• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Woorloog said:
What?
Seriously?
Okay, only Tempest is really worth playing of the DLC maps but still, WTF?

If you have those maps, install the new ones and play the whole suite from Reach. The only "constrained" scenario is for people who JUST have ANniversary, and they won't miss anything, since that's all they have.

Can I use this thread to vent about the disgusting way DLC has been handled in Reach?

I remember buying the Defiant (or was it Noble) DLC and being happy with those maps, taking a break from Reach and discovering that since I don't want to fork out for the newest DLC pack (pretty sure now that it was Noble), that I can't play any of the Defiant maps I purchased in matchmaking, since they've been locked off on a separate playlist along with the newest DLC.

Do I even want to buy the Noble maps now, if they're going to be locked away with the new CE maps?

feel

daedalius said:
That's exactly what you CAN do. Put in the Anniversary disc the first time and it will prompt you to install. After you install you can play ALL CEA maps with the Reach disc.
We recently found out that it's not a map install from disc, but instead every CEA box comes with a code for the Anniversary map pack to use in Reach.

great post Duncan, thanks.

Frank/David:

Is getting into the MM menu from the CEA disc a fast and seamless transition from the campaign part of the menu, or does it go to a black screen for a few moments and then load the Reach part of the disc separately? To the people on my friends list will it say I'm playing Anniversary or Reach when I get into matchmaking? Will the new Reach mp achievements popup while playing from the CEA disc? (in the case that it's saying I'm playing Anniversary)

Retro

MrBig said:
It's a download code.

Gotcha. For a second I was worried I'd have to keep swapping discs.

Good news for me, since I ended up picking Arkham City up at K-mart (had to take a shower right after I got home though, ew) I have a $30 coupon good until the end of November. That means I can pick up Anniversary for $10 and spend some of the savings on the last Map Pack I haven't bought.

Not that it matters since HaloGAF will probably never leave Anniversary ever again, but it'll be nice to know I have all the content, at least.

ElRenoRaven

Domino Theory said:
So if I choose to play on the Anniversary disc only, could I technically give my DLC code away to someone?

Yes. The DLC code is just to download them for use in Halo: Reach.

Cynar

Retro said:
So... wait a sec. In order to play the Anniversary maps, the anniversary disc must be used? There's no way to install the anniversary maps from the disc (I get that you can DLC them) and use the Reach disc to play them?

Or am I missing something / stupid as fuck?
It's confusing but you use a code that comes with the game that let's you do what you're asking from what I understand

TheOddOne

Scullibundo said:
Can I use this thread to vent about the disgusting way DLC has been handled in Reach?

I remember buying the Defiant (or was it Noble) DLC and being happy with those maps, taking a break from Reach and discovering that since I don't want to fork out for the newest DLC pack (pretty sure now that it was Noble), that I can't play any of the Defiant maps I purchased in matchmaking, since they've been locked off on a separate playlist along with the newest DLC.
343 looked into this, they worked their magic on the matchmaking algorithm and some DLC maps do show up. Still it doesn't come up too often, which is understandable with the split between people who have the DLC and those who don't.

Domino Theory said:
So if I choose to play on the Anniversary disc only, could I technically give my DLC code away to someone?

But is it a DLC code or just a code that allows to install the maps from the disc? (Similar to Rock Band)

TheOddOne said:
343 looked into this, they worked their magic on the matchmaking algorithm and some DLC maps do show up. Still it doesn't come up too often, which is understandable with the split between people who have the DLC and those who don't.

Its just bullshit that I can no longer play objective based games or big team games on something like Breakpoint or Tempest, because I didn't download some other map pack. What the hell did I pay for?

Letters said:
We recently found out that it's not a map install from disc, but instead every CEA box comes with a code for the Anniversary map pack to use in Reach.

great post Duncan, thanks.
Domino Theory said:
Actually, we still aren't completely sure it's download-only. It could be a situation where you can install the Anniversary Map Pack from the disc AFTER you put in the code like the way Rock Band works (i.e. it still acts like DLC and the code only works once, you just don't have to download it).

I doubt it works like that, but the word "install" has been thrown around enough for it to be a possibility.

I think it's just a download code.

feel

^ Interesring. I hope it's a proper xbl download (or at least both). I will have the code way before I have the disc
Domino Theory said:
Don't see why not. The only reason I'm not doing it is because I will need fast access to CEA mp using the GoD version of Reach so I don't have to keep swapping discs while I play other games (skyrim, etc). If CEA has its own MM menu I will buy the GoD version when it comes out and practically never look at (bad memory ridden) Reach's menus, loading screens and playlist listings ever again.

TheOddOne

Scullibundo said:
Its just bullshit that I can no longer play objective based games or big team games on something like Breakpoint or Tempest, because I didn't download some other map pack.
Yeah, I totally get that. David Ellis said over in the Reach OT that they weeded out the "low" level playlists, because well they hit a hardlock on the max of playlists (or something like that). Still this whole DLC thing should have been handled better.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
If it's just a download code then I'll give it away to someone who needs it. Otherwise, I'll keep it. And if I'm pressured by my party into playing on default Reach maps or Noble/Defiant, I'll just use Quick Launch > Halo: Reach GoD. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
Frank/David:

Is getting into the MM menu from the CEA disc a fast and seamless transition from the campaign part of the menu, or does it go to a black screen for a few moments and then load the Reach part of the disc separately? To the people on my friends list will it say I'm playing Anniversary or Reach when I get into matchmaking? Will the new Reach mp achievements popup while playing from the CEA disc? (in the case that it's saying I'm playing Anniversary)

You choose from one menu to launch either Campaign or MP. If you choose MP the background changes, you briefly see the Reach diamond pattern, then a new menu screen, with all the Reach MP UI elements. When you are playing MP, it will show as Reach, when you pla Campaign, it will show as anniversary, to folks who wish to play you.

heckfu

Banned
I guess I was too busy saving lives to note that everyone has seemingly made the transition to the CEA thread. Geez, you guys. Could've used a PM addressed to me PERSONALLY.

