, kills come so fast to every weapon, it's about who stumbled into a lucky bad spawn, or who happened to see the other guy first.

Longer, more dramatic fights DECREASE the chances of lucky kills by less skilled players.

So true, it sounds like the people who want shorter battles just want cod with space weapons. Halo has mostly been perfect in how long it takes to get a kill.

Kujo

And the sucky thing about those spawns is that they can keep spawning Flood for three or four times, from what I can gather. You'd have cleared 'em out from afar, only to come close again and have it start all over.
Yeah, I hate the respawning on that level, in the early parts of the level I eventually just tried to run past as many of those sections as possible. Later on though you want to be more careful near the end. Clear them out, move forward a bit to spawn more, run back 10 metres x10

So true, it sounds like the people who want shorter battles just want cod with space weapons. Halo has mostly been perfect in how long it takes to get a kill.
Look at the Halo CE vids that KevinRo posted on the last page, please. Tell me, does that look like CoD to you?

This goes for Antitype too, do you really think that looks anything at all like CoD?

Haha, you've never actually played Halo. You might have played Halo but you never really played Halo.

Here, watch how to actually play Halo:CE:

Prisoner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2X6bo5KkpA

Damnation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70SG9Av6Hs

Chillout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOQq1tocGI

Hang 'Em High: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL63Rk_D5M

Hmmm, looks like they all still went for powerups and powerweapons. Looks like the better team won each time too.

How can you honestly sit there and say modern Halo multiplayer is an improvement over that shown above? You can't. That's why 10 years later, MLG players still LAN Halo:CE. Nuff said.

Yes, it's true, I have never played Halo in MLG and thank god for that, cause it looked boring as hell. Seriously, those were some of the least interesting, blink-and-you'll-miss-them encounters I've ever seen. The MLG stuff I've seen of Halo 3 were MUCH more entertaining, and I haven't checked out anything for Reach yet.

Seriously, what were those videos supposed to disprove? 99% fire-fights were pistol-on-pistol, and the only other weapons players bothered to pick up were power-weapons (RL, Snipe, shotty)... which is exactly what I said.

When the utility weapon is more effective at ALL RANGES than the vast majority of the weapons you can pick up on the map, that is a significant balance issue.

Look at the Halo CE vids that KevinRo posted on the last page, please. Tell me, does that look like CoD to you?

This goes for Antitype too, do you really think that looks anything at all like CoD?

No, you're right. CoD has much more weapon variety per match than that.

Look, I don't mind if they speed up player movement-speed, jump speed, take the utility-weapon back down to 4SK. Just don't dial it all the way back to Halo: CE, cause that game is viewed through the most obscene rose-colored glasses ever.

I enjoyed the hell out of Halo:CE when it was released. Poured hundreds of hours into it... and every Halo since. And for me, they've only been getting better. I see why people don't like Reach, it's too different from what the expect of a HALO. But I like some of the risks Bungie took with the game, I love the weapon balance, and I love the concept of AAs, even if they weren't balanced and tweaked as well as they could have been (see: Shadowrun).

So Halo 4 will get rid of them. The prequel was the cool testing ground for interesting ideas, the main trilogy will get back to standard-fare.

I just think the notion that bad players like slower games and good players like faster games is ridiculous.

I think kill times should be as short as they need to be in order for mid-long range rifle kills to exist. I mean, cross-mapping on Reach with the DMR/NR just doesn't happen without someone assisting. That can get frustrating. I want to be empowered as an individual player outside of close range. That said, kill times should still be long enough that a good strafe/gandhi hopping/whatever else you can think of can still be effective.

AAs/Shadowrun - Not sure where Sage's head was at for Reach. Shadowrun is probably the most balanced console FPS by a country mile. Hoping he can bounce back for Destiny (is it still called that?).

Yes, it's true, I have never played Halo in MLG and thank god for that, cause it looked boring as hell. Seriously, those were some of the least interesting, blink-and-you'll-miss-them encounters I've ever seen. The MLG stuff I've seen of Halo 3 were MUCH more entertaining, and I haven't checked out anything for Reach yet.

Seriously, what were those videos supposed to disprove? 99% fire-fights were pistol-on-pistol, and the only other weapons players bothered to pick up were power-weapons (RL, Snipe, shotty)... which is exactly what I said.

