• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say, The Library is absolutely gorgeous now. I just got to the part where you can see down into the golden chasm below, with the weird energy rings emitting from the ceiling. It's seriously breathtaking. Well done, Saber + 343.

It's funny going back to the Halo CE campaign, and seeing all these battlefields that I remembered feeling so packed and epic... feel so sparse. A cluster of enemies here, a few dudes there, and just a ton of space between.

GloveSlap

The range was impacted because of 1) the wild netcode, and 2) the bullet travel/spread on the Battle Rifle. Combine both and it is not a fun experience. That's why people were thrilled with hitscan was announced in returning.

Difference between that and the other two Halo MP games, Halo 2's BR was both hitscan and 2x, but had its aim assist drop while the enemy were further away. Balance out nicely. The DMR's issue is the 3x zoom, because having hitscan is fantastic. There wouldn't be near as much cross mapping if the zoom weren't so accurate. And Halo 4's primary rifle, whatever it may end up being, definitely needs to be 2x and hitscan.

Also, nobody used SMG, Plasma Rifle, and Spiker because most of them were useless and they didn't start you with a dual wield weapon, thus no reason to pick any of these up. The Magnum was a piece of shit, bar none. Too many useless weapons in that game. The only useless weapons in others would be Halo 2's Needler and Reach's Plasma Repeater.

Yeah. The problem was never that the BR was too good, it was that other guns were to shitty. Take the needler for example, it was a joke in Halo 2. They finally made it formidable in Halo 3 and surprise surprise, people actually picked it up.

I just love the rhythm of the battle rifle, I like how you had time between when you had to aim your shots. The DMR and carbine are too spammy in comparison. It is a pain in the ass trying to keep your right thumb still while jamming on the trigger with your index finger.

RSP

Gentlemen.

I have recently purchased this video game.

I am playing it on legendary.

I am enjoying it very much.

Thank you.

Trey

It's funny going back to the Halo CE campaign, and seeing all these battlefields that I remembered feeling so packed and epic... feel so sparse. A cluster of enemies here, a few dudes there, and just a ton of space between.

Still feels great to me. Even harder, too. For some reason.

Still feels great to me. Even harder, too. For some reason.

This I agree with.

I was ready to break the disk in half on Assault the Control Room on Herioc. I shoot a Wraith tank four fucking times with a Scorpion tank, it's fine, it shoots me once and it's an instant kill? WTF?

... I don't know, the story beats are better in this one, and the whole experience has a tighter feel, but I would stick take the epic moments from Halo 3 campaign over the actual events in Halo: CE.

Now my MEMORIES of the events in CE? I would take those over Halo 3. But I'm finding they were colored by nostalgia.

Striker

You obviously missed.

And for me, the epic moments in Halo 3 are very slim. A moment in Tsavo Highway in the vehicle battle, and the Scarab battle later in the game. The first Scarab fight I just cannot find that appealing. Halo 2 also had a few great moments, like those found in Delta Halo and Metropolis. Those games just don't have the consistency CE had.

Halo CE had either a fantastic setting, or moment, in every level sans Pillar of Autumn, really. I missed those indoor Covenant areas.

... I don't know, the story beats are better in this one, and the whole experience has a tighter feel, but I would stick take the epic moments from Halo 3 campaign over the actual events in Halo: CE.
By and large, Halo 3's battles (and much of this applies to ODST as well) are bigger, more refined, and versatile than any in Halo: CE. This applies to the interior scenes as well. None of the interior combat in Halo: CE (PoA, latter half of T&R, indoors of AotCR, Keyes, The Library, The Maw) come close to interior combat of Crow's Nest.

The Maw, like Keyes, has monster closets. I can't believe I didn't notice them before, but it's nowhere near as bad (thankfully). Even in places where it doesn't make sense, like at the top of the ramps leading up to the engine core.

I'm going through Legendary (sans bandana) for the levels I like (TSC, Halo, AotCR, T&R, 343 GS). Really enjoying it. After I get the achievement for Legendary completion, all I'll have is the co-op achievements, an AotCR achievement, and the "complete a level with three skulls on" achievement which I plan on doing on AotCR. Fun times ahead with the game.