TheOddOne

heckfu said:
I guess I was too busy saving lives to note that everyone has seemingly made the transition to the CEA thread. Geez, you guys. Could've used a PM addressed to me PERSONALLY.
Welcome to gaming section, enjoy your stay and avoid getting a C&D letter.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
You choose from one menu to launch either Campaign or MP. If you choose MP the background changes, you briefly see the Reach diamond pattern, then a new menu screen, with all the Reach MP UI elements. When you are playing MP, it will show as Reach, when you pla Campaign, it will show as anniversary, to folks who wish to play you.
Thanks.

Do you know if the code on the box of CEA gives you a proper xbox live download of the map pack or if it's something like whatever Rock Band did? (others mentioned the possibility)

My disc will take a while to arrive but I can have someone open the box and send me the code on launch day, I hope the disc is not necesary for me to join the CEA mp using Reach on day one.

You can NOT:
- access the Noble or Defiant DLC from the CEA disc.
- access the Halo: Reach maps from the CEA disc (even if the Halo: Reach disc or GonD version is installed to the HD).
I expected the second one, but the first one is fucking bullshit. So disappointing.
Why couldn't they have done an ODST and just added a 2nd disc, or put the whole reach MP on disc 1 if there was enough room?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Letters said:
Thanks.

Do you know if the code on the box of CEA gives you a proper xbox live download of the map pack or if it's something like whatever Rock Band did? (others mentioned the possibility)

My disc will take a while to arrive but I can have someone open the box and send me the code on launch day, I hope the disc is not necesary for me to join the CEA mp using Reach on day one.

Proper download.

Karl2177

PsychoRaven said:
Ah so that's settled then. Good to hear. Any idea about how big it will be so we can make room on our HDDS for it.
I would love to know this also. My 20GB has 998 MB left on it.

EDIT: Crap. What am I going to delete?

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
Zip drive?

Oops. Meant thumb drive. lol

And there we go. Moved my GonD copy of Halo 1 over to it freeing up a bit over 2 gigs. Don't know why I ever moved that back onto my HDD anyway since I can easily play it off the thumb drive, or my disc, or even on my PC. lol

Karl2177

lybertyboy said:
Zip drive?
Yeah bro.
IOM31310_1_1.jpg

Here's a question for Frankie or David. If I install Halo CEA to my HDD (like I do with any game I play for an extended period of time), will I still have to redeem the download code for the Anniversary maps if I want to play those from Reach? If yes, then won't I essentially have two copies of those maps taking up space on my HDD? 1 from the disc install and the other from the download?

PS. It's great that you guys are taking the time to answer some of our questions. Thanks.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Barrow Roll said:
Here's a question for Frankie or David. If I install Halo CEA to my HDD (like I do with any game I play for an extended period of time), will I still have to redeem the download code for the Anniversary maps if I want to play those from Reach? If yes, then won't I essentially have two copies of those maps taking up space on my HDD? 1 from the disc install and the other from the download?

PS. It's great that you guys are taking the time to answer some of our questions. Thanks.

In that particular situation you would have 2 installs that would included the MP maps. We recognize it's not a perfect solution, but the inclusion of thumb drives as storage mediums for the 360 make it more manageable.

Barrow Roll said:

No. You have to redeem the code and download the maps to use them in Reach.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Here are scenarios:

Just Anniv disc - Launch ONLY anniversary maps from disc menu. Play with Reach and Anniv players.
Reach install - Install maps using included code, launch from Anniv or Reach disc menus.
Reach GonD - Install maps using included code, launch from Reach menu, or Anniv disc menu
Just DLC - install like any other DLC. Play from disc or GonD install.

Edit.: Beaten.

lybertyboy said:
In that particular situation you would have 2 installs that would included the MP maps. We recognize it's not a perfect solution, but the inclusion of thumb drives as storage mediums for the 360 make it more manageable.
Luckily I have a 120GB HDD so it's no big deal. Thanks for the quick response.

Tomasooie

ncsuDuncan said:
I don't have recording equipment or a pleasant singing voice, so you'll have to do it yourself.

Play this.

And sing this:

You might as well surrender
when you're not the host
and your latency is so bad
that you're killed the most.

Wish we had a server
instead of peer to peer.
It's enough for this restless gamer
to quit and get a beer.

And can you feel the lag tonight
in this Halo game?
It's enough for this NeoGAF poster
to bitch and complain.
or is it only me?
It's enough to make tryhards ragequit
and go play Rock Band 3.

At the rate I'm moving,
I can just assume
that the host of this Firefight match
lives upon the moon.

There's no rhyme or reason
to this roll of the dice.
When your Spartan slides around,
it's Halo on Ice™.

in this Halo game?
It's enough for this NeoGAF poster
to bitch and complain.
or is it only me?
and go play Rock Band 3.

and go play Rock Band 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Zp9CNRFJE

I had to do it (with my shitty laptop mic)! There are a few parts I'd want to redo, and maybe turn up the instrumental track, but I don't want to do another take.

Cool lyrics, though!

Top Bottom