• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Ramirez

Devin Olsen said:
For those of you complaining about the manual, when is the last time you actually used an instruction manual? Honestly they are practically useless in this day and age, and if it saves trees/the environment by skimping on the manual than I am more than happy.

IAWTP.

Did you guys forget the controls to Halo or something?

I enjoy reading paper Halo manuals on the toilet.

And OWV you did a real nice job with the story intros in the Halo 2 and 3 manuals.

TheOddOne

Deadly Cyclone said:
I say do away with all manuals. Put them in game. Then charge me $55 since you took half my box plastic too.
Dutch media store I go to sells all games on release date 55 bucks. Feels good man.

GhaleonEB said:
And there's the line to cross if you want to re-imagine the campaign. Much of Halo is the way it is because of launch deadlines, not planned development. Reused levels, un-usable Wraiths, and so on. Touch one, and it opens a can of worms.

Me, I'd still prefer that. I was hoping for a rejuvenation of the campaign in a way that did alter the core, the missions, the encounters, and so on to take advantage of modern tech and the benefit of hindsight. That's not the kind of remake it is, though, it's one that stays faithful to the original game.

Having accepted that fact, I'm impressed with how much they were able to cobble into the game while still retaining the core. The new visuals, new music, beefed up sound effects, terminals, skulls, online co-op...it's a pretty meaty package. Would I have preferred a bigger overhaul? Yup. But there's no telling how many people that would have alienated. I have no idea. I think it's one kind of remake done about as well as you can do it, and I've come to appreciate the approach for what it is rather than what it is not.
True, true.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
TheOddOne said:
Dutch media store I go to sells all games on release date 55 bucks. Feels good man.
Why are you not playing Skyrim right now! >:-O

I'm just jelly

TheOddOne

omg.kittens said:
Why are you not playing Skyrim right now! >:-O

I'm just jelly
Family is visiting :|

I love 'em, but they really have bad timing (
They also ruined my Halo 3: ODST launch day
).

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ehhhh, I don't know if I can let go of my boxed copies just yet. I like having that security. :p
That's perfectly acceptable, and it is how it is for PC games now.

Want the box? Pay an extra $10.00.
Want the digital download? Save $10.00.

I would be perfectly happy with that option for console games.

Add in pre-loading the game before launch day and midnight unlock... It would be amazing.

EGG

Neo Member
Wow it's so close. I can't believe I won't be able to play it on launch day. Such a sad time, but alas when your brother keeps your Xbox at home, what can you do?

feel

To any HaloGAF regular that is not planning to play the CEA maps on the Vanilla Reach playlists during launch, could I have your Reach map pack code on launch day so I can join the CEA multiplayer fun using Reach at the same time as the rest of you guys?? My copy will arrive like a week later and I would give you my code then.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Dax01 said:
I'm slightly confused. Do all the new maps come on the disc and through the download code?
Yes. The download code is included so the maps show up with your Halo: Reach disc.

Spasm

Devin Olsen said:
Awesome job on the OT Ghal.

For those of you complaining about the manual, when is the last time you actually used an instruction manual? Honestly they are practically useless in this day and age, and if it saves trees/the environment by skimping on the manual than I am more than happy.
Bring home a new game. First order of business, read the manual on the can. Tradition since 1985.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Out of everything about CEA, I think I'm looking forward to hunting down the skulls + terminals the most. The new Reach MP maps look great, but I mostly just want to explore Installation 04 again. Skulls + terminals will add an extra sense of surprise and achievement to that adventure.

darthbob

Devin Olsen said:
That's perfectly acceptable, and it is how it is for PC games now.

Want the box? Pay an extra $10.00.
Want the digital download? Save $10.00.

I would be perfectly happy with that option for console games.

Add in pre-loading the game before launch day and midnight unlock... It would be amazing.

Steam for consoles!

darthbob

Dax01 said:
Oh okay. So I won't need the download code if I have all my Reach maps installed on the hard drive?