Proc

I picked this up last night and it had reminded me how great this game is. Im very happy with my purchase. Id say the campaign will be an fps i return to as often as half life 2 and doom 2. Nostalgia feels good when the chords are strummed this well.

blamite

AoTCR is ridiculosly frustrating even on Heroic. The ice bridge above the control room has killed me more than maybe any single spot in any other Halo game. I'm not looking forward to going through hat on Legendary.

Trey

Can anyone give an exact list, but not the location, of all the levels that have skulls and terminals on them.

ElRenoRaven

Can anyone give an exact list, but not the location, of all the levels that have skulls and terminals on them.

That's easy. Every level has a terminal. Only the level
Keyes
does not have a skull. These levels have 2 skulls:

Halo
Silent Cartographer
Assault on the Control Room
Library

AoTCR is ridiculosly frustrating even on Heroic. The ice bridge above the control room has killed me more than maybe any single spot in any other Halo game. I'm not looking forward to going through hat on Legendary.
You crazy, that bridge is easy peasy. Carry the sniper rifle with you, take out the Elite closest to the Banshee and it's yours for the taking.

Sai

Went through The Pillar of Autumn on Legendary by myself when the game first came out, then decided to put CEA on the back burner and wrap up AC: Revelations & Skyward Sword until a friend of mine got some free time in order to run through the game together on co-op.

Depending on how our schedules match up, I may decide to wrap it up by myself a bit later though.

I'm really lovin' the new sound effects for the weapons; Sniper sounds so beast now. And that remix for The Gun Pointed At The Head of the Universe?... ♥

... Also, why is there still slowdown in this game even in classic mode? :I

MooMoo

A while back I played the Anniversary maps in multiplayer. Won 15 games in a row; felt so good :p Hopefully I'll find the time to finish the campaign in a few weeks after exams are over.

Also no one ever answered my previous issue/question, so I'll just repost it really quickly: are certain sound effects purposefully missing (i.e. some vehicle noises, footsteps, etc.)? It took a while to notice it but I noticed it while playing AotCR when the tank wasn't making any movement noises and you couldn't hear MC's footsteps while walking on ice.

My friend and I played the last level. We got to the final race. It froze and we had to go back to the menu.

Times like these I wish they had implemented the checkpoint system.

Just finally watched the 11th Terminal. Totally forgot about it until now. I remember someone saying that Frankie misspoke in an interview and mentioned 12 terminals? We confirmed that to be an actual mistake right? Not a hint that there's still a hidden terminal somewhere?

Just finally watched the 11th Terminal. Totally forgot about it until now. I remember someone saying that Frankie misspoke in an interview and mentioned 12 terminals? We confirmed that to be an actual mistake right? Not a hint that there's still a hidden terminal somewhere?

I heard that the 12th terminal isn't real. But also heard on Halowaypoint there is a vid that is locked to see when you put in the symbols from the end of the terminal vids.

Also, do we have any clue if HALO 4 will be at the VGAs? I will be so sad and depressed if it aint there with some ingame goodness.

I heard that the 12th terminal isn't real. But also heard on Halowaypoint there is a vid that is locked to see when you put in the symbols from the end of the terminal vids.

Also, do we have any clue if HALO 4 will be at the VGAs? I will be so sad and depressed if it aint there with some ingame goodness.
No twelfth terminal, no Halo 4 trailer at the VGAs. Frankie confirmed that here on GAF.

No idea what that extra video will turn out to be, but it isn't a terminal. I'd guess we weren't supposed to find it yet and will eventually be a new trailer. Time will tell.

No twelfth terminal, no Halo 4 trailer at the VGAs. Frankie confirmed that here on GAF.

No idea what that extra video will turn out to be, but it isn't a terminal. I'd guess we weren't supposed to find it yet and will eventually be a new trailer. Time will tell.

No HALO 4 at VGAs?

I do not know if i should be excited for any suprises or worried that the game isn't doing well that they want to hide it till release.

wwm0nkey

No HALO 4 at VGAs?

