• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Striker

Better yet, play Halo 3.

Fuck, every non-power weapon in Halo 3 was such garbage.
Basically. The dual wielded weapons were useless and never picked up because you didn't spawn with them, and the SMG/PR was nerfed compared to its Halo 2 counterpart. The Magnum was a complete joke, and a troll on Bungie's part I would assume. At the very least they could have made it somewhat defensible. Even Reach has more used weapons in the MP - although they had no reason to decrease the power of the Plasma Repeater from the beta. That's probably the only weapon that marginally goes untouched throughout.

So i played Halo Reach MP for the first time since HCEA came out. Wow the movement is so slow.

I'm suddenly good with the pistol in %85 game types now. I use it over the DMR now.

Hero

I had a lot of fun with Halo 3 MP. I like Reach as well but not as much.

Also, the pistol is just too overpowered in Halo:CE. There's no point in using any other weapon unless it's the rocket launcher or sniper rifle and the shotgun on certain levels. Not good game design there.

lol? SMG, AR, plasma rifle, brute shot, needler, and the plasma pistol.

Stinkers: spiker.

SMG - weak and inaccurate

Magnum - see above

AR - Spray and pray with rampant packet loss

BR - Shit spread

Carbine - see above

Brute Shot - lol?

PR and Spiker - Garbage

Needler - Easily avoidable. Maybe good if you get behind someone.

PP - I'd almost consider this a power weapon, but I'll give it props regardless. Same with the Mauler.

AR, SMG, the mauler and the plasma rifle (all combined with melee) were all very good in close quarters combat. People underestimated the plasma rifle; mostly went unused.

Brute shot - "lol?" Did you even use it? Great against vehicles and close-mid range combat.

The Needler being easily avoidable? Haha. That's an outright lie. You'd practically be caught dead on a BTB map and I had a Needler and medium range. Many in HaloGAF can attest to my Needler skills from customs.

Carbine didn't have a bad spread; it was a good, though not good as, substitute for the BR. The spread on the BR was meant to bring the combat into medium-close range combat. If you disagree with its implementation, that's okay.

Is it just me, or is the warthog in the trench run on The Maw harder to drive on Legendary? I swear that's the case.

Faster rate of fire makes it more powerful than the AR at close range. It can also be dual-wieldable for double damage, but that's really only advantageous in tight confines.

Magnum - see above

Ok agreed, I never used this much in Halo 3.

Shallow clip meant those who sprayed-and-prayed ran out of ammo pretty quickly and had to suicide-run for a melee kill. Others, who used grenades wisely or pumped the trigger could easily defeat such bum-rushers.

BR - Shit spread

Spread ensured that the weapon wasn't too versatile, as it's effectiveness at range was severely hampered. If this was not the case, people would be four-shotting each other clear-cross the map. Not fun. Great mid-range weapon though.

Carbine - see above

This was a single-shot weapon. It was weakened after the beta if I recall correctly, which is too bad, cause it was a pretty effective counter to the BR. Still, I prefer the NR/DMR dichotomy, because the two weapons are more unique from each other.

Brute Shot - lol?

Again, I'll agree. Pointless power weapon in a game that already had the RL and the Laser.

PR and Spiker - Garbage

If Halo 3 had a larger number of great, smaller arena-maps, these would have been fine cause of their dual-wielding capability. But yeah, in the Halo 3 sandbox, with the relatively open maps taken into account, these were useless.

It SHOULD be fairly easy to avoid, since it's basically an instant-kill or nothing. If you catch a guy out in the open, with no cover, or in a tight space like a hallway, it's great. Beats the Needler in Halo or Halo 2, which were useless in EVERY scenario.

Magnum - see above

BR - Shit spread

Carbine - see above

Brute Shot - lol?

PR and Spiker - Garbage

PP - I'd almost consider this a power weapon, but I'll give it props regardless. Same with the Mauler.
I dare you to get into a Needler fight with Dax in Halo 3. I DARE you.

GhaleonEB

I never once had an issue with the BR in Halo 3. If my shots weren't all landing, I knew I was out of range and had to close some distance.

I never once had an issue with the BR in Halo 3. If my shots weren't all landing, I knew I was out of range and had to close some distance.

User error.

Continue to attempt kills from out of range and complain that Bungie and 343i need to bring back the Halo: CE pistol.

Yeah lets make a game where ranged combat is worthless unless someone haz a sniper. brilliant

BR's "medium range" would basically be just a hair outside of close range in any other game.

AR, SMG, the mauler and the plasma rifle (all combined with melee) were all very good in close quarters combat. People underestimated the plasma rifle; mostly went unused.

