• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Pizza Hut are doing a Halo Anniversary pizza.

I have no idea how the toppings were picked.

KpQu0.jpg

clav

Woorloog said:
LOL. Wasn't the reason. OP 'nades, OP AR, FW maps... Urgh.
I wonder if Anniversary will have a classic Halo list without 3SK pistol. Might actually play the new maps if there is.
People usually default the first playlist that's on the game.

See Call of Duty.

PsychoRaven said:
What? There is no default playlist. There never has been in any of the games. There are multiple playlists you can pick from and have been since Halo 2 days.
Team Slayer is the default one in Reach.

Halo 2 was Rumble Pit.

feel

claviertekky said:
You didn't answer the question.

What is the default playlist?
What do you mean, the first one of the list? There's no default playlist, everyone plays the one their prefer. There will be 5 Anniversary playlists, the most popular one and first on the list will probably be the Slayer+Objective one with Classic rules.

cjelly said:
Pizza Hut are doing a Halo Anniversary pizza.

I have no idea how the toppings were picked.
Yeah, saw a video of it on YouTube, little to no Halo association at all, it's just a pizza, no pamphlet or whatever, feels like a complete waste of a promotion.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
What do you mean, the first one of the list? There's no default playlist, everyone plays the one their prefer. There will be 5 Anniversary playlists, the most popular one will probably be the Slayer+Objective one with Classic rules

Exactly. There is no such thing as a default playlist. Never has been. You go to the matchmaking menu and pick your playlist and it lists them all right there.

clav

Letters said:
What do you mean, the first one of the list? There's no default playlist, everyone plays the one their prefer. There will be 5 Anniversary playlists, the most popular one and first on the list will probably be the Slayer+Objective one with Classic rules.
No. The first one that a player doesn't change the playlist settings.
PsychoRaven said:
Exactly. There is no such thing as a default playlist. Never has been. You go to the matchmaking menu and pick your playlist and it lists them all right there.
There's always a populated one which is the default. Team Deathmatch or Team Slayer.

Petrichor

Photolysis said:
For me, no campaign has surpassed the original despite its flaws. Indeed I would say for years that Bungie tried to play catchup to that, and figure out what made it work, but I appreciate this is very subjective. I dismiss H2's campaign as being utter shit and a bland, badly written, disjointed experience, but I'm sure there'll be plenty out there who will think I'm out of my mind for holding such a view.

I see the many ways the original campaign and gameplay could be improved upon without destroying the brilliance of what is already there, but I have doubts on whether anyone could actually make those visions into a reality. It would require an extremely detailed understanding of what's good, and a very subtle touch. And I haven't seen the evidence that there's a developer out there that possesses that, whether that be 343i, Bungie, or someone else.

As an example, lets consider some of the revisualised areas in CEA. Obviously I'm going to have to wait until I get it to make a more complete analysis, but for all the shots that appear to be a fitting remake whilst keeping true to the spirit of the original and the architectural themes established through the franchise, there have been just as many where it doesn't seem to fit, or something is out of place. It might look great, but it doesn't fit, and more importantly it's had to be brought up by fans because the developers haven't realised that.

I agree completely. Whether it be by accident or not, Halo :CE just worked as a package in a way that no bungie halo game has since.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:

There's always a populated one which is the default. Team Deathmatch or Team Slayer.

Because a playlist has the most players doesn't make it a default playlist. The population of a playlist varies on the taste of the users. You should be asking what is going to be the most popular playlist and not default because as said there is no default playlist.

darthbob

ElzarTheBam said:
Awesome what country? With a bit of luck I should have mine this weekend, hopefully.

Well his country says The Netherlands.

They're 'notorious' for scoffing at street dates.

feel

claviertekky said:

Reach disproves that, the most populated playlist is usually Living Dead, not Team Slayer. Casuals have learned to switch playlists over the years. Booting from the CEA disc the default one will most likely be either the TeamSlayer+Objective one or FreeFor All one, I think noone other than 343i knows.

clav

Letters said:
Reach disproves that, the most populated playlist is usually Living Dead, not Team Slayer. Casuals have learned to switch playlists over the years. Booting from the CEA disc the default one will most likely be either the TeamSlayer+Objective one or FreeFor All one, I think noone other than 343i knows.
Hope Frankie speaks.

CyReN

My Gamestop is sorta doing a midnight for this game, they are having one for Saint Row 3/Assassin Creed but said I could pick it up then. Anybody else have any news on it?