I do not know if i should be excited for any suprises or worried that the game isn't doing well that they want to hide it till release.

OR if they have a bigger marketing budget than Halo 3 (which is very likely) then they are probably waiting for the Super Bowl.

OR if they have a bigger marketing budget than Halo 3 (which is very likely) then they are probably waiting for the Super Bowl.

That would freaking rock. I just want some HALO 4 media. I have never been as excited for any HALO news since HALO 2.

My body is ready

That would freaking rock. I just want some HALO 4 media. I have never been as excited for any HALO news since HALO 2.

My body is ready

I just don't think the VGAs are big enough for the reveal of the new Halo trilogy / Halo 4. VGAs have become big, but I think e3 would be the spot to do it. The only problem with that is it's so late in the year by then...the Superbowl would be a great idea. Xbox's Feb event is good, too, but I vote for the Superbowl.

wwm0nkey

I just don't think the VGAs are big enough for the reveal of the new Halo trilogy / Halo 4. VGAs have become big, but I think e3 would be the spot to do it. The only problem with that is it's so late in the year by then...the Superbowl would be a great idea. Xbox's Feb event is good, too, but I vote for the Superbowl.

Im going to say Superbowl for a few reasons. The marketing budget is guaranteed to be bigger than Halo 3 and due to 0 marketing for Halo CEA, Call of Duty has taken the spot light and a Superbowl ad like Halo 3 would shove Halo right back up there. Also if it misses the VGAs it just makes since to go with the next (better) thing.

Im going to say Superbowl for a few reasons. The marketing budget is guaranteed to be bigger than Halo 3 and due to 0 marketing for Halo CEA, Call of Duty has taken the spot light and a Superbowl ad like Halo 3 would shove Halo right back up there. Also if it misses the VGAs it just makes since to go with the next (better) thing.

I agree...but there is advertising for Halo Anniversary. I see ads in magazines and websites quite frequently. It is definitely not as big as the other Halo ad campaigns, though. I don't recall any commercials for it.

wwm0nkey

I agree...but there is advertising for Halo Anniversary. I see ads in magazines and websites quite frequently. It is definitely not as big as the other Halo ad campaigns, though. I don't recall any commercials for it.

I don't count magazine ads as massive advertisements.

Just finished reading Cryptum. Hype levels for Halo 4 are at an all time high for me. The Forerunner story has been the most interesting bit of Halo lore for some time now (Iris really kicked it off), and seeing those tales expanded upon in these books has been incredible. It feels like I've been handed a book of answers to a ton of my questions. Cannot wait until Primordium, and of course Halo 4!

I still need to get Anniversary, but the Terminals and their relation to the Forerunner story have propelled it to the top of my to do list. Guys, Halo.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Halo:CE has the best close mid, and distance combat of any fps. I had forgotten how amazing this game is. I've played, finished, and very much loved all the other Halos, but this is by far my favorite. I think Bungie concocted a magical recipe that to this day they haven't figured out how to replicate. I'm thinking of trying to play through 2/3/ODST next, just to have them all fresh in my head before Halo 4 next year. But I'm not so sure I trust 343 to reach even the lows that Bungie hit over the last decade, let alone the highs.

Halo:CE has the best close mid, and distance combat of any fps. I had forgotten how amazing this game is. I've played, finished, and very much loved all the other Halos, but this is by far my favorite. I think Bungie concocted a magical recipe that to this day they haven't figured out how to replicate. I'm thinking of trying to play through 2/3/ODST next, just to have them all fresh in my head before Halo 4 next year. But I'm not so sure I trust 343 to reach even the lows that Bungie hit over the last decade, let alone the highs.

Believe

The Antitype said:
Again, I'll agree. Pointless power weapon in a game that already had the RL and the Laser.

I disagree, as the brute shot could used to suppress opponents to stay in certain areas. Also, in H3 MP, it tipped Warthogs quite well. An anti-vehicle weapon that doesn't insta-destroy, like the RL and Laser, and is not available to everyone to start (fuckn' Reach's DMR) is a good thing.