When the utility weapon is more effective at ALL RANGES than the vast majority of the weapons you can pick up on the map, that is a significant balance issue.
Let's boil this down, what weapons are you hankering for more use in CE?

Needler
AR
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle

The plasma rifle went on to be even less useful in the other games, the AR along with the melee lunge made for the AR rushing zombies in 3, with the PP came along the "noob combo", and the needler kept being the needler.

It's weird because you say MLG in Halo 3 was much more entertaining and go on to describe the weapon use in CE, but in truth it just substituted the pistol for a BR and it was still a grab for the power weapons.

KevinRo

Where you start off wrong is by calling any weapon that can shoot long and short distances a 'utility weapon'. The crazy thing about that is you could literally replace the words 'utility weapon' with any starting weapon MLG has used in any Halo game since Halo:CE.

The 'utility weapon' in Halo 2, 3 and Reach has the exact same function as the Pistol in Halo:CE. Watch some MLG videos on 2, 3 and Reach. You start out with a 'utility weapon' that is deadly long range and close quarters. Nothing has changed in terms of the usefulness and range of the 'utility weapon'.

The only thing that has changed in regards to the attributes of the 'utility weapon' are that it uses a different round burst, the amount of shots it takes to kill someone, the time it takes to kill someone, the amount of auto-aim attributed to the weapon, and the amount of damage a headshot entails.

Those attributes are the core problem with the 'utility weapons' the other Halo games employ that is not named the Pistol. By tweaking those attributes, Bungie has literally narrowed the skill gap that MLG players use to have when playing Halo:CE. Whatever their reason for doing so, the results ended up changing the balance with players, not the balance with weapons.

Is it that hard to understand? No one ever picks up any of the other weapons in the Halo sandbox other than the standard 'utility weapon', powerweapons and powerups... in any Halo game ever. If they do, it's out of dire circumstances or for a novel one on one battle that happens rarely. Infact, the crazy thing about that is, the sequals to Halo:CE effectively nerfed the plasma rifle, plasma pistol, shotgun and needler. Yes, that's right. Bungie nerfed every single weapon from Halo:CE that isn't a power weapon. Want proof? Play Reach and pick up each weapon I just listed. Each attribute that made those weapons special and unique in the Halo series has been removed.

The issue isn't with the 'utility weapon', the issue is with the weapons Bungie surrounds that 'utility weapon' with in the game.

Also, I want to revisit this issue that the Pistol causes a 'balance issue'? It's pretty ignorant to say there is balance issue with that particular weapon when everyone starts out with the same weapon... Let me repeat that to you. Everyone starts with the same weapon. How do you get more balanced and fair then that?

Assuming that's not what you meant by 'balance issue', I'm going to go out on a limb and say you think the Pistol cancels out the effectiveness of any power weapons on any map. The great thing about that is, it does the exact opposite. lol.

The Pistol does have on effect on powerups and powerweapons, just not the reason you think it does. The Pistol requires the user to actually have some sort of skill using power weapons. It requires the user to actually be good with sniper. It requires the user to be frugal with the rockets. It requires the user to rely less on power weapons and powerups. It requires the user to play smart and not run out in the middle of the map like CoD. It effectively makes the game more competitive and less noob friendly.

Trey

I don't agree. CE was very balanced, and there wasn't much of a sandbox outside of the PWs. AR, PP, PR, Needler. That's it.

I've long since stopped trying to convince other people that my opinion regarding Halo multiplayer is one they should hold as well - like arguing about virtually anything else on the internet (or, actually, anywhere), it's a fool's errand. Still, as far as I'm concerned, Halo multiplayer began and ended with what you showed above. Sublime.

Magni

I just don't get how people can think that faster Halo (ie, CE) means space CoD.

Halo 3 MLG is Halo 1 MLG with the same (or less even!) weapons toned down - all of them including grenades - on worse maps. It just has prettier graphics.

So let me get this straight... you want filler weapons that serve no purpose for "variety" ? Really?

ZZMitch

Just beat the campaign, it was as great as I remember it!