I don't think that's what David means.

The PPC download would allow you to use the CEA maps with the Halo Reach disc/GoD.

What it sounds like you're saying is that if you have the Halo Reach disc on GoD or via physical disc, then you can play the original maps through the CEA-Reach portal?

Woorloog

Banned
omg.kittens said:
Out of everything about CEA, I think I'm looking forward to hunting down the skulls + terminals the most. The new Reach MP maps look great, but I mostly just want to explore Installation 04 again. Skulls + terminals will add an extra sense of surprise and achievement to that adventure.
Same here.
And maybe this time we'll (me and a friend) try to break out of the maps like we did in Halo 2. That was awesome! Then Halo 3 came and broke that :/
I hope Halo 4 won't have any barriers. Let us break the game if we wish.

Dax01 said:
Oh okay. So I won't need the download code if I have all my Reach maps installed on the hard drive?
No? If you want to play the Anniversary maps and the Reach maps, you must use the download code to download the maps. If not use the codes, you have access to a) Reach + DLC only or b) only Anniversary maps via CEA.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hypertrooper said:
No? If you want to play the Anniversary maps and the Reach maps, you must use the download code to download the maps. If not use the codes, you have access to a) Reach + DLC only or b) only Anniversary maps via CEA.
This.

CEA disc has the Anniversary maps, and if you use just that disc you can play all the Anniversary maps. If you want to use these maps via your copy of Halo: Reach you'll need to use the code and download the map pack.

Nutter

Dax01 said:
You need the download code if you want to play the Anniversary maps in Reach proper.

edit: beaten twice.

feel

lybertyboy said:
This.

CEA disc has the Anniversary maps, and if you use just that disc you can play all the Anniversary maps. If you want to use these maps via your copy of Halo: Reach you'll need to use the code and download the map pack.
If the Reach map pack is already done and will be a DLC item on xbox live on release day, why won't it be up for sale on that day?

edit- nevermind, I just realized it's a business decision to maximize CEA sales.

edit2-
also nevermind on my request for a code trade from a few post up guys, I'll just have the person who gets my CEA copies on launch day there in the US open one and send me the code.. duh!!!!!

1) is the download code free with purchase of Anniversary?

2) if I want to play all (launch+DLC+Anniversary) Reach maps, I have to download the Anniversary maps on my hard drive and use the Reach disc, right?

3) is it possible to use the Anniversary disc and have access to all Reach maps?

Nutter

Letters said:
If the Reach map pack is already done and will be a DLC item on xbox live on release day, why won't it be up for sale on that day?

edit- nevermind, I just realized it's a business decision to maximize CEA sales.
Yeah, I was about to say "are you really asking why?" hah.

The Lamonster said:

2) if I want to play all (launch+DLC+Anniversary) Reach maps, I have to download the Anniversary maps on my hard drive and use the Reach disc?

3) is it possible to use the Anniversary disc and have access to all Reach maps?
1) With every new purchase, yes.
2) Yes.
3) No.

feel

^
GoD version of Reach will be pretty handy so I don't have to switch discs if I want to play some CEA mp with friends while another game (say, Skyrim or Metal gear) is in the tray.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
oddworld18 said:
for reals? that's awesome.

the Disc Security beta: the gift that keeps on giving

You still need to install the maps from the code, but in that scenario, there is no disc swapping at all. No discs, in fact.

OuterWorldVoice said:
You still need to install the maps from the code, but in that scenario, there is no disc swapping at all. No discs, in fact.

so im assuming the "multiplayer" menu option just runs a separate reach executable, and it's coded to look for the GoD version first before the on-disc CEA one? kind of the way Chaos Theory worked on the OG xbox/PC - literally two separate executables that were effectively their own game.

lybertyboy said:
This.

Erm. Sorry. That wasn't what I was asking. I'm asking if I need the code to play the Reach maps, if I have the game installed to my hard drive, through my Anniversary disc. Do I need the code to play the Reach maps that are on the Reach disc itself and the Defiant/Noble map packs?