Brute shot - "lol?" Did you even use it? Great against vehicles and close-mid range combat.

The Needler being easily avoidable? Haha. That's an outright lie. You'd practically be caught dead on a BTB map and I had a Needler and medium range. Many in HaloGAF can attest to my Needler skills from customs.

Carbine didn't have a bad spread; it was a good, though not good as, substitute for the BR. The spread on the BR was meant to bring the combat into medium-close range combat. If you disagree with its implementation, that's okay.

Is it just me, or is the warthog in the trench run on The Maw harder to drive on Legendary? I swear that's the case.

If im using new graphics my Hog seems to drive worse, I do generally notice input lag on new graphics mode though. :s

Yeah lets make a game where ranged combat is worthless unless someone haz a sniper. brilliant

BR's "medium range" would basically be just a hair outside of close range in any other game.

The BR is accurate enough to pester at range - that is, deal some damage, force people to cover, and knock snipers out of zoom mode.

I'm not saying the BR or DMR should worthless at range. I just think it should take longer to finish the kill.

That way, you can START the engagement and hopefully (god willing, for the sake of entertainment value) work your way towards the target (or objective).

I CAN use the M4 in BF3 to try and kill people at long range. It works. It takes fucking time though, cause the kick-back and barrel climb force you to take longer between each shot.

GhaleonEB

Most of the combat mechanics (grenades, melee, most of the weapons) require close range to come into play. A longer range weapon just pushes combat out further and causes a host of problems...as the DMR has done to Reach.

The magnum in reach was spot on in the beta but they nurfed the shit out of it for retail, but it is still good and fun to use, steady aim wins the day with that weapon.

It's why I like AR pistol starts, you get the pistol and it can still kill at range if you pace your shots, beautiful gun.

Satchel

Banned
I pray the BR never comes back.

Most inconsistent weapon in MP in the history of the franchise.

Fucking joke. DMR is a godsend.

Trey

The magnum in reach was spot on in the beta but they nurfed the shit out of it for retail, but it is still good and fun to use, steady aim wins the day with that weapon.

It's why I like AR pistol starts, you get the pistol and it can still kill at range if you pace your shots, beautiful gun.

Reach pistol is quite underpowered, I feel. It can't really touch someone, and only a terrible person will be killed from full by it at range. The pistol is only beating out the DMR in close quarters if you spam it and get lucky (which is counter skill, I have to admit) and forget about it against the AR. Unless you score a melee trade with the pistol out, you can't really call it effective at any situation other than staving off a midrange sniper if you're out in the open.

The DMR is a mini sniper rifle in anyone's hands. If you can't land shots at range with that thing, you're worse than me and I feel sorry for you.

Landing shots and getting kills are two completely different things.

The DMR is dead accurate but the actual kill times at range are hella long.

Then you have Reach where nobody fucking dies at range unless you get assisted.

Landing shots and getting kills are two completely different things.

The DMR is dead accurate but the actual kill times at range are hella long.

Which I enjoy a great deal actually.

Being picked off from across a map SHOULD be a rare occurrence, and you SHOULD have to earn your way to a power-weapon to do it.

Nobody likes being killed by somebody they didn't even see. It's not fun. It's VERY fun to be on the otherside of that equation, but like I said, you earn the right to be there and use a weapon capable of it.

The BR is accurate enough to pester at range - that is, deal some damage, force people to cover, and knock snipers out of zoom mode.

I'm not saying the BR or DMR should worthless at range. I just think it should take longer to finish the kill.

That way, you can START the engagement and hopefully (god willing, for the sake of entertainment value) work your way towards the target (or objective).

I CAN use the M4 in BF3 to try and kill people at long range. It works. It takes fucking time though, cause the kick-back and barrel climb force you to take longer between each shot.

How about just making it more difficult to kill? Why shorten the kill times?

To your point about variety: All those weapons you love for variety are all basically the same weapon with a different skin. What's the point? That isn't variety no matter how much you claim it is.

Halo has always been about the mid range weapon (Pistol, BR, DMR) and the short list of power weapons that excel in short, mid and long range. The Shotgun (mauler is the same thing), Sniper (cov sniper is the same), Rockets, and the mid range power weapon (plasma pistol in h2, grenade launcher in reach). The other weapons were useless. In CE, the plasma rifle was actually useful and was used by pros despite your claim that the pistol was overpowered.

CE had the most powerful utility weapon, and yet, also had the most useful weapons out of all the Halos. This is seen at the pro levels where they only use the weapons that are effective. So who cares if it looks boring, which I don't think it does. CE multiplayer was a lot more fun to play than every other Halo.