But dammit I fell out of my warthog 100m from the end and missed the achievement! Rage! :p

MagniHarvald said:
So let me get this straight... you want filler weapons that serve no purpose for "variety" ? Really?

Obviously the only alternative to having one weapon that dominates almost every encounter is to have a field full of useless, filler weapons, right?

Look at Reach.

Pistol - Starting utility weapon. Head-shot capable, beats the AR at medium-range, good enough to knock the DMR out of zoom at med-range. It was better in the beta, but still serves the role. Upgrade to DMR if you EARN your way to the weapon spawn or drop.

DMR - Mid-range power-house, can battle snipers and pester at long range, but increasing rate of fire causes lack of accuracy, which makes it less effective at close-range or at finishing at long-range.

NR - Tighter bloom and 2x scope make it a better mid-range choice for those who lean towards mid-range combat, less useful at keeping snipers at by than the DMR. Likewise, those who have problems nailing moving targets for the head shot can rattle off 3 quick shots for the combine. It fills the same role as the DMR, but rewards different playing styles.

AR - Good short-range damage dealer, decent at mid-range when paired with a grenade. Will not protect you against good players using precision weapons properly (from mid-range), but it gets the job done.

PR - Not balanced properly. The ONE thing I miss from Halo: CE is the fact that the original PR 'stunned' players and slowed them down, which set the weapon apart. It wasn't enough to make anybody choose the fucking thing over the OP pistol, but it was still a cool differentiator. This chews through shields faster than the AR and is more accurate, but I don't like it that much. Some people use it to great effect.

Needler - Mid-range automatic weapon. Homing projectiles can guarantee you a kill, but you have to be sure to take the shot when the target is either out in the open, or in a tight hallway. If they get to cover and not all the shots land, the reload time and lack of damage means they'll likely kill you for the mistake.

The rest - Shotgun, Sniper(s), Explosive weapons - are all pretty self-explanatory. There's nothing that spawns on the map that can't be used effectively against any of the utility weapons (whether it's pistol or DMR you spawn with).

KevinRo, I'll address your post sometime tomorrow, I'm too exhausted to go through point by point right now.

Not sure where else to place this, so it will go here.

Glasslands spoiler:

Hood approved the budget for a SPARTAN IV Program?!?! AWESOME! I wonder what a difference this will have if it is a large public effort with lots of public funding that is publicized from the start. Would be neat to see the public's perception, and some other scientists' input as well. Integration into mech suits like the one we saw in Halo Legends would be neat as well.

Striker

The primary weapon I want to resurface more than any other is the Halo CE plasma rifle. Of course a ranged hitscan based rifle, but one that isn't too powerful that it can ping people across the map with pinpoint accuracy (2x). Those are two necessities.

I can't believe how good the Anniversary Classic playlist is.

Just wish I could play all the maps in it.

I love the Anniversary playlist for some of the maps, and the standard game modes.

The 'Anniversary' gametypes, play like shit IMO. Too many of those in a row, and I have to back out and play vanilla Reach to wash the taste out of my mouth.

I just want Bungie to bring the 85% bloom, damage bleed-through, revised armor lock, and the rest of the changes to ALL the Reach playlists. It feels perfect.

I love the Anniversary playlist for some of the maps, and the standard game modes.

The 'Anniversary' gametypes, play like shit IMO. Too many of those in a row, and I have to back out and play vanilla Reach to wash the taste out of my mouth.

I just want Bungie to bring the 85% bloom, damage bleed-through, revised armor lock, and the rest of the changes to ALL the Reach playlists. It feels perfect.

Man, that is really interesting to here actually. Because I have literally only played Anniversary Classic lol. First time I played Halo for more than an hour at once in months.

I would definitely take the 85% and other changes on all the maps too. So either way I am happy.
3AQmK.gif

Striker

Certain maps are just not worth the AA/equipment pieces, and Headlong is one of them. As is Beaver Creek. Jetpacks ruin Headlong's movement and only the OS works perfectly on Beaver Creek, and like Tombstone (a superior version of Hang em High).

Bungie is done with this game, it's all 343i right now. I hope there's some news regarding 85% bloom, and the other changes to the default disc. I rather see 85% go elsewhere and they fix some of the maps or other glitches. And remove the garbage AA evade from everything sans Elites using it in Invasion/Elite Slayer.