You know, it's funny. I could've sworn Frankie or David said on here you could access the Reach maps through your Anniversary disc. Hm...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dax01 said:
You know, it's funny. I could've sworn Frankie or David said on here you could access the Reach maps through your Anniversary disc. Hm...

Nope. Possible we said something intepreted as that. But the execution path has not ever changed.

Dax01 said:
You shouldn't take such stuff at noon. Didn't your mom tell that this stuff is even unhealty?

Hitmonchan107 said:
Real men let their beards talk for them.
My beard can only speak schwäbisch. No one understand him.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Nope. Possible we said something intepreted as that. But the execution path has not ever changed.
I must've interpreted incorrectly because I've had that execution in my mind for quite awhile.

feel

Dax01 said:
I'm pretty sure one of them hinted at that in a post, but it was a long while ago so 343i probably didn't have the details of MP compatibility completely finalized yet.

edit- oh

I thought they said at Halofest that if you install Reach to your HDD you could access those maps from Anniversary. Is that not the case?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Barrow Roll said:
I thought they said at Halofest that if you install Reach to your HDD you could access those maps from Anniversary. Is that not the case?

Here are scenarios:

Just Anniv disc - Launch ONLY anniversary maps from disc menu. Play with Reach and Anniv players.
Reach install - Install maps using included code, launch from Anniv or Reach disc menus.
Reach GonD - Install maps using included code, launch from Reach menu, or Anniv disc menu
Just DLC - install like any other DLC. Play from disc or GonD install.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

Just Anniv disc - Launch ONLY anniversary maps from disc menu. Play with Reach and Anniv players.
Reach install - Install maps using included code, launch from Anniv or Reach disc menus.
Reach GonD - Install maps using included code, launch from Reach menu, or Anniv disc menu
Might want to add to the OP. Lots of questions have and will continue to arise about this.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

Wait so you're saying we can't play the maps from our Halo 3 disc?

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

Gracias, this wealth of information belies your tag...except maybe the naked part.

Homeboyd

squidhands said:
Might want to add to the OP. Lots of questions have and will continue to arise about this.
Seriously. Put this shit in gold letters, font: "Rockwell Extra Bold", with exploding fireworks around it as the OP, then continue the regular OP in post 2.

PsychoRaven said:
:lol Gold Jerry, gold.

I am poor and have already broken my new year's resolution not to buy games twice (Dark Souls, Batman). How much is it for the Reach maps alone?

Edit: also, this is the first time I have laid eyes on the Hang 'Em High remake and it is a gloriously beautiful thing.

I swear, if some turd at IGN or one of those sites comes out with some bullshit about the CE gameplay being dated compared to the modern shooter, I will rage like a motherfucker, especially since bugger-all FPSs have gone past this level of shooter design.

darthbob

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

So if I install a disc copy of Reach to my HDD, I can play the original maps from CEA?

my head hurts

ElRenoRaven

PairOfFilthySocks said:
I swear, if some turd at IGN or one of those sites comes out with some bullshit about the CE gameplay being dated compared to the modern shooter, I will rage like a motherfucker, especially since bugger-all FPSs have gone past this level of shooter design.

Then prepare to rage. I guarantee you one of the sites will ding it for being dated. Of that I have zero doubt.

PsychoRaven said:
Wish I could play Halo 3 + ODST + Reach + Anniversary maps in one package. Would make an ultimate Halo LAN party disc.

pakkit

Banned
PairOfFilthySocks said:
I'm curious if 343 industries addressed the vacancy of some of the more open-maps. At the time it was just amazing to behold the vastness of the arenas, but nowadays I'd hope for more detail within the environments. I understand that they're running the original engine beneath it, so even non-interactive visual diversity would be appreciated.

pakkit said:
I'm curious if 343 industries addressed the vacancy of some of the more open-maps. At the time it was just amazing to behold the vastness of the arenas, but nowadays I'd hope for more detail within the environments. I understand that they're running the original engine beneath it, so even non-interactive visual diversity would be appreciated.

I haven't seen a lot of the game, but there certainly appears to be more foliage in the natural enviornments.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

I think this is what tripped me up. I interpreted this as you can say, still play on Swordbase in matchmaking if you have Reach installed onto your hard drive.

pakkit said:
In the Silent Cartographer, for instance, there is significantly more foliage. Additionally, you can see mountains on the horizon and cloud cover.

feel

I can't understand Frank's post very well but I don't think it matters. After I redeem the CEA code I will have access to everything MP related from the Reach GonD version.