Reach pistol is quite underpowered, I feel. It can't really touch someone, and only a terrible person will be killed from full by it at range. The pistol is only beating out the DMR in close quarters if you spam it and get lucky (which is counter skill, I have to admit) and forget about it against the AR. Unless you score a melee trade with the pistol out, you can't really call it effective at any situation other than staving off a midrange sniper if you're out in the open.

I agree mostly, also why the beta pistol was better as it had less spread and was stronger? not too sure about the power part but it was a killing machine for me back then and I loved how it felt.

bungie also cocked up the pro pipe, was godly in the beta against players then they turned it down 10 notches.

Nutter

Antitype loves Halo (reach) as is.. Well good for you buddy.. too bad the population for the game speaks for itself. If they want their fanbase back.. Im sure 343 knows what they have to do, otherwise goodbye Halo MP.

Trey

I agree mostly, also why the beta pistol was better as it had less spread and was stronger? not too sure about the power part but it was a killing machine for me back then and I loved how it felt.

bungie also cocked up the pro pipe, was godly in the beta against players then they turned it down 10 notches.

It did feel better in the beta. Though at this point I cannot tell if it was excitement from the pistol actually being usable again that clouded my judgment.

Antitype loves Halo (reach) as is.. Well good for you buddy.. too bad the population for the game speaks for itself. If they want their fanbase back.. Im sure 343 knows what they have to do, otherwise goodbye Halo MP.

Population is healthy, just not dominant. The new king panders to the lowest common denominator to produce a game which does not allow a lot of skill to be displayed. If Halo 4 goes in that direction, then I will not play its multiplayer.

Satchel

Banned

What do they have to do?

Because becoming CoD isn't it.

If I was going to make an argument for 'fixing' Halo MP, the only thing I'd change is getting rid of AAs. I actually like Halo Reach MP the best outside Halo CE (which can't be played online...normally).

They also need to get rid of their online achievements. Actually, online achievements need to go altogether. It's the dumbest thing they did with achievements. CoD has never had them, yet the online community is strongest on CoD.

If people want to play your game online, they will, forcing them to try and get achievements that are impossible to get after 6 months or so is just fucking stupid.

Then they just need to fine tune the weapon balance. Pistol needs to be stronger. The Anniversary playlists are awesome thanks to that pistol.

Trey

Because becoming CoD isn't it.

If I was going to make an argument for 'fixing' Halo MP, the only thing I'd change is getting rid of AAs. I actually like Halo Reach MP the best outside Halo CE (which can't be played online...normally).

They also need to get rid of their online achievements. Actually, online achievements need to go altogether. It's the dumbest thing they did with achievements. CoD has never had them, yet the online community is strongest on CoD.

If people want to play your game online, they will, forcing them to try and get achievements that are impossible to get after 6 months or so is just fucking stupid.

Then they just need to fine tune the weapon balance. Pistol needs to be stronger. The Anniversary playlists are awesome thanks to that pistol.

I agree.

They should keep doing what they do now: have gametypes with AAs in them, and gametypes without. Some people, myself included, have fun with AAs.

I could get behind this idea. The only cheevos I've yet to get are all the map pack online ones, and I'm not going out of my way to obtain them.

Pistol does need to be stronger. Anniversary Halo is best Halo.

feel

I pray the BR never comes back.

Most inconsistent weapon in MP in the history of the franchise.

Fucking joke. DMR is a godsend.
:(

The BR is awesome, have you only used the Halo 3 one? That one is kinda bad. Hit-scan BR with almost no spread would be godly for Halo 4. trrr trrr trrr trrr

Does anyone else feel, after finishing all of the terminals, that the Didact will be the bad guy in Halo 4? Perhaps he survived somehow and returns enraged to see what has happened.

I can't shake the feeling that mystery A.I. guy in the terminals in Halo 3 has something to do with it as well... do we know who he is?

Which I enjoy a great deal actually.

I'll make you a deal. You can have your long kill times if I can have no recharging shields.

Because that's what it comes down to essentially. You work your ass off with the DMR at range and the opponent ducks behind something for a few seconds and emerges unscathed. It's a bit demoralizing.

Shadowrun has long-ass kill times at range with the Rifle but I'll never ever bitch about it because shots actually matter. If I take you down to 50% health, I've put you at a permanent disadvantage unless you can find a Tree. And if you do, I can make an aggressive push as you're glued to that Tree trying to recover life. The push-pull here can become very tactical and engaging.