Okay, Two Betrayals. I make it across the first bridge, fight inside, go out on the second bridge and get blown up by a Flood with a Rocket Launcher...

And the game sends me back to bridge 1. Fuck.

daedalius

So you enjoy people evading/jetpacking/armorlocking everywhere?

Would rather move at 120% speed than have sprint.

Oh well, guess we won't be partying with you anytime soon... since we pretty much stay in Annv. Classic and Annv. BTB most of the time, and generally try to vote for Annv. gametype.

Trey

I love everything about the Anniversary playlist. It's so good.

The only changes I can say I disapprove of in the TU beta is the removal of the sword bash with block. That was a skillful counter against the sword and should've been kept in. The only way you were blocking the sword is if you anticipated exactly when they would lunge. I don't believe you could sword block on reaction.

I love everything about the Anniversary playlist. It's so good.

The only changes I can say I disapprove of in the TU beta is the removal of the sword bash with block. That was a skillful counter against the sword and should've been kept in. The only way you were blocking the sword is if you anticipated exactly when they would lunge. I don't believe you could sword block on reaction.
That's not skill, that's guesswork, and therefore relies on luck.

Trey

That's not skill, that's guesswork, and therefore relies on luck.

You don't play fighting games, apparently.

It's not luck, it's a mini system whereupon the anticipation of that very skill-less lunge can pay off in staying alive and diminishing the sword player's shield.

blamite

Sword block was so ridiculously easy to pull off. I'm glad it's gone from classic, but I wish it could have stayed (with much, much tighter timing required) for gametypes with sprint or evade.

Holy shit, are those credits cycling through every Halo games' credits in the last ten years or what?

Haha, lol, the implementation of that post-credits scene is awful. There's no other word to describe it.

blamite

Holy shit, are those credits cycling through every Halo games' credits in the last ten years or what?

Haha, lol, the implementation of that post-credits scene is awful. There's no other word to describe it.
This reminds me, does the fact that Gearbox was credited mean that Anniversary was based on the PC version of Halo? Is there any real difference in that version?

Striker said:
Certain maps are just not worth the AA/equipment pieces, and Headlong is one of them. As is Beaver Creek. Jetpacks ruin Headlong's movement and only the OS works perfectly on Beaver Creek, and like Tombstone (a superior version of Hang em High).

As much as I'm not a fan of AAs in Reach, I think jetpacks offer a whole new and interesting way of playing Headlong. They give a faster alternative to the flag/bomb point forcing the defense (or at least a good defense) to be closer to and within the main tower. With the higher accuracy of the DMR at longer ranges (much higher than the H3 BR and still higher than the H2 BR at long ranges), the jetpacks are countered a bit anyway. Though, I'll state I'd prefer a H3 BR for H4- it'd make large maps with not so much cover far more enjoyable.

I like Halo for its variety of its game types and gameplay- having games with and without jetpacks just spices things up even more. Also, technically, jetpacks provide a more authentic H2 experience in terms of mitigating fall damage. Overall, Headlong shows that AAs are not too bad, it's just that Reach's maps are horrible for them.

This reminds me, does the fact that Gearbox was credited mean that Anniversary was based on the PC version of Halo? Is there any real difference in that version?

From what I've read over at HBO, I believe the campaign does use some Halo PC code. There are a few geometry/glitch changes in CEA that were present in the PC version.

S1kkZ

so, i got a new xbox today (the gears of war 3 limited console) and guess what? all of the annoying stuttering during the gameplay is gone. the framerate is still not perfect but its weird that the game performs so different on different systems.

ElRenoRaven

I'm pretty sure the bulk of the code came from the PC version. Several glitches that were fixed on it are fixed on this. As an example unlike the xbox version you couldn't climb out of the Halo map on PC because when you'd get to a certain height it would lock your controls and cause you to slide down the wall. If you did it in the right spot this would lead to you getting stuck cause your warthog wouldn't slide down far enough. That happens in this version too. Also based on how jittery the menus are makes me think of the PC version too because it had it's support for controllers was very shitty and it would be very jittery like that on menus when using a 360 controller.

So yea I'd say thanking the Gearbox guys was fair to do.