Trey said:
Reach pistol is quite underpowered, I feel. It can't really touch someone, and only a terrible person will be killed from full by it at range.

It's the recoil, which is too high to get consistent headshots. The original CE pistol had very little recoil making it too overpowering and easy to use- the added recoil in the Anniversary pistol is a solid happy-medium.

The Xtortionist said:
I'll make you a deal. You can have your long kill times if I can have no recharging shields.

Because that's what it comes down to essentially. You work your ass off with the DMR at range and the opponent ducks behind something for a few seconds and emerges unscathed. It's a bit demoralizing.

In objective-based games (which are the only games that should be played on larger maps), getting to the objective area overall is just as, if not more, important than killing the opponents. While large maps will usually have vehicles, there still needs to a way for infantry to reach the objective without always being killed before reaching that point. A starting weapon with high accuracy at longer ranges makes this process extremely difficult and ultimately not fun.

Also, many times it's not a good idea to give away your position by shooting at anyone you see, especially from across the other side in a larger map. You shouldn't be engaging in every possible battle, as a player's stealthiness can be just as important as his/her shot accuracy in such types of games.

Tunavi

Banned
I disagree, as the brute shot could used to suppress opponents to stay in certain areas. Also, in H3 MP, it tipped Warthogs quite well. An anti-vehicle weapon that doesn't insta-destroy, like the RL and Laser, and is not available to everyone to start (fuckn' Reach's DMR) is a good thing.
I wish the Grenade launcher replaced the rocket launcher in reach. The thing takes skill to use and its powerful in the right hands, but its not 4 free kills like the RL is.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

The "12th" Terminal was accessed when you entered in a code "wakeupjohn" on the Terminal Forerunner symbol entry site.

It was a blank video with a standard tv testcard coloured stripes and subtitles from the first line of the recent CEA launch trailer.

So it wasn't a proper terminal, just something 343 were testing and didn't expect folks to come across as they took it down.

If anything, it means the Forerunner symbol entry site will likely be used more in future.

And Frankie has downplayed Halo 4 at the VGA's. He's pretty such said it ain't happening and not to expect it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Halo Anniversary mode has faces I can't unsee...

MEFXI.jpg

Trey

Finished it on heroic.

Still bloody magnificent. Modern FPS devs need to look at this shit and see how they've lost their way.

They can't see you over all the money they're making, unfortunately. It's just as much the consumer's fault as the devs. The market has spoken. :(

desertdroog

Finally got a chance to play this on Friday evening. Bought the game on release day and have spent some time in Coop with my brother, on Legendary.

The gameplay still holds up after all these years. I've missed the plasma pistol and magnum combo, and the indestructible Warthog.

FyreWulff

Anniversary's 15th skull

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1115071

kornman00 said:
Now, I checked the game files to make sure that the skull didn't appear ANYWHERE in the game (so I didn't inadvertently ruin an easter egg). It doesn't, so no complaints!
Anyway, if you're like me you probably noticed "hey, there's enough room for 15 skulls total, I wonder if they were going to include a 15th one?". It appears they were. There's a 15th skull that (when enabled) tweaks some of the sound code's logic.

My educated guess? It may have been an attempt at IWHBYD. The skull's code may not have been finished, hence why it wasn't included in the file game. And the only skull that is unlocked by DLC is Grunt Funeral, so this won't be DLC in the future (unless, possibly, they do a TU to finish support for it).

I guess I could mod the game and figure out *exactly* what it does, but I really don't care that much.

Welp, thought maybe you guys would find it interesting at the very least.

monome

And Frankie has downplayed Halo 4 at the VGA's. He's pretty such said it ain't happening and not to expect it.

Frankie stole Christmas...
but with the E3 video and Halofest teaser behind, we can expect something savory for next time. For the VGA's I wouldn't have minded a CG sequence with a reverse camera showing Chief'upper torso and helmet evading projectiles and stuff and giving a small glimpse of interiors, add a cool music and a bit of dialogue with Cortana and voilà, you got my pants wet.

Well, there is Primordium coming soon which will certainly be a not so subtle ad for 2012 Halo's madness.

Top Bottom