Obviously Halo isn't Shadowrun, but for a game with regenerating health, the kill times can't be that long. Otherwise the game is dominated by close or close-mid range encounters (ranges where 1v1 fights are actually finished) which leads to stale gameplay.

First time actually playing a HALO game, and it's pretty fun. Tried playing Halo 2 campaign back in 05/06 and I was literally snoring. Now I'm at the part where the demo for the first game was set. I played that so many years ago and it took me 3 hours to complete it...enjoyed it but never bought it. hah.
This is definitely online co-op right?
EDIT: Just read OP

I really don't want to get mad about this but whoever decided to throw people back into matchmaking after a game did not think it through.

You know why there are so many quitters and people not playing? Because they get thrown into another game either not knowing it or finding out and turning off their xbox.

It's really fucking annoying

Trey

I really don't want to get mad about this but whoever decided to throw people back into matchmaking after a game did not think it through.

You know why there are so many quitters and people not playing? Because they get thrown into another game either not knowing it or finding out and turning off their xbox.

It's really fucking annoying

They give you like thirty seconds on top of the time it takes to search for a match before it locks you into the next match lobby. That's quite a bit of time to know whether you want to keep playing or not.

I'll make you a deal. You can have your long kill times if I can have no recharging shields.

Because that's what it comes down to essentially. You work your ass off with the DMR at range and the opponent ducks behind something for a few seconds and emerges unscathed. It's a bit demoralizing.

Shadowrun has long-ass kill times at range with the Rifle but I'll never ever bitch about it because shots actually matter. If I take you down to 50% health, I've put you at a permanent disadvantage unless you can find a Tree. And if you do, I can make an aggressive push as you're glued to that Tree trying to recover life. The push-pull here can become very tactical and engaging.

Obviously Halo isn't Shadowrun, but for a game with regenerating health, the kill times can't be that long. Otherwise the game is dominated by close or close-mid range encounters (ranges where 1v1 fights are actually finished) which leads to stale gameplay.

I will never argue with a game leaning ever closer to the perfect balance of Shadowrun.

That said, I don't know why you would work your ass off at range instead of working your way towards the enemy to ensure that any subsequent battles are ended in quicker and more decisive fashion.

Ecrofirt

So, I'm at The Library on Heroic now.

It's actually one of the easier levels I've played on Heroic so far. I have a pretty much foolproof tactic of drawing the Flood in small bunches around corners where I'm waiting with my shotgun.

The hardest part of the level was the first minute or two before I picked the shotgun up.

Also, there's nothing funnier to me than seeing a single rocket flying right at my face and knowing there's nothing I can do. I usually jump and try to get a funny death at least.

Striker

Spread ensured that the weapon wasn't too versatile, as it's effectiveness at range was severely hampered. If this was not the case, people would be four-shotting each other clear-cross the map. Not fun. Great mid-range weapon though.
The range was impacted because of 1) the wild netcode, and 2) the bullet travel/spread on the Battle Rifle. Combine both and it is not a fun experience. That's why people were thrilled with hitscan was announced in returning.

Difference between that and the other two Halo MP games, Halo 2's BR was both hitscan and 2x, but had its aim assist drop while the enemy were further away. Balance out nicely. The DMR's issue is the 3x zoom, because having hitscan is fantastic. There wouldn't be near as much cross mapping if the zoom weren't so accurate. And Halo 4's primary rifle, whatever it may end up being, definitely needs to be 2x and hitscan.

Also, nobody used SMG, Plasma Rifle, and Spiker because most of them were useless and they didn't start you with a dual wield weapon, thus no reason to pick any of these up. The Magnum was a piece of shit, bar none. Too many useless weapons in that game. The only useless weapons in others would be Halo 2's Needler and Reach's Plasma Repeater.

Tawpgun

When a Wraith shot hits the trees in AotcR/Two Betrayals, snow falls from 'em. Nice little touch.

A wraith shot should instantly vaporize any snow it comes near. Unrealistic. 343/Saber/Certain Affinity are shit.

P.S. The AA's kill some of the maps... Mostly due to jetpack shenanigans.

Anyone else noticed that the cool sun shaft effect you could see when looking at the sun with trees obscuring it is not present anymore with the remastered graphics ? You can easily spot the difference by pressing select to shift between old and new engine.

Monocle

Anyone else noticed that the cool sun shaft effect you could see when looking at the sun with trees obscuring it is not present anymore with the remastered graphics ? You can easily spot the difference by pressing select to shift between old and new engine.
The first and worst of a parade of graphical disappointments in the second level.

Top Bottom