Anyone got a video of the Kinect stuff? I would love to see the lightening easter egg, but tbh im just generally interested in seeing how the library looks and stuff.

Certain Affinity recently had a contest to win a signed Anniversary Poster. To enter, you had write a sentence or two about a Halo memory you had.

I won with this:

I met everyone in my dorm not through handshakes and introductions, but through three shot kills on Hang 'Em and stealing flags in Blood Gulch.

I've kept those friends for 10 years.

And here's the poster:
4cawDl.jpg

This is another thing I love about Halo. Developers are involved in the community.

To any Certain Affinity devs reading, Thanks!

daedalius

Certain Affinity recently had a contest to win a signed Anniversary Poster. To enter, you had write a sentence or two about a Halo memory you had.

I won with this:

And here's the poster:
4cawDl.jpg

This is another thing I love about Halo. Developers are involved in the community.

To any Certain Affinity devs reading, Thanks!

Certain Affinity just makes Austin that much cooler.

So you enjoy people evading/jetpacking/armorlocking everywhere?

Would rather move at 120% speed than have sprint.

Oh well, guess we won't be partying with you anytime soon... since we pretty much stay in Annv. Classic and Annv. BTB most of the time, and generally try to vote for Annv. gametype.

I honestly don't have a preference as far as the AAs go. I have fun in matches with them, and just as much fun in matches without them.

I think the developers could do a better job of choosing which AAs get used in each gametype or on each map, and tweak some of the charge times to prevent them from being spammed, but I like the tactical wrinkles they introduce into fire-fights.

My issue with the Anniversary gametypes isn't the lack of AAs, it's the fact that most of the maps 343i chose to include have NOT stood the test of time for Slayer gametypes. Prisoner and Damnation are both sloppy trash. The revamps are slightly better.

Also, the tweakes they made to the movement and damage modeling feels off to me. The 3SK pistol is erratic at best, strafing and movement feels slidey... for lack of a better description. I feel like I'm walking on ice the entire time, and not because I'm moving faster (I actually like that), just because it feels like changes in direction take a fraction of a second longer to input.

As much as I'm not a fan of AAs in Reach, I think jetpacks offer a whole new and interesting way of playing Headlong. They give a faster alternative to the flag/bomb point forcing the defense (or at least a good defense) to be closer to and within the main tower. With the higher accuracy of the DMR at longer ranges (much higher than the H3 BR and still higher than the H2 BR at long ranges), the jetpacks are countered a bit anyway. Though, I'll state I'd prefer a H3 BR for H4- it'd make large maps with not so much cover far more enjoyable.

I like Halo for its variety of its game types and gameplay- having games with and without jetpacks just spices things up even more. Also, technically, jetpacks provide a more authentic H2 experience in terms of mitigating fall damage. Overall, Headlong shows that AAs are not too bad, it's just that Reach's maps are horrible for them.

It's an on-going argument about the notion of 'map control' and whether all players should have to traverse the map in a certain way, so that teams can control certain areas by holding down certain entry/exit points and choke-points.

I personally don't think the Jetpack hurts map control at all, it just forces teams to adapt and react to challenges from different angles.

daedalius

I honestly don't have a preference as far as the AAs go. I have fun in matches with them, and just as much fun in matches without them.

I think the developers could do a better job of choosing which AAs get used in each gametype or on each map, and tweak some of the charge times to prevent them from being spammed, but I like the tactical wrinkles they introduce into fire-fights.

My issue with the Anniversary gametypes isn't the lack of AAs, it's the fact that most of the maps 343i chose to include have NOT stood the test of time for Slayer gametypes. Prisoner and Damnation are both sloppy trash. The revamps are slightly better.

Also, the tweakes they made to the movement and damage modeling feels off to me. The 3SK pistol is erratic at best, strafing and movement feels slidey... for lack of a better description. I feel like I'm walking on ice the entire time, and not because I'm moving faster (I actually like that), just because it feels like changes in direction take a fraction of a second longer to input.

You won't get any argument on most of this out of me, I was with Havok when he was making that video posted in community side about the pistol issues.

Trey

If you didn't hate the pistol before in vanilla Reach, play the Anniversary classic playlist for a bit and then go back. You'll loathe the peashooter.

Top Bottom