OuterWorldVoice said:

Any word on the size of the map pack for those with small hd's?

Dax01 said:
Erm. Sorry. That wasn't what I was asking. I'm asking if I need the code to play the Reach maps, if I have the game installed to my hard drive, through my Anniversary disc. Do I need the code to play the Reach maps that are on the Reach disc itself and the Defiant/Noble map packs?
lol. What are you asking? You can't play the Reach maps through the Anniversary disc. If you want to play them, you still need to launch the Reach disc (or the GonD version of Reach)

The Lamonster asked nearly the same question a few post above you:
The Lamonster said:

2) if I want to play all (launch+DLC+Anniversary) Reach maps, I have to download the Anniversary maps on my hard drive and use the Reach disc, right?

Hypertrooper said:
1) With every new purchase, yes.
2) Yes.
3) No.

And frankie confirmed and fixed my post.

Demoncarnotaur said:
So, this will be the first Halo game that I havent got on launch day (other than Halo CE). Not out of choice of course, im just broke. Oh school, how you take my money.. =/

Heres hoping those Grunt Funeral codes are in all copies of the game for a while..

On the other hand, I still cant wait for its release. Also, nice and simple OT.. I do have a thing for big ones as well, but this gets to the point.
Check your pms.

So, this will be the first Halo game that I havent got on launch day (other than Halo CE). Not out of choice of course, im just broke. Oh school, how you take my money.. =/

Heres hoping those Grunt Funeral codes are in all copies of the game for a while..

On the other hand, I still cant wait for its release. Also, nice and simple OT.. I do have a thing for big ones as well, but this gets to the point.

blamite

Dax01 said:
As I understand it, there's no way to play Reach maps through the Anniversary disc. The code lets you play Anniversary maps through the Reach disc. Otherwise each game's maps are locked to that specific game.

This reminds me, it's not possible to play Noble/Defiant maps through Anniversary, from the sound of it? That's lame, it's Reach DLC and Anniversary uses Reach multiplayer. DLC maps should be available from either version of the game.

blamite said:
As I understand it, there's no way to play Reach maps through the Anniversary disc. The code lets you play Anniversary maps through the Reach disc. Otherwise each game's maps are locked to that specific game.
Well that sucks. :/

clav

What is going to be the default MP playlist for Anniversary?

The answer will be my buying decision.

Is it going to be classic rules (e.g. jump height, weapon attributes, faster movement) or is it going to be the Reach perks (e.g. Sprint, Jetpack)?

I know the MP engine is the Reach engine. Answer the question.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:
What is going to be the default MP playlist for Anniversary?

The answer will be my buying decision.

Is it going to be classic rules (e.g. jump height, weapon attributes, faster movement) or is it going to be the Reach perks (e.g. Sprint, Jetpack)?

I know the MP engine is the Reach engine. Answer the question.

There are anniversary playlists which try to replicate classic Halo gameplay which means no armor abilities, classic 3SK pistol.

clav

PsychoRaven said:
There are anniversary playlists which try to replicate classic Halo gameplay which means no armor abilities, classic 3SK pistol.
You didn't answer the question.

What is the default playlist?

clav

Zeouterlimits said:
I'm not sure I fully understand.
Do you you mean the first playlist in the list?
Yes the playlist that defaults the first time a user plays Anniversary MP.

What is it going to be?

No one played Classic in Reach because it was buried in the menus.

Woorloog

Banned
claviertekky said:
No one played Classic in Reach because it was buried in the menus.
LOL. Wasn't the reason. OP 'nades, OP AR, FW maps... Urgh.
I wonder if Anniversary will have a classic Halo list without 3SK pistol. Might actually play the new maps if there is.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:
You didn't answer the question.

What is the default playlist?

What? There is no default playlist. There never has been in any of the games. There are multiple playlists you can pick from and have been since Halo 2 days.

Top Bottom