JB1981 said:
Does Anniversary give you access to all Reach DLC released thus far?
No, just the new Classic maps. No Reach disc maps, not Reach dlc maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I just read on examiner that if you pre-order from the MS Store you're attending for the CEA midnight launch, you get a $25 GC? Would be a sweet deal if true.

Retro

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

So... wait a sec. In order to play the Anniversary maps, the anniversary disc must be used? There's no way to install the anniversary maps from the disc (I get that you can DLC them) and use the Reach disc to play them?

Or am I missing something / stupid as fuck?

MrBig

Retro said:
So... wait a sec. In order to play the Anniversary maps, the anniversary disc must be used? There's no way to install the anniversary maps from the disc (I get that you can DLC them) and use the Reach disc to play them?
Fear of losing money through people trading says no.
daedalius said:
That's exactly what you CAN do. Put in the Anniversary disc the first time and it will prompt you to install. After you install you can play ALL CEA maps with the Reach disc.
It's a download code.

daedalius

Retro said:

Or am I missing something / stupid as fuck?

That's exactly what you CAN do. Put in the Anniversary disc the first time and it will prompt you to install. After you install you can play ALL CEA maps with the Reach disc.

darthbob said:
So if I install a disc copy of Reach to my HDD, I can play the original maps from CEA?

my head hurts

There are three scenarios:

If you only have the CEA disc:
- You can play the seven Anniversary maps (six Competitve + one Firefight) from the CEA disc. No Reach disc is required.
- You will be able to access five Anniversary playlists, these include Classic/Anniversary gameplay (CE Magnum, no Armor Abilities, etc.) as well as normal Reach gameplay (i.e. with Armor Abilities).

If you have both the CEA disc and the Halo: Reach disc (or Halo: Reach Games on Demand).
- You can play the seven Anniversary maps from the CEA disc.
- You can redeem the code that comes with CEA and download the Anniversary Map Pack, which lets you play the seven Anniversary maps from your Halo: Reach disc/GonD.
- You will be able to access five Anniversary playlists from your CEA disc, or ALL of the playlists (including the five Anniversary ones) from your Halo: Reach disc/GonD. (Noble and Defiant DLC is still required for Premium Battle though.)

If you only have the Halo: Reach disc (or Halo: Reach Games on Demand).
- You will not be able to access the five Anniversary playlists at first.

- After a few weeks, you will be able to purchase and download the Anniversary Map Pack from the XBL Marketplace just like any other DLC, this lets you play the seven Anniversary maps from your Halo: Reach disc/GonD.
- Once you do this, you will be able to access ALL of the playlists (including the five Anniversary ones) from Halo: Reach. (Noble and Defiant DLC is still required for Premium Battle though.)

You can NOT:
- access the Noble or Defiant DLC from the CEA disc.
- access the Halo: Reach maps from the CEA disc (even if the Halo: Reach disc or GonD version is installed to the HD).

ncsuDuncan said:
There are three scenarios:

If you only have the CEA disc:
- You can play the seven Anniversary maps (six Competitve + one Firefight) from the CEA disc. No Reach disc is required.
- You will be able to access five Anniversary playlists, these include Classic/Anniversary gameplay (CE Magnum, no Armor Abilities, etc.) as well as normal Reach gameplay (i.e. with Armor Abilities).

If you have both the CEA disc and the Halo: Reach disc (or Halo: Reach Games on Demand).
- You can play the seven Anniversary maps from the CEA disc.
- You can redeem the code that comes with CEA and download the Anniversary Map Pack, which lets you play the seven Anniversary maps from your Halo: Reach disc/GonD.
- You will be able to access five Anniversary playlists from your CEA disc, or ALL of the playlists (including the five Anniversary ones) from your Halo: Reach disc/GonD. (Noble and Defiant DLC is still required for Premium Battle though.)

If you only have the Halo: Reach disc (or Halo: Reach Games on Demand).
- You will not be able to access the five Anniversary playlists.
- After a few weeks you will be able to purchase and download the Anniversary Map Pack from the XBL Marketplace just like any other DLC, this lets you play the seven Anniversary maps from your Halo: Reach disc/GonD.
- Once you do this, you will be able to access ALL of the playlists (including the five Anniversary ones) from Halo: Reach. (Noble and Defiant DLC is still required for Premium Battle though.)

You can NOT:
- access the Noble or Defiant DLC from the CEA disc.
- access the Halo: Reach maps from the CEA disc (even if the Halo: Reach disc or GonD version is installed to the HD).
But can I access them through the original Halo: Combat Evolved disc?

Top Bottom